Jim's Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

((((((Donna))))))* ~

In light of the pandemic chaos, this is good news. In "normal" times, your brother in law wouldn't have to wait. These, of course, are not normal times. Will he be at home, while he waits for surgery? Is he able to be with his family?

It must be so frustrating for you to be in isolation and unable to help or just be present for your sister and family. Even though you can't be together, I am sure that your love for each other is shining through the COVID cloud.

If you could have the goggles, gown, and mask that Nancy has, you could be there. I wondered whether any of our neighbors saw her walking up to our front door from the street. I could imagine someone being afraid that Jim or I have COVID-19 as a reason for her attire.

What a fantastic poem! Thank you for posting it. It speaks to all of our health care workers now, all of the delivery people, everyone, who is working to help us through this horrible crisis. They are carrying our water, sometimes in their bare hands without a pail.

The medical systems and care in every country contending with COVID-19 are in upheaval. South Korea and Iceland seem to have had a good handle on it, responding quickly. The countries, who didn't respond quickly, are the ones seeing the increases in COVID cases.

A giant mistake, in my opinion, occurred early on, when the CDC declared that masks weren't necessary, unless you are infected. Nancy, Jim and I discussed the absurdity of that at the time. Turns out we were right.

Why do I make everyone, who enters our home wear a mask, gown and gloves? Why do Jim and I wear masks, whenever we are in any kind of medical setting?

Because most viruses behave the same way. You feel fine in the morning, and that night you have a fever or other symptoms. Anyone, who has ever had any kind of flu or a cold knows that it comes on out of nowhere.

I don't know how many times our friends have said to us, "I feel fine. I don't have anything."

My answer is always, "You don't know whether you do. You don't now, and that's great. But tomorrow morning, you might wake up with a sore throat, or diarrhea, or the flu."

After a friend flew in to stay with us during Christmas in the late 90s, she got the flu on her last day. Jim drove her to the airport. He came down with the flu. She was fine during her visit. Three days later, sick, feverish.

That's when we established a rule of no visitors, who've been on an airplane, unless they've been here for a week, before they see us. Planes are germ factories. So are cruise ships. Last year, a dear friend wanted to visit. She had just returned from a cruise. We said we'd have to wait, just in case. Well, she got really sick. That's what happens when a bunch of people are crammed into close quarters for long periods.

It's not rocket science. I figured this out a long time ago. So, I can't understand why the CDC didn't tell all of us to wear masks at the first notion of an outbreak of this pandemic. It's common sense, for crying out loud. If someone, even a healthy person, coughs or sneezes on you, you're protected from the droplets and anything air borne from that event.

The EMTs and some nurses have asked Jim and me about our masks, "Are those to protect you from us, or us from you?" And that was before COVID-19.

We always answer, "Us from You. No offense."

I used to wear a mask and gloves at the door greeting Instacart shoppers, thanking them profusely for their help. I always explained that "I have vulnerable family members, and I can't risk catching anything from anyone. No offense." None ever taken. They can see that I'm old, and we are organic vegetarians (until tomorrow's chicken arrives). Many of the shoppers were former Respiratory Therapists, surprisingly. They just had to leave the field from the stress. At least one of them remembered Jon and Michael.

So, as we try to cope with this pandemic, I have to curb my anger about the poor information we have received, particularly about something as simple as face masks for everyone. Or any kind of face cover over your nose and mouth, like a scarf, which I suggested to Virginia, before it was suggested in a recent press conference. And wear glasses, wear your sunglasses, if they're the only kind you have. Protect your eyes too.

Gloves. Any kind of gloves. For everything you touch, which others have touched. We should wash our hands before we put on gloves and after we remove them. But the danger of exposure is far less, if we are wearing disposable gloves.

I learned all of this from countless ICU experiences with Jonathan and Michael. Before you enter the room, wash your hands, get a gown out of the bin in the hallway in front of the room, grab some gloves, and a mask. Remove gown, mask, gloves, wash your hands, before leaving the room. Stand in the hallway, 6 feet away, wave goodbye and blow kisses and "I love yous."

Now, the COVID-19 patients in ICU or any hospital unit cannot have visitors. Their loved ones are prevented from seeing them or saying goodbye to them, before they pass. Nancy told us that no visitors are allowed in our hospital now, which means that if Jim needed to go to the hospital for any reason, I could not accompany him.

I can't even conceive of how unbearable that would be for both of us. Please pray with us that we never have to endure that tragedy. Thank you all.

This didn't have to happen. If China had listened to the doctor, who alerted the world to this virus, instead of punishing him, and then he died of COVID-19, perhaps this pandemic could have been contained. And if every country in the world, with intelligence networks, who were alerted to this potential pandemic had acted with the urgency it required, we wouldn't be here now.

But, here we are.

Like the levees in New Orleans during Katrina, the damage is done.

All we can do is listen to the experts and pray that we hear the truth. (I'm looking at you CDC.)

Please, everyone, we love you dearly. Protect yourselves and your loved ones. Stay home, as aggravating as that might become. Clean everything delivered to your door. Throw out the cardboard boxes and plastic, as they can continue to hold the virus for a day or more.

Off soap box ...

JIM UPDATE

Coughing all night and the majority of today. He took Ceftin/Keflex this morning with applesauce, followed by an egg and frozen organic french fries. No nausea so far. Even with coughing.

Stepped up the breathing treatments to every 4 hours. Cough syrup, which helped him to sleep for about 2 hours.

Too weak to pull himself up in the bed, so I unlocked the brakes, pulled the bed away from the wall so I could get behind it, and used the bottom sheet to pull Jim up in the bed.

As the poem says, Donna, we do what we have to do.

Our prayers are on the way for your brother in law, sister and all of your beautiful family. Stay strong and keep the faith. I know you will.

Love and healing prayers to all, and thank you for your prayers, love and support of our family.

Every day is a new beginning ~

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Thank you so much for your prayers and your wisdom, Rose! I am sorry that Jim has been coughing - 2 hours sleep is hardly enough, but we are all thankful for small mercies. I talked to my brother in law yesterday over the phone and he was in good spirits, cracking jokes even about brain tumours. I sent a package of soaps and candles from a lovely farm shop to my sister's house and they wiped everything and will enjoy them to help relax. It feels like the least I can do. Nicholas' helper sent us this link (they're watching this and others today) and I thought Jim might enjoy it - it's a virtual reality tour of London! Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register.... Enjoy and hope today is a good day, given the givens. Lots of love, Donna xoxo
      Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
      Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

Comment

:) I enjoyed that tour. Thanks Donna. Jeanie :)

Comment

A Day In The Life ...

((((((Hugs to All))))))* ~

Donna ~

I'm so happy that you had a chance to chat with your brother in law and that he has a positive attitude. Just the thought of brain surgery is scary to anyone, so my prayers are really stepped up for him and all of you. The waiting can also induce anxiety. I hope that continuing contact will be possible for all of you, from a distance, to help you cope through this situation.

You are such a wonderful gift giver! I know your sister loves the soap and candles. Very thoughtful, soothing, and comforting gift.

Thank you for the video tour of London. Like Jeanie, I really enjoyed it, having never been there. Jim hasn't seen it yet, as we've been busy with other things. But I told him about it, and he will watch it on the iPad eventually.

I watched the Queen address the nation on a YouTube video. She was compassionate and caring, and she praised the people for staying inside and all of the health care workers on the front line. I had tears. Here is the video:

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

Boris Johnson is hospitalized with COVID-19. It's hitting Britain pretty hard. The Brits are stoic and will keep a stiff upper lip through it all.

More videos:

James Corden airs a demonstration of the domino effect of COVID-19 with and without social isolation:

Dr. Jeff VanWingen, who showed us how to sanitize our groceries, now shows us how to safely handle delivered packages, food, and mail:

All of the late night talk show hosts are doing their shows from their homes 5 days a week. They have guests remotely. They introduce their homes and family to us. Jimmy Fallon and his wife, Nancy, take walks around their neighborhood in East Hampton. The mansions in the background are breathtaking.

And everyone of them asks their guests to name a charity and explain the work it does. Fundraising through late night talk show hosts during a pandemic using technology and the internet. This is 2020. The future has arrived.

There is plenty of humor, plenty of seriousness, plenty of celebrities without make up or fancy outfits sitting in their homes isolating like all of us. Their gift is to entertain us during this crisis. I highly recommend checking out all of them on YouTube. There is a plethora of entertainment there from about March 30th to now.

While Jim slept, I watched Keith Urban with his wife Nicole Kidman perform from their home studio and his warehouse. If you like Keith, he's just like your neighbor on these videos, bringing love and music to your life. He has a new album and one of his new songs, "When God Whispered Your Name," is definitely a chart topper.

Jon Bon Jovi, who has 3 restaurants to help curb hunger, called Soul Kitchen, wrote a new song for this crisis, "If you can't do what you do, do what you can." Then he asked people to send him a verse, and he is playing their verses back to them on video.

Famous people doing caring things to help all of us endure the pandemic. We need their art, their humor, their off the stage realness.

SLEEP FEST

He is sleeping quite a bit, but we're very busy, when he's awake.

Last night the sleep hit the fan for both of us. I nodded off around 8:30 on Jon's chairbed, while we were watching an old movie. Jim followed shortly thereafter. We both semi-woke at the same time and mumbled something to each other. At one point, I thought Jim was awake, so I asked if he was hungry. He was sound asleep.

I woke up at 1:00 a.m.! Jim was still sleeping. I stayed up until 2 a.m., and he was still sleeping. So, I went to bed on the futon nest. We have the phone, so he can page me when he wakes.

This morning, he told me that he did wake up for a short period, saw I was gone, and tried to scoot over in the bed, consequently tweaking his back causing pain. I applied Aspercreme when he told me this and asked him not to try to do that again without my assistance.

The first thing Jim said to me was, "I went somewhere last night, didn't I?"

"No, honey. You've been right here all night. If you went somewhere, I would have gone with you. You must have been dreaming."

And, I had a terrifying, detailed dream on the futon nest, where Jim and I were in some kind of ward or unit. I was only wearing a towel, my clothes, purse, phone were gone. As I frantically tried to track them down, I was met with one obstacle after another. When I returned to the room, Jim was gone. Then I ran around asking people, "What happened to my husband?" I was taking elevators, running upstairs, downstairs, in search of Jim and my clothes. I ran outside, but I couldn't find the parking lot, where someone had told me they'd meet me and give me a ride home. When I got there, they were driving away, ignoring me.

So, maybe Jim and I did go somewhere last night during our sleep fest.

GETTING ON WITH THE DAY

First thing, I pulled up Jim in the bed using his bottom sheet, because he hurt his back and doesn't have the strength to do it on his own. It was a bit more difficult today than yesterday, but we got him up there.

We are expecting a BM any minute now, because he keeps feeling the urge, but doesn't produce.

Our Sunday Breakfast: Pancakes! Yay! He had a good sized pancake with a raisin smiley face, mixed berry applesauce, and a bit of organic maple syrup.

I was able to assist him moving sideways on the bed by lifting one side of his underpad as he lifts his hips. This gives his hips some support and worked today. I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner.

He took his Ceftin/Keflex after the pancakes. So far, he's tolerating it pretty well. We're on day two of one tablet a day, instead of two. No blood in his urine, no pain when he pees. Color and output is good.

Instacart

Expecting a delivery by this evening for a week since I placed the order, I was surprised and pleased to see that one of my previous shoppers was assigned to my order and delivered it by 1:30 this afternoon. She got everything she could in the amounts I requested, and even added maple syrup to my order via our messaging.

I was very surprised at the availability of my items. But then, this is a healthy small chain, which attracts vegans, vegetarians, and folks, who like organic foods. They don't carry toilet paper. But they have every kind of vitamin, and over the counter healthy remedy you can imagine. Small store, with a friendly, helpful staff.

She left the bags in front of our door on our porch. I was in the middle of tending to Jim, so they had to wait out there for a few minutes. Jim was afraid they'd get stolen.

I could tell by the number of bags that they were heavy, even though I asked her to ask them to make them light for me. They were heavy and I hauled them into the kitchen, set them on the floor, one bag at a time.

I used Lysol wipes on the groceries, because I can't find isopropyl alcohol anywhere. As I wiped, I ran back and forth from the kitchen to Jim to showcase the groceries just for him.

Oatmilk yogurt, to which I will add frozen mango, pineapple and blueberries. A probiotic non dairy, and he loves the taste of oatmilk.

CHICKEN! Sliced breasts in deli packs, which I will warm up and add veggie gravy. Or put in a sandwich. We will begin with a very small portion to see if his digestive system can tolerate it. If not, John and his family will have 3 different kinds of deli roasted chicken breast packages.

The Veggie Meat Jim Likes: Tofurkey smoked ham deli; Yves hot dogs.

Cream cheese. Jim saw a commercial for cream cheese and asked me whether I like it. In 28 years, we have NEVER had cream cheese in our home, because I don't like it, and he's never asked for it. But he got some today. Again, I warned him that this is dairy, and dairy congests him. He tried to rationalize it. But if he has a small amount, and he gets clogged, well, John and family will get this too.

Peas and Carrots ~ because as a Brit, this is vegetables on the side. It's the staple side veggies at our local British pub.

Unsalted kettle potato chips, pita chips, and tortilla chips. He can have a few chips with his sandwiches. Pita chips with hummus.

Organic cranberry and blueberry juice, organic pure cranberry juice (for UTI, per Nancy's suggestion), applesauce with peaches, applesauce with apricots, applesauce with cinnamon.

And yes, I carried all of this to Jim, before I put it away. One batch at a time.

Fresh Beets ~ Jim loves beets, and beets are quite nutritious. Our shopper found a stunning bunch of beets with greens attached. We don't eat the greens, but it's nice to see beets in their true form.

I am so grateful to Theresa, who shopped for us today, and I made sure I thanked her continuously as she shopped. She knows me, so she knows our situation, and she wanted to do all that she could for us today. God Bless Theresa and keep her safe.

While we're okay with toilet paper, because Jim doesn't use it any longer, I can't find kleenex anywhere. I ordered two boxes of travel packages of Kleenex on Amazon. Opened the package in the garage, wiped down the boxes with Lysol wipes, left them to air out in the garage.

I also ordered and received from Amazon today 600 filters for my Mr. Coffee. That should last me through the pandemic! I drink decaf, and that's almost 2 years of one pot a day. Also ball point pens. We have a box, probably 10 or more years old of pens, but they've all dried out. Now, we have 60 pens in a box, which will do the same thing over time.

Did the same thing with those items, cleaning with Lysol wipe, wearing gloves, tossing the boxes immediately.

Warding off COVID-19 is exhausting, but it is so necessary. I showed Jim all of the food we received today, but I didn't let him touch them. I was wearing gloves and had a Lysol wipe in my hand.

Jim is still sleeping, so we'll see what he wants for dinner, when he wakes up. I'm sure I'll be pulling him up in the bed again a few more times before the night is over or dawn breaks.

We love you all, pray for you to be safe and healthy, and ask God to watch over all of his children on Planet Earth.

Send prayers around the world!

Love & Light,

Rose

Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Lean On Me

We are on BM Watch. I can't count the number of times today, when Jim has said he was having a BM, only to be disappointed. I have to remove his sheet, 3 blankets, his heating pad, and the sheet over his feet to access him. Then after the false alarm, I carry it all back over to the bed from the chairbed to put on him again.

I had to pull him up in the bed with the bottom sheet twice. The second time it was only to get him a smidgen further, after he had pushed himself up using his arms.

He's been sleeping on and off all day, because he's awake all night. He's only eaten some apple/peach sauce to take his Keflex. After all of that commotion about chicken, he hasn't mentioned it once! Now, he's constipated, so he isn't hungry and wants to get rid of this waste to make room for food.

He just had another round of MOM, which we hope will get him moving.

INSTACART

I placed an order this morning with a different store, thinking it would be another week, before delivery. To my surprise, I received the option of Today within 5 hours!

Giving it the old college try, I ordered kleenex, toilet paper, and napkins. All out of stock.

The shopper actually started an hour after I placed my order and was here about noon! Also a surprise. She was able to get many of the grocery items I ordered, which was great.

She left the bags on the front porch, but she tarried awhile. I went upstairs to check the order on the computer, and she had messaged me. I ordered some beer to give to John, when he visits next time to pick up some cases of water. She needed my ID.

So, I donned my biomask, gloves and walked out to her car at the end of our driveway. I stood in the middle of the driveway, at least 6 ft away from her car. I told her that I thought Instacart had changed the policy on requiring signatures for alcohol delivery. She said, "It changes every day. But I can't put your order through on my app, without your ID. If you could hold up the back of your ID for the bar code, then I'll take a picture of it with my phone from the window. And I'm putting on my mask right now."

I moved slightly closer, and she got the picture. Then I moved back to the middle of the driveway.

She said that the store will have the paper goods in stock tomorrow morning at 7 a.m. She lives near us and said that she'd be glad to pick up everything I need and bring it to me. "You can just pay me directly for the items. No tip needed."

She had left her card in my bags. She told me that she has worked in hospice, had a massage therapy business, which she had to end due to the virus, so she started working for Instacart. "I have to help people, as well as provide for my family. And I know it's hard for everyone right now, but especially for folks, who are seniors or are ill."

I told her that Jim has cancer, and I'm his careprovider. "That's why I look like this." I haven't brushed my hair for a couple of days, and I have to wear it in a ponytail, because it is so long. No make up. T shirt, baggy crops, because I haven't had a chance to wash my clothes in over a week. Showers are intermittent, only when I can't stand it any longer, because the upstairs shower head is leaking incessantly. As is the toilet, which I no longer use. You could pack the bags under my eyes and take a trip around the world. Yeah. Pretty unkempt and pathetic, eh?

She began crying, still wearing her mask. "I'm so sorry. You're going through such a hard time. I know. I'll be happy to help you with your grocery needs. Just let me know." She was really crying.

I told her to be safe, as I thanked her for her kindness and for her service to all of us, who need groceries and other items. I assured her that I do have several people, who help us.

Unfortunately, we never know who we can trust these days. She sees our neighborhood, and she might see targets to take advantage. However, the vibe she gave me was sincere. She isn't the first shopper, who has cried after chatting with me at the door (mask and gloves on before the virus). But, I won't call her. I will ask John, who is out in the stores everyday, when we actually need to have these paper supplies.

Up to the minute, that is us. We just keep keepin' on.

I will leave you with this ~

In loving memory of the great Bill Withers, who passed at the age of 81 a couple of days ago, his iconic song of agape love, "Lean On Me":

We all need somebody to lean on.

Sending prayers to all to be safe, healthy, and as stress-free as possible in these unprecedented times.

Jim and I love you and pray for you and your loved ones, and for everyone around the world.

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

Love, Mercy, Peace

About 10 minutes after I crawled into bed at midnight, Jim called to me, "Rose? Are you in bed?"

Well, yes, of course.

"I'm having a bowel movement!"

Finally, success!

Jim felt immediate relief. I rearranged him in the bed, returned his blankets, and he fell asleep for a few hours, as did I.

With that out of the way, he was able to eat this afternoon. A chicken sandwich, with vegenaise, butter lettuce, and sliced English cucumber. Unsalted Kettle chips. So far, no intestinal distress from the chicken, but it's only been a couple of hours. He's back to sleep again.

BUSY, BUSY, BUSY

I managed to put my clothes in the washer and dryer, so I'll have something fresh to wear tomorrow. Still no shower. The plumbing problem is weighing heavily on me. I haven't had the time or energy to clean out Jon's closet. Jim sleeps on and off all day and evening, and when he's awake, I am taking care of him, fetching things for him, trying to do housework, etc.

Jim tends to ask me to do things for him, while I'm doing something else for him. I'll bring him something, and then he'll say, "Oh, and could you bring me xyz?" So back to kitchen to get xyz. He never drinks his tea or coffee. Then it gets cold. I rewarm it. Then he falls asleep, and it gets cold. I make a new cup. All day and night, every day and night. I'm glad we have a relatively small house.

This afternoon, the rain stopped long enough for me to put the piles of trash bags sitting in the garage in the outside bins. Then, I started my laundry. When I walked back into the house, I heard the pager upstairs beeping. I had just told Jim that I was going to take care of the garbage and do laundry.

When I went into his room, I told him I was outside. "Oh, that's right. Sorry honey."

I'm constantly bringing in bottles of water from the garage, taking out trash, cleaning up the kitchen, running the dishwasher, emptying the dishwasher. You'd think we had a family the size of the Waltons! How can two people make so much trash? Well, Jim uses kleenex, wipes, pads, etc. Sadly, I've also had to throw out a lot of perishable food, with Jim not eating for so long.

So, I'm pretty tired, as you can probably imagine.

With the COVID-19 surge being predicted, this is no time to have anyone come in our home to help me do anything, including plumbing. It sure would relieve a bunch of stress for me to have the plumbing repairs done. But the feasibility of doing it is not there. Jim sleeps all day/evening, awake all night. When are we going to have them come in to work for 3 or more hours? And when will I have the window to clean out Jon's closet? Where will I put everything in there? The garage is chock full. It is driving me bonkers.

WOUND CARE

Today, I also changed Jim's wound pad. An ordeal to get him to roll over, so that I could access his coccyx. He thought he could lay crooked on his side a bit and lift up his bum. He tried to take the pad off himself! "NO! You'll disturb the site!" I said loudly in frustration.

I had to remind him how we did Jonathan's wound care. "You are just like Jonathan now. You have to be in the right position for me to treat your wound. Now let's get you in that position."

He can be stubborn sometimes.

At last, I was able to clean the wound, apply the powder and calmoseptine and Optifoam. I'm sure that it will help with the itching Jim has been having there. The wound looks good and is healing.

THE MARSH FAMILY IN THE U.K.

Jimmy Kimmel interviewed the Marsh family in England yesterday. The Marsh family made a video, which went viral overnight, of a parody of "Les Miserables."

After Jimmy interviewed them they did another parody performance of another Les Mis song.

The Marsh Family on Jimmy Kimmel Live

“One Day More” from Les Miserables

LADY GAGA AND WHO/GLOBAL CITIZEN CONCERT APRIL 18

Also Lady Gaga has appeared on Jimmy Fallon, Stephen Colbert, and Jimmy Kimmel over the last couple of days announcing a WHO/Global Citizen sponsored/supported worldwide concert to be aired on CBS, NBC, ABC on online on April 18. No time has been stipulated yet.

Lady Gaga has tapped the CEOs of IBM, Apple, and other corporations for donations to fight COVID-19 worldwide. More than $35 million has been raised so far. She says it isn't a fundraiser concert. No one has to contribute. We just sit back and enjoy the entertainment and come together as one.

The guest list includes Elton John, Sir Paul McCartney, Stevie Wonder, John Legend, Keith Urban, and many more artists, who will perform remotely from their homes.

Many celebrities and show hosts are doing remote shows from their homes or studios/offices. Lady Gaga has taken it a step further by bringing artists together for a spectacular concert. And she isn't asking us to donate. She's going after the guys with all the bucks. And that money will be used to help feed and support people in need during the pandemic and beyond.

It is something for us to look forward to, while we live on the edge of dread and fear. The message will be unity, hope and love for one another.

I'll be watching as much as possible. I'm sure it will be on YouTube in segments, after it airs on network TV.

THE COST OF RADIATION

We just received another Medicare breakdown notice about the costs and payments made for Jim's radiation last October-November.

Are you sitting down? Of course you are. Well, hold onto your chair.

$219,000.

For 15 radiation treatments lasting about 20 minutes each.

That doesn't include previous charges on notices we've received. I'm estimating the total is close to $250,000.

Of course, Medicare paid a paltry amount compared to the amount charged for services.

Without Medicare, Jim would be dead, and I would be homeless.

Also, Medicare denied payment for Jim's ambulance transport for the blood transfusion and for his gut drainage. That's about $2,000 for each one.

In my spare time, I want to call Medicare and say this:

"In case you haven't noticed, my husband is a Stage IV lung cancer patient. That should be obvious when you look at the payments you have been making for his care over the past 3 1/2 years. It shouldn't surprise you that he's weak and nonambulatory now. Therefore, when he has to go to the hospital for any kind of physician-ordered procedure, he has to travel via ambulance.

When Jim's oncologist orders a blood transfusion immediately, or a paracentesis to remove 17 lbs of fluid in his gut immediately, am I supposed to call Medicare and ask if you'll pay for ambulance transport for him to have these vitally needed procedures?

Every single charge to Medicare for Jim is because he has Stage IV lung cancer, which he has been battling bravely and valiantly. But you draw the line on an ambulance transport to allow him to access the care he needs to keep fighting? Well, shame on you.

Because if I need to call that fantastic ambulance service again for Jim, and they won't come for him, unless I pay them for these two transports you denied, it will cost more than money. It will cost precious time, of which we have little left.

Shame on you again."

Our health care system is broken. During a pandemic, that is a tragedy.

Stay home. Stay well. Keep praying, and sending love around the world.

We love you and pray for you and all of your loved ones every day. We pray for all of the health care providers, the delivery persons, the grocery and pharmacy workers, the people working to make ventilators, masks, gowns, and all the PPEs our heroes need during this crisis. Yes, they are heroes. And they need our support and our prayers.

Love and Mercy, Peace on Earth ~

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

Rose, if your Medical Emergency Unit has the program there, it might be wise for you to think about joining. I can pay $65.00 per year and everyone in my whole household can use it as often as they need to.

Agate, said they had it in Oregon and she thought it cost $55.00 per year.
                Virginia

Comment

Hi Rose,
                  Wow, what a life you are living with Jim! It is extreme, that is for sure. Looking after each other - Rose, you are a CARE hero. What strange times we are all living through. Yesterday morning we heard from Nick's full time helper that she was in a covid testing site for her husband who had symptoms. Luckily today, we heard that he tested negative. Wow, we are living in stressful times.
                  We love you guys - thinking of you and praying all the time (we figure that Easter prayers are like the Daily Double on Jeopardy! ) xoxox Donna
                  Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!

Comment

$219,000 WOW. That's not right.
                    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
                    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

Comment

Yhank You!

Virginia ~

We pay $75/year for paramedic coverage and have for decades. Of course, we've had paramedics here countless times for our boys. The fee covers the cost of paramedics with our fire department. They bring a private ambulance for transport, which charges Medicare.

We don't need paramedics/fire department for Jim's ambulance transport to/from his blood transfusion or his gut drainage. Those are not an emergency. I call the ambulance service directly and ask for transport. Medicare denied it, because we didn't have authorization. I don't know what that means and should find out by calling them.

Thank you for your suggestion and please know that Jim and I are thinking of and praying for you.

Donna ~

So relieved that Nick's helper and husband don't have COVID-19. I hope they don't have anything contagious, like the flu, because that can also be dangerous for Nick.

Have you had any more family visits? And how did the sports trivia virtual gathering go?

I am so proud of our Governor. I watched his daily update today. Articulate, caring, factual, honest. He was discussing PPE for caregivers, and he included IHSS careproviders. That really warmed my heart, as a former IHSS careprovider, and as an advocate for the IHSS program for 34 years. In home caregivers will be given masks, gowns, and gloves.

California has enough ventilators that we were able to loan some to New York, Illinois, and a couple of other states. Our state is on top of everything, and I'm impressed.

Every evening at 7 p.m., I hear car horns honking all over our city. We live on a hill, so the sound carries up to us. No one in our neighborhood is honking their horns, so I'm not going out to the driveway to honk our van horn, but I'd like to do that.

This is the community's way of thanking all of the health care workers, delivery and grocery workers, and everyone on the front line serving us bravely.

I sit quietly listening to the horns, and it continues for a half hour, praying for all of our heroes, and giving thanks for all of those people honking their horns. Tears steadily streaming down my cheeks.

Thank you for your prayers, as always, and you know we return them to you and your beautiful family.

funnylegs4 ~

Actually, $219k is just a part of the cost of Jim's radiation. By my rough estimate, so far, the total is about $250k, and there may be more billing results to come.

I wish I'd been keeping a log over the past 3 1/2 years of the costs. I have them all in the Medicare summaries we receive every month. But I haven't tallied every thing he's had done. Opdivo infusions were $9k per infusion, and Jim had so many of those. Biopsies, scans, etc. I'm sure it is in the millions by now.

What is stunningly important here is that Jim and I have paid nothing for all of these procedures, tests, hospitalizations, and infusions.

Americans shouldn't have to wait until they reach 65 years of age to have Medicare coverage. If Jim had cancer in his early 60s, we would have lost our home, and he would have died. Because we have Medicare, which certainly never pays the full cost of anything, we are not held accountable for any of the cost.

Every American, every human being, deserves this kind of care.

We pay premiums, and we have supplemental private insurance for Parts B and D, for which we pay. But the amount we pay in premiums is a pittance in comparison to the cost of Jim's cancer.

This got long... so I'll update on Jim in another post.

Thank you all so much for walking beside us, loving and praying for us. We love you, pray for you and your loved ones, and send you positive, healing energy.

Send prayers around the world!

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

The Chicken Came Home To Roost

As I predicted, Jim's digestive system did not appreciate the introduction of chicken.

About 12 hours after eating his first small bites of chicken, Jim vomited the usual mucous and fluid ... and chicken. Later, massive diarrhea. And I don't think this is Keflex. He's only taking one a day, and he was fine until he ate the chicken.

I held the basin up to show him, "You see those bits floating around in there? That's chicken." Then I emptied it into the toilet, just shaking my head.

Before he tossed his chicken yesterday, he asked for an egg and veggie ham sandwich, which I prepared, of course. He took one small bite, then asked for the basin. Thanks to chicken, Jim hasn't had a decent meal for 2 days now. Applesauce was all he could tolerate today.

After the BM last night, I told Jim that we won't be trying anymore chicken. He agreed. "Give it to John and his family."

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to contain all of that BM, especially since Jim's left leg was aching from using it to push up in the bed. My goal was to give Jim a bath today and change his sheets.

After he was well situated, I needed breakfast and made my favorite "mock eggs benedict."

Unbeknownst to me, Jim had put the head of the bed down and laid flat on the bed waiting for me to come in to pull him up and change the sheet. By the time I finished cooking and eating, he had been laying flat for too long.

"Why did you do this, while I was cooking and eating? You knew I was going to do that."

"I was just getting ready for you." Jim doesn't keep track of time well now. He also doesn't think clearly.

I pulled him up in the bed using the bottom sheet, cleaned his nether regions and applied a new pad. Then, he began coughing, and coughing, and so on. Breathing treatment, then codeine cough syrup. He's sleeping now.

He gets heartburn/indigestion frequently, and I feel that might be because he doesn't have enough food in his system. A few medications and no food. Not a good combination.

I had a shower today! Alert the media! It felt wonderful. Clean clothes.

Nonstop rain here for nearly a week, and I think we've had enough for now, with flash floods being predicted every hour. No walks for me. I am already battling depression and sorrow as Jon's Angelversary approaches. The effect of the gloominess and the negative ions in the atmosphere during rain isn't helping me. Oh, and the ants invading our kitchen. And the plumbing leaks ...

For now, that's our story, and we're sticking to it.

We love you all and give thanks for the blessing you are in our lives and pray for you and your loved ones every day.

Be safe. Stay home. Be well. Be strong. Have faith.

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

Hello my dear Rose,
                          I am so sorry that poor Jim didn't digest the chicken. I understand that he is wanting some of his youth back - just to have some choices. It must be so hard. But it is you I worry about most, Rose. I can't believe everything you are doing just physically, nevermind the grief, the loss, the lack of sleep and the constant worry. I am so glad you got a shower - small mercies!

We are OK over here. Nick went to the hospital yesterday for his pain pump refill and we were quite worried (so was he!). But he wore a mask, gown, sunglasses and luckily was in and out in under 1/2 hour. They were waiting for him and no one else was there. The refill went without a hitch. We phone before and after and he was very relieved to get home OK. Now all his staff are wearing masks (as they should right now) but Nick doesn't like that much. We told him the masks are for the same reason there is no premier league soccer or NHL right now. He just sighed deeply. My brother in law is going into the hospital on Sunday morning and will have his surgery on Tuesday. Thank goodness it will soon be over. He and my sister are managing their anxiety quite well, I think - the best they can, anyway.

Easter will be odd this year with no family here. It will just the two of us and we'll skype Nick and put the iPad on the dining room table so he can 'join'. We'll have baked ham, scalloped potatoes, asparagus and vanilla cupcakes with chocolate easter eggs. Pretty traditional :)
                          I send my love and prayers, Rose. I hope Jim feels much better soon - hopefully his body will forget he ever had chicken.
                          Donna oxoxo

Comment

Donna ~

I'm relieved that Nick's pump refill went quickly and smoothly. I'm sure you were concerned too. Remembering what a scary time he had with the pump surgery not long ago, I'm so grateful that Nick is well.

Jonathan eventually got used to people wearing masks, especially since we had to wear them every time he was in ICU. Periodically, he would try to remove John's mask, when they hugged. Oh how I miss those precious moments they had.

I can understand Nick's feelings about the masks. They hide smiles, for one thing. And I'm so sorry that Nick is missing his soccer and hockey. We're missing Dodgers, because we and John really felt that this would be their year. They have such a great team, and it's a joy to watch their games. It doesn't feel like Spring without baseball.

Jim is missing soccer too. And Liverpool was so close to winning it all, before the games were cancelled. Please let Nick know that Jim relates well to his disappointment.

Many prayers for your brother-in-law and sister. The anxiety of waiting for this surgery must be enormous, so handling that well is truly remarkable. Sending tons of healing energy to them and your entire family.

I'm sure that your Easter dinner will be delicious, as always, but lonely without your loved ones with you. Your menu is similar to the one from my youth and prior to becoming vegetarian. We alternated between scalloped and au gratin potatoes. Green beans were usually our veggie. My mom made an ambrosia salad with canned mixed fruit, marshmallows, and Cool Whip. My mom didn't enjoy cooking, so meals were simple and often from a can or frozen.

FOOD/EASTER DINNER

I don't know what Jim and I will have for Easter dinner. At this point, Jim doesn't have enough appetite to warrant fixing a big meal. He ate almost half a Boomin' Berry bagel with cream cheese this afternoon, after he woke up from sleeping all morning. Then he asked me for yogurt and diced peaches (not fresh but organic in small cups). He fell asleep before he took one bite. He took a Tylenol/Codeine for pain in his legs and hips from turning side to side so I could change his sheet. That was an ordeal for both of us.

Frankly, I am not up to standing on my feet for hours cooking. But I would cook anything for Jim, if he could only eat it. I have thrown out so much food in the past 6 months. I have small and large red and russet potatoes sprouting in the vegetable drawer. Avocados going over in the fridge. Bread I just threw out, which expired in January. Jim was into eggs for a bit, so I ordered more eggs, and now we have too many.

I texted John yesterday and told him that we have chicken, lettuce, and cases of water for him and his family. If the chicken hadn't caused Jim's intestines to revolt, I was planning on making mashed potatoes, peas and carrots, veggie gravy, and chicken for Jim for Easter.

I WILL NEVER "GET AHEAD"

Today, after pulling Jim up in bed, I had to vacuum, because ants were all over the kitchen, crawling along the threshold to Michael's and Jon's room. On the stove, on the tea kettle, in the sink, on the counters, everywhere. Relentless rain for a week has driven them in.

First I swiffered the floors, then I vacuumed the rugs and the ants. I set a boric acid trap for the ants with a prayer they will slow down now.

Then, as the rain had stopped and the sun was out, I checked Michael's pond. The fountain was sputtering. Wind and rain filled the pond with debris, and I have not scooped out algae for too long. So, I bent down and pulled up the fountain motor, cleaned off all of the gunk, replaced it, and it's working. Then I used the pond net to scoop out the scum, leaves, etc. I hoped the waterfall would work again, but it hasn't yet. The fountain is going full blast now, spewing dirty water.

Angel lights were knocked over, so I righted them. The sunshine today should give us a lovely glow from the angels and roses tonight.

Oh, and while Jim was sleeping early this morning, I took the trash bins out to the curb in the rain down our steep driveway.

There is so much work to be done here, and I am overwhelmed. As I was folding my clothes yesterday, which had been in the dryer for a couple of days, Jim remarked, "Oh, are you getting ahead of the laundry now, dear?"

I rolled my eyes so hard, I'm surprised they didn't pop out of their sockets. "Oh, yeah, honey. I'm way ahead." Clutter everywhere in the house, the garage, the yard. Laundry literally piled up to the brim of the boxes hiding them from the street when our garage door is open. There's an Amazon box at the head of the futon bed in the living room, which is in my way when I try to open the shutters on the window. I keep saying that I'm going to empty out all of the stuff in that box and move it. I haven't. It's been 3 weeks now.

MISSING JOHN

Yesterday, John texted that he wants to help us any way that he can, that he misses us, he misses Jonathan along with us, that he understands why he has to stay away from us, because he's still working. He or anyone near him could have COVID-19 and be asymptomatic. Even with a gown, mask and gloves, we would be nervous.

In so many ways, John is a son to us. We love him so much, and his wonderful family, and they want to be here to help us but they can't, because of this virus. We are already physically separated from our sons, Jonathan and Michael, so being separated from John is an additional emotional sorrow for us now, when we need him the most.

When I told John about our plumbing problems, he said that they had a leak in their plumbing again (like the 6th time in 17 years?) too. They had plumbers come in and rip everything apart, including drywall, then put it back together. Three weeks ago.

I think we need to figure out how to use Facetime on the iPad, so we can actually see and talk to John and our other loved ones. Of course, John is the one, who would have to tell us how to use it.

That is our long story for today.

LOVE AND HOPE

We send our love and prayers to everyone, with hope that this crisis will end sooner rather than later. We must be strong. We must support each other. We must find moments to laugh, to relax, to cope, to cry. We must stay connected, which we can do thanks to the internet. We must think of those in the world, who do not have access to the internet. Imagine how alone they must feel.

Please join us in sending love and prayers around the world, honoring those, who courageously work on the front lines to save lives and help us all, and remembering those, who have perished during the pandemic and their bereaved loved ones, who may not even know where their loved one's remains are located.

We must count our blessings and cling to hope. When the horns stop honking at sunset, and the people stop singing from their windows and balconies, when we give up, hope is lost.

This virus doesn't discriminate between countries, cultures, religions, ability, age, gender, or any other demographic. Everyone is vulnerable.

So, we have to take care of ourselves and each other.

Thank you so much for taking care of us. We will do our best to take care of you.

Prayers for all ~

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

Hi dear Rose,
                              Ohhh it is all too much - too much loss, isolation, grief, pain, household chores and worries... So I think it's time to escape even momentarily and enjoy these short videos that are doing the rounds in our family. Nicholas loves them and I think you and Jim will too! Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
                              xoxo Donna

Comment

Send Prayers Around the World!

Donna ~

Thank you for sharing the video. I saw the race to finish the kibble video not long ago and shared it with Jim. He got a kick out of it too. Here's Andrew Cotter's twitter site, if you want to keep up with his assorted videos featuring Olive and Mabel:

I love those dogs! I love all dogs! Maybe you could start making fun videos of Daisy and her antics?

By the way, how did the sports trivia video gathering go? I think I asked you that in a previous thread. Hoping you all had fun and will do it often.

JIM'S UPDATE

Last night, Jim ate most of the filling in an Amy's veggie pot pie. Half of an Orgain shake. About 4 T of oatmilk yogurt, diced peaches, and cashew milk ice cream. He tried to eat some cashews and walnuts during the night, but he didn't have his dentures in.

Dentures in today, after sleeping all morning til 1 p.m., Jim had 1/2 jumbo veggie hot dog, with 2 tsp of carmelized sweet onion and a tiny bit of Dijon, 1 Carr's water cracker with cream cheese spread, a few unsalted kettle potato chips.

We were watching The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, and after he ate, he fell asleep.

Plumbing Woes

When I opened Jonathan's closet, I saw that the leak is getting worse. I have to clean out that closet somehow, and I intended to get started after we had "lunch." But then, Jim went to sleep as he always does. I could just scream! Inside I am, actually. Why is this happening NOW?! Like we don't have enough crises at one time already here! Aaaggghhhh!!!

If Jim could just sleep at night, then be awake in the daytime, I could clean the closet, and schedule the plumbers for when he is awake. Currently that window is 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. When he's awake, I am pulling him up in the bed, changing his pads, cleaning him up, fetching a hundred things for him, making food, throwing out food. Trying to keep the kitchen clean. Praying for a chance to do laundry.

When can I address the leaking toilet and shower? When???!!!

Just Tired and Frustrated

By 9 p.m., I am exhausted, and I still have to keep going until at least midnight and expect to be awakened at anytime thereafter.

Last night, I told Jim that I was going upstairs to turn off the lights, brush my teeth and grab the phone to bring downstairs for the pager. Five minutes after I got upstairs, Jim paged me. I ran downstairs thinking he was having a BM or in distress. When I bolted into his room, he looked at me, smiling, "Honey, it's time for you to go to bed. I just wanted to get you down here so you could go to bed."

"Jim, I told you I was getting ready to go to bed, before I went upstairs. I haven't even brushed my teeth yet. Please don't make me run downstairs to tell me to go to bed. Please."

He has no real concept of my hip and back pain, particularly as it relates to hauling buns downstairs, when the pager goes off. The beeping is very persistent and loud. It's alarming, of course.

He keeps telling me to move all of my bathroom stuff downstairs to that bathroom. The downstairs bathroom is the size of a postage stamp, and there is no room for my stuff on the counter, in the drawers, or the cabinet.

I am terrified that I'm going to trip over all of the cords connecting all of the equipment to a main surge protector on the window side of Jim's bed. It's an obstacle course, which I curse every time I go to that side. To get them all organized and out of the way requires a lot of bending, stooping, and moving the side cabinet. Another job for John, if we didn't have COVID-19 lurking everywhere.

The way it is now is what I had to do that night in February, when Jim insisted he had to go to Jon's room. I spent 2 hours putting it together as best I could, and I haven't had the opportunity to rearrange all of the electrical cords since then.

I'm just terrified of this leaking, and it has to be repaired very soon. I don't know what to do. I feel very much alone right now.

Something Good

On a positive note, the boric acid trap got rid of the ants. And the floors and rugs are clean. And I was able to run the dishwasher after the ants left.

Oh, and I took a walk this morning, as the rain stopped, the sun was out, and the trails were dry. My rusty bones precluded walking my normal distance, which lately has been 3/4 mi instead of 1 mi. Today, I walked .49 mi.

Look at my signature. Tomorrow is Jonathan's First Angelversary. He was 49, when he passed. For nearly 17 years, it has been astonishing at how frequently I see the number 32 (Michael's age). When I check the time, it might be 11:32, 8:32, 4:32. It's uncanny. Since Jonathan's passing, I now see 49 and 32 frequently.

This occurs far too often for it to be a random coincidence. I strongly believe that Jonathan and Michael are sending me a message to assure me that they are ever present with Jim and me. They have always given me the strength to persevere, no matter what obstacles need to be overcome.

(Edited to add: I just posted this message, and my post total is: 4,649.) :

There it is! I didn't plan this, I promise! Really, I rarely pay attention to my post count. Hello, my beloved boys!

Jim talks about his better understanding of some of what Jon and Michael endured all of their lives. They are heroes to him, and he longs to have their determination. And, wow, does he have that, considering all that he's dealt with in the past 3 1/2 years.

Jim also feels guilty about all that I have to do to care for him and manage our home and finances, etc. I can't hide my pain from Jim. He sees me, and he hurts for me. I try to stifle an "Ouch!" or a groan, but it just comes out as an immediate reaction.

As much as possible, I smile through the pain and gladly get whatever Jim wants or needs. We try to add humor where we can. Today, as we were watching "Robin Hood," with all the swashbuckling of Errol Flynn, I asked Jim, "Did they actually make satin in those days? Look at the elegance of this wardrobe! Brocade, silk, satin, sequins. Really?"

Then, we had some fun deciding what was "swash" and what was "buckling."

At any second our upstairs toilet may crash through Jon's closet ceiling, but we're having a chuckle anyway.

Of course, Jim is still sleeping, so I'm still babbling.

SEND PRAYERS AROUND THE WORLD!

May we flatten the curve by staying home, social/physical distancing, washing our hands, washing all parcels, mail, and food orders with antibacterial wipes or isoproyl alcohol, or hydrogen peroxide, wearing masks and gloves, when we leave our homes for urgent needs, and thinking of our neighbors around the world, who are doing the same thing we are.

Let us give thanks for all of the courageous people, who are serving us, risking their lives to bring us health care, food, staples, and supplies. Every time you place an order, say a prayer for the persons, who are involved in fulfilling your order from the warehouse to the driver, who delivers your parcel to you. Every piece of mail you retrieve from your mailbox, say a prayer for your postal carrier.

For every doctor, nurse, EMT, and health care provider, for every one in ancillary staff, such as housekeeping and admissions, in hospitals worldwide, give thanks and prayers for their safety and the safety of their loved ones.

And pray for all of the scientists, who are trying to find treatments, a vaccination, and a cure for COVID-19.

We love you all and thank you for the blessing you are in our lives. We pray for you and your loved ones to be well and safe during this crisis.

Love & Light,

Rose

Last edited by Earth Mother 2 Angels; 04-11-2020, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X