Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Thread: Restoration Saga

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rose, the changes you've been making all sound as if they're going to be for the good, and I'm sure that your angels are watching from somewhere and are very happy that you're doing this restoration.

You mentioned a while back that the neighbors hadn't been friendly, and this episode you just described sounds like one more instance of a difficult neighbor. They have a CAMERA in their upstairs bedroom where they watch their neighbors? Eeek. I'm glad you were able to increase your social distance with that one. I think you're smart to keep her out of your life.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

2. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Rose, I agree with Agate on the neighbor part.

I have had an opportunity to take a virtual tour of the house that my husband and I built 44 years ago in 1976. I felt like I could just step inside and feel like it was mine again. So much of what I did inside and he did outside are still there. I left 27 years ago, but I was so glad to see that house so well cared for. It is all brick, so outside of house is pretty easy, only trim had to be taken care of. But there are light fixtures, flooring, wallpaper and so much of what I chose still in that house. I am sure it would look dated if I saw it in person, but oh how I wish I could do it again. My husband just loved having a beautiful lawn and that was beautiful now, so green and luscious looking, like it was when he was keeping it. I am so glad to see that the house has obviously been loved and enjoyed. We had that built together, we chose everything about it. I remember going out there every day to see what had been done. It took six months to completion.

It is up for sell and there were 29 pictures, two of them were of community lakes. The first part of the ad read "Traditional all brick southern ranch on 1.3 acres in lovable Raleigh neighborhood! Two neighborhood lake parks, large mature tree lots. House has been very well cared for over the years."

We built something that was loved not only by us, but by someone who came after us. I hope whoever buys it this time will love it in the same way.

I think Jim and Johnathan and Michael are very proud of what you are accomplishing. Something for you to enjoy and know that they would have been so pleased for you.

Now you get two days of peace and quite.
    Virginia

4. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Be Safe

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

agate ~

Oh yes, agate, all for the good, because I'll have a new modern bathroom, with an accessible shower and toilet, a real floor, not just a piece of linoleum over old linoleum, and a lovely vanity, sink, faucet and mirror. Fresh paint. It will be an amazing transformation.

I know all three of my Angels are watching over me, helping me to keep my balance throughout this upheaval, while grieving for them. I feel them close to me. Yesterday, a hummingbird flew right up to me, while I sat on the patio. "Hello, Messenger!" It fluttered around me, and I just knew they sent it to me. We are very partial to hummingbirds, and we have many hummingbird collectibles around our home and yards.

Yes, our neighbor has a camera, and many homes do these days for security. John has one so he can see and record anyone who comes into his yard or up to his door. There are also lots of community on line associations, where residents alert people to suspicious activity in the neighborhood.

This neighbor has had a "spy" camera for decades. She and her husband also have a Manor, which backs up to the golf course. (Using the term "manor" sarcastically, because they behave as if it is.)

They aren't original owners, nor are the next door Manor occupants. Moved in sometime during the 80s. I'm the last original owner on the street.

She's always had an abrupt, almost unfiltered tone, as if she's trying too hard to be friendly and casual. I knew that she was chomping at the bit to ask me about the Pod and the constant flow of workers. It probably never occurred to her that maybe we were finally remodeling our home. People are always doing that in our neighborhood.

A couple of years ago, as I was coming home from my walk, she was in the front yard, and stopped me to "chat." But the gist of the overture was to ask why John was at our house so often. "Why is John at your house all of the time?" she snipped.

"He's our dear friend."

"That's it?"

"Okay, Jonathan weighs 200 lbs now and is filled with fluid all of the time. He needs extra help. Jim has RA, and I have RA, so John is helping us with Jonathan. Anything else?" I glared at her.

"Oh, no. Umm ... glad he can help you."

"Thanks. I have to get home to him now." I stormed off.

I didn't tell her about Jim's cancer. But with their beady eyes and camera, they saw John picking him up and bringing him home. They saw John helping Jim and me helping Jim to get in and out of the car. They saw Jim bald. They saw the ambulances, who picked him up and brought him home for treatments, in broad daylight.

They saw me doing everything, with no sign of Jim. He wasn't putting out the trash bins or bringing them in. He wasn't checking the mailbox. He wasn't watering the flowers in the front patio. He wasn't driving the van.

I'm sure that our next door neighbor can hear every conversation I have on the patio. They know.

This neighbor didn't ask me about Jim or Jonathan. Our mail carrier did. When she saw the commotion at the beginning, and I walked to her to get my mail, she asked, "How's your husband holding up with all of this?" But neither of these two neighbors has ever inquired about Jon and Jim.

It's fine. They have never been kind or our friends; they just live on our street. And this is their karma, not mine.

So, I'm very used to social distancing from them. Don't worry about that, my friend.

Virginia ~

Thank you for sharing about your home with your husband. What a testament to your taste that much of it remained the same. I'm sure memories washed over you looking at those photographs.

The setting sounds so lush and serene, and that's a good plot of land you have there. To get a property similar to what you've described would cost well over $1 million in California.

How comforting to know that the next family to live in your home loved it as you and your husband loved it. I hope that the next owners fill it with the same everlasting love.

Jim and I had been planning new bathrooms for 20 years at least. It had to come to this huge leak and mold for it to finally happen, and it happened around the time of Jim's passing. So, again, as with Michael's and Jonathan's passing, I think about whether it was timed so that I could address this crisis, before the house was completely destroyed.

Jim knew that he was reaching his journey's end. Perhaps Michael and Jonathan reached out to him to join them, so that I could save our home. I don't know, but I believe this is possible. And, it is reasonable to me.

I hope a beautiful, loving family buys your home.

MY SATURDAY

It was too cool and overcast to entice me to walk this morning. I had been up for 2 hours with intestinal discomfort. As the morning continued, I felt like a shower would give me some motivation. Not upstairs yet.

After my breakfast of oatmeal, blueberries, coconut milk and a splash of maple syrup and plenty of cinnamon, I felt better and decided to take the van for a drive through downtown. Just moving her from the driveway to a side street isn't enough to keep her fit. The sun was shining, the temperature was lovely.

Traffic was heavier than it was in March and April. Things are reopening everywhere, and that scares me. I saw several flashing signs in the medians: "Wear A Mask. Required. Be Safe."

I drove past the police department, and while I was driving, I noticed more police patrol cars on the road than I have seen in a long time. I saw 5 in the space of 1/2 hour on the road. There is no disruption here, thankfully, but I would imagine that all police and fire departments are on alert due to the protests occurring all over the country.

Of course, this violence in our country now concerns me greatly and is stressful for all of us. We have all lived through too much of this, and it needs to end.

Combined with COVID, this crisis affects all of us. However removed we are from danger physically by this uprising, we are still at risk. People gathering in large groups, some with and some without masks, not socially distancing, arm in arm in some cases. So many opportunities to spread the virus.

As a citizen, who wants to remain informed and aware, I can't avoid the news. It is a never-ending crisis, one after another.

I just pray that we are all strong enough to be able to overcome these crises.

Please be safe. Wear a mask and gloves. Throw them away after you change your environment or setting. Fresh mask, fresh gloves. Avoid crowds. Continue to self isolate as much as possible and sanitize everything delivered to you. Just be prepared.

I love you all and pray for you and your loved ones. Let there be Peace, Love, and Light guiding us now.

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Default Nearing the Finish Line

At 8:45 this morning, I heard a woman's voice calling from downstairs. I wondered if another strange, lost lady had wandered into the house.

MAGGIE

Nope. Maggie is a construction crew member! Just a sweet, young, attractive woman, who worked her buns off today. She installed the bathroom floor! And the baseboards, and painted, and went to Home Depot to pick up doorknobs, quarter round for the flooring, and probably the towel racks. She worked alongside the two less conversant guys. I've tried to engage them, joke with them, but they're not terribly cordial.

I gave Maggie a condensed version of Jim, Jon and our leak. Of course, she was sincerely sorry for my losses and promised to do her best to make everything perfect for me.

First, she showed me the bathroom flooring and asked me which direction I preferred to have it going. She said, "I think it looks best this way," the long way, the length of the bathroom rather than the width. I agreed. The guys were sawing the planks and bringing them to her, and she installed it on her own.

It looks fantastic! She told me that this is very good flooring and an excellent choice. I explained that Jim bought it in 2008/9, but our son ended up in ICU every year after that, so he never got to install it in the kitchen. I took her to the kitchen and showed her the pathetic piece of linoleum literally taped at the edge of the floor.

She said that she thinks it goes well with the shower tile, the grey, and the reddish cabinet.

Then she asked me what color I wanted to paint the bathroom. She offered to go get me samples, but I knew that would take up her work time, and I wanted this work done today. So, I said I wanted to keep the color i had, which is kind of a taupe. She suggested we go with it 20% lighter. "That opens up the room even more, brings in more light from the window, and will look very nice with the grey and red."

I so appreciated her input today. It's wonderful to have a woman's touch.

PAINT, DOORS, AND MORE

The paint is perfect. It's sort of a putty shade, which may sound too grey, but it isn't. The door jambs and baseboards are the same color. I thought that would be nice as continuity, rather than breaking it up with a lighter shade.

The doors were installed today. They look great! The original doors were hollow, and these are solid wood, with an arch design, and nice grain. Jim chose these years ago. They are the same as the ones, which he installed in Michael's room and the downstairs bathroom. When I showed them to Maggie, she said, "These are really nice, solid doors. And I love the trim your husband put around them."

She took a photo of the door handles, so I hope she was able to find some to match.

They all expected me to want them painted. Nope. I want them stained. I want to see that wood in all its beauty. It will be a clear stain.

SUPERVISOR CHAT

Supervisor arrived this morning, and we conferred with the two guys and Maggie in the bathroom. He remarked, "I see why you wanted this floor, Rose, and it looks great in here!" I'm just so grateful that after all of these years, it is in good shape. But they were in unopened boxes, so that probably helped.

We discussed the doors, and I mentioned that Jim bought 3 doors, and eventually, I'll hire a handyman to install the one for the bedroom from the landing. Supervisor, always smiling, always cheerful, winked. As he was descending the stairs, he told the guys to install the bedroom door.

I followed him into the garage, and I thanked him for installing the third door, "I will pay you for that, so just add it to the bill."

He replied, shaking his head, "No, don't worry about it. Please. In fact, I'm going to go over the estimate for the entire project and see if I can reduce it a little bit for you."

"You don't have to do that!"

"But, I want to. Please don't worry about it. You have enough happening to you. I know this has been stressful for you, and I can't imagine how hard it has been. We just want to do the best we can for you in every way. Okay? Just try to get some rest."

Am I dreaming? Really? My insurance company is generous, and my contractor is doing extra work for free and reducing my share of cost. Please, if I am dreaming, do not wake me up!!!

And, I keep telling myself and the workers that anything would look better than what was there, but this is just spectacularly wonderful. I am certain that Jim would love this bathroom. He'd be happy, as long as I am happy, so he's happy now.

And I know what to look for in craftsmanship, although I call my eye untrained. It's not. Jim set the example of craftsmanship, and every worker is told that he laid all of the floors in the house, built all of the shelves, the deck, installed all of the windows up and down, with scaffolding he built. He even built scaffolding to paint the vaulted ceiling over our stairs.

John agreed that their work is meticulous.

Since I must go through this ordeal immediately after losing Jim, I give abundant thanks for the people, who have been tending to our home with such diligence, care, and generosity.

The floor, the doors, and the remodeling of the upstairs bathroom were visions Jim and I shared for 20 years. That's obvious, since the flooring and doors were in the garage, still in excellent condition. I am positive that Jim would love this shower, the tile, the colors, the cabinet.

Oh, the cabinet! The drawers are a little difficult for me to pull out, using the bottom of the drawer. So I asked for knobs in brushed nickel. But they are self closing. As are the doors. Quiet, no slamming shut. I'm not used to that. So, it will be a learning experience for me the first time I use the bathroom. I should have someone here to walk me through it? No. That won't work.

How I long for Jim to be here physically to enjoy this bathroom with me.

I hope I have achieved a balance between rustic and modern. Like, I don't have a smart phone, but I do have an iPad.

Tomorrow

Knobs will be placed, touch up painting, installing the brushed nickel towel racks, which look lovely in the box photos. Painting garage shelves. Details.

Wednesday

Counter top in bathroom installed, sink installed, plumbing hooked up, toilet reinstalled.

Thursday

Whatever may be left, which probably won't be much.

I'll ask for Friday and the weekend off, and then Monday, the Pod will begin to be unloaded. I don't know where we'll put the contents. That will be a long and arduous road to return to whatever "normal" is.

I have no idea what "normal" is. No idea.

OUR SHARED CRISIS

My children and my husband are no longer with me physically. There's a pandemic. There are riots in the streets every day and night, buildings and vehicles burning, masses of angry protesters, who have waited far too long for justice and peace, in proximity, not social distancing, many wearing masks, but many not. Deja vu. The National Guard. Deja vu.

Scientists are predicting an increase in COVID-19 with these masses assembling. Yes, of course. We worried about people flocking to the beaches, lakes, parks over Memorial Day, and now we have thousands of people, all over the country on the streets all of the time.

We don't have to be scientists to understand that the threat of COVID-19's spread is increased with massive protests.

But, we cannot blame them for protesting, which is their right.

Our country is in deep peril right now. I apologize if this seems political in nature. I just see our country hurting, suffering, struggling, and I've lived through this, as many of us have, in the past. This is heartbreaking.

So, I send healing prayers for peace and love and light and understanding for all of us. I pray for unity and communication, and an end to violence.

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” “Hatred paralyzes life; love releases it. Hatred confuses life; love harmonizes it. Hatred darkens life; love illuminates it.” ~ Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Be safe. Be well. Keep your love light shining through all of this ~

Thank you for your love, prayers, and continuing support. I love you and pray for you and your loved ones.

Love & Light,

Rose

Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

At 8:45 this morning, I heard a woman's voice calling from downstairs. I wondered if another strange, lost lady had wandered into the house.

MAGGIE

Nope. Maggie is a construction crew member! Just a sweet, young, attractive woman, who worked her buns off today. She installed the bathroom floor! And the baseboards, and painted, and went to Home Depot to pick up doorknobs, quarter round for the flooring, and probably the towel racks. She worked alongside the two less conversant guys. I've tried to engage them, joke with them, but they're not terribly cordial.

I gave Maggie a condensed version of Jim, Jon and our leak. Of course, she was sincerely sorry for my losses and promised to do her best to make everything perfect for me.

First, she showed me the bathroom flooring and asked me which direction I preferred to have it going. She said, "I think it looks best this way," the long way, the length of the bathroom rather than the width. I agreed. The guys were sawing the planks and bringing them to her, and she installed it on her own.

It looks fantastic! She told me that this is very good flooring and an excellent choice. I explained that Jim bought it in 2008/9, but our son ended up in ICU every year after that, so he never got to install it in the kitchen. I took her to the kitchen and showed her the pathetic piece of linoleum literally taped at the edge of the floor.

She said that she thinks it goes well with the shower tile, the grey, and the reddish cabinet.

Then she asked me what color I wanted to paint the bathroom. She offered to go get me samples, but I knew that would take up her work time, and I wanted this work done today. So, I said I wanted to keep the color i had, which is kind of a taupe. She suggested we go with it 20% lighter. "That opens up the room even more, brings in more light from the window, and will look very nice with the grey and red."

I so appreciated her input today. It's wonderful to have a woman's touch.

PAINT, DOORS, AND MORE

The paint is perfect. It's sort of a putty shade, which may sound too grey, but it isn't. The door jambs and baseboards are the same color. I thought that would be nice as continuity, rather than breaking it up with a lighter shade.

The doors were installed today. They look great! The original doors were hollow, and these are solid wood, with an arch design, and nice grain. Jim chose these years ago. They are the same as the ones, which he installed in Michael's room and the downstairs bathroom. When I showed them to Maggie, she said, "These are really nice, solid doors. And I love the trim your husband put around them."

She took a photo of the door handles, so I hope she was able to find some to match.

They all expected me to want them painted. Nope. I want them stained. I want to see that wood in all its beauty. It will be a clear stain.

SUPERVISOR CHAT

Supervisor arrived this morning, and we conferred with the two guys and Maggie in the bathroom. He remarked, "I see why you wanted this floor, Rose, and it looks great in here!" I'm just so grateful that after all of these years, it is in good shape. But they were in unopened boxes, so that probably helped.

We discussed the doors, and I mentioned that Jim bought 3 doors, and eventually, I'll hire a handyman to install the one for the bedroom from the landing. Supervisor, always smiling, always cheerful, winked. As he was descending the stairs, he told the guys to install the bedroom door.

I followed him into the garage, and I thanked him for installing the third door, "I will pay you for that, so just add it to the bill."

He replied, shaking his head, "No, don't worry about it. Please. In fact, I'm going to go over the estimate for the entire project and see if I can reduce it a little bit for you."

"You don't have to do that!"

"But, I want to. Please don't worry about it. You have enough happening to you. I know this has been stressful for you, and I can't imagine how hard it has been. We just want to do the best we can for you in every way. Okay? Just try to get some rest."

Am I dreaming? Really? My insurance company is generous, and my contractor is doing extra work for free and reducing my share of cost. Please, if I am dreaming, do not wake me up!!!

And, I keep telling myself and the workers that anything would look better than what was there, but this is just spectacularly wonderful. I am certain that Jim would love this bathroom. He'd be happy, as long as I am happy, so he's happy now.

And I know what to look for in craftsmanship, although I call my eye untrained. It's not. Jim set the example of craftsmanship, and every worker is told that he laid all of the floors in the house, built all of the shelves, the deck, installed all of the windows up and down, with scaffolding he built. He even built scaffolding to paint the vaulted ceiling over our stairs.

John agreed that their work is meticulous.

Since I must go through this ordeal immediately after losing Jim, I give abundant thanks for the people, who have been tending to our home with such diligence, care, and generosity.

The floor, the doors, and the remodeling of the upstairs bathroom were visions Jim and I shared for 20 years. That's obvious, since the flooring and doors were in the garage, still in excellent condition. I am positive that Jim would love this shower, the tile, the colors, the cabinet.

Oh, the cabinet! The drawers are a little difficult for me to pull out, using the bottom of the drawer. So I asked for knobs in brushed nickel. But they are self closing. As are the doors. Quiet, no slamming shut. I'm not used to that. So, it will be a learning experience for me the first time I use the bathroom. I should have someone here to walk me through it? No. That won't work.

How I long for Jim to be here physically to enjoy this bathroom with me.

I hope I have achieved a balance between rustic and modern. Like, I don't have a smart phone, but I do have an iPad.

Tomorrow

Knobs will be placed, touch up painting, installing the brushed nickel towel racks, which look lovely in the box photos. Painting garage shelves. Details.

Wednesday

Counter top in bathroom installed, sink installed, plumbing hooked up, toilet reinstalled.

Thursday

Whatever may be left, which probably won't be much.

I'll ask for Friday and the weekend off, and then Monday, the Pod will begin to be unloaded. I don't know where we'll put the contents. That will be a long and arduous road to return to whatever "normal" is.

I have no idea what "normal" is. No idea.

OUR SHARED CRISIS

My children and my husband are no longer with me physically. There's a pandemic. There are riots in the streets every day and night, buildings and vehicles burning, masses of angry protesters, who have waited far too long for justice and peace, in proximity, not social distancing, many wearing masks, but many not. Deja vu. The National Guard. Deja vu.

Scientists are predicting an increase in COVID-19 with these masses assembling. Yes, of course. We worried about people flocking to the beaches, lakes, parks over Memorial Day, and now we have thousands of people, all over the country on the streets all of the time.

We don't have to be scientists to understand that the threat of COVID-19's spread is increased with massive protests.

But, we cannot blame them for protesting, which is their right.

Our country is in deep peril right now. I apologize if this seems political in nature. I just see our country hurting, suffering, struggling, and I've lived through this, as many of us have, in the past. This is heartbreaking.

So, I send healing prayers for peace and love and light and understanding for all of us. I pray for unity and communication, and an end to violence.

Be safe. Be well. Keep your love light shining through all of this ~

Thank you for your love, prayers, and continuing support. I love you and pray for you and your loved ones.

Love & Light,

Rose

Wonderful to hear you are making such progress on the house repair Rose! I completely agree. I'm deeply saddened by recent events and I'm extremely worried about COVID19 spreading and endangering my higher risk friends and myself.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Default Peace

funnylegs4 ~

Today, the mass of protesters in Boston was gigantic. All crammed together in a park. A surge in COVID-19 cases seems inevitable. If that is the case, we should hold those officers and the Minneapolis police department responsible for it.

On the positive side of our nation's assorted crises, my heart was lifted by a local news story yesterday. A group of Veterans are putting up tents on sidewalks, where homeless people camp. These are weatherproof tents, with a storage container and a cot and blankets. They have zippers for access/egress and privacy. I just wept as I watched these Vets put up these tents.

Here's an article about it from April, but these vets were raising the tents yesterday morning. I didn't catch the location, except that it is in L.A.

https://www.judicialwatch.org/corrup...ted-by-agency/

The Vets in the TV news story were in my age group, so they are most probably Vietnam Vets. It just breaks my heart that our veterans, all of them heroes for serving our country, are treated so abominably.

And, now, I'm sitting on my hands.

TODAY'S PROGRESS!

Maggie returned with one crew member.

DOORS

She brought two options for the doors: a conditioner and a clear satin stain. First, she applied the conditioner and asked my opinion. It brought out the grain and color of the wood nicely. Then she applied the stain. Also nice. Then after the conditioner dried, she applied the stain over it. "What do you think?"

"That's it!"

She said, "I agree, Rose, I think this combination will be very nice. And the conditioner will keep the wood healthy through the years, and the stain will help keep out the moisture."

Doors all done, she drilled holes for the door handles, and she replicated exactly the ones downstairs. Awesome!

As they concluded their work, she called down to me, "Rose! Do you want to come up and look at it?"

"Do I ever!" I said as I hobbled to the stairs. (Didn't get my walk this morning. Woke up with intestinal distress.)

Maggie said, "Look at the doors, Rose."

"They are beautiful," I teared up. "Oh, Maggie, thank you!"

She continued to admire the doors as we looked at the rest of the bathroom. "I just love your doors, Rose. Your husband had excellent taste."

At that point, I was going down the stairs, and I said, "Well, of course he had excellent taste! He married me, didn't he?"

She laughed, "Good one, Rose! And, yes!"

FIXTURES:

Brushed nickel and silver. Round drawer knobs. A long towel rail, accessible from the shower, and a round towel holder on the same wall on the sink side. A matching towel bar over the toilet, next to the counter/sink. Beautiful. Just beautiful.

All shiny and new!!!

THE FLOOR

Maggie agreed that the floor looks wonderful in the bathroom. (Of course, she could be appeasing me, but I don't think so. She was proud of her work and loved my choices.)

She said, "First, your eye is drawn to the doors, then, you open the door, and your eyeline is on the tile and the shower, then the rest of the fixtures on the walls, then the floor, and the cabinet."

We also discussed the paint/wall color. I call it putty. She said, she saw that too. Putty has a touch of brown in it, although it appears grey. "Do you think it works in this bathroom, Maggie?"

"Yes. Definitely. It's better than the darker shade you had before. Brings more light to the room."

A woman's touch, and a very intuitive Supervisor, who guided me through these choices. He knew Maggie was the one to send here now.

A PERSONAL CHAT ON THE DRIVEWAY

I told Maggie about Jim driving up to our door, how we became friends and fell in love. I told her how this muscular, fit man, who was a scaffolder, became the Father to two young adult men, my sons. That we were at their side, 24 hours a day, here or in the hospital, and this man, who built much of this home, also suctioned a trache.

She was tearing, but I held my tears in. "What does Jim think about your new bathroom? Do you think he likes it?"

"He loves it! I love it, and anything I love, Jim loves."

"Jim was another angel in your life."

"Yes, my three Angels are together now, smiling upon me and you, and your crew members, and the Supervisor, and everyone, who has been involved from Day One after Jim passed. You have all been so kind and caring, and you have done such wonderful work. Your craftsmanship is impeccable. And you include me, every step of the way, so that I have input on how I want it to be. You have helped me, all of you, more than you will ever know, through the most difficult time in my life. I am so grateful. I would hug you, but ... you know ... I can't."

"Rose, it means so much to us to do this for you. You deserve that beautiful bathroom, and you created it. And, Jim created it, with the doors and the flooring. It's both of you."

"Yes, it is. It absolutely is. Thank you so much."

Maggie and her crew helper, whose name I still don't know, carried the toilet upstairs, and that's when I knew the bathroom was close to being finished.

TOMORROW

The granite countertop and sink will be installed, as well as the faucet and the plumbing hookup. The mirror framed to match the cabinet will be hung.

Maggie will finish the quarter round for the Pergo in the master bedroom, and the trim along the closet doors.

After that, I think we'll be done, but I'm not sure.

Then, there will be the unloading of the Pod. Ugh.

I'll also have to clean and disinfect every inch of this house, and the new bathroom, before I use any of these spaces.

"It ain't over til it's over." ~ Yogi Berra

As I wrote tonight, this song came to mind ~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZtJWJe_K_w

Jim and I danced to and sang this song together many times.

Our house is a very, very, very fine house ~

Thank you, funnylegs4 for checking in, and know that I am with you and all, who are struggling now.

Thank you all for your love, prayers, continuing support, and please know that I pray for you and all of your loved ones in these turbulent times. Stay safe. Be strong. Send love and light around with world ~

Love & Light,

Rose

Last edited by Earth Mother 2 Angels; 06-02-2020 at 05:08 PM.

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Thumbs up It Is Finished!

I'm doing the Dance of Joy! (not really, too tired)

Reconstruction concluded today!

YAY!!!!!

Maggie returned this morning, with her helper, who has also worked so diligently. They wanted to measure for the plumbing fixtures for the sink, and go to Home Depot to get the stuff they needed.

Meanwhile, we waited for the granite counter top guys to show up, and they did, as Maggie was leaving.

Noise. Of course, but Maggie told me it would all be done today. So, I was fine with the noise.

THE SMELL IN THE GARAGE

At 5:30 this morning, I went into the garage to put my laundry on "refresh" in the dryer, and the smell was awful. Putrid.

So, when Maggie and helper arrived, I asked them to smell the garage, which they did, and we all looked around the cluttered spaces to see if we could identify the source. I asked if it could be the upstairs toilet, and Maggie said she didn't think that was possible.

With the garage door up, of course, the smell dissipated, but it was quite strong initially. Now that the door is closed, and it's 90 degrees, we'll see what happens.

I was looking for dead critters, honestly, and so were they.

COUNTER TOP, SINK AND MIRROR, AND FIXTURES

Wow!

With just very small photos of the granite styles, the one I chose is perfect. It has grey and a copper tone streaking throughout it. Matching the grey tile and brushed nickel, as well as the cabinet and doors. It's also organic for granite.

Supervisor visited this afternoon (more on that in a few minutes), and he said that this granite is sliced off of a mountain, then brought to a place where granite is cut, and it is cut right down the middle. So every vein is natural and contiguous.

The sink is a good size, and the fixtures are brushed nickel.

The mirror is really lovely. Maggie's helper brought it in for me to see, and I said, "The mirror is beveled!" He smiled. Then I told him about my 42 year old mirror. He listened patiently, but when I told him that the name of the manufacturer of the mirror was showing through from the back, he paid attention.

SUPERVISOR

Insurance check received, so I called Supervisor to visit, so I could pay him. He appeared, smiling, cheerful, as always, about an hour and half later.

As always, he wanted to go upstairs to see the work, and I led the way. "Stop! Look at these doors!"

"Beautiful!"

I opened the door, pointing out that Maggie had found the handles I wanted, and he looked at everything carefully.

"What do you think?" he asked me.

I smiled, "It's gorgeous! Beyond my expectations! I love it!"

In the garage, I became emotional, as I thanked him for all that he and his crew have done to not just restore my home, but make it a better, safer place for me.

Then he said, "Did I tell you that my wife and I are having a baby?"

I am overjoyed for him and his wife, their first child. "Be prepared not to sleep for a couple of years."

I mentioned some of the other projects, which need to be done around the house, and he said, "Call me, when you're ready. We're general contractors, so we do everything."

It is comforting to me now that I have this company to turn to, when I'm ready for the rest of the home repairs and upgrading. He and they all know it won't be soon, but they'll be here for me, whenever I call.

JIM'S BATHROOM

As I was looking for the possible source of the smell in the garage, I happened to stop and look at the shelves Jim had organized years ago for the bathroom remodel.

I've been in that vicinity so many times, but only today did I see all of the supplies he'd accumulated and carefully placed on the shelves.

There, I saw this lovely brushed nickel three bulb frosted lamp shades bathroom fixture.

I showed it to Maggie, and she said, "That is perfect! We'll put that in for you today!"

Supervisor agreed, of course.

When it was finished, I said to Maggie, "Jim is here. He had this vision. He always looked forward. And now this is his bathroom, updated. Thank you so much."

NEXT

I'll call the original contractor tomorrow and schedule for them to come out and unload the Pod. I dread that, but it must be done. I will have 4 days of peace and quiet, during which time I will disinfect everything, vacuum, dust, and try to take time to rest.

Thank you all for your continuing support, love and prayers. You and your loved ones are in my prayers always.

Love & Light,

Rose

Last edited by Earth Mother 2 Angels; 06-03-2020 at 05:54 PM.

14. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Hallelujah, Rose, it is done!!!! The phrase "And yet, she persevered." is what comes to my mind. You did it. Well done! It all sounds beautiful - when you're up to it, we'd love to see photos.

Emptying the pod will be exhausting and stressful, but it too will get done. I'm so glad you have help with this and I'm happy too that you have a new circle of helpers on whom you can rely in the future if anything goes wrong or needs fixing in your house ever again.

I am sending good karma for a peaceful few days off. Don't work too hard on the dust removal - that can be an ongoing project for rainy days. Time to nurture yourself.
    Lots of love,
    Donna xoxo
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

16. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Default Photos!

Donna ~

Currently, I'm waiting for John to visit. I have a couple of boxes in the garage, which need to be moved, the oranges on the front porch to bring in (and he'll leave with a bagful). And he will take photos with his phone and send them to my email, so I can share them.

My printer isn't working. My old cell doesn't take photos anymore, and even if it did, I couldn't figure out how to transfer them to the computer. So, John, as always, to the rescue!

My cleaning chores today began with the bathroom and landing floors, sanitizing the entire bathroom, door knobs, everything, several applications of Windex and lots of paper towels to clean the mirror(s). I Swiffered, vacuumed and mopped. It was hard work, as everything is so dusty and dirty. My back is feeling it tonight.

I wanted to use my electric scrubber on the shower floor, but I couldn't figure out how to turn on the water. Finally, I realized that the faucet is shaped like a bathtub drain spout. I turned it, and it rained from the shower head! YAY! But, I really felt daft for awhile. The crew guy showed me how to use it, without turning it on, because the grout was drying.

During my breaks, I looked for bath mats on line. I think I'll go with a grey, but I'm not sure yet. I think I'm going to need new towels too, as the coastal colors aren't fitting for this motif.

John visited and was quite impressed with the finished bathroom. "I feel like I'm at a resort!" he chuckled. He said that he has a very similar light fixture in his bathroom. He loved everything about it, having seen the old one too many times, and he is delighted for me to have this luxury bathroom now.

He is pleased with the craftsmanship, the kindness and care shown to me, the extras they threw in to make it perfect, and that I am happy.

Here are the photos he took this evening:

Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 7.23.41 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 7.24.10 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 7.24.40 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 7.25.06 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 7.39.09 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 7.39.30 PM.jpg

I hope that they all posted and are viewable.

John and I discussed my hiring this company to do all of the work on the house. He agreed. And, as we walked out of the garage, John said, "Why don't you ask the Supervisor, if he would like to have any of Jim's tools. Maybe you could negotiate with him on the cost of the other work you need done. Jim has a ton of tools, really, really good tools. He took really good care of all of them, and they are expensive. Maybe you could work a deal and let Jim's tools go toward making other people's homes as beautiful as yours."

Yesterday, Supervisor was checking out Jim's treadmill in the garage. He said he needed an exercise machine, as he is gaining a bit of weight. "How much do you want for it?" he asked.

"After all you have done for me, after all of the kindness you have shown to me, please take it. Please, it's my gift. I have no idea how much it cost or if it even works, but if it does, and it helps you, then it is yours."

So, I think that he would be open to negotiating with me for Jim's tools, if they are usable for his industry, which they must be, given that they are a general construction company.

Since I am planning on hiring them to do the rest of the repairs in our home, they might as well just leave the tools here, so they don't have to transport them to/from. And, when the work here is completed, they take the tools with them.

I feel that Jim would like this idea. He wanted his tools to be used by for building and crafting. So, using them to repair our home and then to repair the homes of others is ideal.

So, it has been a long day for me, and there is more work to be done tomorrow. And I need to have a meal. I ordered from Instacart this morning, and within 1 1/2 hours, my order arrived on my doorstep. The fridge and cupboards are stocked well.

Thank you all so much for walking beside me through this journey, and through Jim's, Jon's, and Michael's journeys. I am so grateful for your love, prayers, support, and friendship.

You and your loved ones are in my prayers during these tumultuous times. I pray that we move forward to a new time filled with peace, equality, and unity. I pray that we are all safe from COVID-19, and that we stay strong in the midst of these crises.

God Bless You All ~

Love & Light,

Rose

18. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Smile

:) Rose that is beautiful. I love all of it. I use a small stool in the shower as I do not stand well. I am glad John took the photos so we can see the finished bathroom. Enjoy. Now relax and get some rest and some food. Love, Jeanie :)

20. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast