This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About the politics blog

For those who have been posting in the Politics blog, I hope that you don't treasure your posts because they are going to disappear. If you would like to preserve them, you can probably go there now and copy and paste them into a file you can save on your computer.

It was an experiment, and apparently the administration has had second thoughts about it. They are no longer willing to have politics discussed here at BrainTalk, and that includes the BrainTalk blogs.

I'm sorry if this comes as a disappointment.
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

It's not actually "second thoughts", more of a "coming to senses" after "seeing the light". After careful examination of the Articles of Incorporation, when I officially accepted the duties of Director, and then President of BTC, Inc last November. I discovered that it is written into our bylaws, that we may not engage in any "activities" of a political or partisan nature.
    Our bylaws define us as an organization. They define what we are, how we operate, down to the fact that we are an online community for information and support for neurological disorders. They specifically say we can't engage in politics.

This is not just a question of the TOS. This is a question of violating our articles of incorporation. As the new president of the organization, I can't knowingly do this.
    I must end this. I am sorry.
    I must do it to preserve our community from possible closure. Willful violation of our bylaws would be serious.

BrainTalk Communities is all about support and information for neurological disorders for everyone.

We may be living in interesting times, though political discussion often divides people. We don't need division here. Especially now.
    We are attempting to restore our community. One I have great faith in.
    There are no political parties here. Everyone is welcome.
    Neurological disorders have no political views. Why should we in discussing them or giving support?
    Is that not what BTC is all about???

Yes, we will be making all political posts disappear from public view.

Thank you all in advance for your understanding and support.
    Last edited by David Hosobuchi; 02-25-2020, 12:03 AM.
    "The Most Determined Win!"

” If Windmills do indeed cause cancer, wouldn’t spinning them backwards cure it?” 🤪

Comment

aaww Agate I'm sorry, that sucks, I know how much work you must have put into it. I understand it but it is still a bummer. I feel that politics affect those of us that are disabled especially as our health, mentally and physically, is affected and often endangered by politics and we worry and need to vent. I understand that too. Course I should just shut my mouth because I avoid discussing politics like the plague as it affects my mental health into distress then I begin to feel ill so yeah, lol, it makes me sick.

Comment

Well, when I started the politics blog I was aware that it was an experiment that could easily fail. I knew too that if it had to be deleted, my other blog posts (about movies and books involving MS) here would probably be deleted as well. However, they were copied from Blogger or Wordpress blogs that I've maintained for many years and so those posts are still there on those blogs, and I don't think most people were aware of them here because people don't seem to look into the blogs here very often.

It was because I knew that that was how blogs are here--not much of a "readership" for them--that I hoped that a politics blog would be OK. It would be hidden away in a less conspicuous part of the BT system. And that did seem to be the way it worked.

But apparently it was still too pesky a thing, and politics is a very very pesky thing.

A very upsetting thing.

But I'd like to thank everyone who posted in the politics discussion. I think we can be proud of ourselves because we kept it civilized at all times. I had not one complaint about any of the posts there.
        Last edited by agate; 02-25-2020, 07:51 AM.
        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by David Hosobuchi View Post
          It's not actually "second thoughts", more of a "coming to senses" after "seeing the light". After careful examination of the Articles of Incorporation, when I officially accepted the duties of Director, and then President of BTC, Inc last November. I discovered that it is written into our bylaws, that we may not engage in any "activities" of a political or partisan nature.
          Our bylaws define us as an organization. They define what we are, how we operate, down to the fact that we are an online community for information and support for neurological disorders. They specifically say we can't engage in politics.

This is not just a question of the TOS. This is a question of violating our articles of incorporation. As the new president of the organization, I can't knowingly do this.
          I must end this. I am sorry.
          I must do it to preserve our community from possible closure. Willful violation of our bylaws would be serious.

BrainTalk Communities is all about support and information for neurological disorders for everyone.

We may be living in interesting times, though political discussion often divides people. We don't need division here. Especially now.
          Neurological disorders have no political views. Why should we in discussing them or giving support?

Yes, we will be making all political posts disappear from public view.

Thank you all in advance for your understanding and support.
          thanks for your explanation, david.

however, i don't understand.

first of all, i'd like to ask if you have incorporated BT as a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization?
          if that is not what BT is, exactly what are we?
          i think this is basic information that members of BT should know.

i can understand that the officers of BT (including you as president) and mike as treasurer and whomever you have appointed as officers (?) of this corporation or whomever have appointed themselves as an officer, would be the people who would have to refrain from political activities of a partisan nature, such as endorsing a candidate for president or any other political and partisan office in the usa.

i am operating under the belief that bt is registered as a 501 c 3 non-profit, so my comments pertain to that fact. if that is not what we are, then my post can't be answered. but, it would be nice to know what our designation is. my understanding (broadly), of non-profits is that officers can't participate in political or partisan activities. however, members aren't bound by that, as long as they are not speaking for the organization.

it would also be informative for you to cite the exact wording of the bylaws where activities of a "political and partisan" nature are forbidden. as president of this organization, i believe it is of utmost importance that transparency of what we are and what rules we are bound by be available to view. perhaps this could be written somewhere on bt, so that we could access it?

yes, neurological disorders have no political views, but neurological disorders, all falling under the general category of "healthcare", fall under the auspices of federal and state governments, and are thus political by nature.

for example, it's been written that individuals receiving social security disability payments (which include or have included many at BT at some point), are going to be subject to new rules for documenting their disabilities. would discussion of something like that, which is political and partisan, be forbidden in this forum?

i'm concerned about our constitutional rights to freedom of speech. neurological disorders also have no religion, yet religion is frequently mentioned or spoken of here at BT. religion also divides many people. why would religious speech not be banned?

was there an attorney present at this "careful consultation of the Articles of Incorporation"?

i also have great faith in BTC. we are not talking about banning people from different political parties. we are talking about the right to free speech. i believe people can hold differing opinions and still be civil to each other. oppression doesn't foster support.

if we are truly making a new start for a new day at BTC, we need the transparency of full disclosure and information available to us.

respectfully...
          Last edited by tic chick; 02-25-2020, 07:55 AM.
          WE ARE BT!
          "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
          "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
          "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

Comment

Thank you Agate for your thoughtfulness in allowing those few of us who wish to take part in this blog for as long as we did. There are those here who due to neurological disorders are pretty much cut off from a lot of outside activities and this blog has allowed us to say what we have no other outlet for. I am grateful to you for trying this experiment.

Tic Chic, thank you for trying to get clarification as to why this blog must be discontinued.
            Virginia

Comment

Tic Chick...

We have been a 501(c)(3) since 2004.

All our "Official" paperwork is public record. We are a Massachusetts organization, filed in this state. We have always had this kind of transparency. All of our documents are available for inspection by anyone. You must go to the government site to view them. I can't post "Official" government filings here on BT. We don't have the security for that kind of stuff..

About Free Speech.

BrainTalk Communities exists on the internet. We are privately owned and operated. When everyone joins, they agree to the User Agreement, and to abide by our Terms of Service as a "guideline" for behavior in our community. Though this is a Privately owned and operated site. In reality, this is like being on"Private Property".

For example, In your house, You can make anyone leave for any reason you choose. You can kick anyone out for saying anything you don't like. There isn't necessarily free speech in your house. That's not guaranteed by the Constitution.
              Example: Your house your rules. If I came over as a guest, I couldn't get away with yelling, and swearing in your face, and expecting not to be pushed out the front door....

BTC, Inc has no money for a lawyer. So no. we did not hire a legal team.
              It did not have the money for my plane ticket to Boston, or the plane ticket back to CA, or the plane ticket back to Boston. Or the hotels either. I am paying these out of my pocket to bring BTC, Inc back.

Perhaps I should just forget it all and decide to quit my efforts. I have already spent months away from my family in pursuing this..
              I obviously don't have your support, and you seem to feel you speak for everyone.
              Last edited by David Hosobuchi; 03-10-2020, 08:40 PM. Reason: spelling, grammar

” If Windmills do indeed cause cancer, wouldn’t spinning them backwards cure it?” 🤪

Comment

Thank you David for laying own the dilemmas.
                Your decision is a good one, and the points others made are also good.
                I for one am very glad you maintain this community. Being isolated due to illness is a terrible thing, and this board can be a lifeline, not to mention full of good med related information.

Comment

David, I think tic chick was just raising some legitimate questions that many might have and asking them in a respectful way.
                  This part of your message to tic chick is disturbing:

What are you doing for the community beside nit picking???

Perhaps I should just forget it all and decide to quit my efforts. I have already spent months away from my family in pursuing this..
                  I obviously don't have your support, and you seem to feel you speak for everyone.
                  I think it's wrong to conclude that you don't have tic chick's support. I interpret Jeannie's (tic chick's) post entirely differently. She took the time and went to the trouble of writing a carefully thought-out post requesting information. If you didn't have her support, she wouldn't have bothered. She would have just gone away and not come back.

Or she could have posted in a negative, disruptive, angry way. That would be lack of support. But she didn't.

I believe most people here are trying to be supportive of your efforts and understand that in a number of ways your hands are tied and you can do only so much. We also recognize that you yourself have a neurological disorder.

One thing seems pretty clear to me: people with chronic neurological disorders do best in a steady, quiet, predictable atmosphere. Maybe for your own sake it would be best if you did decide to give up on BrainTalk, maybe only temporarily, maybe permanently. I'm sure that other admins could be found--though of course it would be sad if you did make that decision. You've tried to be fair to us. Many board admins are not nearly as lenient as you have been.

What we don't need is for people at the helm to be insulting us. That's not what brings us here.
                  Last edited by agate; 02-25-2020, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by David Hosobuchi View Post
                    Tic Chic...

We have been a 501(c)(3) since 2004.

All our "Official" paperwork is public record. We are a Massachusetts organization, files in this state. We have always had this kind of transparency. All of our documents are available for inspection by anyone. You must go to the government site to view them. I can't post "Official" government filings here on BT. We don't have the security for that kind of stuff..

About Free Speech.

BrainTalk Communities exists on the internet. We are privately owned and operated. When everyone joins, they agree to the User Agreement, and to abide by our Terms of Service as a "guideline" for behavior in our community. Though this is a Privately owned and operated site. In reality, this is like being on"Private Property".

For example, In your house, You can make anyone leave for any reason you choose. You can kick anyone out for saying anything you don't like. There isn't necessarily free speech in your house. That's not guaranteed by the Constitution.
                    Example: Your house your rules. If I came over as a guest, I couldn't get away with yelling, and swearing in your face, and expecting not to be pushed out the front door....

BTC, Inc has no money for a lawyer. So no.
                    It did not have the money for my plane ticket to Boston, or the plane ticket back to CA, or the plane ticket back to Boston. Or the hotels. I am paying these out of my pocket to bring BTC, Inc back.

thank you for your clarification of what type of organization we are.

i certainly don't presume to speak for everyone. i recognize people can speak for themselves.

so, as i understand it, the fact that we can't have political discussions is entirely up to you, as president of BTC? if i'm misunderstanding that, i apologize.

all i'm asking for is clarification from the president of BTC on the new BTC. i have also been a member here from 1999, with 4000+ posts giving information and supporting my fellow community members. i also have almost 800 posts in this new version of BT. is this a personal attack on me for asking you for clarification?

i, personally, am happy that what you are doing is helping to keep this community going. it is a source of support and information for many people. as president, i would have hoped you would be open to answering any questions we had about the new BTC. i didn't know BTC was a 501 c 3. wanting information about BTC isn't nit picking.

i did not say that i don't support you. i support an open BTC, where members can ask questions and receive truthful answers. that is the essence of transparency, truth.

and as i said, i don't feel i speak for everyone and i wonder what gave you that impression. again, is this an attack for asking questions?

and i didn't receive an answer to the question,
                    for example, it's been written that individuals receiving social security disability payments (which include or have included many at BT at some point), are going to be subject to new rules for documenting their disabilities. would discussion of something like that, which is political and partisan, be forbidden in this forum?
                    again, there is a whole category devoted to SSD (social security disability). will that be discontinued?

i also have several neurological disorders. i have tourette syndrome. i have anxiety. i have depression, at times. i also have complax ptsd caused by childhood trauma, physical/emotional abuse. i am feeling particularly vulnerable at this time. i had to euthanize my dog of almost 18 years yesterday. this whole month has been the second anniversary of the hospitalization and death of my husband. i am dealing with the newly revealed decline in health and cognition of my 96 y/o father, a ww2 prisoner/survivor of german forces. complex ptsd has the effect of making me hypervigilant in my everyday life. i need to feel safe. i have always felt safe here with the support of all members i have interacted with for 20 years.
                    your reply to my post brings back some of those same feelings that i had during the emotional abuse of my childhood. i am sad because i expected more from the president of BTC, a neurological forum.
                    Last edited by tic chick; 02-25-2020, 10:50 AM.
                    WE ARE BT!
                    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
                    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
                    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

Comment

:) I do not agree that we need to have the info about the bylaws. Thank you Mike for all you do. Jeanie :)

Comment

Thank you Sunshine for your kind words. They instill confidence at a time when I am feeling little but frustration.

My sole efforts are not only to give us, myself included, the members of BrainTalk our community back, but to improve on what we had. (I think sometimes people forget that I might have the very same motives as everyone else here. I am really just a member like everyone else.) Everything I do, I do in the best interests of Our Nonprofit Organization, and the Community. I now have that fiduciary duty as an officer of the organization. I do take it seriously.

This is 2020. In the early 1990's, BrainTalk Communities was the first of its kind. One could make the claim that all medical patient communities out there are BrainTalk Copycats....
                        There also still has never been another nonprofit community that has matched the dynamics of BT at its peak.

BrainTalk was originally created in 1993-1994. It was created by gathering pre-existing individual neurological groups, and giving them a collective home; BrainTalk/BrainChat, at MGH Neurology.
                        Technology has come a long way since then. We were founded on the idea to be an evolving community.
                        My goal is to continue that.
                        I intend to rapidly improve upon what we had.
                        What if our community became a "hub" for neurological research, and/or connecting with other neurological, or medical communities???

What if BTC could heal the trauma caused from all those "mishaps" in the past, reaching out to all of the other "BT Spawned" Communities out there???

Any further arguments towards keeping political discussion alive here will be taken as a direct challenge of this Administrative Global Announcement of BrainTalk Communities Policy.
                        This could result in a permanent ban.

This is Our policy.

When I use these terms (We, Our, Us) I am speaking for all of us. We, are BrainTalk Communities. All of Us!! Everyone that is a member, or that will join. No one is left out.

No politics here on BrainTalk Communities. Period.
                        That's the way it must be.
                        Last edited by David Hosobuchi; 03-10-2020, 08:47 PM. Reason: Removed Emotional response from post.

Comment

David, you are not going to like your post when you re-read it tomorrow.

ANN
                          Last edited by stillstANNding; 02-25-2020, 02:51 PM. Reason: Changed “that” to “your”
                          There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Comment

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

((((((David)))))) ~

You have taken on a big responsibility as BT’s President, and I appreciate all of the effort you have put into rebuilding BT at your own expense.

I understand and agree to BT’s TOS.

While I was active in both the MS Forum’s “Politics” thread and agate’s blog, I respect your decision to remove them.

I would like to provide some background as to perhaps why some of us are reacting as we are.

The “Politics” thread started on Election Night 2016. It was allowed to remain and continue for 3 years, with nearly 300 posts. Periodically, we consulted with Mike and Moderators about tone and conduct, and we followed their rules.

We were accustomed to having the “Politics” thread to vent our concerns about what has been happening in our country, including social services issues, mass shootings, the Me Too movement, climate change, as well as the current administration.

Suddenly that thread was closed. After 3 years of open discussion, we were silenced. After 3 years of violating the TOS about politics, we were shut down.

It was my understanding, and probably the understanding of other participants in the “Politics” thread that agate obtained permission to post a Politics blog. The theory was that very few people ever visit or even know that the blogs exist. We were out of the way of the main forums. Have there been complaints about agate’s Politics blog by members or former members?

We have not been defiantly posting about politics. We sought permission, and we were given it for 3 years on the “Politics” thread and since last year (I don’t know the date) with agate’s blog.

I’m not advocating for a return of either the thread or the blog. I’m explaining the history of this issue.

While you want to grow BT and expand both its membership and outreach, please remember that if you ban us permanently, you will lose the core of BT.

Those who post regularly on any of the forums are the only ones, who keep it viable. They are the ones, who welcome, comfort, and guide new members. They are the ones, who support each other as friends of two decades. They are BT.

The MS Forum is the only truly active forum on BT. Take a look at agate’s post count, and ask other members about agate’s efforts to keep the forum active. There is love, caring, kindness, support in every post on the MS Forum. Without the MS Forum, there will be no BT.

The other semi-active forum is Child Neurology. Most of the posts are mine about my husband and children. We have a small tight knit group, with open arms for any parent, who joins us. But even when we invite them, they don’t show up, or they don’t continue to communicate with us. They get our advice and leave. That is with few exceptions.

The Emotional Support Forum is also semi-active. But there aren’t new posts there everyday.

You can’t build a community, if some of the existing residents are forced out.

Like any community, there have been differences of opinion and some conflict. People leave. They don’t return. They have found other resources.

Right now, BT has a core of loyal, faithful, kind, loving, caring members, who want what is best for our community.

While we haven’t contributed monetarily, we contribute every day here following the purpose of BT: communication and support.

We don’t need stress or conflict. You don’t need that either, David.

I pray that we can all come together and peacefully agree that we will discontinue discussing politics on BT. It isn’t worth the energy and stress for any of us.

We need to LOVE each other.

Love & Light,

Rose
                            Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Some of us have donated monetarily to BT. For one, we paid for the new Apple equipment John Lester bought after the flood.
                              There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Comment

Working...
                              X