Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gee -- I'm lonesome

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nancy (it's nice to know your real name), I read A GENTLEMAN IN MOSCOW too and really liked it.

The news broadcasts I watch on TV are often coming from the reporters' homes, and I get glimpses of their home environments. This is really unusual. It's like being a guest in their homes. I feel like thanking them for inviting me in.

You get to see what pictures are on their walls, what houseplants they have, even their pets sometimes--even what books are on their shelves though usually the titles aren't readable. People who don't have any books on shelves in their places are usually people I don't have much in common with, and so seeing books on shelves in someone's place is comforting. (Someone else who reads--wow!)
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

2. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member jingle's Avatar

Agate -- what are you reading right now? I have such a nice, big stack of books that are waiting for me, I don't know my next one. I do know it's a real luxury to have that stack.
    One time I ordered breakfast in a local café and opened my first book by Fredrik Backman. I found it not very gripping but kept reading -- then I hit Backman's sort beautiful, incredible paragraph and burst into tears!! The dear, kind waitress appeared at my table, gave me a handful of napkins and said, "Good book, huh?"

For a long time I took my finished books to the domestic abuse clinic or the local library. Then I learned the staff at "my" medical clinic- my doctor's office - wanted every book they could get - they keep their own small library. Then I learned the staff at my ENT clinic wanted books.

4. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

How kind of you to donate books where they are genuinely wanted!

I don't ever buy books any more, not since the 1980s, when I started to get recorded books through the National Library Service. People with MS can get them because there are vision problems as well as problems holding the printed material.

I put in requests for books and the library sends them, and I can keep them for several weeks. Just now of course no library is operating, and so everything has come to a halt but I have one book here that I'm still working on--a collection of novels by Dawn Powell--and the library has said patrons can hang onto their books on loan for a while yet.

I also have magazines through them but those aren't being sent either. I can download them onto a flash drive from a Website they have set up. I just downloaded a bunch of them and am catching up on magazines just now. I have 5 subscriptions, and so that's a lot of reading. Some are from March, and I'll be busy with these for a while.

The recordings are tone-indexed, and so I can skip articles in the magazines if I'm not interested in them. Consumer Reports, for instance, has a huge issue on cars every year (this year it runs to over 30 hours--most magazines are about 3-6 hours), and I skip almost all of it.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

6. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12