Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: February Chitchat

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm back from this expedition, and truly it was an expedition. Going out to something social like this was almost daunting.

I had to be ready to be out of here by 9:30, and that in itself is always a challenge though I often have to do that for appointments. I was scheduled to arrive at their place by 11:30 but the paratransit system often has a very early pickup time.

The van came on the dot of 9:30, and then it made 3 other stops but I finally got there by about 11.

Today was my DIL's parents' day when they normally visit there as well. I didn't know that before I made arrangements or I'd have chosen another day. It was a bit of a crowd, and the downstairs residents were there too but I really enjoyed seeing the place again and watching little William tear around.

He's walking and talking more now. A great treat for me to be in on these big developments!

My DIL was busy in the kitchen decorating a cake as part of the bake shop she now has. She's moving it to its new location next Saturday, and so everything there was fairly exciting. The two downstairs housemates will be working at the bake shop, along with my DIL and one other woman whom I haven't met.

I was lucky enough to have a ride home with my son. It meant loading and unloading the wheelchair into the vehicle trunk but I practiced ahead of time and it went fairly fast.

I may do this again because it seems easier for them than bringing William here and chasing after him. He's in his own space there at home. Here in my apartment it's a little hard to put up blockades and hide things out of his reach. By now nothing is out of his reach!

While I was over there, I was busy just trying to hear what people said and see things I was meant to see and so I didn't trust myself to bring out the camera but others took photos. Maybe I'll be able to transfer them here.

The weather was absolutely perfect--sunny and in the 50s. On the way home he drove by the bake shop so I could get a better look at the exterior of it. We didn't go in because work was being done on it but it looked nice--low-keyed, understated, suitable for the residential area it's in, I think.

I have my doubts about this bake shop but it's what she wanted to do, and my son was willing to go along with it, and it's their life. I hope that the people she's baking things for are properly appreciative of her efforts. So far, they seem to be. And she's doing something she genuinely enjoys. She says she doesn't miss the IT job she had for the last 17 years.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Congratulations on a successful outing, Agate. It sounds like a good day. The next visit should be easier and your son would likely deal with the wheelchair. So great that you got to spend time w your grandson. And that there is going to be bakery in the family. :-)

Still it’s always nice to come home where you can get the most comfortable.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Good morning everyone. Another lazy Sunday. I've been up for a while, made one mug of coffee, took my pills, and been looking at You Tube which is my favorite place to be....besides here.

It's sunny, so I will make a store run tomorrow. Other than being cold, every day lately has been clear and sunny. Sam is sitting across my shoulders as I type. She proof reads everything for me.

Everyone have a great day!
    Evolution spans the Universe.

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stillstANNding View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Congratulations on a successful outing, Agate. It sounds like a good day. The next visit should be easier and your son would likely deal with the wheelchair. So great that you got to spend time w your grandson. And that there is going to be bakery in the family. :-)

Still itís always nice to come home where you can get the most comfortable.

ANN
    I realized that for the past 3 years or so, I haven't been out anywhere at all except to essential medical/dental appointments. I may have made one trip to the DMV in connection with my state ID card during that time but that was essential too--just not medical.

By "out" I mean going somewhere in a vehicle. I have of course strolled around outside the building with the rollator during that time.

So this trip was super-exciting for me. I woke up that morning almost afraid I couldn't manage it.

The ride was quite bumpy. It took an hour and a half to get to a place only 20 minutes away because there were other 2 other pickups and 1 dropoff. And the driver carelessly went over a curb. That happens now and again on rides and it's always quite a jolt.

But I made it there--earlier than they expected me, but I had warned them in advance that that might happen.

With this ride system, if you want to be somewhere at 11 AM, they'll give you a 9 AM pickup time quite often even if you're going only a short distance. I once asked them why, and it's so they can have room in the driver's schedule to insert other rides. Sometimes they will have done that, and sometimes it's a straight shot.

Getting a chance to ride around and see some of the city is interesting though. So many buildings, often with signs in other languages--Spanish, Oriental languages, Russian. And the trees were starting to bloom everywhere.

8. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Agate, sounds like a really good day all around for you. So glad you were able to do this. I seldom ride anywhere with anyone else which means I can't look around when I am behind the wheel.

Little William kind of sounds like he is not so little anymore. We might have to drop that little from his name. So glad he had time with you and you with him. It is important. I truly hope the bakery works out for your family. I guess your DIL has someone to keep William. She may be going to take him to work with her, but that doesn't seem like such a good idea.

Does the paratransit driver put your w/c on the van for you?
    Virginia

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

It was a pretty day today. I think it might have been about 62 to 63 degrees this afternoon and sunny. Still there is ice on my deck and I am talking about thick ice.

I met family tonight for dinner. I had salmon and poached pear salad. I left them and went to grocery store. I spent approximately an hour and 10 minutes in grocery. Then I made 3 trips bringing everything in. I have washed my face and I am going to rest up before going to bed. I am very tired. Looks like a quite day on the forum.

I hope Sunshine is alright.
    Virginia

12. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
    Agate, sounds like a really good day all around for you. So glad you were able to do this. I seldom ride anywhere with anyone else which means I can't look around when I am behind the wheel.

Little William kind of sounds like he is not so little anymore. We might have to drop that little from his name. So glad he had time with you and you with him. It is important. I truly hope the bakery works out for your family. I guess your DIL has someone to keep William. She may be going to take him to work with her, but that doesn't seem like such a good idea.

Does the paratransit driver put your w/c on the van for you?
    The paratransit van is lift-equiped. I ride up on the lift and get lowered on it when I'm at my destination.

The bakery is my DIL's idea, not so much a family project. All along my son has been taking William to his day care on his way to his job, and that will continue. No, William is definitely not going to the bakery with her. He has his own little toy cupcake tin with miniature cupcakes he can take in and out of it, and that will be the extent of his involvement. I don't know how she's managed to turn out these cakes with him right there much of the time but she has. I'm sure she'll be very relieved to have her own space for the baking.

There's been such a clamor for a photo (crowds are lining up outside and you can almost hear them shouting) that I latched onto one:

Attached Images Attached Images

14. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

Little William is adorable and you look so happy, Agate! Thanks for sharing.

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Great to “see” you again, Agate. And William is bigger than I imagined. An adorable boy.

Thanks for the picture.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by agate View Post
    The paratransit van is lift-equiped. I ride up on the lift and get lowered on it when I'm at my destination.

The bakery is my DIL's idea, not so much a family project. All along my son has been taking William to his day care on his way to his job, and that will continue. No, William is definitely not going to the bakery with her. He has his own little toy cupcake tin with miniature cupcakes he can take in and out of it, and that will be the extent of his involvement. I don't know how she's managed to turn out these cakes with him right there much of the time but she has. I'm sure she'll be very relieved to have her own space for the baking.

There's been such a clamor for a photo (crowds are lining up outside and you can almost hear them shouting) that I latched onto one:

Wonderful picture agate!
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 LastLast