Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: April Chit Chat

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

Ann, suggest to your Mom that it would be safer to put the tip in an envelope, write a note on the outside of the envelope and then tape it to the front door shortly before the delivery is to arrive. She could put instructions on the envelope of where to leave the groceries too. We do that, such as "Please leave the groceries on the bench (we have a bench right outside our front door) and ring the doorbell as you leave so we know they have been delivered. Thank you!". Of course, your mother would have to haul the groceries into the house herself and might risk falling. I don't know which is more dangerous at this time, a possible fall or having someone bring them in for her.

We get groceries through Instacart. We have them leave the groceries on the bench and once the delivery people are gone (deliveries are made by a tag team of 2, guess it's much faster that way!). DH then goes outside with gloves on, a wagon and Clorox wipes. As he takes each item out of the bags, he wipes each item down with the wipes and places them in the wagon, then brings them in to put away. The bags, used wipes and gloves are later taken right to the trash can. It's a process, but a necessary process for us. My bout with pneumonia & hospitalization in January really frightened and weakened me!

My 93 year old aunt lives in an assisted living facility in Southern California. She recently fell for the umpteenth time, this time fracturing her shoulder on one side and her elbow on the other . . . basically both of her arms are out of commission. On top of that, her facility isn't allowing any visitors for anyone there, as a precaution so that someone doesn't bring the coronavirus into the facility. They are even keeping the residents in their rooms and serving them meals in their rooms instead of in the dining room.
    I spoke to her today and she says she is going crazy being shut in! I told her she is safe, that's a good thing and that she could call me anytime if she needs to talk or cry to someone, day or night. She knows I get it, as we, who deal with disabilities, do.

Be well and count your blessings everyone!

J:oan

2. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Chlorox wipes!
    We have a shortage here. Canít find them.

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

No Clorox wipes or Lysol anything here either. No off brands. I’m using alcohol but I only have less than a pint. Mom has Lysol.

She completely understands her mis-step. She has left a note on the mailbox for others. The mailbox is attached to the house beside the front door. My dad glued a clip clothespin to the lid long ago and painted it to match the mailbox. It’s for out going mail but perfect for leaving an envelope w a tip.

Nuthatch, I understand your fear. That last hospitalization was so frightening.
    ANN
    Last edited by stillstANNding; 04-19-2020 at 03:50 PM.
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Smile

:) The Lyrid meteor showers will take place in April. The best times to view them is midnight between the 17th and the 22nd in the Eastern sky.

The only way I can look East is through the kitchen window or out in the front driveway. Too many mosquitoes for that. Enjoy and stay safe. Jeanie :)

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Clorox wipes cannot be found here either. I happen to use them in regular times and had 1 container on hand. Believe me, I'm rationing them now.
    I was browsing around last night and came across this site. Quite interesting. https://www.epa.gov/pesticide-regist...nst-sars-cov-2

This CDC page is very helpful and provides links to more info. at the bottom of the page, including the answers to questions about pets (Ann!)
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...your-home.html

This one pertains to us!
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ou-can-do.html

Be well and safe everyone!

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

nuthatch, the list in the first link you posted is very useful! I found a long list of products that work against the coronavirus starting on page 9.

I looked up the disinfectant I happened to have around here, and it was on the list.

I have it because the plumbing auger I sometimes have to use needs to be disinfected after use. I'm really glad I already have an OK product here because it might be hard to find any in stores just now.
    Last edited by agate; 04-19-2020 at 08:39 AM. Reason: typo
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

12. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Smile

[B]:) The aides I had when I came home from rehab got Andy to get Clorox wipes, Lysol spray, alcohol, hand sanitizers, rubber gloves. etc. I also had 3 masks from when I was nursing.

Toilet paper and paper towels are still not available but I still have 4 rolls. Hopefully soon the stores will be stocked again.
    Jeanie :)[/B]

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

When I went to Food Lion on payday, the isle of toilet paper and paper towels was empty. But on another isle, I found 3 packs of paper napkins, 100 count each pack, and bought them all. They are filling my paper products needs, nicely!
    Evolution spans the Universe.

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

My daughter, spouse, and Tula spent the day Thursday cleaning up pine needles and downed debris at their property in preparation for the fire season. While they were there they got the scan disk memory card out of the game cam which set up pointed at their long dirt driveway. The cam snaps a picture when motion is detected. It was originally set up to see if any humans were trespassing on the property. No humans but it sure is catching shots of creatures of the night . . . very scary creatures! Lions & Bears!!! The driveway appears to be a creature highway! The family is not living on this property now, but plans to once the house has been redone. John is doing it all himself and basically took the house down to a shell so it won't be done soon, thank goodness!

Here's the latest pics. You can see the date and time when the pictures were taken.

The below shot of a mountain lion in the snow is not as clear as the above, more recent picture. It's probably the same one in both pics, but going in different directions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Ooh, pretty very scary, Nuthatch. Cool, too.

Thank you. (Blows kiss)
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

20. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast