Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Toilet paper??

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Jingle)))))) ~

I don't think that stocking up on cat litter and food qualifies as hoarding. Were the litter and cat food in sufficient quantity on the shelves?

Today, I listened to a couple of experts, who echoed what ANN said about hoarding being a form of control. When we're told that the C-virus is spreading, that there are no vaccines or cures for it, and that we should self-isolate and avoid crowds, people fear the worst. They want to gather up all of the supplies to keep them safe, while they isolate at home.

I understand that visceral response to an extent. When I first heard about the toilet paper and paper towels being devoured by anxious folks, I checked our supply, and I was relieved that we have enough on hand to last us for a couple of weeks. I felt a little like, "Well, at least we don't have to worry about that."

John texted this morning and said that if we need anything from the store, he would try to find it for us. He is a rep for a distributor, so he is in grocery stores and Target every day. He said, "it's just craziness in the stores." Empty shelves everywhere, but still people pouring in to see if they can find that one last roll of toilet paper.

I asked if his teenage daughter's volleyball tournaments were cancelled. He said not only volleyball, but school, and her prom. So, she is not going to school, which I'm sure is not making her or her friends happy. She's very popular, and she is with a group of friends, who do everything together. Boys and girls, some dating each other, some not, just having fun. They are all very smart, athletic, and social. I'll bet the iPhones are buzzing day and night.

My prayer is that this chaos will calm within a week or so. Once it has set in that we're dealing with a pandemic, and life has to change for us, I pray we'll all adjust. Jim and I don't have to adjust. As I told the pharmacy tech today, when I ordered Jim's supplies for tomorrow's port blood draw, "We've been self-isolating long before that term was invented."

Perhaps there are lessons for us here. For example, this will teach us to slow down our pace and not take everything, including toilet paper, for granted. Being forced to be isolated from others might also make us appreciate our loved ones more. It might cause us to be more productive in our home. Clean out that closet or attic that's been unattended for decades. Plant a garden. Paint the house. Read a book sitting in front of a cozy fire or outside on a sunny day.

Maybe we can all embrace the saying, "Life is what you make it."

This has always been our motto in our home. We take Paul McCartney's guidance in "Hey Jude": "Don't make it bad. Take a sad song and make it better."

Every person on Earth is facing the C-virus crisis. Everyone is at risk, some have a risk greater than others. We have to think of each other as neighbors and do our best to contain the virus by following the guidelines of the CDC, WHO and scientists. And as neighbors, we have to help each other any way that we are able to help.

Be safe and well everyone.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

2. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Good advice, Rose. And I do not think you’re hoarding either, Jingle. It sounds like less than a month of cat food and litter.

Peter went to work today. On the way home he was able to stop at a well stocked grocery. He asked what I wanted. Well, we needed Kleenex - so he bought a three pack. And I asked for an onion and tulips. Everything is better w onion and tulips just because. He also brought babaganoush and dardara salad.

I was thinking about that onion all day instead of worrying.
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

4. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar
    Blog Entries

They cancelled my toilet paper order during the night. Refunded my money immediately. All I can hope to do is hit one of the walmarts or krogers by me when they open. I really only need one big package. We may be reduced to using paper towels which I am finding.

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member jingle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by houghchrst View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They cancelled my toilet paper order during the night. Refunded my money immediately. All I can hope to do is hit one of the walmarts or krogers by me when they open. I really only need one big package. We may be reduced to using paper towels which I am finding.
    I took myself out to lunch today after I went to Lowe's because the clerk at my Walmart had told me that Lowe's had TP … they didn't.
    At lunch the waitress said that her Walmart would open boxes of TP and sell between 11 and 1. I didn't believe her but when I finished lunch I went to that Walmart and - wow - they were selling 5 or 6 different brands. Big signs limited each customer to one pkg. I got a pkg of 8 rolls of Northern.
    I suggest you check with your local Walmart.

8. The following 3 users say "thanks"

I also don't understand why they are hoarding toilet papers, if it was disinfecting solutions, food and the basic necessities I would understand

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

jingle ~

I'm glad that you found some toilet paper. It brings us back to your original post starting this thread. People swarmed the stores for toilet paper, because they knew that other people would swarm the stores, and the supply would diminish rapidly. As in, "I better go out and buy lots of toilet paper, before there isn't any left on the shelves!"

I continue to receive emails from companies, where I've shopped. Even our bank sent us an email. Costco and some other stores are having an "elders only" period of shopping, so that seniors can worry a little less about exposure. Most stores have agreed that customers are limited to the quantity they can purchase, as it was for you at WalMart.

This is sensible, but I still think that it is wiser for every store to have a delivery service, such as Instacart. No one should have to go out shopping, when there are people, who can shop for them and bring the groceries to their door.

Realistically, there aren't enough test kits to determine whether your cashier or the person stocking the shelves has COVID-19. They could also have the flu or a cold. Our shoppers aren't being tested either.

The stores can declare that they are wiping down everything with industrial disinfectant every 4 hours (that isn't often enough when hundreds of people are shopping). Without tests, we have no idea who has or doesn't have the virus. Is it possible to test negative one day, and a few days later test positive? I suspect it is.

All of the schools in our county and adjoining counties have closed. Restaurants and bars are closing. That's the only way to keep the young folks out of them. Young people are typically oblivious to mortality. And that's fine, as long as they are conscientious about others, who are vulnerable.

Every person on Earth is susceptible to COVID-19, whether they have no symptoms, mild symptoms, or fatal consequences, we're all in this together. We have to change our way of living. We have to be more cautious. We have to learn not to take everything we have at our disposal for granted. We have to love and care about each other.

Stay home and be well. It's all we can do right now for ourselves and everyone around us.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

12. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member jingle's Avatar

I certainly plan on staying home now … but … but...but … I don't know yet if my church will cancel Wednesday night service, my favorite. I desperately need that visit to the dentist and I hear dentists are closing except for drastic emergencies. I , I, I ….

I hope and pray that everyone is as safe and well stocked as I am, that everyone will be OK. I'm keeping each of you in my prayers.

14. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

((((((Jingle)))))) ~

Perhaps your church can find a way to have the Wednesday night service on line? The internet means that we don't have to give up social contact. Maybe this could be a project for your church and congregation to find a new way to connect. Suggest this to your minister/pastor, and hopefully something can be worked out so that you all can celebrate together, while being physically separated.

Jim's oncologist office called today to cancel his appointment on 3/23. A friend of ours is waiting for a hip replacement. Postponed. This is what we have to do for the general well being of everyone, as well as to protect the most vulnerable.

Perhaps you should contact your dentist to express your concerns. Your dentist might give you advice on how to stave off problems until it's possible for you to come in for treatment.

Stress can affect our immune system, so we all need to focus on ways to reduce our stress during this crisis.

We have to find new ways to connect and meet our needs.

Healing prayers for all ~

Love & Light,

Rose

16. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

My husband starts working from home tomorrow. I am grateful for that. Today he brought a green pepper for some chili I’m planning, chocolate and cherry tomatoes. The yogurt and meat shelves were completely wiped out. That’s probably the last shopping for awhile.

Chris, I hope you get the TP and anything else you need.
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

18. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well I still haven't found that toilet paper yet but I have peeps watching out for me. My brother called me last night to see how we were doing and to let me know that Target had TP but they were giant packages and I can't afford $30 for toilet paper. I am hoping that with the 8 or so dollar rolls will hold me until this blows over. Only problem with the dollar rolls is they last like two days.

The stores look pillaged and the fresh meat is picked through with ground beef being completely gone. Lots of roasts and some chicken breast filets. I went to the freezer section and bought two rolls of frozen ground beef. Don't think anybody had caught on that the frozen rolls are in the bottom beginning corner of the freezers. I have a meat grinder attachment for my Kitchen Aid mixer so I can make my own ground beef but it has to be done right.

20. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast