No announcement yet.

Restoration Saga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rose, I know when the restoration of your home is done you will want to immediately get everything in order and just the way you want it. Remember you don't have to. You are on your own schedule now. Do things as you feel like it and on the days your back is at it's worse take a break from doing in order to let it heal a little. It has taken me years to learn that I only have to answer to myself now. That is not always good, and it may sound selfish, but I had to work after my husband died and I was always on someone else's time table it seemed. Still, I would have it all back if I could, but this is the little bit of satisfaction that I try to give myself.
    Virginia

Comment

Duplicate Post! Oops!

Love & Light,

Rose
      Last edited by Earth Mother 2 Angels; 05-11-2020, 05:21 PM.
      Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Thank You

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

funnylegs4 ~

I'm sorry I missed your post yesterday. I was pretty self-involved. I'm sorry that you had that encounter. We "old gals" know all about sexism, patronizing, and harassment by the opposite sex, particularly in the work place. Hence, #MeToo.

I don't think the asbestos chief intended to insult or devalue me. It's his job to explain these technicalities to his clients. I'm old, but I still have a few marbles left, and now he, and all of the other men in the garage know that.

John told me to "play dumb" about the leak to the insurance, and I shook my head. "John, I have had a lifetime of dealing with a wide range of crises, and I know how to approach every situation. Yes, I'm stressed, grieving, exhausted and in pain, but I still am able to be professional. I don't know diddly about plumbing, so I don't have to play dumb. (And I admitted that to Julia and Nick on the conference call initially when they discussed the "gear box.") I am going to emphasize that Jim was dying, and we lost our son last year, so my life has been outrageously stressful. (And I did to everyone involved in the project.)"

As a result, I am being treated with respect by all of the workers, even the two who didn't wear masks and gloves. After people hear our life story, they are gobsmacked (one of Jim's favorite words). I wish I had a video camera on me all of the time to capture their facial expressions and their reactions. The odds are great that none of them have met a family like ours.

As these workers walk through the Sanctuary to Jon's room, they see the photos everywhere, and the angels, the candles, the urns. They see us as we were when we were young and fit. It's the same with the police, the paramedics, the EMTs, etc. In Jon's room, they see Lakers, Buckeyes, Dodgers, Tommy Lasorda autographed photo, Doobie Brothers autographed photo, stacks and stacks of CDs and DVDs, teddy bear collections, more photos. They see the bed and mattress. Can't miss any of that.

In the garage, they have to work around the stacks of boxes of medical supplies, and I tell them right away ~ "these are medical supplies." What must they be thinking?

As usual, I went off on a tangent. Sorry. Never let anyone intimidate, demean, or treat you "less than." Jim always said that men overpower women, because men know that women are better than them ... at everything. My feminist husband!

Thank you so much for your prayers, and I send them back to you and your loved ones.

Mary Grace ~

Breakfast in bed with Kathleen, flowers, chocolate and hard cider. Sounds good to me! Scoot over! Aww ... I love this vision.

Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement. I was musing about another word to describe my life right now and "upheaval" came to my mind. It is truly an upheaval in every sense of that word.

As I sat through today's demolition with the asbestos crew of 3 men, and I heard the sawing, pounding, vacuuming, the machines whirring everywhere, the ET like tunnels of plastic and suits they wear inside the bubble, I thought, "This is really happening. Wow."

It is happening quickly and efficiently with every step so far.

Julio and Jose were here this morning to remove the washer and dryer. They sent the supervisor and assistant, in lieu of the two maskless guys. Julio reassured me that all was going well, and he said that this demolition shouldn't take more than 2 days, and then he comes in to monitor the damage and take photos.

As Julio was leaving for his next project, I told him that Julia and I had a long conversation. Julio said, "She told me, and she really care so much for you and your situation. She's in a similar situation, as you know, and I just knew that you had to be connected to her to help you, and for you to help her, through this."

I told him about our conversation about germs, and that I asked her if we were related. He laughed. "You could definitely be related. I'm so glad you have each other."

I asked how his Mother's Day was, and he said his wife loves to bake, and she baked a lot of different "things, and we took them to our Moms. It was a nice day."

I'll fill in the rest of the day in my update below.

I know I'm blessed. I feel love emanating from these people, who see that I am fragile. They can look at the photos of me 28 years ago and then look at me now. They can hear it in my voice in phone conversations. Julio can see it in my eyes, because he looks straight at me when he talks. He's donating our clothes to a rehab center. There is love here, and they feel it too.

Thank you so much for your prayers and know that I hold you, Kathleen, and your entire family and loved ones in mine.

Virginia ~

Thank your for your wisdom and insight. I appreciate you sharing all of this with me.

And, you know me well. Yes, I'm thinking about putting it all back together as soon as possible, because I'm compulsive about it in some way. Remember when I spent time cleaning the office and upstairs bedroom, knowing it would be torn apart for the renovation? Well, now, it is like the entire house regurgitated its contents everywhere. There isn't a room in the house unaffected by this upheaval.

And all of those bags and boxes in the pod will be unloaded at the end of this saga, and I will have no other choice than to address what to do with them at that time. The clock is ticking for this project to be done, so the insurance will approve it, and all of the contractors will get paid.

Living in this chaos and clutter will probably drive me around the pole. I will be compelled to get it organized. It's who I am. I'm kind of driven, and as Julia said to me, "working on fumes."

I will carry your wisdom with me to remind me that I must take care of myself in the middle of my life's tornado. I promise that I will do this, and thank you for your love and prayers. I pray for you and your loved ones too, every day.

I'll write a separate post to fill you in on today's adventure in restoration land.

I love you all and thank you for the blessing you are in my life, in our lives, in all of our lives. Be well. Be strong.

Love & Light,

Rose
        Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Demolition Day

I was up and at 'em early, because I just knew the crews would be early, and they were. I went out to move the van at 7:30, and the asbestos crew was sitting in their truck, waiting for their boss. I chatted with them from a distance, then I moved the van.

Things started cooking at 8 a.m. Three asbestos crew members to demolish my home. They worked hard and efficiently. I was amazed. They fabricated staging for each of the 4 sites, like tents, covered the stairs in plastic, brought various machines in, and started pounding away.

Meanwhile, I made oatmeal, blueberries, with a touch of maple syrup for my breakfast. As I was relegated to the downstairs, I climbed into Jonathan's recliner, turned on TCM, and I watched movies from the 1930s, all musicals, with dancing and comedy. One of my favorites, Ginger and Fred in "Top Hat."

Every time the guys walked through the living room or came downstairs, I acknowledged and thanked them. I periodically asked how it was going, and their answer was "Good. It's all good."

I wore my mask all of the time.

In the morning, I took a break to survey the backyard. I watered all of the plants, straightened the angels and artificial roses, which light up at dark, trimmed some plants.

I took several breaks to sit on the patio, watching a hawk circling in the distance, listening to and watching the glistening sun light on Michael's waterfall, admiring the trees around us, the brilliant, clear blue sky, and embracing the cool, gentle breeze caressing me.

I looked at the yard and imagined it as I want it to be. I looked at the exterior of our home and imagined it as I want it to be. I closed my eyes and remembered the many ways it was in 42 years. I studied the deck, where Jim and I were married. The deck he built for us with wheelchair access. Upon that deck, Jim's workshop, where he crafted magnificent Native American style flutes, always in perfect pitch.

Jim, Jonathan and Michael are surrounding me with their love and their protection. They are very near, very present, and holding me close. Death cannot separate us. Nothing can ever separate us. We are one.

Tomorrow, the asbestos crew of today will return at 9 a.m. to remove the garage dry wall and take out the staging for Jon's closet. They gave me access to the upstairs, which is why I'm able to post this evening.

I must say that I was shocked when they brought down the tub in tact. I chucked, "I'm not sorry to see that go!" But they didn't bring their van for its disposal, so I had to return our van to the driveway quickly, so none of our neighbors could see it. Yeah, it's that bad.

This part is almost over. So, I will move on day to day, as it comes. It's the only way.

Thank you all for your love, prayers, and for walking beside us for all of these years.

I love you and pray for you and your loved ones always.

Be safe and well.

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!

Comment

My dear Rose,
            Thank you for the updates! I can imagine you sitting outside and finally having the chance to reflect on 'being one' with your beloveds. Even when your house is being demolished upstairs and so many things are in chaos. You are so very, very brave to go through this now - I know there was no choice, but many would have collapsed and just moved out or said no - this cannot be done.
            I wanted to share what I wrote on my blog for Mother's Day - I thought of you and of me and all the Mothers here on CN. It's called Celebrating Mothers (sorry it's late for the actual day!)
            At the moment of birth, there is suddenly stillness and a collective intake of breath. There is recognition by everyone that a momentous and transformative event has taken place – a miracle. A new baby is placed on a mother’s breast and life begins. This is the baby’s first caring relationship and it represents the sacred and pure headwaters of every other caring relationship that will come later on in life. At the moment of birth and the days following, it is the mother who is the producer and director of this delicate and vital dance. She teaches the first and most important lesson in being human: basic trust.

As the baby grows, a mother shares her love and care with others. The family and the network begin. In the earliest days after birth, the father and inner circle of loved ones will ensure that the mother is unburdened by concerns other than those of her baby. Everyone understands that mother-baby bonding, nursing and close physical contact is of central importance to the health and wellbeing of these two principal players who have been through so much together in the gestation and birth process.

As weeks pass, care is shared and others develop their own close, caring relationships with baby. A different family configuration begins to settle into familiarity with a new member in it. Roles shift and change.

The mother retains a central role. She is the vigilant worrier, the multi-tasker – she remembers shoe sizes, food preferences and school assignment due dates. As children grow to teenagers, she might become a confessor and confidante. All of these roles, she assumes on the basis of need and love. Need and love – that is the currency of motherhood.

If a mother is lucky enough to welcome grandchildren into her life, she will join the helpful inner circle of loved ones whose role is to support the new mother and baby. A new life cycle begins.

When a mother gets old and needs help, need and love begin their exchange activity again, but differently. Who is helping whom may have reversed, but new lessons are being taught and learned.

Mothers are the warp and weft of our most important, loving relationships in life. Their work is vital and central to all we know about how to live a life that is rich in the love of friends and family.

Happy Mother’s Day, Everyone!
            xoxo Donna
            Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
            Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

Comment

:) Rose you inspire me everyday. No matter what I face I think of you and how you are handling so much. Thank you for sharing all your trials. Stay safe. With love, Jeanie :)

Comment

Demolition Done!

Donna ~

Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful Mother's Day message. I hope you had a lovely Mother's Day. How did you spend it?

As you said, I have no choice about the restoration, so I don't know whether that qualifies me as brave. If I had waited longer, it would have been much worse. The water would have continued leaking, and more of our home would be damaged than already is, which according to all of the repair folks is "extensive."

The thresholds, which Jim placed, when he installed the floors saved both bedrooms and the landing from being flooded. With Michael's and Jon's continuing health issues and ICU stays, Jim was never able to finish all of the floors, so there are places throughout our home without thresholds or with incomplete foot boards. Many projects he was unable to finish.

Like the upstairs bathroom floor and the kitchen, which he put cheap linoleum on temporarily until he could lay the Pergo. He did such a fantastic job on all of the floors, and they are holding up well.

I feel sure that we have enough Pergo in the garage to do the upstairs bathroom. I'll probably have to pay for new under-layment as well as labor, because installing Pergo is much more labor intensive than throwing down linoleum. Insurance will only replace in kind. I am not going to live with linoleum any longer. I would have had to pay for it anyway, if the leak had not occurred.

So, that's my long way of saying that I had to get on with this, because I really did not have a choice. It's been 22 days since Jim passed, and for 21 of those days, I have been immersed in this restoration saga. It is wearing me out physically, emotionally, mentally, and every other possible way.

I am trying to rest, as I did again today by sitting on the patio in the fresh air, although I was chilled today. The temperature was about 68 degrees with clouds threatening rain. I know that sounds absurd to all of you who live in the cold climates. But for California, when you're old and tired, that is chilly.

I also take breaks sitting in Jon's recliner watching movies. I watched a couple of Katherine Hepburn movies from the 30s, and part of a Jimmy Stewart movie from 1963. Yesterday, I watched a Jimmy Stewart movie from the 30s, and I never knew until now that he could sing and dance!

Thank you for always thinking of and praying for me, Donna. You know that I return those prayers to you, Jim, Nick, Natalie, your brother in law, sister, niece, and entire family.

Jeannie ~

You inspire me everyday! You've been through so many trying and challenging things, and yet, you rebound, and drive to a reunion! Jim loved hearing about your adventure. He said, "Jeannie is awesome!" You are.

How is your pain? I pray it will subside soon.

I have a suggestion for your health and well being: Go back to not going to FaceBook. It's too upsetting for you. You can't change their minds, and they can't change yours. It's best not to poke the bee hive.

Thank you so much for your prayers, and I pray for you and your loved ones every day too.

PHASE TWO FINISHED

The wrecking crew arrived early, of course, but didn't start until 9 a.m.

They began by removing the bags of asbestos and tile and flooring etc. from the garage. But they didn't take the bathtub! I want that gone!!! It's embarrassing. Probably everyone in my neighborhood has upgraded their bathrooms, and I know they have, because I look at their listings on line. No one but me has a 42 year old grungy tub.

But, they see that the home is being restored, so I hope that gives them a little peace of mind that I'm doing something.

Then they created a 12' high opening in the garage (removed dry wall). They left the plastic and staging around it, because, as they said to me, "it's a giant hole."

They were finished by 12:30. As they were preparing to leave, I ran out and asked, "Am I supposed to be smelling something horrible from the downstairs bedroom?"

The crew leader replied, "Yes, but it's not toxic or dangerous."

I glared at him over my mask, "Are you sure? Because it is atrocious and noxious."

"I'm sure. I'm sorry." And off he went in the van hauling away a good portion of my home. (But not the tub! Grrr...!)

Although it's chilly and now breezy, I opened up the windows downstairs. The odor is putrid.

Crew leader told me that he'd called Julio to let him know that their part was finished. He said Julio would call me about coming out to look at the damage. I haven't heard from him yet. It's too late now for today. I'd say no anyway, because I told Julia, "I need them to be done by 4 p.m., which is 'my time.'" I can only endure so much day after day after day ...

Before the saga began, the weekends were just like other days of the week. Now they are "my time." No construction or anything else on the weekends.

Once they got started, I made pancakes for breakfast. No big deal, a mix with coconut milk and oil. Yummy. Unfortunately, when pulling out my spice cabinet, it didn't come out or go back in as it should. I could see the nails at the bottom separating from the door frame. A job for John.

Garage Door

After the crew left, I walked to retrieve the van. When I pressed the button to close the garage door, the lights flashed, and a message appeared that the sensors were blocked. "Check the manual."

That sent me on a frenzied search for the garage door manual, which I couldn't find anywhere. I was furious. All of this in and out for days on end, and no problems with closing/opening the garage door.

I tried to remember where the sensors are, and I realized that an empty box had been placed in their trajectory. I moved the box, and the door closed.

I call this one "A side effect from having your house torn apart."

The Mail

I had a stack of unopened mail, so I sat in the recliner, wearing gloves and opened it. Among the mail was a Medicare statement covering Jim's paracentesis and the $7/month rental for his nebulizer. I haven't returned that yet, and I better do it, or they'll come after me for it. Also two bills from the ambulance company for transporting Jim to/from paracentesis. Medicare denied payment.

Since I'm still receiving mail for Jonathan or for me, as his careprovider, I know that the mail for Jim will continue for a long time. It's part of the package, when a loved one passes.

Up to the minute, that is all of the news. I'm sure you're all happy about that!

I love you all and pray for you and your loved ones, as you know, and I want you to be safe, secure, well, and able to cope with isolation.

Once again, I will leave you with Jackson Browne's "A Little Soon to Say," as it speaks to what is happening to us right now. Stay home, if you can. Wear masks and gloves, when you go out. Wipe down everything delivered to your door, and avoid contact with the delivery person.

