Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 813141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Restoration Saga

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

agate ~

Good question!

My attorney trains service dogs, and the dog in his office is his 5th dog. Three of his dogs have been placed in service, and the fourth one is still going through more training with professionals. I was not at the attorney's office to get a service dog.

The dog's response to me is pretty similar to every dog's response to me: get as close to me as possible, lick my hands, and look straight into my eyes. Even John's cockapoo, tiny little girl and about 10 years old, did that with me. She jumped up on the patio settee and glomed right onto my side.

I believe that they all sense my stress, tension, sorrow, sadness, pain, and need for protection and comfort. And this dog knew it, when I walked into the room. He obeyed the attorney and stayed clear of me, until the end of our meeting, when he released the dog to me. Maybe he thought I was there to be his "person." He might think that about a lot of people, who visit this attorney, as that's usually a stressful thing to do. I would take him in a minute, except that I don't need the added responsibility of caring for a dog.

I have also covered the camera on my Mac for decades. I put several post it notes over it, topped with tape. I also take the "I Voted" stickers with my absentee (mail in) ballot, and put them on the post it notes. If anyone can see me through all of that, well, what can I do?!

Yes, Zoom and other virtual communication sites are quite the rage during the pandemic. I don't know whether I can access Zoom with my antique OS on the iMac.

I have tried using another virtual visit app on the iPad to connect with my girlfriends, including my friend, who just passed. With just 4 or 5 of us, we talk over each other, and it makes communication difficult. I lose contact with them continuously, so I have to contact my iPad provider and work out the problems.

Technology adds to my stress, and I'm sure that trying to organize an on line service for Jon and Jim would be hard on me. How do I include the music, the photos, the candles, the many things I want to have in their service on line? I have thought about it quite a lot, but it is overwhelming in the midst of all of the other matters to which I must attend.

Thank you so much for your thoughts and suggestions.

funnylegs4 ~

Thank you for your prayers.

One of our friends contacted the church where the service is being held to ask whether it could be recorded on video. The church does have recorded services from every Sunday on their website, so they probably have the capability. That would be another way to include those, like me, who cannot attend.

Thank you all for your love and prayers and please know that my love, prayers, and support for you and your loved ones continues every day.

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

2. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Dear Rose and all our CN community of friends,
    I'm sorry I've been away from here for a while - there's a lot going on at home and at work right now, some of it a bit challenging and some fun (the work stuff). My husband is still having health problems. As you know, viral hepatitis was diagnosed. Now though, we are waiting for an urgent clinic appointment at the eye institute. The vision in his right eye is getting worse - it's blurry in half his visual field, like a curtain pulled. I've done a lot of research and I'm pretty sure it's not a detached retina. At first I thought maybe migraine but it's constant now (at first it came and went). Anyway, long story short is that we're waiting for an urgent appt at the hospital for that. His bloodwork is much better but the inflammatory markers are too high. It's all strange and makes you wonder whether this is some kind of post-Covid thing. We weren't tested and Jim never had respiratory symptoms, but we were both sick in March when we came home from South Carolina. Who knows.
    Anyway, life goes on in this pandemic. I'm busy getting ready for teaching two courses at McMaster University (online of course!) and I'm also working on the curriculum for a new leadership academy in family engagement in childhood disability research which is fun and exciting. I'm also working on an idea to give micro credentials to caregivers for their lived experience. This is through McMaster Continuuing Ed. Rose, you would get a PhD worth of micro credentials!!! I think we all would :)
    I've been shopping a lot lately and I've got the basement organized for the next spike - lots of cleaning products, dry goods, and toiletries. I feel like we're going to get a spike when school starts back this week. Even one of Nick's house mates is going to school and that scares me. I hope the social distancing will be good enough to protect everyone!
    Today it was raining and chilling so I went through some old photos. Found some adorable ones of the kids! scan0010 (1).jpgscan0002.jpg
    I hope I got the right ones! The thumbnails are too small to see so I was just guessing LOL IMG_2466.jpg
    Rose, I am so glad that you've managed to get some legal stuff done. And I'm glad your lawyer's dog was there to soothe you! I've been reading the news about the heat wave in CA and also the fires! I have two nieces who live in LA and it's fine there but one of them spent the weekend in the secoya forest and they had to come home because the air was so smokey. Very scary! I hope you can stay cool enough without AC, Rose. It's a worry about dehydration. That can happen so easily in that extreme heat.
    Well, that is 'all my news that's fit to print' as my Mom used to say - I send everyone my love and a big cyber hug! xoxo Donna
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

4. The following user says "thanks"

Blog Entries

((((((Donna)))))) ~

Aww ... adorable photos of your treasures! Thank you for sharing these.

About the blurred vision ~ could it be a cataract? I wonder if it could be virus-related. I hope you get an appointment very quickly to determine what is happening with Jim's vision.

Has he been tested for COVID antibodies? If he has them, or you do, then it's possible that you had COVID in March. I'm surprised that Jim wasn't tested immediately with his other tests to rule it out. COVID symptoms run the gamut, including no symptoms at all. So, it may be possible. ????

How do you find the time and energy to teach and develop curriculum? Wow! You amaze me always.

In the late 70s I worked on the first "off campus degree program" in the country, which became the University of Phoenix. The program was designed for working professionals, who didn't have time to attend school. Students, who had 60 units of college credit, with a C+ average were granted entrance to the program. They had to write a portfolio of their life experiences, for which they were assigned college credits. When their credits totaled 90, they entered the program to get their Bachelor degree.

Students did attend classes once a week at night in locations central to their work/homes. I traveled up and down the state to teach and counsel students in developing their life experience portfolios. I also developed curriculum and marketed the program.

So, in today's technological era, we have on line learning, which grew out of that program.

Yes, there are fires all over California, and we've had several severe, record-breaking heat waves. I'm so grateful that your nieces got out of Sequoia. So far, thankfully, no fires near us, but it's still early.

I remember last year, when John drove Jim and I to Jim's radiation appointment. A half hour later, as we waited for John, we were told that there was a blaze next to the hospital. It took us over a half hour to get home, which usually takes 10 minutes. We could see the flames, as we drove out of the parking lot. It was terrifying. Fortunately, it was quickly contained.

Of course, I know many of the firefighters in our neighborhood, as they've been called to our home maybe a hundred times for Michael and Jonathan, and then Jim, when he passed. They arrive in force too, lots of them, to save a life. They are incredible, courageous, compassionate, kind people. And they have seen it all. I can't even begin to imagine fighting a fire or rescuing a victim of an accident or disaster. I love our firefighters. God Bless Them!

And, oh yes, how I loved the attorney's dog in training. A sturdy blonde lab with the softest eyes. I truly did want to take him home with me.

On my walk at dawn this morning, I encountered my sweet white lab friend, Snow, as she came out before her master from the back gate. She walked up to me, positioned herself against my legs, looked up at me, and I put on my gloves and petted her and thanked her for always protecting me. I've known her for 10 years.

Her master, an elderly woman, who knows me, but speaks little English, appeared, and I said, "It's good to see Snow and you. Have a lovely day. Thank you." She just nodded and smiled with her eyes above her mask, as they walked off ahead of me.

But a dog is impractical for me, because they require more exercise than I can provide, and vet trips, and nail trimming, and shots, and so many things. I just don't have the energy.

Please give Daisy a big hug and massage behind her ears from me. And all of my love to Jim and you as you continue on this path of symptoms and diagnoses. I know that this is wearing and frustrating for you, and I pray for healing, strength, and and easily treatable diagnoses. Praying for Nick's and Natalie's safety during the pandemic. I understand well your concern for them. I feel that it is far too soon to open schools.

Try to wrangle time for you to rest and rejuvenate, Donna. Take care of YOU too.

Extra ((((((Hugs)))))) on the way ~

Love & Light,

Rose

Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

6. The following 3 users say "thanks"

We have a lady on one of our local TV stations who trains service dogs. She has a husband and children and when it is getting about time for the service dog to move on the whole family gets depressed. They can't help but fall in love with them, but then they have to give them up. When one of her children ask to keep one she explains that they have to go where they will be of help and service to someone who needs it, still they all are sad for a long time.

I heard someone say onetime that when it was getting about time to part with one that they could tell a difference in her.
    Virginia

8. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

((((((Virginia)))))) ~

Yes, my attorney mentioned the separation issues between service dog trainers and their dogs. And, of course they do fall in love with the dogs, and the dogs accept them as their "family."

He said that knowing that the dogs he's trained will be given to someone with a disabling condition, provide them with protection, support, and love, makes it worthwhile. He proudly displays photos of his five dogs on his wall.

Knowing that my attorney does this for people with disabilities certainly tells me that he is the right lawyer for me.

Yesterday morning, as I was putting the trash bins out for collection, a young woman came walking down the street with her Irish Setter. What a beautiful dog! I said "Good Morning" to her, and her dog turned around on the leash and started walking toward me.

She quipped, "She wants to help you put out the trash!"

And I thought, "That's not all she wants to do for me."

I must have a neon sign on me, which only dogs can see, flashing: "I need love, support, and to pet you!"

The young lady gently encouraged her dog to keep walking, but the dog looked back at me three times.

Then a young man, whom I've met on the trails, walked down the street with his adorable smaller dog. I forget the breed, but she and I are friends. We also greeted each other, but she was on a quest after the Irish Setter. And I didn't interrupt her.

I am so grateful for all of the dogs, who come into my life, even for a moment.

Prayers for you Virginia, and for all of our dear friends here, and for your loved ones ~

Love & Light,

Rose

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Rose, I hope all is well with you. I'm always amazed at the intuition that animals have. Animals have always been drawn to Kathleen. They are gentle and snuggle up to her always. Even when she was little. We were at a petting zoo and Kathleen went to a baby dear that was huddled in a corner, she had a little food in her hand and sat down with it and fed it out of her hand. The owner came over to us and was shocked because she said this baby never went near people or let them feed her. The dear's name was Grace! I'll have to try and find the picture I have.
    I hope your weahter has been good for walks. We have had surprisingly good weather. Very cool nights (yea open windows), and sunny warm days. Kathleen has been talking about FAll starting today and said instead of a bike ride tonight she wants to walk and see fall leaves. LOL There's not a lot of colors yet but we'll find some. We will take some pictures of the leaves and send them to her Aunt who lives in Florida.
    Stay well Stay safe! Always prayers for you...
    Mary Grace

12. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Mary Grace ~

I think you posted the photo of Kathleen feeding the baby deer many years ago. Animals sense love and kindness, fragility, need in humans. You know that I absolutely love to see your photos, so if you find that photo, and any others, please post them.

I hope that you and Kathleen found some leaves turning. We have quite a few deciduous trees in our neighborhood and they remind me of Autumn in the Mid-West.

Speaking of critters, I have had a few encounters this past week. The air finally cleared to fair for a few mornings, so I took my walk. One morning, a cottontail was on the street waiting for me. Then, s/he hopped around the corner, onto our greenbelt and into a small opening in our fence. I'm debating on whether to leave lettuce or carrots out there on the greenbelt. I don't want to attract unwanted critters, like possums or raccoons.

And, I've had two visits from a hawk, who perches on the fence overlooking Michael's waterfall/fountain. Always on the look out for predators or food, it feels like the hawk is protecting me. However, it could be hunting my rabbit.

One morning last week, I had a vivid dream with Jonathan, Michael, and Jim. They were all whole, happy, laughing, talking, walking, free. Right before I woke up, Jonathan said to me, "Mommy! I want a good cold ... juice!" All three of them were laughing, and I woke up laughing. Jon and Michael referred to every beverage as "juice." And Jim drank lots of juice during his cancer journey, and he even referred to Gatorade as juice.

For My Angels ~

Mary Grace, and all of our CN friends, I pray for you and your loved ones everyday and for equality, peace and love to rule the World.

Love & Light,

Rose

14. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Rose I may have posted that picture before it’s definitely one of my favorites. It’s a little bittersweet because it was before her strokes. We did find some leaves on our walk. They seem to be changing quickly this year. It’s also getting dark so much D16C1FD1-BA9C-46ED-908C-FA575489393C.jpg2149E502-8BFF-47D3-A353-9358CDAEC943.jpgF183798C-40D3-43CC-9B14-3C110398A035.jpgA4C9EDB5-A589-4CD5-9DB5-18AE5B2A880B.jpgA4C9EDB5-A589-4CD5-9DB5-18AE5B2A880B.jpgDE46B8BB-4B09-4706-A0F5-8103843C26C1.jpg633BC6FE-2130-4C40-9593-91CAA7BCBFB8.jpgFE118D04-4670-4A09-B8C8-16BA8C5F6E84.jpgFE118D04-4670-4A09-B8C8-16BA8C5F6E84.jpgearlier so we’ve had to start our bike ride earlier at night. I couldn’t wait any longer and started putting up Halloween decorations. It’s very interesting that you mention the hawks. We’ve seen a lot of hawks lately on our nightly bike ride always circling above. We also usually see a bunny or two as well. Love the dream! Kathleen just says I’m thirsty instead of I need a drink. She gets a drink of soda only on Friday with her pizza. Here’s a few of our newest pictures. Our summer pictures aren’t extremely exciting but they will get printed out and a book made. I guess it’ll be our pandemic book lol! Oh and I finally got a mask on Kathleen! It’s ninja turtle my neighbor made it for her. We’ll just have to build up our time. Stay well and safe! Hope you have more sweet dreams!
    Mary Grace
    Attached Images Attached Images

16. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Rose I may have posted that picture before it’s definitely one of my favorites. It’s a little bittersweet because it was before her strokes. We did find some leaves on our walk. They seem to be changing quickly this year. It’s also getting dark so much earlier so we’ve had to start our bike ride earlier at night. I couldn’t wait any longer and started putting up Halloween decorations. It’s very interesting that you mention the hawks. We’ve seen a lot of hawks lately on our nightly bike ride always circling above. We also usually see a bunny or two as well. Love the dream! Kathleen just says I’m thirsty instead of I need a drink. She gets a drink of soda only on Friday with her pizza. Here’s a few of our newest pictures. Our summer pictures aren’t extremely exciting but they will get printed out and a book made. I guess it’ll be our pandemic book lol!

18. The following user says "thanks"

Blog Entries

(((((( Mary Grace )))))) ~

Thank you so much for sharing these wonderful photos! Kathleen is joyful as always. Isn't that just amazing? Mom to Mom here ~ we know what our children have endured, but they still remain joyful. They love life, all life, babies, animals, nature, everything. It is the marriage between innocence and wisdom.

What is wonderful about your summer pictures is that they capture your love, your family, your efforts to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Or, of course, being handed a lemon and making lemonade. The mixture of sweetness in a less than sweet environment, and a big helping of LOVE, makes it truly a beautiful summer.

I have not seen hawks or bunnies for awhile now. It could be the fire near us, the poor air quality, the heat, or ... nature.

Many mornings, I skip my walk, because I am concerned about air quality. I wear a mask when I walk, but in a recent local news story, a physician stated that the masks we're wearing for COVID will not filter out the particulates in the air as result of fire pollution.

My prayers are with you, Kathleen, and your beautiful family and with all of our CN friends and their loved ones.

Be safe, be well, be as content as possible.

Love & Light,

Rose

20. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 813141516171819 LastLast