Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: So, two months of coughing......

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default So, two months of coughing......

I have been sick with something since the beginning of November. I bet I have drunk 10 bottles of cough med (different kinds) and my tongue is raw from cough drops. Once I start coughing it goes on for an hour or more at a time) At times I have a very stuffed and sneeze and blow my nose for hours. I did start getting better after a few weeks and I always felt well.

Never had a fever and chest X-ray was normal. Could not hear anything with stethoscope. So it was strange. Slept or at least stayed in bed 10 hours a day but would get up and be able to do necessary things in greenhouse.

Finally I thought I was over it....then on Sunday night it came roaring back. Went to see the NP in my primary care doctor’s office. She was great. Asked a lot of questions, listened to my answers and took things seriously. She gave me some gel cap cough medicine pills that I take 3X a day for 7 days. My blood pressure was quite high and had been for weeks. AND she gave me that 7 day prednisone taper pack.

So, why the prednisone to stop a cough? In addition to the cough drop pills that are specific for people with HPB? Any ideas? (I will ask her next week)
    Last edited by Lazarus; 01-16-2020 at 03:56 PM.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

I am starting to answer my own Question!

Prednisone may be very effective in reducing airway inflammation, and related airway swelling, mucus production and breathlessness, but may be associated with side effects.“
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Isn't prednisone often used to treat asthma? Could you have asthma? I understand that you can have asthma and not necessarily have wheezing. There might be symptoms like yours instead.

I found this:

https://www.webmd.com/asthma/guide/prednisone-asthma#1
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

No asthma seen although she asked about wheezing (no)
    Since my blood pressure was high enough for my neurologist and oncologist to send messages to my primary care doc and get me a new cardiologist I think they wanted to exert immediate impact on my situation.
    Linda~~~~

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

My immunologist puts me on a short course of pred after these types of symptoms and history and it clears up the coughing after a bout of antibiotics doesnt do the trick.

You have HBP? Some meds for hbp cause this type of coughing

I would go see a pulmonologist if this keeps up

My sarcoidosis of the lungs, induced by recalled avonex was detected by CT Scan, not an X-ray. There were granulomas all over the lungs.

Dont know if Rituxan could cause this? I do know it can interfere with fighting infection?

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My immunologist puts me on a short course of pred after these types of symptoms and history and it clears up the coughing after a bout of antibiotics doesnt do the trick.

You have HBP? Some meds for hbp cause this type of coughing

I would go see a pulmonologist if this keeps up

My sarcoidosis of the lungs, induced by recalled avonex was detected by CT Scan, not an X-ray. There were granulomas all over the lungs.

Dont know if Rituxan could cause this? I do know it can interfere with fighting infection?
    Thank you so much for the detailed information, Sunshine. There are so many avenues....this is my second day on the meds so I have my fingers crossed. My neurologist made an appt with a cardiologist and I see the NP who gave me the meds next week again when the meds are done. I coughed all last night but during the day I have hours of quiet time. The prednisone is giving me energy so I have been busy.

Since the cough is accompanied by lots of mucus and sneezing I don’t think it is connected to BP meds as that gave me a dry cough when I developed a cough on one a long time ago. As it is, I am hoping for a better night tonight and hoping that the snow and ice we get tomorrow afternoon and night does not bury us.
    Linda~~~~

12. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Also, I should add, my asthma is only accompanied by wheezing when it gets really bad. Otherwise, it is a constant hacking cough.

The sarcoidosis, which is stable, creates a feeling of wet mucus in the lungs that moves when I cough, but rarely creates sputum up to the mouth.

Here is what I use for the asthma:
    Singulair, Allegra, Symbicort, Spiriva Respimat., Xopenex before exercise and also as needed 3-4 puffs every 4 hours when the asthma is out of contro.

Have you tried Xopenex? It has a generic. I would start with that for sure. They call it a “rescue inhaler”. The other inhalers keep the lungs stable wo you rarely need the rescue inhaler.

Pred in emergencies

14. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm all too familiar with all-night coughing and it's miserable.

Have you tried experimenting with pillows? If you sleep with a pillow under your head, have you tried another pillow so you're propped up more?
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

16. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by agate View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm all too familiar with all-night coughing and it's miserable.

Have you tried experimenting with pillows? If you sleep with a pillow under your head, have you tried another pillow so you're propped up more?
    Yup. I sleep almost sitting up against the bed. I stopped drinking coffee, milk products and drink tons of water. The Mayo site gives lots of detailed advice.

I stopped drinking cough medicine but continue to suck on hard candies. Things at the back of everyone’s mind relate to my moderately leaky heart valve or some appearance of a cancer. I never got antibiotics which did not seem called for but I should ask next Wednesday.

The prednisone has given me an appetite so that is bad but it has also given me energy so I am getting a lot of work done!

Have a great long weekend and remember MLK in your hearts and dreams.
    Linda~~~~

18. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Sorry I don't remember, and don't want to know his name, but the nut that shot MLK, was he executed, or given a life sentence, and is he dead now?
    Evolution spans the Universe.

20. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast