No announcement yet.

Restoration Saga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

:)I HAD NO DAMAGE FROM Isaias. But apparently other places had it bad. JEANIE:)

Comment

Rose, I enjoyed “I Believe”. Thanks for the link.
      Virginia

Comment

Rose, So glad you got your computer up and running! Tech problems really frustrate me. Luckily that's what my husband does for a living. That can be good and bad he does it all day so sometimes he doesn't really want to deal with it at home LOL.
        It restores faith in so many ways hearing stories about the people who come into your life. It seems that they are who you need and you are who they need at the time. You are a kind strong person and when they see that that is how you are treated!
        We survived the Isaias! We were actually quite lucky. We didn't lose power. We did get water in our basement which doesn't typically happen. Luckily we had bought my husband a big brand new wet/dry vac for Father's day LOL. Our pool was very close to overflowing. It took a little work yesterday to clean it out. The wind really scared me since we have so many big old trees! We saw so many that uprooted. I can't imagine living in a place that gets these storms much worse and often. Now the weather is beautiful!
        Stay well stay safe!
        Mary Grace

Comment

Hi Rose,

Luckily we didn't lose power but I know many people did. Some are still waiting for it to get turned on. The electric company wasn't very well prepared for the wind that we had from the storm. We didn't get much rain but the wind damage was very bad.

I love the signs that you are getting from you Guys. It is very comforting to you.

Love,
          Marcie

Comment

Thank You!

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Jeanie ~

I'm so grateful that you didn't have any damage. How did your mango trees fare? Keeping you in my prayers that the shingles and fall pain are lessening. You have been through so much!

Virginia ~

"I Believe" is very special to us. A friend shared it after Michael passed, and it was just perfect and remains even more so today.

Mary Grace ~

God and our Angels place these people in my life. I am incredibly blessed. During the restoration, I made sure that I thanked everyone every day for helping me, and I praised them for their excellent work.

On my walks, I always greet everyone with a smile (behind a mask now), "Good Morning" and "Have a wonderful day!" I wave at people at a distance from me. I wave at our landscape workers, the trash man, the Fed Ex driver.

I've found that, when I let my "little light shine," others respond by shining their little light.

I'm so grateful that your trees didn't topple, but it sounds like you had a lot of work with the basement and the pool. And now, you have the calm after the storm.

Marcie ~

Power outages are awful, and I'm thankful that you didn't experience it. We've been through some doozies in past years, which is why we got a generator to keep Jon's equipment running.

Oh yes, the bunny was so comforting to see. I don't know why they are gravitating to our neighborhood and particularly my house. They generally stay around the golf course. Since they are prolific producers of offspring, I hope they aren't "nesting" here, and I end up with a bunch of bunnies!

Restoration Update:

Today, I received an email from my insurance agency about payments made for work done on my home. I knew this was a mistake, because my claim was settled and closed at the beginning of June.

I scrolled through the various payments made and noticed that the address was for a city in another part of the county. My name, wrong address.

I replied to the email to notify them that they had sent the information to the wrong claimant. I saw the names of several of the people, with whom I worked during my restoration. I'm surprised that it passed by all of them without recognizing the error.

Oh well, not my problem. I notified the sender that she confused me with another claimant. I am not going to worry about it.

Today

I took the van for a drive and decided to go to the bank to deposit a check for the refund of Jim's Medicare insurance for the year. En route, I encountered an accident, which had apparently just occurred. One police car was present. A pick up truck and two compacts. This is a notorious intersection for accidents, and this is the second one I've seen there this year. I think I need to take a different route.

When I got to the bank, there was a line at the ATM and to get into the bank. Nope. I drove home via a different route.

Driving up to an accident, which has just occurred, always makes me stop and give thanks that I didn't leave 5 minutes earlier to get to my destination.

Another police car arrived, but no one was directing traffic, so we all just followed the lights, and I was relieved to be past that intersection.

I do believe!

Please take super good care of yourselves and your loved ones. I love you and my prayers are with you all.

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
            Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Funky Internet

Well, today, unfortunately, I lost internet connection for a few minutes. This, after it has been working so wonderfully since Raul installed the new splitter last Monday. It did return, so perhaps it was some other external glitch.

If this continues, I will call Spectrum and request Raul to come out to rewire and ground the cables. I will ask for a morning appointment, because it will take a few hours, and he'll get hot climbing and crawling. I dread this, but once it is done, I should have no more interruptions.

Also, I received another notice that I have exceeded my data usage on the iPad, and I haven't used it since last Monday. Is there something I should be doing, while it sits idle? Is it using data, if I left apps open? I'm going to shut it down.

Technology is so great, until it isn't.

Meanwhile the weather is beautiful here, and it is quiet and peaceful. I saw the bunny again this morning, scampering into the bushes on the corner.

Many years ago, ducks from the lake would appear on our streets. I have photos of them marching down a street, investigating front lawns for nesting locations, and even building a nest on a greenbelt. They are hilarious.

We have hawks, who visit Michael's waterfall/pond occasionally, and I sometimes see circling in the sky over the golf course or when I sit on the patio. So, I worry about the bunnies, squirrels, and ducks. And cats and small dogs. We also have coyotes. Ah, but that is nature.

For now, I have internet connection, and I'm praying that it will continue unabated. It has been much less stressful having it work this past week. I sure don't want to lose it again. But, whatever happens happens.

I need to look up the instructions for backing up the computer, as it has been almost a year since I did the first backup. So much to think about and do.

My prayers and love to you and your loved ones that you are safe, well, and as content as possible during these troubling times.

I leave you with this today~ Celine and Barbra, "Tell Him":

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

Love & Light,

Rose

Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Barbara and Celine just having fun and sounding great doing it. They look like best friends.
                Virginia

Comment

Edited to add: I didn't mean to post the same song twice. I meant to post one of Josh Groban and Andrea Bocelli doing a different song.
                  Last edited by Virginia; 08-09-2020, 01:39 PM. Reason: Enjoy
                  Virginia

Comment

A Visit With John

Virginia ~

I enjoyed both songs so much. Thank you for sharing them.

John visited this afternoon after 2 weeks of absence. He is working overtime, as the demand for the products he represents is increasing.

Michael's pond/waterfall needed attention. So much algae has built up in it, and I don't know why. He cleaned the pumps and removed as much algae as he could. It needs to be drained, dried, and cleaned, but I just refilled it yesterday, and we don't want to waste water. So, he will drain it, when the water level drops.

We sat on the patio and caught up on each other's news. I told him about my dream with Jim, Jon and Michael, and he was touched. He smiled, "I am so happy they visited you. I'm sure that is comforting for you. They are here watching over you. They know what you're going through, and they love you so much."

The Dodgers were playing, so we checked the game a few times. Dodgers won, when they came back strong in the 8th inning. We are both stalwart fans. I attended Sandy Koufax's perfect game in 1965. John is always in awe that I was there for that momentous occasion. It was incredible. Before Sandy threw his last pitch, the stadium was silent. In his wind up, we all gasped, and when he struck out the last batter, the crowd roared. I still get goosebumps recalling it.

John advised me to quit out of all of the apps on the iPad, when I'm not using it, because evidently it still sucks up data. He also talked about the problems his parents had with reception for all of their devices, even with WiFi. He said that he thinks there is something up here that causes interference.

John left with 3 cases of bottled water, oranges and lemons, and some food items. I learned from my family during childhood that every visitor must leave with something, particularly food. A show of love, of caring, of gratitude.

It is so wonderful to share this time with John. He has been concerned that he hasn't been here in 2 weeks, and I keep telling him that I'm fine, and he needs to rest and relax. What does he say? "I miss you, and I love hanging out with you."

Awww ... that goes straight to my Mother's Heart.

For so many years, I thought that when Jon and Jim passed, I would be all alone. And then, God placed another son into my arms. I am so blessed.

I feel protected, and I can turn to John with any questions, problems or issues, and he is there on top of it to help me.

We talked about Jim a little too, and he recalled that Jim never complained about anything and was always so appreciative of the help he received. Then, teary eyed, John recalled helping Jim to get back from the futon to Jon's mattress/bed. Jim's pain was excruciating. John revealed that that was when he realized that Jim would soon leave us. "I watched him go from this strong, fit man to being withered and weak. It broke my heart, as I know it broke yours."

Later as he paused in The Sanctuary, where the urns, photos and angels are, he admired a photo of us about 16 years ago, with our sweet friend, who has ALS. "You are all so happy and young," John said, "and I am so sorry, Rose."

"Thank you, honey. But we had that moment. And many others together, and they were magnificent."

Those moments, those memories sustain me and remind me that life is cyclical. It never ends, although our vessels give way. Love is always present.

So, this evening I will leave you with this ~ Garth Brooks, "The River."

When Jim and I were wed, one of our friends, who was a record label executive, gave us an autographed, framed photo of Garth. He had told Garth about our family, and Garth was clearly moved.

Jim walked down the aisle to "If Tomorrow Never Comes," which was his choice. Of course, now it is even more profound.

When Jim's mother passed in 1999, he played "The River" at her funeral. In 2003, when Michael passed, we knew that "The River" must be included in the long list of songs we had for his celebration of life service.

Life presents us with choices, decisions, crises, challenges, the gamut. We need grit and determination to withstand it all.

And we all have that, or we might not still be here, because everyone on BrainTalk has endured tremendous crises, issues, problems, hurdles, disappointments, fear, uncertainty, frustration ...

We are all sailing our vessels until the river runs dry.

I love you and pray for you and your loved ones always. Be safe, healthy, and as content as possible during this strenuous time.

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

Rose, So glad you had a nice visit with John. Sounds like he left with full arms and a full heart. It's great that the weather allows these visits outside and safe. I've only visited with anyone outside of the house in our backyard. We're lucky right now that the weather allows but that will end when it gets colder. I visited with my brother and 2 sisters yesterday. I hadn't seen them since Kathleen's birthday party in early March. It's all becoming so normal I'v almost forgotten what it was like before covid. I worry about the schools opening up next month. My best friend is a teacher and i'm pretty sure I won't want to even visit outside after she goes back. I hope your'e getting plenty of good walks in. My daughter gave me a fitbit and it really challenges me. I get between 3 and 6 miles a day. I have to make fitness plans for Kathleen and i when the wether gets too cold to bike ride for her and walk.
                      Stay safe and healthy!
                      Mary Grace

Comment

Mary Grace ~

I'm so happy for you and your brother and sisters that you were able to see each other face to face. For winter outdoor gatherings, maybe there is a solution of sorts? Outdoor heaters, tons of blankets and heavy coats?

For indoor exercise for you and Kathleen, how about a pedal exerciser?

Maybe there are fun videos to watch while you pedal, taking you through a forest, by a lake, near the ocean, up a mountain? I don't know, but they are probably out there.

That is awesome that you get 3-6 miles per day! You are one busy lady! For Kathleen during inclement weather, she can just follow you around!

I only use my pedometer to measure my morning walks. After that, it doesn't matter, as long as I am moving.

I cancelled John's visit today. It is hot (in the 90s) and humid, which we are not used to experiencing. It is dragging me down energy-wise. I suggested that we reconnect, when it is cooler, so we can sit on the patio and enjoy the breezeway.

He agreed, because he will do anything that I want or ask. He just wants me to be okay.

A good percentage of my time and attention today has been directed toward my beloved friend of 45 years, who has ALS. My friends and I have been emailing all day about her condition. We are devastated. We have all been communicating with her technologically, via email and text, because she is losing her ability to speak. She can still type with one hand, which is incredible. But she is weak, sleepy and confused.

Yet, her Light would illuminate the darkest midnight sky.

We continue to hold a vigil for her with her family.

I am weary from grieving.

You, Kathleen and your beautiful family are always in my prayers. I pray that you also stay safe and healthy.

My prayers go out for all of you and your loved ones.

Be strong, everyone!

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

Hi Rose,

You are incredibly lucky to have John check in to see how you are doing. It sounds like a lovely visit to be able to sit outside and talk with him.

I can't believe that the summer is beginning to wind down. It has gone fast. I will be taking some vacation time away from the office at the end of the month. I'm looking forward to it. The last 5 months have been a whirlwind that's for sure. I will be doing a staycation this year but I am okay with that. I need a break from my coworkers and the office!

Jonathan will be returning to college on September 1st. All of his classes will be online for his final semester. He will be graduating in December with his Associate's degree. School has been an adventure with him but he's getting it done. He is hoping to transfer to a 4 year college but that's up for negotiations. Jon is a hard worker and has taken advantage of all the services that the community college has offered.

Hope this finds you well and I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Love,
                          Marcie

Comment

Rose I am truly sorry about your dear friend. Sending prayers that her passing is peaceful and that you all find more joy in memories of her than sadness at her passing.

Comment

Rose, I am sorry you are loosing a friend. She sounds like a wonderful person. I am glad you have the other friends who knew her to reminisce with. I think it helps to have someone who has known a person in the way that you have. You can put memories together when you are reminiscing.
                              Virginia

Comment

Marcie ~

Wow! That went fast for me ... Jon's graduating in December. Awesome! He is a hard worker, and I'm so happy that he had services available to help him reach this fabulous goal. Perhaps he can pursue his four year degree on line. What is the best option for him to obtain his 4 year degree?

A staycation is what I guess I've been having. Most people these days refer to it as "isolation," or "not showering for 4 days." But, you've been out there working, and now it really is a vacation for you to stay home. It's all about perspective.

I think about the health care workers on 12 hour shifts, the farmers and workers who harvest the crops, the truck drivers, the grocery store reps and cashiers, the teachers, who are trying to teach virtually, EMTs, firefighters, police officers, every one, who must continue working through this pandemic.

They would love to be off of their feet, at home, after a nice shower and clean clothes, with their family, eating a home made meal, and sleeping in their own beds.

That is a staycation, and you have truly earned it, dear one. I pray that your time at home will be peaceful and relaxing. Just be. No calls, no zooming, just peace and quiet. Do what you want and need to do. It's Marcie Time.

Please let us know how you're enjoying Marcie Time. I love you, and thank you so much for your love, prayers, and positive energy.

I send prayers to you, Nick, Brian, Jonathan and your family and loved ones.

Chris and Virginia ~

Thank you so much for your compassion and understanding.

I am the fifth wheel to this group, as they went to high school and college together. I arrived after their graduation.

I joined by becoming friends with one of them at work. She and my friend with ALS were roommates. With them came the other two friends from high school/college to social events.

We had so many wonderful times together. Great memories of gathering in each other's homes for holidays, birthdays, and any occasion. Food, laughter, dancing, hugging, crying. Love, loss, smiles, tears ~ we've been through it all together.

Now, we are going through this together ~ letting go of our beloved sister.

Too much grief at one time. I pray for strength, understanding, and peace for all of us.

My prayers and love are with you all and with your loved ones.

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

Working...
                                X