Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rough timeline for updating the forum and server

Howdy folks :)

Long time no type :( Sorry about that, since BT was doing ok on autopilot I kind of let it do it's thing. However the time has come (and gone but I got another extension) to fully upgrade BT. We will be updating to vBulletin 5. whatever the newest version is next month, and we will actually be hosted by vBulletin. This was decided because it is a little cheaper in the long run, but in case something happens and I'm not around the vB folks will fix it :)

What to expect with the new software?

A lot ... good and kinda not so good

It's going to look quite different but familiar at the same time. Most of the user functionality will remain the same. We will get the chat rooms back :). A more robust gallery. A bunch of stuff that I can't think of and I can't find my comparison notes :(

The kinda not so good stuff is mostly on the back end (they made it harder to "hack" the software to make changes) and won't affect the user experience.

I'm currently smack dab in the middle of leaving CA for OR. I will be out of my house on the 24th and in OR around the 1st (making a side trip first). So after I get unpacked I'll give a more concrete timeline and a clearer idea of what to expect.

Oh yea, I'm also the new Treasurer for BTC Inc as of Jan 2020 (or was it Feb?). We now can do all of the stuff we've wanted to do to grow BT since JL is no longer a problem. I also don't want to get your hopes up too high, but we (Dan Hoch actually) has the physical server that BT was on before the 06 crash. We will be looking into the costs of trying to restore anything that is on the drive(s) once I get moved.
    Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
    Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
    Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Sounds awesome thanks for the update. Congratulations on your new position. Safe travels. I look forward to the changes.

Comment

Thanks....and Happy Trails to you!
      Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

Comment

Hi - question - in the new update, is there any talk of improving the data security? Currently, the forum is not secure and is google searchable (I received a PM from a university friend who had read all my postings - eek!). It would be more comforting if the security was improved, if poss. Thanks, Donna
        Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
        Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

Comment

Originally posted by Donna Thomson View Post
          Hi - question - in the new update, is there any talk of improving the data security? Currently, the forum is not secure and is google searchable (I received a PM from a university friend who had read all my postings - eek!). It would be more comforting if the security was improved, if poss. Thanks, Donna

Ditto! I was also shocked to discover my posts were so easily accessed by a google search.
          Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

Comment

And yet if you Google "neurology message boards," BrainTalk is nowhere to be found, at least on the first 5 pages.

But it's encouraging that if you Google "neurology support discussion forums," BrainTalk does appear. It came up as the 4th listing on the first page.
            SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Google will always be able to search all posts in the public forums. It's not a security issue, it's part of "SEO" (search engine optimization). If Google wasn't allowed to crawl and read/store threads/posts we'd never show up in searches. Our current SEO is horrible for search rankings, something that will be addressed with the update :)

All public forums on the internet are "copied" into Googles database.
              Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
              Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
              Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
              Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
              Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
              Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
              Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Comment

Yes mike..we know. But it is good to remind people sometimes. I always write warnings when members are sharing info that I think could cause them trouble. Usually about eyesight issues.

Thanks for all your efforts.
                Linda~~~~

Comment

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Mike ~

I am technologically inept, and I need educating please.

I don't use my full name on BT or anywhere, so what happens if I Google my user name of Earth Mother 2 Angels? What I came up with were references to "what is an Earth Angel?" and the song, "Earth Angel."

Thank you for all you do for us. I hope your move to Oregon goes smoothly.

Love & Light,

Rose
                  Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up! What do I do if I have trouble signing in to the new version of BT??? Let me know???
                    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
                    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

Comment

Working...
                    X