X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peace

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

funnylegs4 ~

Today, the mass of protesters in Boston was gigantic. All crammed together in a park. A surge in COVID-19 cases seems inevitable. If that is the case, we should hold those officers and the Minneapolis police department responsible for it.

On the positive side of our nation's assorted crises, my heart was lifted by a local news story yesterday. A group of Veterans are putting up tents on sidewalks, where homeless people camp. These are weatherproof tents, with a storage container and a cot and blankets. They have zippers for access/egress and privacy. I just wept as I watched these Vets put up these tents.

Here's an article about it from April, but these vets were raising the tents yesterday morning. I didn't catch the location, except that it is in L.A.

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

The Vets in the TV news story were in my age group, so they are most probably Vietnam Vets. It just breaks my heart that our veterans, all of them heroes for serving our country, are treated so abominably.

And, now, I'm sitting on my hands.

TODAY'S PROGRESS!

Maggie returned with one crew member.

DOORS

She brought two options for the doors: a conditioner and a clear satin stain. First, she applied the conditioner and asked my opinion. It brought out the grain and color of the wood nicely. Then she applied the stain. Also nice. Then after the conditioner dried, she applied the stain over it. "What do you think?"

"That's it!"

She said, "I agree, Rose, I think this combination will be very nice. And the conditioner will keep the wood healthy through the years, and the stain will help keep out the moisture."

Doors all done, she drilled holes for the door handles, and she replicated exactly the ones downstairs. Awesome!

As they concluded their work, she called down to me, "Rose! Do you want to come up and look at it?"

"Do I ever!" I said as I hobbled to the stairs. (Didn't get my walk this morning. Woke up with intestinal distress.)

Maggie said, "Look at the doors, Rose."

"They are beautiful," I teared up. "Oh, Maggie, thank you!"

She continued to admire the doors as we looked at the rest of the bathroom. "I just love your doors, Rose. Your husband had excellent taste."

At that point, I was going down the stairs, and I said, "Well, of course he had excellent taste! He married me, didn't he?"

She laughed, "Good one, Rose! And, yes!"

FIXTURES:

Brushed nickel and silver. Round drawer knobs. A long towel rail, accessible from the shower, and a round towel holder on the same wall on the sink side. A matching towel bar over the toilet, next to the counter/sink. Beautiful. Just beautiful.

All shiny and new!!!

THE FLOOR

Maggie agreed that the floor looks wonderful in the bathroom. (Of course, she could be appeasing me, but I don't think so. She was proud of her work and loved my choices.)

She said, "First, your eye is drawn to the doors, then, you open the door, and your eyeline is on the tile and the shower, then the rest of the fixtures on the walls, then the floor, and the cabinet."

We also discussed the paint/wall color. I call it putty. She said, she saw that too. Putty has a touch of brown in it, although it appears grey. "Do you think it works in this bathroom, Maggie?"

"Yes. Definitely. It's better than the darker shade you had before. Brings more light to the room."

A woman's touch, and a very intuitive Supervisor, who guided me through these choices. He knew Maggie was the one to send here now.

A PERSONAL CHAT ON THE DRIVEWAY

I told Maggie about Jim driving up to our door, how we became friends and fell in love. I told her how this muscular, fit man, who was a scaffolder, became the Father to two young adult men, my sons. That we were at their side, 24 hours a day, here or in the hospital, and this man, who built much of this home, also suctioned a trache.

She was tearing, but I held my tears in. "What does Jim think about your new bathroom? Do you think he likes it?"

"He loves it! I love it, and anything I love, Jim loves."

"Jim was another angel in your life."

"Yes, my three Angels are together now, smiling upon me and you, and your crew members, and the Supervisor, and everyone, who has been involved from Day One after Jim passed. You have all been so kind and caring, and you have done such wonderful work. Your craftsmanship is impeccable. And you include me, every step of the way, so that I have input on how I want it to be. You have helped me, all of you, more than you will ever know, through the most difficult time in my life. I am so grateful. I would hug you, but ... you know ... I can't."

"Rose, it means so much to us to do this for you. You deserve that beautiful bathroom, and you created it. And, Jim created it, with the doors and the flooring. It's both of you."

"Yes, it is. It absolutely is. Thank you so much."

Maggie and her crew helper, whose name I still don't know, carried the toilet upstairs, and that's when I knew the bathroom was close to being finished.

TOMORROW

The granite countertop and sink will be installed, as well as the faucet and the plumbing hookup. The mirror framed to match the cabinet will be hung.

Maggie will finish the quarter round for the Pergo in the master bedroom, and the trim along the closet doors.

After that, I think we'll be done, but I'm not sure.

Then, there will be the unloading of the Pod. Ugh.

I'll also have to clean and disinfect every inch of this house, and the new bathroom, before I use any of these spaces.

"It ain't over til it's over." ~ Yogi Berra

As I wrote tonight, this song came to mind ~

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

Jim and I danced to and sang this song together many times.

Our house is a very, very, very fine house ~

Thank you, funnylegs4 for checking in, and know that I am with you and all, who are struggling now.

Thank you all for your love, prayers, continuing support, and please know that I pray for you and all of your loved ones in these turbulent times. Stay safe. Be strong. Send love and light around with world ~

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Last edited by Earth Mother 2 Angels; 06-02-2020, 05:08 PM.
    Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

It Is Finished!

I'm doing the Dance of Joy! (not really, too tired)

Reconstruction concluded today!

YAY!!!!!

Maggie returned this morning, with her helper, who has also worked so diligently. They wanted to measure for the plumbing fixtures for the sink, and go to Home Depot to get the stuff they needed.

Meanwhile, we waited for the granite counter top guys to show up, and they did, as Maggie was leaving.

Noise. Of course, but Maggie told me it would all be done today. So, I was fine with the noise.

THE SMELL IN THE GARAGE

At 5:30 this morning, I went into the garage to put my laundry on "refresh" in the dryer, and the smell was awful. Putrid.

So, when Maggie and helper arrived, I asked them to smell the garage, which they did, and we all looked around the cluttered spaces to see if we could identify the source. I asked if it could be the upstairs toilet, and Maggie said she didn't think that was possible.

With the garage door up, of course, the smell dissipated, but it was quite strong initially. Now that the door is closed, and it's 90 degrees, we'll see what happens.

I was looking for dead critters, honestly, and so were they.

COUNTER TOP, SINK AND MIRROR, AND FIXTURES

Wow!

With just very small photos of the granite styles, the one I chose is perfect. It has grey and a copper tone streaking throughout it. Matching the grey tile and brushed nickel, as well as the cabinet and doors. It's also organic for granite.

Supervisor visited this afternoon (more on that in a few minutes), and he said that this granite is sliced off of a mountain, then brought to a place where granite is cut, and it is cut right down the middle. So every vein is natural and contiguous.

The sink is a good size, and the fixtures are brushed nickel.

The mirror is really lovely. Maggie's helper brought it in for me to see, and I said, "The mirror is beveled!" He smiled. Then I told him about my 42 year old mirror. He listened patiently, but when I told him that the name of the manufacturer of the mirror was showing through from the back, he paid attention.

SUPERVISOR

Insurance check received, so I called Supervisor to visit, so I could pay him. He appeared, smiling, cheerful, as always, about an hour and half later.

As always, he wanted to go upstairs to see the work, and I led the way. "Stop! Look at these doors!"

"Beautiful!"

I opened the door, pointing out that Maggie had found the handles I wanted, and he looked at everything carefully.

"What do you think?" he asked me.

I smiled, "It's gorgeous! Beyond my expectations! I love it!"

In the garage, I became emotional, as I thanked him for all that he and his crew have done to not just restore my home, but make it a better, safer place for me.

Then he said, "Did I tell you that my wife and I are having a baby?"

I am overjoyed for him and his wife, their first child. "Be prepared not to sleep for a couple of years."

I mentioned some of the other projects, which need to be done around the house, and he said, "Call me, when you're ready. We're general contractors, so we do everything."

It is comforting to me now that I have this company to turn to, when I'm ready for the rest of the home repairs and upgrading. He and they all know it won't be soon, but they'll be here for me, whenever I call.

JIM'S BATHROOM

As I was looking for the possible source of the smell in the garage, I happened to stop and look at the shelves Jim had organized years ago for the bathroom remodel.

I've been in that vicinity so many times, but only today did I see all of the supplies he'd accumulated and carefully placed on the shelves.

There, I saw this lovely brushed nickel three bulb frosted lamp shades bathroom fixture.

I showed it to Maggie, and she said, "That is perfect! We'll put that in for you today!"

Supervisor agreed, of course.

When it was finished, I said to Maggie, "Jim is here. He had this vision. He always looked forward. And now this is his bathroom, updated. Thank you so much."

NEXT

I'll call the original contractor tomorrow and schedule for them to come out and unload the Pod. I dread that, but it must be done. I will have 4 days of peace and quiet, during which time I will disinfect everything, vacuum, dust, and try to take time to rest.

Thank you all for your continuing support, love and prayers. You and your loved ones are in my prayers always.

Love & Light,

Rose

Last edited by Earth Mother 2 Angels; 06-03-2020, 05:54 PM.
      Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Hallelujah, Rose, it is done!!!! The phrase "And yet, she persevered." is what comes to my mind. You did it. Well done! It all sounds beautiful - when you're up to it, we'd love to see photos.

Emptying the pod will be exhausting and stressful, but it too will get done. I'm so glad you have help with this and I'm happy too that you have a new circle of helpers on whom you can rely in the future if anything goes wrong or needs fixing in your house ever again.

I am sending good karma for a peaceful few days off. Don't work too hard on the dust removal - that can be an ongoing project for rainy days. Time to nurture yourself.
        Lots of love,
        Donna xoxo
        Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
        Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

Comment

Photos!

Donna ~

Currently, I'm waiting for John to visit. I have a couple of boxes in the garage, which need to be moved, the oranges on the front porch to bring in (and he'll leave with a bagful). And he will take photos with his phone and send them to my email, so I can share them.

My printer isn't working. My old cell doesn't take photos anymore, and even if it did, I couldn't figure out how to transfer them to the computer. So, John, as always, to the rescue!

My cleaning chores today began with the bathroom and landing floors, sanitizing the entire bathroom, door knobs, everything, several applications of Windex and lots of paper towels to clean the mirror(s). I Swiffered, vacuumed and mopped. It was hard work, as everything is so dusty and dirty. My back is feeling it tonight.

I wanted to use my electric scrubber on the shower floor, but I couldn't figure out how to turn on the water. Finally, I realized that the faucet is shaped like a bathtub drain spout. I turned it, and it rained from the shower head! YAY! But, I really felt daft for awhile. The crew guy showed me how to use it, without turning it on, because the grout was drying.

During my breaks, I looked for bath mats on line. I think I'll go with a grey, but I'm not sure yet. I think I'm going to need new towels too, as the coastal colors aren't fitting for this motif.

John visited and was quite impressed with the finished bathroom. "I feel like I'm at a resort!" he chuckled. He said that he has a very similar light fixture in his bathroom. He loved everything about it, having seen the old one too many times, and he is delighted for me to have this luxury bathroom now.

He is pleased with the craftsmanship, the kindness and care shown to me, the extras they threw in to make it perfect, and that I am happy.

Here are the photos he took this evening:

Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 7.23.41 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 7.24.10 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 7.24.40 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 7.25.06 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 7.39.09 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 7.39.30 PM.jpg

I hope that they all posted and are viewable.

John and I discussed my hiring this company to do all of the work on the house. He agreed. And, as we walked out of the garage, John said, "Why don't you ask the Supervisor, if he would like to have any of Jim's tools. Maybe you could negotiate with him on the cost of the other work you need done. Jim has a ton of tools, really, really good tools. He took really good care of all of them, and they are expensive. Maybe you could work a deal and let Jim's tools go toward making other people's homes as beautiful as yours."

Yesterday, Supervisor was checking out Jim's treadmill in the garage. He said he needed an exercise machine, as he is gaining a bit of weight. "How much do you want for it?" he asked.

"After all you have done for me, after all of the kindness you have shown to me, please take it. Please, it's my gift. I have no idea how much it cost or if it even works, but if it does, and it helps you, then it is yours."

So, I think that he would be open to negotiating with me for Jim's tools, if they are usable for his industry, which they must be, given that they are a general construction company.

Since I am planning on hiring them to do the rest of the repairs in our home, they might as well just leave the tools here, so they don't have to transport them to/from. And, when the work here is completed, they take the tools with them.

I feel that Jim would like this idea. He wanted his tools to be used by for building and crafting. So, using them to repair our home and then to repair the homes of others is ideal.

So, it has been a long day for me, and there is more work to be done tomorrow. And I need to have a meal. I ordered from Instacart this morning, and within 1 1/2 hours, my order arrived on my doorstep. The fridge and cupboards are stocked well.

Thank you all so much for walking beside me through this journey, and through Jim's, Jon's, and Michael's journeys. I am so grateful for your love, prayers, support, and friendship.

You and your loved ones are in my prayers during these tumultuous times. I pray that we move forward to a new time filled with peace, equality, and unity. I pray that we are all safe from COVID-19, and that we stay strong in the midst of these crises.

God Bless You All ~

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

:) Rose that is beautiful. I love all of it. I use a small stool in the shower as I do not stand well. I am glad John took the photos so we can see the finished bathroom. Enjoy. Now relax and get some rest and some food. Love, Jeanie :)

Comment

Lovely! I hope it holds up well and is easy to maintain and gives you years of trouble-free use!
              SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Rose, I've been reading your updates. I was so excited to see that it's done! The pictures are amazing! What a beautiful bathroom you have. It brought tears to my eyes reading the posts for your finished bathroom. In this time of unrest and uncertainty it was so nice to see all of these people helping and caring for you. It melted my heart. I'm so glad that you were able to use the materials that you already had and hopefully it will bring you comfort. You have a lovely new space now and you so deserve this. That floor is beautiful everything fits together so nicely. Thanks for all the updates!
                Mary Grace

Comment

Rose, what a lovely and looks like very useable bathroom you have. You did so well choosing everything - and to think for the things you did not already have you didn't even have to leave home. I am so pleased for you. I know you are going to enjoy this new space. You can just hop from your bed and get right in your new shower. So convenient.
                  Virginia

Comment

Dear Rose,

Your new bathroom is beautiful! Love the shower!

Marcie

Comment

jeanie ~

Thank you. It turned out very well.

I wish that I could relax, but I have a ton of things I need to do, which I haven't been able to do during this upheaval. Our 2019 taxes, the stimulus check, other legal matters as a consequence of Jim's passing.

And, I still have mold in the cabinet under the kitchen sink. So, I'll just hire the same contractor to take care of that, put in a new sink, faucet (the reason for the mold as it was leaking), and disposer, install a floor, paint the walls and finish the window frame.

We also need termite extermination. That is a huge job requiring dismantling everything in the office walk in closet where access to the attics is located.

Realistically, I don't know at what point I will actually have time to relax and "just be" for longer than a few days in between crises and things, which must be done.

I also have a tremendous amount of housekeeping to do, as the entire house is covered in dust. The stair chair track is splattered with something. And the laundry ... well, that is just absurdly huge. I'm dreading when the pod is emptied on Monday.

One thing at a time is all I can do.

agate ~

Thank you. I hope it holds up well, too. But, let's put it this way: this is the last bathroom remodel I'll ever do. So, it should last longer than I do.

Mary Grace ~

Thank you. Yes, these people were so nice to me, so respectful, and they worked really hard for 8 hours a day to make everything perfect for me. I'm sure that they will do the same for all of the other projects needing to be finished here.

I love the floor too, and the doors turned out so well.

These are solid wood doors, so they are heavy. Jim installed 3 doors downstairs by himself. And he changed the trim around the doors. They were never stained or conditioned, but they are beautiful as they are, and someday, they will look like the upstairs doors.

The next time John visits, I'll ask him to take a photo of the lights above the mirror. The lights were turned on to illuminate the bathroom, when he was taking these photos, so you can't see how lovely the cone shaped glass shades are, which Jim chose so many years ago.

I just love how the bathroom reflects Jim's vision. I know that he is smiling and happy for me.

Virginia ~

Thank you. What amazes me is how well the flooring and doors stood up through all of those years in the garage. I am so grateful that they are now in the bathroom, as I keep repeating.

Before I can hop out of bed and into the shower, I have to reorganize the bedroom and bathroom. It will be some time, before I can accomplish all of that.

Today, I realized how utterly exhausted I am, and I am experiencing an RA flare. Now that all of this is finished, and the tension and stress hormones have done their number on me, my body is saying: "Whoa!"

Even as I'm writing this, in the back of my mind, I'm thinking about what other things I need to be doing, or should be doing, or will have to do at some point soon. It's a never-ending stream of thoughts and realities.

And, I'm so tired and so grief stricken that I don't even know where to begin.

But, I will find my way, with faith and my Angels watching over me.

Marcie ~

Thank you. I've missed you! How are you and your guys?

When I think about the shabbiness of our former bathroom as I look at this new one, it's even more beautiful to me. I'm so glad that the acrylic showers were too large, because I have this cool tile. Supervisor estimated "high end" for everything. But, he got a really good deal on the tile and the granite.

And for the entire project, Jon's closet, master's closet, bathroom, and garage, I paid 1/4 of the total cost. So, the leak was a blessing, because having all of these things repaired and the bathroom remodeled would have cost me a lot of money without it. I also wouldn't have found this wonderful construction company.

Everything happens for a reason, I believe.

Today, I ordered bath mats in grey and a towel set in coral. The floor has many shades in it from a deep red to a coral, brick, etc. I looked at rust towels, but they seemed too orange. I hope the coral isn't too pink. I'm tempted to add some turquoise, since I enjoy it with coral. It might give the room a bit of zest? Still thinking about it.

I love all of the fixtures, especially that they all work perfectly, where the old ones did not (obviously, we had a leak ). I'm particularly tickled with the toilet paper holder. I think they were all amused at my reaction to it.

True Story:

Shortly after I married my former spouse, he decided to replace the toilet paper holder in the apartment bathroom. It was a hovel at the time, but seems to have been improved through the years, as I drive by it frequently on my outings.

Traditional old style TP holder, with two arms with holes and a plastic, tension rod to go into the holes.

He came out of the bathroom, chest puffed, so proud. "I did it!" He declared.

"Good for you!" I said, as I walked into the bathroom to praise his work.

Instead, I burst into hysterical, tear-inducing, doubled over laughter.

"What's wrong?" He said, not laughing.

"The holes are facing outward instead of inward! You can't put the rod in!"

He was a scholar, and the mechanical part of his brain didn't get enough attention.

Every time I recalled this tale to Jim, we laughed just as I did at the time it occurred.

And now I have this modern, fancy TP holder. I've come a long way from that apartment, even though it's just 3 miles from my home.

CHORES

I did a load of laundry today. Wiped down the stainless steel fridge and dishwasher, which is painful for me with bending and reaching. I don't know why stainless steel is so popular, since it is difficult (for me) to keep clean and unstreaked.

I thought about clearing off all of the stuff stacked on the laundry table to make room for the bags of laundry coming out of the pod. Then I thought, "No, let these people move that, and I'll tell them where to put them on the shelves and what to throw out.

And, I made a big breakfast with an egg white cheese omelet, sauteed hash browns, organic tomato and avocado slices, 3 Amy's breakfast veggie sausages, and half a slice of toast with butter.

I also filled Michael's pond with water and raked leaves out of it.

My back is aching, so I've had to stop. When the construction was ensuing, I spent a lot of time sitting, which helped my back and hip pain. Now, with the clean up and end of the road, I have to do more things.

Thank you all for your love, prayers, support and understanding, during this most challenging time. I love you, and I pray for you and your loved ones, sending you healing, strengthening energy.

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

Rose, I almost spit my coffee when I read that little story about the TP holder!! OMG! Thank for the laugh this morning. I really hope that the new bathroom bring you joy and replaces some of the grief with good feelings of how strong your bonds and your love was/is. I'm sure your sons and Jim are smiling at you and so thankful that you have some very kind people helping you out. I do hope you get some rest time, I'm not sure but your body may go into shock if it gets too much rest HAHAHHA. Stay well stay safe and stay strong!!!
                        Mary Grace

Comment

Mary Grace ~

I'm glad that story gave you a chuckle. He never improved in the "Mr. Fix It" department.

After we moved to our new home, our neighbor approached us about putting up the fence between our properties, as a joint project between him and my former spouse. I had to stifle my laughter, because I didn't want to embarrass him. He managed to do that on his own, when they started putting in the fence. The neighbor did all of the labor, while former spouse handed him tools and wood. He was successful in his own way and didn't care about being mechanically-inclined.

My plan to clear off the laundry table and put stuff on the new garage shelves today failed. The workers stacked some old hospital bed guard rails on top of an empty box, which is on top of the stuff I need to put away on the shelves. I can't lift the rails.

So, the first thing to be done, when they arrive tomorrow is to find another location in the garage for the rails, throw out the box, and let me put the stuff on the shelves. Then, they can unload the pod, so I have space for the bags of laundry.

I swept the open areas for walkways in the garage today, and the amount of dust and debris was amazing. They did sweep up every day, but I guess not enough.

I'm going to wait to dust, swiffer, vacuum and mop the floors until after the pod removal is done. They will be tracking in more dirt tomorrow.

John texted this morning to ask how I like my new shower. I told him that I have to have bath mats and new towels, and I have to transfer all of my stuff back up from the downstairs bathroom. I have a way to go, before anything here even resembles some sort of normalcy.

Right now, I just want to admire it all. I want to take some time for the finishing touches.

So much of my life has been "rushed." This situation, in particular, has been rushed. Jim passed, and within the next 2 days, John and I were cleaning out Jonathan's closet so I could get on with the repairs/restoration. I didn't have time to mull over my decisions on anything. Fortunately, Supervisor seemed to know me. I guess that was by looking at the rest of our home. So, everything he showed me turned out to be perfect. He also wanted me to have the best of everything, after living for 42 years with the original cheap stuff.

My grieving has been rushed and thwarted for Jim and for Jonathan. And what awaits me will be urgent too. The Taxes (ugh!). Legal stuff (ugh!).

So, somehow, I have to pace myself on everything. It's not easy to do.

I did sleep well last night. I guess I was just so tired, my body gave me a break. Lots of dreams, which I can't remember, but I'm sure I'm working overtime in that area.

Thank you, Mary Grace, for your love, prayers, support, and positive energy.

And thank you all so much for your love, prayers, and continuing support. You know you and your loved ones are in my prayers.

* ~ * ~ * Remembering Nuthatch ~ * ~ * ~ *

Today, Virginia shared on the MS Forum that nuthatch (Joan) passed on June 4. Nuthatch posted on my threads here several times, and I post regularly on MS threads.

Such a lovely, strong, courageous person, nuthatch was a birder and started threads for nest watching, as well as shared many photos of birds and other wildlife in her neighborhood in her posts. And the spontaneous poppies surrounding her after we had rain and a super bloom. Two adorable grandchildren, Tula and Everett, whose pictures warmed our hearts and filled us with joy.

She was also a gifted beader and created many beautiful beaded designs.

Please join in prayer for Joan's husband, children, grandchildren, and her many friends here on the MS forum. We are all blessed having known her and sharing in her life and family. Thank you so much.

I love you all.

God Bless You ~

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

Thank you Rose for the tribute to Nuthatch-Joan. She would have loved it. She was a generous and caring person and I was very fortunate to be able to call her my friend. We became telephone/text friends. It was mostly telephone because I can't text very well.
                            Virginia

Comment

Hi Rose,

I agree. More cases of COVID19 do seem inevitable. Thanks so much for the uplifting veteran story! Your bathroom looks fantastic! I’m jealous! :) I love that you have accessibility features for safety. The story of your scholarly ex is hilarious and reminds me of a person with a PhD I know who is good at academia but is pretty inept and naive at EVERY OTHER THING LOL. Thanks for your tribute to nuthatch (Joan). I’m heartbroken she passed. When somebody passes away at Braintalk it always seems to happen so fast and in light of current events it’s just awful we lost yet another precious life. Oh now I know what a birder is! Yes my prayers to nuthatch’s (Joan’s) family for sure!!
                              Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
                              My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

Comment

Our Home Is Where We Are

Virginia ~

You're going to miss those phone chats with Joan, I know. I'm so sorry.

I'm going to miss Joan too. I just loved all of her photos. Sweet Tula and her big dog. My heart hurts for her family.

While we're in shock, because it was sudden and unexpected, perhaps we can take comfort knowing that she didn't endure a prolonged, painful illness. And, she was at home, not at the hospital, so she could be surrounded by her husband and children. Tender mercies.

I embrace you, and all of us, who love Joan, in a healing hug.

funnylegs4 ~

One of Jim's, Jon's and my favorite movies is "The Big Year," with Steve Martin, Jack Black, and Owen Wilson. They are "birders," not bird watchers, which is evidently passe'. They are competing to spot the most birds among birders for a year. It's a lovely, delightful movie, with a sweet message about what is truly important in life.

Nuthatch virtually sent us to various bird's nests to watch videos of nest building, egg laying, birthing, and the daily life of birds. She also photographed a quail family in her front yard of yellow poppies.

I remember her bead work, which I admire so much. For awhile, I took up beading to make earrings and bracelets in memory of Michael to give as gifts. It takes a lot of concentration and eye power to bead, and steady hands.

We will all miss you, Joan, very much.

Regarding my ex ~ My father said, "He may be smart, but he doesn't have any common sense."

TODAY

About 9 a.m., the crew of two arrived to unload the pod.

First, we tackled the laundry table. They helped me relocate stuff to the shelves. It's not organized, but oh well. I wiped off the table, and they brought the bags of laundry from the pod. And they kept going back to the pod, returning with more laundry bags, and on and on ...

"Wait! How many more are there?" I asked panicking.

"Two."

UGH! These are huge lawn and leaf bags. There are 12 bags full to the brim with laundry. Plus two very large buckets, which go under the table, filled with laundry.

How did this happen? Well, if you've been following my posts in recent years, you know. I only had time to do immediately needed laundry, and only every so often, because I was tending to my beloveds. Some of that laundry could be 5 or more years old. I'm not exaggerating. There is an Indian blanket in there somewhere, which I know I'm never going to wash. Ever. And will my washer and dryer hold up through all of this laundry? I doubt it.

Next the boxes of clothes and other linens for the upstairs closet. I couldn't believe how many boxes there are! The crew opened them up and started putting clothes back on the hanging rod. When we got to the other side of the closet, we discovered that the rod was bending under the pressure. A brace in the middle of the rod was missing. Thus concluded emptying the boxes. So now the bedroom is full of boxes.

One of the boxes was full of stuff from the old bathroom cabinet. If I had been present when that was being unloaded, I would have told them to throw it all out. But now I have a box of it all, very heavy, which I'll ask them to throw out.

So now, I have to schedule a crew from the construction team to return to secure that rod, put the clothes in the closet (all of which should be washed first, but that ain't happening), and take away the boxes.

The house is filthy. I need to Swiffer, vacuum, mop every floor and the stairs. But why? In a few days, they'll be here again.

Wednesday, the pod will be removed between 10 a.m. and noon. I do not have to be involved in that process, unless, of course, something goes wrong on our narrow street, where we have a hydrant and street light. It was difficult to get it into our driveway, which is sloped, so it will be a challenge to remove it. Oh, yay! More for me to worry about! Don't have enough!

In between, I attempt to rest, to grieve, to eat, to sleep. But it is never-ending. Even the construction part is not over yet, and I thought it was!

OUR HOME IS WHERE WE ARE

As I have said many times, our home reflects what we are experiencing in our lives. If it's in chaos, then we are in chaos. That is why we derive so much satisfaction from accomplishing any improvement in our home. When our home is better, we feel better.

Our home, a large part of it, is better. But the other large part of it needs attention.

And I have medical and legal issues to handle, plus the taxes.

I have no idea when I will be able to shower and enjoy the new bathroom. Or have room to maneuver around the master bedroom. Or the garage, where all of the other upstairs boxes are now stored.

Just thinking about it all wears me out.

I now await the arrival of the bath mats and towels I ordered. I am decorating the bathroom for the day when I can actually use it.

As it is in home repairs it is in life: there are no simple fixes.

Improvement is always necessary. In every nook and cranny of our home, improvement is necessary.

When we leave problems unattended for too long, they become catastrophes.

It takes a team of committed people to solve these problems. That requires communication, understanding, compassion, fairness, and equality. We have to listen, so everyone can be heard.

Send prayers around the world, for we are all hurting, with so many catastrophes.

Earth, Our Home, is in disrepair, and so are we. We need healing.

I love you all and thank you for the blessing you are in our lives, for walking beside us, and now me, on our journey and allowing me to walk with you. You and your loved ones are in my prayers, and I send you all healing, positive energy.

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

Working...
                                X