X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stillstANNding View Post
    David, you are not going to like your post when you re-read it tomorrow.ANN
    To be honest, I don't like this whole thread. I don't like seeing politics in our community.I have received countless countless "comments" regarding BrainTalk becoming a political discussion community.To put my "official" capacity aside, and to speak as a member who has been here since 1999, I feel that we really need a more "return to the womb" attitude if we are going to ever get back to being BrainTalk again. We need to focus on what we really are meant to be.A Neurological Information and Support Community.That's what I came here for in 1999. That's why I stayed. That's what I am trying to restore.I don't like inferences that my "neurological disorder" (epilepsy) somehow effects my competence in any way, of being a good leader here.Epilepsy never stopped me from making a career as a professional chef, being an EFA support group facilitator, or spending 17 years working here with BTC.Yes, I am human, I do have bad days.I may have posted a bit rashly here.Perhaps this should/could have been dealt with more privately.I apologize if things were taken as insults or attacks. They certainly were not meant as such.I can make these posts disappear if it makes everyone more comfortable.My purpose initially was to inform, not kick open a hornet's nest.Perhaps my absence as community manager has simply left me out of practice with PR.
    "The Most Determined Win!"

” If Windmills do indeed cause cancer, wouldn’t spinning them backwards cure it?” 🤪

Comment

Originally posted by David Hosobuchi View Post
      To be honest, I don't like this whole thread. I don't like seeing politics in our community.I have received countless countless "comments" regarding BrainTalk becoming a political discussion community.To put my "official" capacity aside, and to speak as a member who has been here since 1999, I feel that we really need a more "return to the womb" attitude if we are going to ever get back to being BrainTalk again. We need to focus on what we really are meant to be.A Neurological Information and Support Community.That's what I came here for in 1999. That's why I stayed. That's what I am trying to restore.I don't like inferences that my "neurological disorder" (epilepsy) somehow effects my competence in any way, of being a good leader here.Epilepsy never stopped me from making a career as a professional chef, being an EFA support group facilitator, or spending 17 years working here with BTC.Yes, I am human, I do have bad days.I may have posted a bit rashly here.Perhaps this should/could have been dealt with more privately.I apologize if things were taken as insults or attacks. They certainly were not meant as such.I can make these posts disappear if it makes everyone more comfortable.My purpose initially was to inform, not kick open a hornet's nest.Perhaps my absence as community manager has simply left me out of practice with PR.
      Thank you David...for everything. I am perfectly comfortable with Braintalk and do understand the issues with a politics thread. Sometimes I think we can all act childish and threaten to gather our marbles and go home. Please don’t !
      Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

Comment

Rose, I feel by your post, there is a great misunderstanding here.

I am not saying there will be any type of banning...

I am saying that we must return to the policy of zero political discussion in this community.
        This is not because of my personal decision. This is a decision of the majority of the Board of Directors based on what is written in our Articles of Incorporation.
        Even as president of the organization, I cannot alone, go against the decisions of the Board of Directors. Their interpretation of the articles of organization stand.

The user agreement and TOS state that political discussion are not allowed in the community. This has been the case since we were founded. I now know the exact reasons.

During the time you speak of, when the political thread made it's showing in the MS forum, I was not available for consult. The decision to allow it to continue was made by Mike, an "Ex Facto" Director, like myself at that time. Basically "acting" positions, we had little or no resources to the tools needed to effectively do the jobs we were holding here at BT. Unfortunately this decision was a mistake.

I came back from what had caused my absence as community manager. I discovered the issue, and knew it had to end. I did not blame anyone except myself, and my absence. No punitive action was taken. The posts were removed.

I am sorry for any confusion over this issue.
        All I am saying is political discussion in this community can't continue any longer.

Asking me to provide documentation of our nonprofit status, or documentation of anything because I announce policy is what opened this can of worms....

I am certainly not considering banning anyone here for simply speaking their mind.
        I don't know where that came up.
        Though certain things might be best said via PM.

If members do violate the user agreement, and continue to posting about political issues, the may be subject to banning for violating the TOS.

I would not be doing what I am if I did not have strong feeling for everyone here.

It has been a long day for me.
        I am going to go have dinner.
        "The Most Determined Win!"

” If Windmills do indeed cause cancer, wouldn’t spinning them backwards cure it?” 🤪

Comment

I generally think ending political discussion here is the better option. I think the people who discussed politics here did it very respectfully though so well done to us. My apologies if anything I said politically was offensive.
          Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
          My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

Comment

Just for the record, and since Rose mentioned that she wasn't sure when the blog began:

The first politics blog post is dated 9/24/19 but that went up only after checking with the admin by PM. On October 1 I was notified by the admin that the blogs are a user's own personal space and that people can post pretty much anything they want there so long as it's peaceful and clean--and no spamming.

Everyone who took part in that blog was respectful and peaceful. Eventually the blog was made more open, and everyone was still respectful and peaceful. But I'm sure all of us have been around here long enough to realize that we were on shaky ground discussing politics here just because the rules about it have always been strict--and that the admins could decide against using a blog to discuss politics.

They do have to account for themselves to various higher-ups who have control over whether this place exists.

We had 5 months of being able to talk about our politics concerns at a time when they were very much on our minds. I'm glad we had that opportunity to experiment with political discussion here, at that particular time.
            Last edited by agate; 02-26-2020, 08:31 AM.
            SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

ANN ~

Good point. Yes, I remember when BT members were donating to bring back the server, or whatever it was we were donating for, before John Lester abandoned us for greener pastures.

I also remember that during our recovery period, members were trying to donate through a complicated, cumbersome venue. I didn't even pursue it, after I read about others' issues with it.

My reference was to recent times, when donations were not a possibility for us.

David ~

You mentioned "permanent banning" in your #12 post. I was responding to that statement. I realize it pertains to arguments about wanting to continue discussing politics on BT. I don't think that any of us are arguing about that. We all recognize the constraints of the non-profit and TOS. We support BT; we support you; we support each other.

agate ~

I also appreciate the opportunity we had to discuss politics in an informative and detailed manner for as long as we did. I wouldn't call these "interesting times." I call them "overwhelming times," because there is so much happening every second of every day in our country and the world. For me, it was therapeutic to share thoughts and feelings, as well as information, with my BT friends. I will miss that.

Onward ... with love and gratitude for our home here at BT.

Love & Light,

Rose
              Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

I also remember that during our recovery period, members were trying to donate through a complicated, cumbersome venue. I didn't even pursue it, after I read about others' issues with it.
                Was it the iGive system? I recall trying and trying to donate through iGive. If you signed up for it, every time you bought something from certain specified merchants, a contribution would be made to BrainTalk. For a while it was working but then it no longer was.
                SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

agate ~

Yes, I think it was the iGive system. You certainly have a good memory! How many years ago was that? I recall that there were many discussions about it, how to use it, whether it was working, etc. It was more than I could handle, so I didn't pursue it.

Love & Light,

Rose
                  Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Old e-mails disclose that I was using iGive to contribute to BrainTalk in February 2014, and the problems with iGive must have come along some time after that. I signed up with AmazonSmile some time in the last few years and have donations going to the grocery delivery service I use. BrainTalk could probably hook up with AmazonSmile too, I think.

Comment

Working...
                    X