Dr. Fauci said that vitamins are helpful to boosting the immune system, especially Vitamin C and Vitamin D3. Take your vitamins, eat well, and get plenty of rest and sleep.

Praying for everyone around the globe during this pandemic ~

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

Progress

Things are moving along well at the old homestead.

Yesterday, Julio checked the moisture in the bathroom and Jon’s bedroom. Still too wet, so he turned on the dehumidifiers and added several fans to both locations. It’s loud and smelly, but I’m getting used to it. He said it might take 72 hours for it to dry out.

Meanwhile, I’m concerned about a power outage, but he said that the worst would be a break in a circuit. He also told me that insurance will pay for electricity used over my average use. That’s good, because these machines are drawing a lot of power.

In the afternoon, John stopped by. He checked the pond pumps, and the waterfall and fountain are flowing beautifully. Clear, clean water. It’s been years since it has been like this. I’m so grateful to him for all of the work he’s done to return it to the way it should be.

He repaired several things around the house, which needed to be done.

We sat on the patio and chatted for awhile, which was so pleasant. He cheered me up, which he always does.

This morning, a tech from the water damage company (the one in charge of everything) checked the moisture. He gave me good news! He thinks it will be dry enough to remove the equipment tomorrow. He was really nice and polite.

About an hour later, the reconstruction rep arrived to measure, take photos, and walk through the repairs with me. He was also very nice.

Tomorrow, a tech will visit to check the moisture, and if it’s dry, the fans and dehumidifiers will be removed. Peace and quiet again. I didn’t sleep well last night, where the night before, when it was quiet, I slept very well. So, I’m looking forward to that.

It seems that we are making good progress now, and I am feeling more hopeful that this won’t last forever.

John stopped by to deliver toilet paper to me! I am down to my last roll. He is in the stores before they open to the public, so he has access to the stocked shelves.

He brought his 10 year old cockapoo, who I’ve never met. She was having so much fun running around the front and back yards. Then she parked herself right next to me on the patio settee, like she was glued to me.

“She knows that I need comforting and love,” I said to John. “Dogs are intuitive about that, and they just glom onto you to protect you from pain and hurt.”

I could not resist petting her and loving her. I told her, “I’m not supposed to be doing this, but I will wash my hands for several minutes after you leave. You’re irresistible and just what I need right now.”

When it was time to leave, John said to her, “I know you love Rose, and you’ll see her again. But Mom is making chicken tonight, so it’s time for din-din.” She leaped with her front paws on his chest, tail wagging, and she scampered through the house, out the front door straight to the car.

Pet therapy is the best.

I love you all and pray for you and your loved ones. Please be safe, strong, and hopeful. Take extra good care of yourselves.

Thank you for your love, prayers, and constant support.

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free

Comment

My dear Rose,
                    I am so glad that the fountain is running, the work is coming along, that the workers are nice and especially that you had a visit with a sweet dog who returned your love. This is all so encouraging. Thank goodness.

Jim and I had our 43rd anniversary last night (can you believe it?). I put on a dress and makeup (alert the media!) and we had organic BBQ salmon, asparagus, wild rice and champagne. It was fun. I made a quiz about what we remembered about our first date, first kiss, first holiday with and without the kids, etc. It was fun and we laughed, then watched an english show with Judy Dench called Behaving Badly which was fun but we both fell asleep before it was over (it was 11:30, way past our bedtime). Anyway, today we went to the garden centre and bought what felt like one million plants - veggies, herbs and flowers. I am renaming Covid the "homesteading year"! I'll let you know how it goes with planting tomorrow and I'll take some pics.
                    Sending much love and I sure hope that the work continues at this pace next week!
                    Donna xoxo
                    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!

Comment

Happy Anniversary Donna & Jim!

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY DONNA AND JIM!

Donna & Jim ~

Congratulations on your 43rd wedding anniversary! I love your celebration ~ dressing up, special meal, champagne. What a fun quiz! A clever way to walk down Memory Lane. Very romantic. I'm sure Dame Judy would understand you both falling asleep.

I envy you and other folks on BT, who are growing your own food. Nothing tastes better than veggies and herbs fresh from your own garden.

May you have many, many more celebrations of your love and commitment to each other. God Bless Your Union. I love you.

UPDATE

A tech arrived this morning to check the moisture. It's dry. But he didn't have enough room in his van to take the equipment away. So, on Monday, the equipment will be removed. At least it's off now, and it has been very quiet and peaceful.

On this beautiful afternoon, I sat on the patio, watching birds bathing in Michael's waterfall, looking at the sky and trees, remembering our lives here. All of the memories flooded through me, and I wept silently. I finally had some moments, where I could let go and begin processing. It's only a tiny dent in the enormity of my grief, but it's something.

I have the weekend to rest and remember, without interruption. I'm grateful for this, as I know pretty soon, commotion and noise will take over again in the reconstruction of our home. But that is a positive, and I am looking forward to the repairs being completed.

Blessings to all and thank you for your love, prayers, and support. You are helping me so much. You and your loved ones are in my prayers always.

Be safe. Be well. Be strong.

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

Hi Rose, I hope this weekend the weather will be nice and not too hot to sit outside and feel the healing powers of your fountain and nature. I hope that the restoration project will be finished soon and you will have peace and calm in your house to experience whatever feelings need to be felt.

Jim and I will do some planting today - we probably bought way too many seedlings but we are ever hopeful they will grow! We'll find a place for all of them. We'll keep the basil inside for a couple more weeks as it's still very chilly overnight - usually between 30-40F. But everything else can be planted now. We have large and cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, sweet peppers, squash, pumpkin, zucchini, herbs and flowers for all the pots. Oh, and lettuce! I will keep you posted on how things are growing. I hope your flowers are blooming! xoxo Donna

Comment

Donna ~

Thank you, as always, for your positive energy and prayers.

I love your garden! I will look forward to photos!

Jim carved out a portion of our backyard to grow veggies and herbs, but I can't remember the year. It was the 90s. He planted corn! Cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes, potatoes, onions, garlic, basil. Jim used to help his dad grow veggies and herbs in his dad's allotment in England. His dad won local awards for his produce.

When our "better than you are" neighbors peeked over the fence and saw Jim's "allotment," the gentleman of the Manor hollered, "Hey, Farmer Jim!" As if that was an insult. Jim offered him two ears of corn and a fresh tomato.

Years later, Jim saved the Manor from burning down. Jim was in the backyard tending to flowers and plants, when he heard a crackling noise and noticed smoke and flames coming from the Manor's backyard. Jim grabbed a fire extinguisher and put out the fire in their central air conditioning condenser. When they came home from work, he went to their house, showed them the a/c condenser, explained what happened. They thanked him. That was it.

How I miss my heroes.

MY FREE SATURDAY

After sleeping well and pleasant dreams, which I can't remember, I decided to attempt a walk. With two brief rest stops, I was able to complete 2/3 mile. I did encounter a neighbor, the gentleman, who helped me with the elderly lady, who fell down on her walk earlier this year or late last year. I can't remember. We were self distancing, and I said, "Isn't it a beautiful morning?!" He mumbled "yes."

That's okay. He's got whatever his thing is. I've got mine. I tried to embrace the morning on the lakes, but he was a distraction, so I walked home.

There I discovered that my recycling trash bin was missing. I was too tired and/or forgot to bring the bins in yesterday afternoon/evening/night.

I looked down the street and thought I spied my bin. I needed my orange juice and decaf, before I walked down there to determine whether it is my bin.

I was furious, because this is the third time that one of our bins has been dragged down the street. Not by the trash collectors, but by someone pulling a prank on us. I suspect, anyway. I have watched the trash pick up on my walks. It doesn't drag bins down a street.

According to my pedometer, I walked another 1/4 mile to get to the bin, acknowledge that it is mine (I know the markings on it), and drag it back up to my home and put it away.I had to stop twice on the way to and from. I just kept looking at my benchmarks: "Get to this house, and you're only 3 houses away."

I'll pay for that in pain tomorrow. I'll bet the pranksters got a good giggle out of tormenting me.

I clipped a bouquet of beautiful deep red roses blooming in our yard and put them in a vase. That made me feel a little better.

Kitchen Time

Comfort food ~

I made red potato salad and Simple Mills chocolate chip cookies. That is a big deal for me. And I will enjoy both this evening.

I've been compiling a shopping list for Instacart. It is so strange to do that now, without thinking of all of the food Jim wanted and could tolerate.

Thank you all for your continuing support, prayers, love and friendship. I love you and pray for you and your loved ones every day.

Be safe. Be well. Find joy.

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Aee Germ-Free!
                          Last edited by Earth Mother 2 Angels; 05-16-2020, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Dear Rose,
                            I'm just thinking about you. How are you feeling today? Are the workmen there today? Yesterday was a holiday in Canada, but maybe not in the US. For some strange reason, we still have the day off for Queen Victoria's birthday (quaint!). It's the weekend most Canadians open their cottages and have fireworks at night (poor dogs!). But none of that is happening this year of course because of Covid. No travel allowed.
                            I'm so sorry about your recycle bin - what an absolute pain. If only your neighbours had a clue about you and everything you have gone through. Sending lots of love,
                            Donna xoxo

Comment

Reconstruction Begins Tomorrow

Donna ~

Does Queen Victoria deserve recognition on her birthday every year? Do you celebrate any of the various Kings’ birthdays?

Our “patriotic” holidays include Presidents’ Day in February. We used to celebrate Washington’s birthday then, but it changed at some point to acknowledging all Presidents. Not everyone gets a day off then, or on Martin Luther King Jr. day, or on Flag Day. We used to have a school holiday in October for Columbus Day.

Next Monday is Memorial Day, always a tough day for me as it surrounds Michael’s Angelverary. Of course, this year, it will be even more painful. I’ll be in the midst of reconstruction noise, so it won’t be a quiet day for me. Unless, of course, the contractors take the day off.

The “Bin Pranksters” are most likely teens. They are probably the same kids, who torn down the caution tape around our community areas, placed there during COVID-19 to discourage group congregations.

I’ve learned my lesson, and I will henceforth bring my bins in on Friday evening. I can’t do it during the day now, because there will be reconstruction going on, blocking the driveway.

Yes, reconstruction is about to begin tomorrow.

MY QUIET DAYS

I’m grateful to have had the last 4 days with a quiet home. The noise will begin at 9 a.m. tomorrow and conclude at 5 p.m. I had to give in to that request, as they have lots of other projects, and I’m sure they don’t want to drag mine out too long. I don’t either, but I can only tolerate so much.

I did stipulate that I must have the weekends free. The reconstruction supervisor (RS) agreed today. He would prefer to start at 8 and leave at 4. He’d probably prefer to work on Saturdays at least. He knows my entire life story, and he is doing whatever he can to help me.

Yesterday, the dehumidifiers and fans were removed. I ordered from Instacart, and the shopper arrived at the same time as the tech. It was raining, and I had to move the van off of the driveway for his access.

The shopper was able to get everything I ordered, which was a substantial amount, because I’m stocking up for the reconstruction.

Just to reassure everyone: I am eating well, actually better than I have for a long time. Three meals a day, plus a snack. I’m taking my multivitamin and an extra 2,000 iu of D3. I have been remiss in taking CBD oil, and I will correct that tonight, since I just remembered it!

Field Claim Adjuster

I had a lovely conversation with the Field Claim Adjuster, a very kind woman, who offered to help me in any way she can. Of course, I shared our story with her, and like everyone else, she was probably gobsmacked and very sorry for me.

When I told her that John and I emptied Jonathan’s closet the day after Jim passed, she asked me how long it took to do that. I explained that John was disposing of bags in a dumpster and could only carry so many in his car, plus it was tiring. And we were both in shock and grieving for Jim and Jon. I think it was about 5 days, plus my time in Jon’s room bagging up things laying on top of the air mattress.

She electronically sent a reimbursement to my account for our labor. I was stunned! She continued to tell me that anything that they can do to help me, to make sure that the work is done properly, that I am kept safe by them wearing masks, gloves and booties, and on and on and on … “Just call me, please. I want to help you, and I know this has to be so very difficult for you.”

Then she shared her personal story of recent loss in her family. I consoled her and offered my prayers for peace and comfort.

“You are one more example of the caring and kindness I have received from everyone working on this project. I couldn’t ask for more understanding and compassion than I have received and actually didn’t expect. I started with my plumber, who feels like family to me now, and here I am talking with you during this most difficult time in our lives. It’s supposed to be this way.”

I could tell that she was stifling tears, as I was.

While I’m not looking forward to the noise and disruption, I am looking forward to the end result. Everything will be repaired and new. This is the beginning of the last Act in the Saga.

When this is completed, I will take time to just be, prior to initiating any of the other necessary repairs to our home.

MEMORIES OF JIM

Mail continues to pour in for Jim. It will be a month tomorrow, since he passed. I expect this to go on for awhile.

His health portal keeps sending me updates to his portal. I can’t go there any longer. Too painful.

Today, Amazon emailed me to ask me if I could answer a customer’s question about the wedding ring I bought to replace Jim’s original wedding ring, which he lost during his hospitalization last year.

In my memory, the day I told Jim that I had to measure his ring finger, because I wanted to replace his wedding ring, immediately flashed through me.

We sat on the futon, measuring, crying, and holding each other. I wanted it to be a surprise, and it was at that moment, but I needed his measurement.

When Jim’s ring arrived, I opened the box to show it to him, and I asked, “Jim, will you marry me again?”

More tears. “Again, and again, and again, and again forever,” Jim said, as he held out his hand.

He loved that ring and the love between us, which it represents.

Then, in the dark early morning on April 20, I removed his ring and clung to it. I take Jim’s ring out of my jewelry box now, hold it close to my heart and remember the life and love we shared.

No. Sorry, I can’t provide an answer to the Amazon customer’s question.

THANK YOU ALL

My prayers are with you and your loved ones that you are well, strong, persevering, and safe. Please take super good care of yourselves, eat well, get plenty of rest, exercise any way that you can, and try to get some fresh air every day.

I LOVE YOU!

And this message from James Taylor:

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

Reconstruction Begins

At 9 a.m., a crew of 2 men arrived to begin reconstruction, along with the contractor's estimator and supervisor. He showed the crew where the work was to be done, and apparently how it should be done, then he consulted with me on the patio about shower and vanity options.

He showed me various options on his phone. I felt too close to him on the patio settee, but it was better than standing next to him, as that hurt my back. We were wearing masks, of course.

I chose a walk in shower, with a built in curved seat to allow access. He showed me where they would install grab bars. Then, we looked at cabinet styles and colors. I prefer natural wood to painted wood, and a rustic as opposed to a modern style. He agreed, "Looking around your home, I think this is what you would choose."

He said he emailed me the photos of all of the styles we considered, but I haven't received them yet. So, I'll address that with him tomorrow. I want to make sure that I want what I'm choosing and that it meets my current and future needs.

The two man crew finished the garage insulation and drywall before noon and took their lunch then. Then, they went to work on the drywall in the two closets and upstairs bathroom.

They wore masks, and they placed long strips of a canvas-like material on the floor and stairs. They were pleasant and polite. It appears to my untrained eye that they did a good job.

They will return tomorrow to finish the drywall, remove the bathroom sink and counter top, and I don't know what else.

I woke up at 2:30 this morning and couldn't get back to sleep. So, at 5:30, I squeezed my fresh orange juice and made decaf espresso (Jim's fave), because my Mr. Coffee maker conked out. A new one will be delivered tomorrow. Meanwhile, the little espresso maker only makes one cup at a time, so I'm making coffee three times in the morning.

I ate a healthy breakfast and lunch, and I plan to eat a healthy dinner. I took my vitamins and CBD oil today.

As today is one month since Jim passed, I posted about that aspect of today in Jim's "Heavenly Reunion" thread.

It has been a very long and arduous day for me.

Thank you all so very much for you love, prayers and support. I love you, and I pray for you and your loved ones to be safe, well, and happy.

Blessings upon all ~

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

Working...
                                X