Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day Five

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Thank you all so much for you ideas and suggestions.

jeannie ~

I'm a planner, because I've had to do that my entire adult life. I have to be ready to evacuate, as in having clean clothes (I don't have luggage) to take with me. That means laundry and soon. I'm also a worrier, for the same reason. I wish I could just not fret over this, but it isn't in my DNA.

SuzE-Q ~

I would rather stay with John than in a hotel, in a bed where thousands have slept. I would never get into a "public" jacuzzi or even a private jacuzzi. Mine, yes, except that I don't have one. I'm a germaphobe, as you know, and hotel/motel rooms are known for being quite germy (like curtains, phones, etc.). Also, I'd probably be unable to get out of a tub or a jacuzzi now physically. Sitting on a hard surface would not be good for my back.

I asked our pharmacy if they would take unused or left over meds, and they said "No." This isn't an urgent thing that I need to do, just something that does need to be done eventually.

John's sister and brother in law would probably be more than willing to search for charities, which accept medical supplies. That's also not urgent, but should be done, because these supplies, unopened and unused, are sitting in our garage, when they could be helping someone in need.

jingle ~

I'll have to see whether our PD has the same set up, although I'd be surprised if it does. There should be somewhere that will dispose of these meds!

Donna ~

Unfortunately, the organization in your link is located in Largo, Florida. But, thank you as always, for searching for me.

The mold removal company will be selected by my insurance company. I doubt I'll have any say in who does the work. I'll ask if we can hire our plumbers for the plumbing aspects. They don't install bathrooms, but they do install toilets, sinks, etc. once the mold is removed, and the structure is in place.

agate ~

I read your post, and I thought it was helpful. It's reassuring that your neighbor was allowed to stay in her apartment.

We had a slab leak in our downstairs bathroom in 2001. The plumbing was rerouted through the ceiling in Michael's room to the kitchen. That meant that the ceiling had to be opened and repaired. We have "cottage cheese" ceilings (acoustic, I think they may be called). Everyone now scrapes their ceilings, which I want to have done throughout the house someday.

They had to test for asbestos, so they closed off Michael's room with heavy plastic, had blowers in the backyard, wore space suits, and had 3 plastic showers in the front yard for them when they left. Jon's room was our office, and the boys were upstairs in what is now our office. We were allowed to stay during that process.

I don't know, and I won't know until I put the process in motion. But not today. I am just utterly wiped out, and I am not up to calling our agent to set this all up. I have been busy every second since Jim passed, and I need a break. Physically, emotionally, spiritually, etc. I'm too tired to do anything.

Last night, I made frozen cauliflower risotto, a Gardein turk'y cutlet with gravy, and organic house fries. All frozen, but at least it was a real meal. When I was finished, I put the dishes in the sink, got into Jon's recliner, turned on a movie and fell asleep. I woke at 11, checked all the locks and went to the futon bed. I slept until 3 a.m., got up to potty, and remembered that I had to turn on the dishwasher, so put the dishes in and turned it on.

Back to bed, slept a little more and got up at dawn, 6 a.m. I'm just functioning right now.

That mold has been there for a long time, and it can stay there for a few more days to allow me time to catch my breath and recover a little from the trauma of losing Jim. This is going to be an ordeal whether I stay or go to John's house. I'm not up to yet.

Thank you all so much for your love and kindness. I love you and pray for all of you and your loved ones.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Originally posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post

Thank you all so much for you ideas and suggestions.

jeannie ~

I'm a planner, because I've had to do that my entire adult life. I have to be ready to evacuate, as in having clean clothes (I don't have luggage) to take with me. That means laundry and soon. I'm also a worrier, for the same reason. I wish I could just not fret over this, but it isn't in my DNA.

SuzE-Q ~

I would rather stay with John than in a hotel, in a bed where thousands have slept. I would never get into a "public" jacuzzi or even a private jacuzzi. Mine, yes, except that I don't have one. I'm a germaphobe, as you know, and hotel/motel rooms are known for being quite germy (like curtains, phones, etc.). Also, I'd probably be unable to get out of a tub or a jacuzzi now physically. Sitting on a hard surface would not be good for my back.

I asked our pharmacy if they would take unused or left over meds, and they said "No." This isn't an urgent thing that I need to do, just something that does need to be done eventually.

John's sister and brother in law would probably be more than willing to search for charities, which accept medical supplies. That's also not urgent, but should be done, because these supplies, unopened and unused, are sitting in our garage, when they could be helping someone in need.

jingle ~

I'll have to see whether our PD has the same set up, although I'd be surprised if it does. There should be somewhere that will dispose of these meds!

Donna ~

Unfortunately, the organization in your link is located in Largo, Florida. But, thank you as always, for searching for me.

The mold removal company will be selected by my insurance company. I doubt I'll have any say in who does the work. I'll ask if we can hire our plumbers for the plumbing aspects. They don't install bathrooms, but they do install toilets, sinks, etc. once the mold is removed, and the structure is in place.

agate ~

I read your post, and I thought it was helpful. It's reassuring that your neighbor was allowed to stay in her apartment.

We had a slab leak in our downstairs bathroom in 2001. The plumbing was rerouted through the ceiling in Michael's room to the kitchen. That meant that the ceiling had to be opened and repaired. We have "cottage cheese" ceilings (acoustic, I think they may be called). Everyone now scrapes their ceilings, which I want to have done throughout the house someday.

They had to test for asbestos, so they closed off Michael's room with heavy plastic, had blowers in the backyard, wore space suits, and had 3 plastic showers in the front yard for them when they left. Jon's room was our office, and the boys were upstairs in what is now our office. We were allowed to stay during that process.

I don't know, and I won't know until I put the process in motion. But not today. I am just utterly wiped out, and I am not up to calling our agent to set this all up. I have been busy every second since Jim passed, and I need a break. Physically, emotionally, spiritually, etc. I'm too tired to do anything.

Last night, I made frozen cauliflower risotto, a Gardein turk'y cutlet with gravy, and organic house fries. All frozen, but at least it was a real meal. When I was finished, I put the dishes in the sink, got into Jon's recliner, turned on a movie and fell asleep. I woke at 11, checked all the locks and went to the futon bed. I slept until 3 a.m., got up to potty, and remembered that I had to turn on the dishwasher, so put the dishes in and turned it on.

Back to bed, slept a little more and got up at dawn, 6 a.m. I'm just functioning right now.

That mold has been there for a long time, and it can stay there for a few more days to allow me time to catch my breath and recover a little from the trauma of losing Jim. This is going to be an ordeal whether I stay or go to John's house. I'm not up to yet.

Thank you all so much for your love and kindness. I love you and pray for all of you and your loved ones.

Love & Light,

Rose
      Hi Rose,
      I agree that staying with John would be safer. I know some people were successfully able to leave states like FL and stay in hotels to get back to their main home but you are physically vulnerable now and hotels are too stressful. I would let you stay with me if it was possible. You're welcome! Your meal sounds YUMMY. :)
      Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
      My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

Comment

More of Day Five

funnylegs4 ~

Awww ... thank you so much.

I tried to rest today, watching movies and snacking. A sweet movie, with a lovely ending, Sandra Bullock, "While You Were Sleeping." I'll try to have another "meal" this evening.

Our mortuary director called today to tell me that he has Jim's ashes. Such a sweet and gentle man. Later in the afternoon, Jim's urn was delivered. John will be here Sunday to continue to clean out Jonathan's closet, so I will give him Jim's urn then, and he will coordinate the transfer of the ashes.

It was a stifling 100 degrees here today, and I have fans running throughout the house. He said, "I know, and I'm wearing black and was outside today." He was probably attending to a burial. Sadly, his business has picked up with COVID-19.

To sum up, it's been 5 days since Jim's passing, a year and 12 days since Jon's passing, coming up to 17 years since Michael's passing. A plague is spreading around the globe. We have a huge mold problem in our home. It is absurdly hot, but maybe that will help the mold dry out. I don't know. I just know that I'm sweating quite profusely. I do not do well in heat.

And I cannot think of a word to describe properly how exhausted I am. How I just want all of this stress to vanish, yet I know it will not. And all of the help from John and his family still means work for me. Whether I stay or leave, it will be disruption, when I most need peace and quiet. As soon as the mold mitigation and resconstruction of the bathroom and closet begins, I will be affected until it's finished. I have to select colors, style of tub/shower replacement, etc. A floor, faucets, shower heads, blah, blah, blah.

I am not up to doing that right now.

I am less afraid of the people working on the mold and plumbing and reconstruction will bring in COVID, because they all wear masks and suits. Still ... it is scary.

I just have to keep pushing myself to move forward. But I vowed that I would take today and tomorrow to rest. I will call John on Sunday, and we'll discuss what is next and whether I am up to it.

A well-made rope remains strong, until the tension, weather, strain, and use of it causes the threads to unravel. I am holding on and trying to reweave those threads.

Love & Light,

Rose
        Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Rose, you are doing so much better than you think. You are functioning, you are trying to eat and take as much care of yourself as you can. It has been such a short time, I think all that strength that you have put into taking care of your family is still there, even if you don't realize it. You are smart to realize when you feel you have taken your last step and it is time to take a couple of days for yourself. You are making your own decisions. I can remember where you are and all I can do is marvel at how much strength you are showing.

I was trying to get all my insurance and finances straightened out in a hurry because my husband's brother-in-law was in his last stages of cancer and I knew he did not have long. I wanted to see him and made plans to fly from N.C. to where they lived in Georgia two weeks from the day of my husband's funeral. When I arrived, it turned out he had died and his body had been removed from their house just 5 minutes before. I don't know how I got through another funeral so soon, but thinking back I think I was just on auto pilot and also so stunned over all that happened in a six months period. Both of them had been healthy just six months before. I think there are times that we just do what we have to, but you do need to realize your limits. This is just so soon.

Grieving, as you know, is hard work, and needs to be on your own terms. No two people grieve alike. I am counting on you to put one foot in front of the other and also to rest when you need to. I hope you can sleep and eat. I saw the movie "While You Were Sleeping". I really liked it. Good for you for watching it.

You will make it through all of this, but there will be times when you think you just can't and there will probably be times when you feel you don't care if you do or not. When those times come remember there are just so many people who truly care about you. You have been such support to those of us on the MS forum while supporting people on Child Neurology and taking care of Jon and then Jim.
          Virginia

Comment

Beautiful, wise words, Virginia.
            Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
            Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

Comment

Day Six

Virginia ~

Thank you so very much for sharing your insight and experiences with me. I am so sorry for your losses and for the stressful, sad time you had. How I wish you and your husband and brother in law had more time with you.

I agree with Donna. You have much wisdom and a kind, loving heart. And, I thank you so much for your friendship and support.

Much like Jonathan's passing, I am in a surreal world right now. I didn't have time to process Jon's passing, because Jim was quite ill, and then we ended up in the ER only 5 days later. He came home ill, requiring intense care. As everyone knows, his status was up and down so much thereafter. Jim was on 3 liters of O2, when we saw Dr. K in May last year. That's when Dr. K talked to us about end of life care.

Yet, in October, he was off of O2 and strong enough to endure 15 days of radiation therapy, walking to/from John's car. Jim never ceased to amaze me with his determination and resiliency.

While I did my best to prepare for Jim's passing, and I knew it was imminent, I still can't believe that he isn't physically here. Every time I'm in Jon's room, I look for Jim. That vacant bed, again. It's the startling reminder of Jim's and Jon's absence. And just ripping it apart a day after Jim's passing, has not been healthy for me spiritually or emotionally. It took me quite awhile, before I was able to remove everything from Jon's room after he passed. I had the "luxury" of waiting until I could handle it. I don't have that now, with the emergent mold issue.

And, the emergent mold issue is a perfect example of when I need Jim here to help me understand what's going on, make the right and best decisions, choices, and just support me through it. For nearly 28 years, we made every decision together, small or large. Even during the past year, Jim told me what to do when the van wouldn't start, the van's tire was deflated, etc. And, every problem we had with The System, Jim was my listening ear and counsel. We talked about EVERYTHING.

John will help me, of course, as will everyone in my loving circle. It's just not the same as turning to Jim, and saying, "What should we do, honey?"

Also, I have to wonder if somehow Jim's passing wasn't accelerated, because we had this mold issue. It may have been a contributing factor for Jonathan too, although there wasn't any mold last year. By this, I mean that Jim knew that the leak issue couldn't continue much longer unaddressed. He said that to me just 3 days before he passed. But, Jim also knew, I'm sure, that nothing could be done, while he was in the bedroom, and there was nowhere else for him to go in the house.

I strongly feel, as do many of my friends and loved ones, that Michael called to Jonathan, "Dad's really ill. It's going to get worse. Mom's wearing out. Come join me, and let's watch over them together. Dad needs Mom now."

So, it's possible that Jonathan and Michael called Jim, "Mom is wearing out. You are very close to joining us, and now is a good time, so she can get the house repaired. Waiting for you with love and light."

While I cherish those images, and I fully believe that life goes on after we leave our vessels, and they ARE together, there are three giant holes in my heart and soul. My life, my everything, my reason for living, for fighting, for loving. It's an indescribable abyss of sorrow and emptiness. Because, I am still human and Earth bound.

And everything I have given to others here on BT, and throughout my life, came from them. From my children and my husband, who taught me about love and courage and perseverance. Maybe I had a small amount of those qualities, before they came into my life. But that small amount emerged and grew, because of them.

Jonathan, Michael, and Jim are the heroes in our love story. If I am regarded as a hero, it's only because I was blessed to be their mother and wife.

Tomorrow, will be one week since Jim began failing. I don't want to relive it, but I know that I will. I try hard to not think about it. But that is also denying the grief process, which might benefit me in some way.

I do feel their presence, every so often, I feel a bit calmer and know that they are helping me. I talk to them constantly. I remembered when Jim and I last watched "While You Were Sleeping," both of us teary-eyed, and Jim said, "That's us."

I have no idea where this next phase will take me. I know it will be chaos, with people coming into the house every day tearing it apart. If it's too much, I will go sit on John's patio during the day, until they finish. And, when it is finished, I will have time to rest a little. I will have a new bathroom and no mold. The other house issues can then wait for awhile. My next project will be getting a will and doing our taxes before July.

Virginia, I love you and pray for you and your family. I also pray that you get your Instacart issues resolved very soon. I know how stressful that is. I've been through it with Instacart too. However, today was a good Instacart day for me. I ordered and it was delivered in 1 hour, by a shopper, who knows me. Silver linings.

Thank you all for your love, prayers and support. I love you and pray for you and your loved ones always.

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!

Comment

Day Six Continued

Last night's sleep seemed restful, when I woke up an hour before dawn. I squeezed oranges for my juice, started my decaf, and I took a walk for 3/4 mile.

A gorgeous, warm morning, so I shed my "cold weather" walking clothes for Spring/Summer. I was unsure of how far I would be able to walk, but I rested a few times on garden retaining walls. I spotted one neighbor, but she didn't see me.

The morning mist hovered over the lakes as the sun bathed the trees in early light. I paused, taking my time for a panoramic view, embracing the beauty of a new day.

Once home, I brought the trash bins up from the street and retrieved our mail. I noticed that the front yard had been watered during the night, which means that the reprogramming I did on the sprinkler system worked. I celebrated a small victory there.

I dared to order from Instacart, and much to my surprise, I could have delivery within 5 hours. Then, to my greater surprise, a shopper began shopping immediately and delivered my order to the front porch within an hour! This shopper has shopped for me several times, a very nice young man. I spoke to him through the front door and thanked him profusely for helping me. He called back, "It's my pleasure, Rose. Stay safe and well."

I wished him the same and said, "Bless You! I appreciate everything you are doing on the front lines."

He thanked me, and off he went to help someone else. Heroes in a pandemic.

I cleaned everything, threw out the bags, and put it all away. I ordered food, which I could easily take to John's house, so that I could have what I know I can eat, and they can have whatever they enjoy eating (meat, poultry, etc.) Throw it in the microwave or the oven, and I don't even need a plate. As I said before, I'm a planner.

Also, I gathered up all of my clothes in our bedroom, which I've just been laying out on our bed for easy access, when I need them. Several bags of laundry, when I'll do that, I don't know. But I need clothes, whether I leave or stay.

For me to transition comfortably out of our home, I need to know that I have everything to help me do that in place. I'm not there yet.

Thank you all for your love, prayers, and continuing support. I love you and pray for you and your loved ones.

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

Originally posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]5412[/ATTACH]

Remember Us This Way

Last night's sleep seemed restful, when I woke up an hour before dawn. I squeezed oranges for my juice, started my decaf, and I took a walk for 3/4 mile.

A gorgeous, warm morning, so I shed my "cold weather" walking clothes for Spring/Summer. I was unsure of how far I would be able to walk, but I rested a few times on garden retaining walls. I spotted one neighbor, but she didn't see me.

The morning mist hovered over the lakes as the sun bathed the trees in early light. I paused, taking my time for a panoramic view, embracing the beauty of a new day.

Once home, I brought the trash bins up from the street and retrieved our mail. I noticed that the front yard had been watered during the night, which means that the reprogramming I did on the sprinkler system worked. I celebrated a small victory there.

I dared to order from Instacart, and much to my surprise, I could have delivery within 5 hours. Then, to my greater surprise, a shopper began shopping immediately and delivered my order to the front porch within an hour! This shopper has shopped for me several times, a very nice young man. I spoke to him through the front door and thanked him profusely for helping me. He called back, "It's my pleasure, Rose. Stay safe and well."

I wished him the same and said, "Bless You! I appreciate everything you are doing on the front lines."

He thanked me, and off he went to help someone else. Heroes in a pandemic.

I cleaned everything, threw out the bags, and put it all away. I ordered food, which I could easily take to John's house, so that I could have what I know I can eat, and they can have whatever they enjoy eating (meat, poultry, etc.) Throw it in the microwave or the oven, and I don't even need a plate. As I said before, I'm a planner.

Also, I gathered up all of my clothes in our bedroom, which I've just been laying out on our bed for easy access, when I need them. Several bags of laundry, when I'll do that, I don't know. But I need clothes, whether I leave or stay.

For me to transition comfortably out of our home, I need to know that I have everything to help me do that in place. I'm not there yet.

Thank you all for your love, prayers, and continuing support. I love you and pray for you and your loved ones.

Love & Light,

Rose
                  Hi Rose,
                  You're very very welcome!! You are extremely smart to get your food and clothes together now in case you need to go to John's house. I always find it so useful to have food that is part of my normal diet with me during travel if possible because it keeps my digestive system more cooperative. Please bring things with you that bring you comfort if you can if/when the time comes to leave. It helps me feel more emotionally stable if I have comforts so I can forget the new environment for a moment if need be. I try to remind myself of the comforts I still have while in social distancing, that some things are still the same. I can't believe Jim's no longer here either. I love the thought of Jon and Michael leading Jim into the spiritual world the way you describe it. I love that photo of your 3 angels.
                  Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
                  My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

Comment

Day Seven

funnylegs4 ~

Thank you so much for relating so well to my need to plan and organize. That is a very special photo of Jim, Jon and Michael taken on our one and only vacation.

We had an Aerostar, and Jim built a trailer in which we stowed the boys' wheelchairs, assorted supplies, our luggage. Two weeks on the road, and everywhere we stopped to stay, Jim unloaded all of that, then reloaded it to get back on the trail. Of course, he also lifted Jon and Michael into/out of their chairs, the car, etc.

I took that photo after Jim and I had attempted to push Jon's and Michael's chairs up a steep and rugged hill for a vista. Tourists coming down told us it wasn't safe for us to continue. So, we struggled to go down. We found this resting area near the gift shop for the park, and we took a breather. A couple of minutes after I took the photo, a soft summer rain began, so we moved into the gift shop. There I found a wedding vase, which Jim and I used in our wedding ceremony.

DAY SEVEN

This morning I noticed an email from the health portal, which was sent on 4/20. I had missed it, so I logged into the health portal today to find an email from Dr. K in response to my email that day thanking him, the infusion center, the radiation oncology unit, and all of the medical personnel, who cared for Jim.

Dr. K simply said:

"Your husband would not have lasted as long as he did, without your support. He was an amazing gentleman."

Since I’m already a bubbling fountain of tears, I wept.

Jim loved Dr. K and his staff, and the nurses, and everyone, who took care of him. And they loved him. Once Jim told them our story, they knew that he was “an amazing gentleman.”

Jim never felt sorry for himself or bemoaned, “Woe is me.” He demonstrated extraordinary strength and courage, always hopeful, with every procedure and treatment.

I know that he will be remembered fondly by all of his caregivers. That warms my heart and comforts my soul.

JOHN’S VISIT TODAY

When John called this afternoon, he asked if I was up to cleaning out the closet. I’m not, but I know it must be done, and John was available and wanted to help.

When he arrived, I told him that I’m utterly exhausted, and I’m trying to do small things each day. For example, my clothes were strewn all across the upstairs bed, and I had tons of laundry, which needed to be sorted. Now, it’s neat with the door open to air it out. The bathroom doors are closed.

I’m thinking that the less there is in each room, the better it will be during mold removal. They may have to use the upstairs bedroom window for their extraction of toxins. I have no idea, but I’m trying to be prepared.

So, John cleared out the remaining stuff in Jon’s closet, and we had so many bags full of Jon’s clothes, it was astonishing. It was painful for me. I remember him wearing these clothes, when he was well and able to go out and enjoy life. After the second bag, I burst into tears.

John stopped, “Oh Rose. Are you remembering something?”

“I’m remembering everything. Everything.” I paused, “Except this sweater.” A beautiful Izod buttercream sweater, so soft, and never worn. “He never got to wear this sweater.” More tears.

John was sympathetic, but then he turned it around, as he often does, to see the positive side. “I know this has to be so hard for you Rose, but once it’s done, it’s done. And you won’t have to go through it again. I’m sorry.”

I saved Jon’s designer gowns, as I just can’t part with them yet. We threw out dozens of indwelling catheters, all of which we paid for, because the agency couldn’t find them.

John put all of the clothes bags in the garage. I will ask the mold experts whether it is safe to donate them after being in the mold closet. If not, then they will have to go into the trash, because there is no way that I will live long enough to wash all of those clothes. Eventually, I will wash Jim’s clothes, which are in the garage, and donate them. All of those nice, soft, cozy fleece shirts and pants he wore for his radiation treatments, as well as his flannel pjs and t-shirts.

The rest of the bags John took to the dumpsters below his home. And, he told me that they were having the interior of their home painted today. So, his house is in a bit of an upset today also.

We left a few more things in the closet, and we agreed that we wouldn’t remove anything against the wall, so as not to disturb the mold.

We wore masks and gloves, of course. I keep the closet door closed, but it has slats in it to allow air.

RAW GRIEF

While John said that he understands my exhaustion, sorrow, trauma, stress, he still encouraged me to call my insurance agent “early in the week.” He said, “I know this is going to be a lot of disruption and stress, but the sooner you get this taken care of, the sooner you can relax and grieve.”

I tried to explain to him that it isn’t that easy.

“Jim began dying last Sunday, a week ago, John, about this time in the day. I was all alone with him. No one here to console me or help me. Then, I had paramedics, police, CSI, and mortuary attendants. It’s been nonstop since with this mold issue. I am old, worn out, and barely functioning. Everyone thinks I’m so strong. Well, I am, but at some point, I’m going to break. I’m actually quite fragile now, like that beautiful urn you’re taking to the mortuary for Jim. So carefully wrapped and protected from harm. I’m not carefully wrapped or protected right now.”

He sighed, “I know, Rose. I’m just concerned about the mold problem, because I’m concerned about you.”

“How long do you think I’ve been living with this mold? It didn’t just happen overnight. I fear the ceiling falling in too. But I’m falling right now. And that has to be factored into whatever happens next.”

I know that I have to put on my Big Girl Pants and do what needs to be done. I’ve been doing that for 7 days. Or, I guess, my entire life. But, I don’t know whether I have the stamina to keep up with this pace.

John did take Jim’s urn, and he will take it tomorrow to the mortuary, where it will be filled and returned to him within a few minutes. Then, he will bring Jim home to me. I’ve been trying to decide the best location for Jim’s urn. I don’t think his urn will fit on the table with Jon’s and Michael’s urns.

I will ask John to remove a tabletop fountain and CD player on the credenza with Michael’s other bronze urn (which I was unable to replicate for Jonathan or Jim). He will need to move the credenza out to access the plugs to them. I may try to do that this evening or tomorrow. I just want to have a space ready for Jim.

And now, the sacred space, where Jonathan and Jim passed, their bed, is loaded with “save” items from the closet. Only a week ago, Jim was in this bed, and we were saying “I love you” over and over and over.

This isn’t right. It shouldn’t be this way. Yet, it is.

I can’t thank you all enough for your love, prayers, compassion, and continuing support. I love you and pray for you and your loved ones every day. Please take good care of yourselves and be well.

Now, I leave you with this in memory of my beloved husband, Jim. You may need kleenex or something like it. I do, of course.

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

Dear Rose,
                      Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and emotions with us. It is an honour and privilege to read and imagine being there with you through these dark days. I am glad that you are allowing the grief to wash over you, this is something you need - it has been too hard holding in the loss of Jonathan all these months. Now is the time to feel his loss and Jim's. But also to remember and continue finding ways to share their special presence and Michael's with the world. There is something powerful in collectively remembering and holding them dear, I believe.

Our house is quiet. Yesterday I made chocolate chips cookies and oatmeal honey bread. We cleaned. The day before yesterday, Jim built a raised outdoor garden and filled it with earth. We will try to grow vegetables this summer. In the afternoon I watched the documentary Crip Camp on Netflix - it is truly inspiring (tears and laughter) - those kids (and their counsellors!!!) were fantastic. Bring back the spirit of the 70's, I say. The film is on Netflix. Today I'll walk the dog in the woods, work on an OpEd I'm writing about allowing parents of ppl with disabilities into hospitals as essential partners in care and make homemade baked beans in the crockpot. Life is much slower these days. Every day we talk to Nick and my sister. Frank is getting along OK - slow but sure recovery - he's better in the mornings and very tired by the afternoon.

Sending much love my friend,
                      Donna xox
                      Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!

Comment

Donna ~

Oh, your delicious food! I can imagine the aroma wafting through your home. I'm hungry!

I'd love to read your OpEd, and thank you for writing it. This really should be where an exception can be made. Yet, I can understand how people, who have hospitalized loved ones, who aren't disabled, might feel that their presence is equally essential. For example, the exception would let me be with Jonathan or Michael, but not Jim. It's a horrible situation for everyone and too often tragic.

While there doesn't appear to be much flattening of the curve happening currently, some states/cities are either opening up or considering doing so assorted businesses. A bowling alley? Are people supposed to wash their hands for 20 seconds after every communal ball they throw? Rent shoes that thousands have worn? How does someone give a person a haircut, a tattoo, or a manicure from 6 feet away? The Mayor of Las Vegas wants to open up casinos! Germs on slot machines, and crowded black jack and crap tables. That sounds safe.

Dr. Fauci says that we'll have another round of COVID-19 in The Fall. I'm sure that will be true, especially if we start opening up everything to the public too soon. Shouldn't there be something between saving our economy or potential death from an out of control virus? I'm just stunned that no country in the world was prepared for a pandemic. One has been predicted for years. It was bound to happen.

People are getting antsy now about isolation, which is understandable. But, to counter that, they have to remember that there is a plague among us, which is far worse than being stuck in your home. And those of us, who have a home, should be grateful that we do. Many don't.

A few days ago, it was 100 degrees here. Ignoring the state mandate that we self-isolate, people flocked to the beaches. Gov. Newsom had a stern response to that in today's address to the state. Staying at home means not risking your life or the lives of others. What part of staying away from each other, so you don't spread the virus, do people not understand?

Anyway ... sorry to go off on a rant. Fear of COVID-19 is on my stressor list.

So pleased to hear of your brother in law's improvement. Perhaps his hormone levels drop in the afternoon. I hope he's being followed by phone or internet by his surgeon. Many prayers on the way for his healing and complete recovery.

I wish I could borrow Daisy for my walks. I won't get a dog, because a pet requires a lot of care, and I am going to be quite occupied for a long time putting my home back together.

Sending my love to you, Jim, Nick, Natalie, and your entire family ~

Be well, be safe, and thank you for everything.

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

Jim Is Home

At 10 this morning, John called and said he was on his way to "bring Jimmy home.”

John brought Jim’s urn into the “Sanctuary,” formerly known as Michael’s room, then Michael’s and Jon’s Room. The Warrior urn was inside a dark red velvet bag. John lifted it out and said that it was heavy.

I made room on the credenza, where Michael’s bronze urn is, for Jim’s urn. I wanted them to be together with Jon’s and Michael’s urns, but I don’t think the tray could hold the weight.

With my hand on Jim’s urn, I wept, “Welcome Home, My Darling. I miss you so much.”

John is always uncomfortable, when I cry, because it makes him emotional, and he doesn’t want to feel that way. He’s the “Look on the Bright Side” Guy. So, I gathered myself, and we talked about the remaining work on the closet.

I told him that I had been busy with gathering and throwing out things throughout the house and intended to continue doing that today. So we postponed the closet until tomorrow afternoon.

CLEANING/ORGANIZING

Our upstairs bedroom is nearly cleared, except for my walking clothes. I have to have access to the bedroom to get my clothes, so I may need to bring them downstairs, where I have nowhere to put them. Dilemma.

I threw out old make up and saved current makeup, which cleaned out a drawer in the upstairs. Then I cleaned out the downstairs bathroom drawer for what I’d saved. Years and years of clutter. Gone.

I gathered up assorted things in Jim’s bedroom. Took out bag after bag of trash. Emptied the dishwasher, cleaned the kitchen.

In the office, I had a pile of stuff from ravaging through the filing cabinet for manuals for various things needing repair. I also found old timesheets from the boys’ programs, and manuals for things we no longer have. I separated them between shredding and recycling. I’m going to have thousands of pounds of shredding, when I finally finish gathering it all up. I don’t intend to do that now. But this is part of the process to prepare for the mold removal.

I laundered some clothes for me, and have a couple more loads to do.

Why is this important to me now? Because our home has been chaotic for over 3 years, but really much longer. I didn’t have the time or energy to organize, to keep up with laundry, to clean the house properly, to get rid of clutter. In the year since Jonathan’s passing, I have been caring for Jim 24/7, so I had no time to dispose of Jon’s files.

And, since I am an organized person by nature, this clutter represented the chaos and reinforced my limitations. I remember telling Jim not long ago, “You should be glad that you can’t climb the stairs, because you wouldn’t want to see the condition of our bedroom or the office right now.”

As always, Jim took my hand and said, “Honey, you can only do so much. I know it bothers you. But in the end, it will all work out somehow.”

In a way, this makes me feel like I’m taking control of that chaos, where I couldn’t for Jonathan or Jim. I cared for them and gave them my everything, but I couldn’t cure them or take away their physical maladies. But, I can tend to our home and bring it to the place, where it should be, after being neglected for so many years.

There is a cure for mold in a home. There are remedies for upgrading our home, trimming our tree, putting in new gutters, etc. Eventually, the garage will be emptied with donations and just throwing out what we can’t even remember is there.

Our home is where we lived, loved, and died. And now I’m going to take care of our home.

MY DREAM

After I ate last night, I curled up in Jon’s recliner and watched a movie. Earlier in the day, I watched “Magnificent Obsession,” a melodrama from the 50’s with Rock Hudson and Jane Wyman. Cried and cried. I fell asleep, and when I woke up at 10 p.m., I decided to get ready for bed.

I woke up at 4:10 a.m., which is the exact time the mortuary van pulled away from our home and drove down our street with Jim last Monday.

Unexpectedly, I fell asleep again, and when I woke up at dawn, it was from a dream where Jim appeared.

Jim didn’t speak. He just stood there silently smiling at me. In the dream, I blinked and looked again, and he was still there. I ran to him arms open, and then I woke up.

I’ve been having so many dreams, and I can’t remember them, when I wake up. But this was vivid.

I’m so grateful Jim visited me, and I pray that he will continue to do so, because I need his strength to see me through this passage.

Jim is home.

For Jim, who loves Tolkien and The Lord of the Rings ~

Thank you all so much for your love, prayers, comfort, kindness, and enduring friendship. I love you and pray for you and your loved ones everyday.

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

OH Rose, you are my mentor. YOU ARE MY MENTOR!!!! You wrote, "Our home is where we lived, loved, and died. And now I’m going to take care of our home." Rose you have always been a caregiver and you continue to be one. Whatever, whomever needs care, you give it. In order to keep going, to preserve and to nurture. Oh, Rose, I am in tears. You are just the most lovely, loving person that I know. Thank you for sharing. We are all watching and learning.
                            xoxo Donna

Comment

So very, very sorry to read this news Rose. I visit BT semi regularly to see how Jim is doing and I am so, so sorry to read this update. Sending you all my love and strength in this time. As many others have said you are an incredible person with amazing strength. Thank you for sharing your family’s journey with us. Please keep reaching out for support here. We are with you, even if not everyone posts. Thinking of you.
                              Enjoying the excitements of life. Looking forward to what's to come! What a ride!

Comment

Peace Divine

Donna ~

Oh my goodness! I don't feel deserving of this high praise. Thank you, and I am honored and speechless. (Imagine that! ) Jonathan and Michael are the ones to be praised, as they taught me the meaning of unconditional love. And then Jim entered our lives with his unconditional love. That foundation kept us going through all of the crises, and it keeps me going now.

By taking care of our home now, I am taking care of myself. I believe that our home is who we are. If it's cluttered, in chaos, then we are cluttered and in chaos. Our home has been cluttered and in chaos for a very long time. I was unable to maintain it, because all of my focus was on Jonathan and Jim, as it should be. Still, it bothered me that I couldn't maintain it. And, now I have the time, and now, I need to feel organized and prepared. Now, I need a clean home, a tidier home.

And while it is exhausting physically, I do take breaks. And seeing the results does make me feel better. I've accomplished quite a bit, and it shows. I can look at our home and see it in better shape than it was, with much more needing to be done. Major work all over it. But I can't do that major work right now, so I'm doing the work I can.

Today, I swiffered the floors upstairs, and the dust I gathered was unbelievable. Then, I dusted all of the furniture. Again, astonishing. I just left the upstairs go for so long, because I was concentrating on Jim and the downstairs.

I actually put two accent pillows on our bed in the master bedroom. They had been hidden on the chest at the bottom of our bed under my piles of clothes. Yes, the closet doors are still broken. Yes, the paint and wallpaper are 26 years old. Yes, it needs a complete make over. But it's neat and clean for now.

Why am I doing all of this, when a crew of workers will be coming in to tear apart our home to fix the mold problem? Because, right now, this is what I need. I need the rooms to be clean for just awhile, after being filthy for so long. I need order, organization, readiness. When I look at the office and bedroom now, I don't feel so helpless, so futile, so depressed. I'm proud of myself for making the effort and satisfied with the result. That gives me inner strength to face whatever awaits.

I've always been this way. When Jon or Michael were in the hospital, I spent my hours with them tidying their room, putting away their linens, putting a towel on their tray and arranging all of the supplies on it, wiping down the surfaces with disinfectant, gathering the trash. It may sound compulsive, but to me, it is a way of doing something, when I feel helpless to do anything. At least I could give them a clean and cozier room.

In a way, I'm doing that now for myself.

EQUIPMENT RETURN

This morning, I called the vendor, which supplied Jim's O2 concentrator and tanks. The person, to whom I spoke, was nice, and said she was sorry for my loss and told me to take care of myself. She said the driver would call me to let me know his ETA, but he didn't. The time frame was 10:30-5:30. I'm here anyway, so it's no big deal waiting.

The tanks were in the garage, so I put the concentrator with them. I told the lady that I didn't want the driver to come into my home. There's no need for that. COVID-19.

The driver arrived about 2:30, and he knocked loudly on the front door, despite the sign on it, which I have not removed: "Please do not knock. Residents are sleeping. Thank you."

"Who is it?" I called through the front door. He answered with his company's name, and I peeked out the front window and saw his van.

I told him that I would open the garage door, where the tanks and concentrator are located. No contact with him at all. And that is a good thing, because he was not wearing a mask. He delivers respiratory equipment. And no mask?

JOHN'S VISIT

John called at 3:45, and he sounded very tired. He's had a lot going on at his home with repainting the interior and new furniture arranging. His wife is in her realm, because she loves decorating and anything creative. So we called off today's final clean out of Jon's closet. I'm pretty knackered too, so it's just as well. We'll work on it tomorrow.

COMPUTER FRIGHT!

As I was checking email this afternoon, my computer went "boop," and the screen went black. I clicked the mouse, and the screen came back white, with the rotating gear. Oh, no, here we go again!

I ran downstairs to see if we'd had a power outage, but we hadn't. So, back to the computer. White screen, rotating gear, then a funky grey patch thing on the bottom left of the screen. All familiar to other shut downs my dear computer has experienced.

I just shook my head. It would be laughable, if I weren't already so overwhelmed with grief and major repairs to our home. Timing is everything.

I prayed that the computer would not give out on me, and give it the same old college try it has in the past. I left it to recover, while I did laundry.

A few hours later, there was my Owl asking for my password. I gave abundant thanks. I had the iPad out, and I plugged it in to recharge it. But it is my last resort.

CPChick ~

Thank you so much for your love and support. I've missed you, and I pray that you are well and safe. I hope you'll drop in again soon and bring us an update on you and your world.

This evening, I leave you with a performance by the incredible Jackson Browne, a survivor of COVID-19, recorded during or after his recovery. "Peace Divine:"

Thank you all so much for your continuing love, prayers, support, encouragement and kindness. I love you and pray for you and your loved ones everyday.

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

Working...
                                X