Thread: Booo Hoooo

Distinguished Community Member jingle's Avatar

Default Booo Hoooo

Lots of stuff happening
    Have to have some biopsy of my thyroid, but that isn't until the middle of Jan.
    Have to have a new toilet - that happens tomorrow afternoon
    Have to get a new hearing aid - that is as soon as I have time and $$
    This morning, because of cold weather, I had to put more air in my tires thank goodness I could take it to the local Toyota shop and they did that for me.
    My back is trying to wear me out so I have to get to the pain clinic as soon as they'll let me back in.
    There's just so many little things. And I'm so fortunate that things always work out.

2. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

That is a lot of things, Jingle.

Fingers crossed on the biopsy.
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

4. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member tic chick's Avatar

hey jingle!

whenever i see your name, i think of you baking cookies and i get hungry :)

so, i have 3 people i know who have had thryroid nodules (i assume that's why your doctor is doing a biopsy), with 3 different results and recommendations.

my girlfriend of 50+ years had a biopsy of a nodule, it was inconclusive. she has several thyroid nodules in her thyroid and i don't know why this doctor wanted to biopsy only one. i told her to get another opinion. so, she went to another doctor and he took an ultrasound of the nodules, said he wanted to watch them. she had thyroid scans for 2 years and the nodules remained the same. she now has a scan every year and nothing has happened.

my daughter went to a new primary care doc in 2014. she felt a nodule on my daughter's thyroid and referred her to an endocrinologist. he took a biopsy and sent it to this lab in california where these doctors had developed a system determining whether a nodule was malignant or benign. the test cost $3000 and it was inconclusive, but the report scared the crap out of my daughter because it described the type of tissue and cells in the nodule and said 40% of these nodules are cancer or might turn into cancer. the endo scheduled my daughter for removal of the nodule. during the operation, they removed a chunk of the nodule and biopsied it immediately. the pathologist said it was benign, but the surgeon said it was large and in a hard to reach part of her thyroid, so he removed half her thyroid because it was easier. she doesn't have to take meds because half a thyroid works just fine. i was so angry at this lab that couldn't tell whether the tumor was cancerous or not. personally, i think thyroid surgery is the latest surgery for docs to make money from because people are scared of nodules and cancer, so they have unnecessary surgery.

my sister-in-law had a thyroid so full of nodules, they couldn't see all of them in a scan. her doc just removed her entire thyroid and now she takes a thyroid supplement for life.

i think it's wise to do some research by yourself and have a list of questions for your doctor when you get the results of your biopsy. has your doc done an ultrasound and/or a scan?

isn't it a pain and worry when everything seems to be going to heck in a short period of time?

i hope this doesn't stop you from baking for the holidays or having a nice holiday season!

i do hope things continue to work out for you, jingle!

thank you for sharing ,
    jeannie
    WE ARE BT!
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

6. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Jeannie -- Thank you. I don't understand one but about this thyroid stuff. Ages ago my dr. said I had a tumor in my thyroid but that was very, very common and mine was benign. OK, fine. (Did you know many, many people have brain tumors? Isn't that shocking?!? My neurosurgeon told me that … he said most people have brain tumors that a perfectly benign and cause no problems. Such a tumor is never found until somebody hits their head or something and a CT or MRI is necessary.)

But recently I've been so sleepy, very sleepy -- sleeping too much and eating too much. So dr ordered at CT and said it's a big tumor but perfectly benign - then ordered an Ultra sound (?) thing -- said it was perfectly benign but wanted a biopsy because of my symptoms. That happens on Jan. 13.

I'm not scared or worried. I made it through a malignant brain tumor. lol lol I made it through a malignant marriage.

8. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member tic chick's Avatar

jingle,

do thyroid issues run in your family? if your mom or grandma or sisters or aunts have thyroid problems you should tell your doctor. in families where thyroid problems are common, hypothyroidism can be diagnosed with a tsh level at a lower point. my grandma, uncle, mom and i all have thyroid probs, mostly hypothyroidism. i told my kids that they should tell their doctors our family history of probs. 2 of my kids were diagnosed with hypothyroidism even though their tsh levels might have been considered normal. the third one was the one that had half her thyroid removed. being tired and eating too much could be a symptom of hypo and hyper thyroidism!

i'm glad the tumor is benign and i'm glad you're not worried. it's interesting the number of things that people can have in their bodies and cause no problems!

lol, i like that term, malignant marriage. you are a survivor!

WE ARE BT!
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

10. The following user says "thanks"

Not one thyroid problem in my entire family - at least not one I'm aware of. My sisters have heart problems - I don't. Well, I take Ziac for high blood pressure but that works fine.
    I'll have to look around the Internet and try to learn some more.
    I really appreciate your response

12. The following user says "thanks"