Thread: Deep Seizures?

Default Deep Seizures?

Is there a good resource to learn more about deep Seizures? Our sons ( 2 years old) neurologist has brought it up as a possibility after a problem with him tilting his head briefly has resurfaced. He had this issue previously but it stopped for several months after starting keppra.

Heís had seizure like activity but after several EEGís ( including a 24 hour ) no signs of abnormalities were present.

Any guidance is appreciated

2. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

I had never heard of "Deep Seizures" before in my life before reading your post, but guessed that it meant deep in the brain. This may help https://www.nature.com/articles/nrneurol.2016.121 as it mentions "Deep Seizures" as not being picked up by EEG. Maybe that is why his EEG keeps coming back as normal. EEG may be false negative. I will post again if I find more. As far as I understand it, head tilting can also be a sign of neurologic damage.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

4. The following user says "thanks"

Seizures often aren't picked up by the EEG. I went years with a normal EEG, because I was well controlled with meds. and didn't have any seizure activity during the EEG. My seizures returned in college and tha's when they started seeing activity on my EEG's. I was averaging 7 seizures/month, and they tried many different meds., but the changes in meds. didn't slow down my activity. So I decided to get tested for surgery.

When I had my surgery testing done I was taken off all my meds., and it would often take a few days to have a seizure. I'd be at the hospital waiting to have a seizure, so they could see if they were starting on one side, and if there was activity on both sides. I had simple partials, complex partials and secondary generalized tonic clonic seizures. If I only had a simple partial the EEG usually didn't show any activity because the activity was deep inside my temporal lobe. When the simple partial would go into a complex partial the activity would show, and the complex partial would sometimes go into a tonic clonic. Other times I'd have a simple partial that would just go into a tonic clonic and that would also show activity.

Here's a website that has good info. https://www.epilepsy.com/learn/diagn...-if-its-normal
    Life's greatest gifts are often found in friendships.

6. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Lostparent)))))) ~

Is this neuro the new neuro?

If the head tilting stopped after starting Keppra, you might consider that he needs his dose increased. He's growing, and his body is changing chemically at the age of 2, so I recommend you discuss this with the neuro. I think blood levels can be done with Keppra. If that hasn't been checked recently, I'd request a blood level. Take a trough level, which is right before the dose is due.

If his level is too low or too high, you'll need to adjust it, then have another blood level taken in a few weeks.

You might try posting your question on the Epilepsy forum here. Sometimes a new post will bring out the members to respond.

Sending healing prayers ~

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

8. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Thanks for the replies,

Earth mother this is the new neurologist. She thinks itís either deep Seizures that canít be picked up by EEG or stereotypies.

Itís also still further complicated due to him being non verbal still and has stage 3 CVI and canít tell us if itís due to his vision issues.

10. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lostparent View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks for the replies,

Earth mother this is the new neurologist. She thinks it’s either deep Seizures that can’t be picked up by EEG or stereotypies.

It’s also still further complicated due to him being non verbal still and has stage 3 CVI and can’t tell us if it’s due to his vision issues.
    I think those are both reasonable estimates of why the systems are occurring. I'm guessing your son can understand you but cannot respond. I read stereotypies can be caused by vision problems or hearing problems. Has his hearing been tested?? Forgive me if I asked that already in the other thread. Not being able to hear causes language delay so when I was delayed my hearing was tested to check for a type of deafness associated with CP/brain damage. As I said earlier my friend had a head tilt because of vertigo/lack of proprioception/disorientation, so that is also very possible.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

12. The following user says "thanks"