Thread: I am reading lots of studies about MS being a disease of the metabolism...interesting

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default I am reading lots of studies about MS being a disease of the metabolism...interesting

So, if you google the question about whether MS is a metabolic disease you will find lots of NIH current articles.
    Here is a bit I Copied:

Multiple Sclerosis Is Not a Disease of the Immune System

Angelique P Corthals 1
    Affiliations expand
    PMID: 22384749 DOI: 10.1086/662453
    Abstract

Multiple sclerosis is a complex neurodegenerative disease, thought to arise through autoimmunity against antigens of the central nervous system. The autoimmunity hypothesis fails to explain why genetic and environmental risk factors linked to the disease in one population tend to be unimportant in other populations. Despite great advances in documenting the cell and molecular mechanisms underlying MS pathophysiology, the autoimmunity framework has also been unable to develop a comprehensive explanation of the etiology of the disease. I propose a new framework for understanding MS as a dysfunction of the metabolism of lipids.

Specifically, the homeostasis of lipid metabolism collapses during acute-phase inflammatory response triggered by a pathogen, trauma, or stress, starting a feedback loop of increased oxidative stress, inflammatory response, and proliferation of cytoxic foam cells that cross the blood brain barrier and both catabolize myelin and prevent remyelination. Understanding MS as a chronic metabolic disorder illuminates four aspects of disease onset and progression: 1) its pathophysiology; 2) genetic susceptibility; 3) environmental and pathogen triggers; and 4) the skewed sex ratio of patients. It also suggests new avenues for treatment.

Similar articles

Metabolic Dysfunction and Peroxisome Proliferator-Activated Receptors (PPAR) in Multiple Sclerosis
    V Ferret-Sena et al. Int J Mol Sci 19 (6). 2018. PMID 29865151. - Review

Multiple sclerosis (MS) is an inflammatory and neurodegenerative disease of the central nervous system (CNS) probably caused, in most cases, by the interaction of genetic

The Role of Gut Microbiome and Associated Metabolome in the Regulation of Neuroinflammation in Multiple Sclerosis and Its Implications in Attenuating Chronic Inflammation in Other Inflammatory and Autoimmune Disorders
    N Dopkins et al. Immunology 154 (2), 178-185. Jun 2018. PMID 29392733. - Review

The importance of the gut microbiome in the regulation of non-infectious diseases has earned unprecedented interest from biomedical researchers. Widespread use of next-ge

Lipids at the Cross-road of Autoimmunity in Multiple Sclerosis
    M Reale et al. Curr Med Chem 24 (2), 176-192. 2017. PMID 27881065. - Review

Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a chronic autoimmune disease that affects the central nervous system (CNS) characterized by demyelination and neurodegeneration, driven by a Th
    Molecular Genetic and Epigenetic Basis of Multiple Sclerosis
    Z Hojati. Adv Exp Med Biol 958, 65-90. 2017. PMID 28093709. - Review

Multiple Sclerosis (MS) is a chronic immune-mediated disease of spinal cord and brain. The initial event in MS occurs when activated CD4+ T cells in periphery
    Signaling Pathways and Therapeutic Perspectives Related to Environmental Factors Associated With Multiple Sclerosis
    S Tiwari et al. J Neurosci Res 96 (12), 1831-1846. Dec 2018. PMID 30204260. - Review

Multiple sclerosis (MS) is an immune-mediated demyelinating disorder of unknown etiology. Both genetic-susceptibility and environment exposures, including vitamin D defic

Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

I wonder if Swank was onto something? You recall his hypothesis, and then diet, was that lipids leaked out of the capillaries (?) in the CNS and that it caused inflammation and attack of normal CNS tissue: or something like that.

I became intrigued 20 years ago and went on a serious Swank Diet. Since then, I modified it to allow more saturate fat into the diet in the form of cheese, but still no beef, no pork, no butter, no other dairy based fats....

Maybe its a component of some varieties of MS?

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have been a vegetarian for 52 years so diet never seemed useful in stopping or helping my MS.

But the article I posted gave me areas to explore. I like that.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've been keeping an eye on MS research since 1980 and have noticed that years ago it was often stated that "MS may turn out to be an autoimmune disease," but nowadays it's pretty much accepted as an autoimmune disease. But this research you've cited is arguing against that idea. It will be interesting to see what develops.

Science keeps coming up with "great ideas" and then overturning them. You live long enough and you realize that what looks new and promising one moment gets debunked the next moment.

And time passes, and still people have MS changing their lives totally.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

What avenues will you explore Laz?

10. The following 3 users say "thanks"