Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: March chitchat

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have 3 medical appointments coming up in April but I'm going to cancel all of them and reschedule at a later date. I'll also need to cancel all of the ride requests.

The paratransit system is doing rides only for essential medical trips, and these aren't essential, IMO, since they're all routine: eye doctor, dentist, hearing aids. I'd prefer not to wait 18 months for the rescheduling though. Maybe May or June.

I really don't much mind postponing any of them since there are no urgent problems that I need to take up with any of those medical providers.

I won't be able to get my hair cut until the restrictions are lifted. I was hoping to have it cut in May. The woman who does haircuts in this building once a month won't be allowed to enter because she's not doing an essential service.

I'm glad I never got rid of my home haircutting tools. Whether I can still use them is a question.

Now I'm hoping that somehow some groceries will get here today.

Other than those inconveniences, I don't usually go anywhere anyway and hardly ever have visitors. I won't be seeing my grandson for quite a while, most likely, but maybe I can go over to their place eventually. Meanwhile, his parents post videos and photos on Facebook, and I've been enjoying them.

So for me, and for quite a few people with chronic neurological disorders, I suspect, the "new normal" that people are talking about is pretty much the "old normal."

I'll miss the monthly mobile library that comes here to this building. It's the way I get movies on DVD to watch. I can't do streaming video very well as there usually aren't subtitles. I have no idea when the library outreach program will be back again but they surely won't be here in April.

Life isn't so very different for me. Many with chronic neurological disorders are probably finding that staying "in place" is what they've been doing for years anyway.

What about the irresponsible young people celebrating spring break as usual by crowding together on beaches?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ad/2873248001/

The surfers among us wouldn't be at those beaches, we hope.
    Last edited by agate; 03-19-2020 at 10:10 AM.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

2. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by agate View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What about the irresponsible young people celebrating spring break as usual by crowding together on beaches?
    We all know that young people are indestructible!
    "The Purest Blue".

Love and Rockets

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Id go to a beach which is well spread out

6. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Agate, I had finally agreed to a "wellness physical" with my PCP on April 20th. I feel sure it will be cancelled. A small filling came out of a tooth, but unless I begin to hurt which I don't much think I will, I will not call the Dentist. My eye appointment is due and I feel certain my glasses will changed, but that will not happen until things change with COVID19.

Nuthatch, I think you know how I feel about that photo you posted of Tula and Dahlia. I thought I had seen some cute ones, but I believe that one beats all. I am not sure which one I want the most Tula or Dahlia. Of course if I got one I would have to take the other. Anyone can see they couldn't be separated. They are definitely best friends. I love both those girls - the little one and the big one.
    Virginia

8. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Virginia, I figured that all of those appointments I just cancelled wouldn't make it possible to stay 3 feet (6 feet?) away from people. Dentist, audiologist, and eye doctor all have to get closer than 3 feet, and if I have no special complaints just now, why go in for a routine checkup? I'd just be clogging the already-strained transportation system.

If I have a sudden tooth problem, I have an emergency number for the dentist. No, it's not Howie's number.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

10. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agate, I had finally agreed to a "wellness physical" with my PCP on April 20th. I feel sure it will be cancelled. A small filling came out of a tooth, but unless I begin to hurt which I don't much think I will, I will not call the Dentist. My eye appointment is due and I feel certain my glasses will changed, but that will not happen until things change with COVID19.

Nuthatch, I think you know how I feel about that photo you posted of Tula and Dahlia. I thought I had seen some cute ones, but I believe that one beats all. I am not sure which one I want the most Tula or Dahlia. Of course if I got one I would have to take the other. Anyone can see they couldn't be separated. They are definitely best friends. I love both those girls - the little one and the big one.

Maybe call the dentist and ask what to do? And what not to do? And the consequences of waiting. The COVID is going to get worse, not better, before it gets better...

12. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Well Agate, you know my office door is always open! I even keep a pair of pliers ready!
    "The Purest Blue".

Love and Rockets

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All*)))))) ~

nuthatch ~

Add me to the list of joyful folks upon viewing that precious photo of Tula and Dahlia. There is something special between children and dogs. I've been watching You Tube videos of dogs, of all sizes and breeds, interacting with babies, toddlers, and young children. The dogs are so protective of "their" children, and the children are just fascinated and delighted by the dogs.

Although my boys were adults, when our stray Cocker Spaniel adopted us, her attention toward them was the same ~ protective and loving. During Michael's final hospitalization, she laid under his bed every day for 3 weeks. She divided her time between Michael's bed and Jonathan's bed. She knew that she had to watch out for Jonathan.

Please keep posting photos. I love them!

agate ~

I think that you were wise to cancel your appointments. Unless it is urgent, or vitally necessary, it makes the most sense right now.

Jim's oncologist's office called on Monday to cancel his appointment on March 23. I intended to cancel it anyway, because Jim isn't up to going, but COVID-19 sealed the deal on that decision. I called today, and his next appointment is July 17. I remarked that COVID-19 will probably still be around then, probably worse than it is now at the rate we're going in combating it here.

I'm so happy for you that you can connect with your grandson via the internet. Do you have FaceTime? Or Skype? Maybe you could get that set up so that you could have real time on line visits.

I can relate to your hair cut situation. I've been thinking about cutting my hair. I think it's longer now than when I was in high school! John's niece is a hair stylist, and she comes to our home to cut our hair. But we've all been so busy, and Jim's health was a factor. She last cut my hair on October 5, 2018. Yikes! I need a snood! Now, with this virus, I don't feel safe around anyone, including John, because he is still working in, of all places, grocery stores.

Apparently, young people aren't the only ones, who aren't taking this seriously. I've read a series of articles on line about middle aged people, who complain about their parents in their 70s'-80's, who still think that it's okay to do all the things they're used to doing. These Seniors appear to be oblivious to the gravity of this virus, particularly for them.

And the young folks are oblivious to the possibility that they could transmit the virus to their grandparents, who could then die, because they (the young folks) were irresponsible and foolish. And, let's face it, self-involved.

This pandemic doesn't care who we are, how much money we have, if we're an NBA star or a paramedic or a plumber, a child, teen, adult. It is indiscriminate. We are told that the majority of patients with COVID-19 will recover. But that is little comfort to those of us, who know we won't be among that number.

Virginia ~

I agree that you should cancel your appointments. If you can get by waiting to have them, that's the best option for now. For all of us, I believe, it is the best option.

Sunshine ~

I also agree with you that this virus will get much worse, long before it gets better. Dr. Fauci says it may take 18 months to develop a vaccine. So, we better get used to hunkering down in our homes.

Prayers for all and healing energy to everyone ~

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

16. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Maybe the COVID-19 outbreak reaches a peak and then ebbs off, or at least that's what it seems to be doing in China--if this account is believable:

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...k-in-epicenter

18. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

20. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast