Thread: Gabapentin Cream , ointment or lotion compounded

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Default Gabapentin Cream , ointment or lotion compounded

So, I went to the GYN due to all kinds of pain, itching pressure sensations . Exam showed no signs of infection or yeast, although she did do a culture today. All tissues looked healthy on exam.
    This has happened about 4 or 5 times past 12 months, only once was there an infection.
    She thinks it might be neurological driven. So she rxd a compounded Gabapentin that you smear on every 8 hours. She said it will not interact with my other systemic meds: it stays in that area, which suggests to me that she is trying to settle down peripheral nerves.

I will try it and crossing fingers it helps and has no side effects.

She also so some pressure on bottom skin, despite Roho Cushion and good hygiene. She rec if canít stand,shift from side to side so that the same area isnít always getting pressure, spend time on my side lying down for same reason. She saw no sign of pressure sore. There is no pain affiliated with it.

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Sunshine, this is interesting. Will be waiting to see how it works. I hope that it does work and alleviates some of your discomfort.
    Virginia

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

How and when we put pressure on parts of our body really seems to matter when something neurological is going on. Putting pressure on any one part for too long can cause big trouble, and "too long" often isn't so very long.

If we're vertical for too long, it's a good idea to get horizontal for a while if we can. And vice versa. When I take a nap in the middle of every day, it's a huge relief to be positioned differently for a while, redistributing the weight. It restores me.

Signs of pressure can show up and you might not find them but a medical professional can. They know what to look for.

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Such a good Gyn to know about Gabapentin cream, Sunshine.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

8. The following 4 users say "thanks"

She is a very caring person and has taking a liking to me as a patient because she is also a surfer and also lived where I had lived.

I tried the cream last night immediately the moist skin begin to burn and turn bright red I tried to endure it for 15 or 20 minutes hoping the gabapentin would penetrate. Then, I went in the shower and washed it off with soap and water and covered the skin with Betamethasone Valera, A steroid like prescription ointment.

The pain tamped down immediately from the cream. Then, lo and behold the neuropathy disappeared. Curiously, it has not shown its face since then and this is 18 hours later. It is a creamy reply every eight hours

I found myself wondering if Virginia would benefit from a compounded gabapentin cream for the shingles ...

I called the pharmacy and she said it sounds like I had a reaction to the base, not the gabapentin, which was also my assessment. When the compounding pharmacist comes in on Monday she will talk to her and see if they can come up with another strategy. That would be great.

Today I took an Ativan for some relief. My legs are barely Steph, although I healthy person might be a bit concerned. I am walking unassisted without prior problem but I keep my walker with me just in case. I stood while cooking. Needing to put weight back on I decided to make spaghetti with garlic and tomato sauce and cheese. I had some in the house for hurricane supplies. Normally I don’t not eat pasta or bread. But I desperately need the calories. I ate a bunch of it successfully with no nausea. I am on Zofran and Ativan. I am expecting that Nati to go with tomorrow when the Flomax is completely out of my system.

I tried to gain weight yesterday. I did not lose weight but I did not gain any either. Perhaps a pizza would be a good idea although I already planned to make a most excellent fish encrusted with walnuts and a side beautiful salad. It’s much tastier and more nutritious, but I need the carbs and that weight that pizza has.

10. The following 3 users say "thanks"

I hear you, Sunshine, about needing to eat for calories. I’m sorry that you are in that situation.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

12. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Sunshine thanks for thinking of me as far. As the cream goes. Doubt it would work as itching is all around eye. I would be afraid to try.

14. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sunshine thanks for thinking of me as far. As the cream goes. Doubt it would work as itching is all around eye. I would be afraid to try.
    Worth asking about. There may be a type that is formulated so as to not harm eye if stray amount gets there? Or try it on a very small patch of the burning area first? Or is it on the eyeball, not th skin around the eye socket?

16. The following 2 users say "thanks"

All over the forehead and all around the left eye. Sometimes I scratch into the eye.
    With eye problems already I would be very concerned.

18. The following user says "thanks"

Use it on forehead?

20. The following user says "thanks"