Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pull up for poop accident in Car ride to doctor?

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Default Pull up for poop accident in Car ride to doctor?

These meds can cause sudden very urgent need to Poop. Itís one reason I stay home. But I have a couple of very important doc appointments coming up, one this Friday I cannot miss, consequences might delay care weeks (its a new urologist) and make me look non compliant.

My sister asked if I have considered wearing a diaper for the car ride.

What do you know about this other than Google. I am guessing some with MS have dealt with this problem?

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

I haven't, but I think your sister has a good idea until you can see a doctor that can address this. Good luck!
    Evolution spans the Universe.

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

No experience here, but wondering about getting a pull up like Jeanie uses and for extra measure put a diaper in it.

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

I knew someone with issues going number 2. She brought a plastic container in the car rides with her along with toilet paper. She would "go" into the plastic container by putting it under her bum in the car, clean herself and dispose of the container. Very effective. Use a diaper as a backup.
    Last edited by funnylegs4; 08-26-2019 at 12:46 PM.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Every Saturday morning I get up at 3am and take one Imodium pill. Then I get up at 4 to get ready to go to work. At that time I take a second Imodium and oxybutinin and Ampyra. The Imodium has totally eliminated bowel problems for me while I am out for the next 10 hours.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

10. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

THese problems are medication caused. The muscle relaxant causes severe constipation. So I take meds that cause the bowel to empty, but unexpectedly. I can stop the med, but sometimes the action is caused outside the window of the prior one. And, if you stop the med, then it can take a week for it to work and cause explosive diahrrea until your body adapts once again. Its like a rubics cube problem.

The more I thought of the diaper, the more concerned I got about it causing a UTI if you get it on the urethra for even a minute or less.
    So, I am thinking that Funnylegsíidea could work.

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

This brings back bad memories.

14. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Sunshine))))))) ~

Try searching on line for a portable travel toilet. There are a variety of types and sizes. Whatever kind of container you use, I recommend putting a plastic trash bag inside of it to collect the waste. I'd also suggest using wipes (such as baby wipes) rather than toilet paper.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

16. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

One problem with wipes (baby wipes, for instance) is that they're not really flushable. Some of the package labels claim that they're flushable but with today's "low flow" toilets, they're not really.

I don't care how much toilet paper it takes or how many times I have to flush, but I use toilet paper--though in this situation I dampen it with warm water because it's much less irritating and seems to do the job faster.

Recently I discovered Balneol. It used to come in little single-use packets but more recently I've been able to find only bottles of it. It's a lotion you put on the toilet paper to help clean your behind without irritating your skin. It's very soothing. The packets would be handy to carry with you when you are away from home--and so I'm hoping that they are still available. I have quite a supply of them here but eventually I'll run out.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

agate ~

Good point that wipes are not flushable. I was suggesting them for use with a portable travel toilet, where the waste and wipes would be collected in a plastic bag. They would be more convenient, smaller to handle, easy to open and close (they usually come with some kind of closure) than a roll of toilet paper.

Sunshine ~

I've also been thinking about how easy or difficult it would be for you to transfer from a car seat to whatever kind of container you decide to use. I'm trying to picture the scenario, where you urgently need to go to the bathroom, while on the road. Pull over to the side of the road? Get out of the car or stay in the car? Is everything you need together in one place, so no searching for stuff involved?

Just from a caregiver's viewpoint, I'm thinking about what will be easiest and least stressful for you.

Adult diapers are now called "briefs." They fit like underpants. Based upon Jim's experience, they hold a lot of urine. How well they would do in holding feces is another question. The only thing I can think of to protect your urethra, while wearing a brief, is to slide a shield into the brief before you put it on.

You'll need lose clothing to accommodate some of that bulk and to make you more comfortable.

I hope you find a workable solution that is perfect for you. I suggest trial runs, before you actually need to use whatever you choose.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

20. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast