Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

California Is In "Lock Down" Mode

((((((Hugs to All*)))))) ~

California Governor Newsom announced this evening that the state is now in “lock down” for an undetermined amount of time in an effort to slow the spread of COVID-19.

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

The shelter-in-place order requires that all Californians remain in their homes, with the exception of grocery shopping, picking up medications at a pharmacy, and walking or exercising outdoors, while maintaing a safe distance from others in proximity.

“Essential workers” will be allowed to continue working. Fortunately, Nancy falls into that category.

I don’t know whether Instacart shoppers will be allowed to continue working, but I pray that they are, because I don’t want to venture out to the stores. I checked the four stores, where I shop, on Instacart, and they are all out of stock on 95% of the items I have purchased previously. No kleenex, which we do need. Out of fresh produce. Out of Jim’s applesauce, apple juice, ice cream. No cheese. No coconut milk. Fortunately, we are fairly well stocked for now, so I pray that the shelves will be restocked within a week.

This is rather alarming, but it is clearly necessary to stop the COVID-19 spread. With our population of 40 million people, the potential for the virus to run rampant is obviously high. We have to do something, and this is it.

This won’t really impact us, as we already self-isolate out of necessity. But I know several people with active social lives, like John and his family, who will miss the freedom of socializing.

We send our prayers for all to remain safe and healthy.

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Originally posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post
      ((((((Hugs to All*)))))) ~

California Governor Newsom announced this evening that the state is now in “lock down” for an undetermined amount of time in an effort to slow the spread of COVID-19.

The shelter-in-place order requires that all Californians remain in their homes, with the exception of grocery shopping, picking up medications at a pharmacy, and walking or exercising outdoors, while maintaing a safe distance from others in proximity.

“Essential workers” will be allowed to continue working. Fortunately, Nancy falls into that category.

I don’t know whether Instacart shoppers will be allowed to continue working, but I pray that they are, because I don’t want to venture out to the stores. I checked the four stores, where I shop, on Instacart, and they are all out of stock on 95% of the items I have purchased previously. No kleenex, which we do need. Out of fresh produce. Out of Jim’s applesauce, apple juice, ice cream. No cheese. No coconut milk. Fortunately, we are fairly well stocked for now, so I pray that the shelves will be restocked within a week.

This is rather alarming, but it is clearly necessary to stop the COVID-19 spread. With our population of 40 million people, the potential for the virus to run rampant is obviously high. We have to do something, and this is it.

This won’t really impact us, as we already self-isolate out of necessity. But I know several people with active social lives, like John and his family, who will miss the freedom of socializing.

We send our prayers for all to remain safe and healthy.

Love & Light,

Rose

Hi Rose,
      Thanks for the update! I just saw this "lockdown" news on TV and immediately thought of you and Jim and your friends. I would think some deliveries will continue. Perhaps just delivered from a different source. Food supply and other things will return to normal very soon supposedly. My prayers from me and my family to you and everyone in CA. My relative asked "What about Rose and Jim?" when we were watching TV. Yes! We must stop this virus before we end up like Italy with 427 deaths per day from the virus. Each life lost is tragic. We must preserve as much life as possible. I hope Jim and you stay as strong as possible.
      Last edited by funnylegs4; 03-19-2020, 09:12 PM.
      Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
      My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

Comment

What Awaits?

((((((Hugs to All))))))* ~

funnylegs4 ~

Thank you and your family for thinking of us! That is so kind and compassionate of you all. We send those thoughts to you too, as your state is facing a similar lock down, I believe.

So far, food supply here is still scarce to say the least. Nancy said today that she couldn't believe how empty the shelves were at the grocery store. She told the cashier, "This is a good time for you to really clean your shelves. I imagine that when they're fully stocked all the time, it's hard to really clean them."

I checked Instacart again today, and all of my items are out of stock still. Most of the stores are now limiting quantities, when the shelves are restocked, per customer, to be fair to everyone. We can't have a "survival of the fittest" mentality.

Some stores, including Costco, are opening for a brief period in the morning for Seniors Only shopping. One grocery has slotted 7-7:30 a.m. for Senior shopping. Really? Really? Seven a.m. is dawn here!!!! So, Seniors have to get up, get dressed, drive to, or be driven to a grocery store by 7 a.m. and allowed 1/2 hour to shop and check out, before the younger patrons are allowed in? I can guarantee you that I couldn't do that, if Jim was well, and I could go to the store. This plan is an additional hardship for Seniors, who are the most vulnerable.

You know the Seniors you see in all of the commercials about drugs and retirement homes and reverse mortgages? Yeah? Well, the majority of us aren't them.

While I appreciate the gesture, the execution of the gesture does not help the demographic.

I just shake my head. I could write letters to the editor of major news outlets to point out the absurdity of some of these attempts by corporations to stem the tide of the C-virus, but what good would it do?

Because all of the shelves are empty, I suppose the Seniors could shop in a half hour. And leave with ... a can of olives?

Olives ... that's one thing that most of my Instacart stores have in stock. Black olives.

Anyone interested in hearing my other rants about COVID-19, I've been posting in Jingle's thread, "Toilet Paper?".

I'm too tired to copy and paste my latest entry. I included a video of downtown LA. Empty streets. It's bizarre.

NANCY'S VISIT

I covered the gown/mask issue in my post in Jingle's thread.

Nancy had difficulty drawing Jim's blood today. She said, "Maybe the volume is low."

I advised Jim to turn his head and cough, and he did so several times, and finally the blood began flowing better.

I asked Nancy if this could mean a low hemaglobin, WBC, platelets, and she said, "Maybe, but it could have just been a fluke."

This problem occurred, when Jim had his blood transfusion. I told him to cough then, and it worked, but he was there for a blood transfusion.

As lovely as those nurses were, we just cannot go there now. So, please focus your prayers on Jim's blood being okay. And also that he doesn't have a UTI, because he doesn't need to go on an antibiotic again. That is so dangerous in many ways. He can't cope with the diarrhea for one side effect, but it also reduces his resistance to antibiotics and increases his chances of C-diff.

BM CONVERSATION

He produced another good BM this evening, and we discussed the bedside commode again. He also mentioned having a bed pan for BMs. He said he was thinking of the work for me to deal with it in the bed on an underpad.

I explained that it would be more work for me to try to help him to stand or slide off of the bed onto a commode, then get him up, wipe him clean, while he's standing, pull up his briefs, after I've bent down to his feet to put them on before he stood, get him on the bed, up in the bed, set up with all of his blankets and gadgets (SIGH)

than it is for me to use Attends wipes and under pads while he lays on the bed. I just wrap it all up, when it's over and throw it away in a plastic bag. I'd have to empty and clean a commode. I also don't have to worry about Jim not being weight bearing and trying to stand up to go to the commode. I am not strong enough to help him or pick him up.

We also don't have enough room for a bedside commode. I'd have to find somewhere to put it out of our way, when he doesn't need it. But there is no such place.

I spent 50 years of pooping in the bed, diapers, toilet, commode, colostomy, with Jonathan and Michael. I'm the "Poop Queen." I've got this.

Also, YAY! Jim's BM was a normal color.

He has had traces of blood in his urine, another concern, of course. In fact the tiny sample he left in the UA specimen container this morning was mostly blood with a few drops of urine. He'd already expended all of his major urine by then. Nancy took the tiny sample and said the lab could try. She said they can already see that it has blood in it.

SUGAR! SUGAR! SUGAR!

Jim's Food Intake Today: applesauce, applesauce with blueberries and blackberries, diced peaches in its own juice, 4 small Simple Mills chocolate chip cookies, tea, decaf espresso, apple juice, baking soda water. As I complied, I also said, "SUGAR! SUGAR! SUGAR!"

He isn't interested in healthy food now. I'm trying to persuade him to have some veggies, and we have plenty of different soups. But he wants SUGAR! He also loves BodyArmor, which is fortified version of Gatorade with, you guessed it, a ton of sugar.

Tomatoes give him heartburn. So his favorite meals are no longer viable. That just seems like such a twisted fate, when sugar is the worst thing for him. Or for any of us.

So, now we wait for results. It's the weekend, so it will take awhile. And, who knows how overwhelmed the system is right now with lab tests? It could take longer than usual.

MY RESPITE

I managed to take a walk this morning. It was overcast and chilly. It rained again last night. We've had an abundance of rain, which is good. I encountered a neighbor and his dog, and I said, "Okay, I'm not petting you. And it's great to see you. Have a wonderful day!" as I walked past them. When I am able and up to walking, I try to get out just after dawn, so I encounter less people, and usually no one. I got out a little later today.

It's also a little bit more difficult for me to walk these days. I'm limited to 3/4 mile at best. It can be painful and tiring, but I know that I must do this to stay strong to care for Jim.

I also need this time to reduce my stress a little, to breathe fresh air, see the wildlife on our trails, and gaze at the morning rising over the lakes and trees. The ducks and geese and other water fowl are so graceful, peaceful and at home in their environment. I feel serene for a few moments, before I continue home.

Thank you, funnylegs4, and all of our wonderful friends here, for your positive thoughts and energy, your love and prayers. We will support each other through this crisis, as we do with every crisis, either personal or global. We will love each other through this, as we always do. We send our prayers and healing energy to all of you.

Love & Light,

Rose

Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Hi Rose,
          I'm glad you got a walk outside. Just getting out even for a few minutes each day is so important. Breathing fresh air and seeing nature - things growing. I'm glad Nancy was able to get a blood sample. I've never heard of coughing to get a vein, I'm going to remember that! Our stores up here are making home deliveries for seniors with next day delivery. And because we live in a rural area, the shops aren't selling out. Our neighbours are really kind and are shopping for us. We have everything we need (wine included LOL). Re Jim's craving for sugar, are there healthier forms of sugar? Stevia? Honey? I confess that I use sugar in my baking, but my taste is to have baked products that are not too sweet, so scones for example which are like southern biscuits (only a couple of tablespoons of sugar in the whole recipe). But of course they are only really good with butter and jam LOL. Anyway, I am more than happy to look up easy recipes for you if you can tell me what sugar substitutes (if any) you can use for Jim. We are doing fine over here. Nick has organized an online 'pub night with sports quiz' for tomorrow night with friends and family. We will all meet up virtually at 8pm and it will be fun. We have to think of ways to keep close even though we are apart! Today Jim washed the windows (it was sunny outside) and that lifted our spirits, now he's making a fire in the fireplace. So we feel very blessed that everyone is safe and healthy. The news out of NYC is very alarming and it's just going to get worse. Sending much love and prayers that you will get all the food and supplies you need in this crazy time. xoxo Donna
          Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
          Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

Comment

Sugar's Revenge

((((((Hugs to All))))))*

Donna ~

Nick’s On Line Pub sounds like great fun! Who is in charge of making up the questions for the quiz? I hope that you all will do this regularly. This is one way that the internet can keep everyone connected.

The reason why coughing works for Jim is because he has an implanted port in his clavicle area, from which Nancy draws his blood (and he receives IVs). I don’t think that coughing would work when blood is drawn peripherally.

Years ago, Jim substituted honey for sugar, but he used too much honey over too long a period of time. He ended up with a problem, but I can’t remember what that problem was. I once tried all kinds of sugar substitutes, but Jim didn’t like any of them.

I don’t really have time or energy to bake these days. Thank you so much for the offer to find recipes for me.

God Bless Your Caring and Generous Neighbors!

Clean windows and a cozy fire. I’ll be right over! Oh wait, even if I could, I couldn’t.

SUGAR’S REVENGE

All of that sugar is taking revenge on Jim now. He had a gigantic BM today, which took an hour of stops and starts. Very soft and the right color, but “hot” as he described it.

He said that he’s so thirsty. Excessive thirst and craving sweets. Not a good sign. We’ll see what his glucose level is after yesterday’s draw.

So, I laid down the law. No more Body Armor (like Gatorade for electrolyte replacement), which has 29 grams of sugar per bottle. He doesn’t need it. He likes the taste, of course the sweetness, and calls it “juice.” Nope. Not juice.

I bought him Santa Cruz organic passion fruit juice. But it turned out to be a “drink” with water and 14 grams of sugar per serving. That is gone, and we won’t get any more of it. Well, we can’t get it now, with the store shelves being empty.

He “needs” a teaspoon of raw sugar in his tea or decaf espresso. I’m going to cut down on that tsp. He’ll have to adjust.

I told him that he can’t just eat fruit and drink sugar as his sole diet. He’s miserable, and that has to be a significant factor. Even if he can only handle a few bites of an actual meal, he needs vegetables and protein. I’m also going to force him to take his vitamins! He doesn’t think that they are important. Well, they are vitally important to a person, who can’t get them via diet.

He fell asleep after the ordeal of pooping. Lots of lifting his hips and turning for cleaning. Still, as I wrote in my last post, it is better than any other option.

His meal when he woke up: fried left over mashed potatoes and a fried egg on top. Decaf espresso, with just a tsp of sugar for the equivalent of 2 cups.

We have 2 eggs left. I just keep hoping the shelves will get restocked soon.

SIGNING FOR STAMPS

In the middle of this adventure, there was a knock on our front door. I knew who it was: Our mail carrier. I’d received an undeliverable notice on Thursday that I had to sign for the roll of Forever stamps I ordered. She said she knocked, but we didn’t answer. Most likely, I was in Jon’s room with Jim, and he has the TV volume on blast.

For redelivery today, I asked her to knock. She did.

I had to change my gloves and put on a mask, before I could open the door. She was standing at the end of the porch properly distancing herself from me. I asked her why after all of the years of not having to sign for stamps I have to sign now.

She said that there is a lot of mail fraud going on because of the pandemic. People claim that they ordered stamps and didn’t get them, then they want their money refunded. Because no one wants to go to the post office, stamps by mail is booming.

She signed for me so I didn’t have to touch her phone or whatever the gadget is she uses. She handed me the mail, which included a small box, then quickly stepped away from me. She knows our situation, so she tries to be helpful.

In the small box, I discovered 50 face masks, which I ordered from Amazon a couple of weeks ago. Made in China, of course, and the only English on the box was “Face Masks.” I wiped it down several times with alcohol. They aren’t as good as our BioMasks, but beggars can’t be choosers during a pandemic. At least our noses and mouths will be covered should any infected person breathe on us.

I feel a little less stressed about the face masks now, as we do have a supply of BioMasks (which are like gold to us), about 45 “procedure masks,” and now these 50 masks. If that sounds like hoarding, then I’m guilty as charged. This virus could last a very long time, and I can’t take the risk of not having masks for Jim and me.

So, for now, that is self-isolating and social distancing us.

Please let us know, Donna, about Nick’s Pub Night. Have Fun!

Thank you everyone for your love, prayers, and support of us. We pray for you and your loved ones and send you healing and strengthening energy in these very frightening times.

May we all be safe and well and make the most of our time in isolation. Just remember, while we are apart, we are not alone.

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

Be Strong

How is everyone faring in isolation? What are you doing to keep yourselves occupied, distracted, and less stressed?

On YouTube, Global Citizen is sponsoring Together At Home, with musical artists performing from their homes. I watched John Legend the other day. He and his wife, Chrissy, entertained for about an hour.

Late Night TV hosts are also on YouTube with mini monologues from their homes, including Jimmy Fallon, Stephen Colbert, Jimmy Kimmel, Conan O'Brien, and Trevor Noah. The Jimmys also include their children and wives.

Amazon Prime has many Oscar nominated movies available to rent or buy. Yesterday, while Jim slept all afternoon, I watched "A Beautiful Day In the Neighborhood," with Tom Hanks as Fred Rogers. I wept through some of it, recalling that Jonathan and Michael watched Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood everyday, as well as Sesame Street. Both programs began about the time they were born.

In the mid 70s, I was invited to participate in a retreat with Mr. Rogers' staff and a group of professionals, including teachers of special education, nurses, a physician, a psychologist, and therapists. The purpose of the retreat was to discuss ways in which Mr. Rogers could incorporate children with various disabilities into his program. I was the only parent of children with disabilities on the team, as the other invited parent was in ICU with her child that weekend.

This was a tremendous honor to be among this group of experts laying the foundation for Mr. Rogers to promote inclusion and love for all children. By Sunday, we were all friends. Then Mr. Rogers (he asked us to call him Fred) appeared to share our last meal with us. He spoke with us prior to the meal, and then he circulated throughout the group, addressing each person individually by name and thanking them for their participation and the work they did for children.

I just watched him in awe, and then he approached me. He asked me questions about Jonathan and Michael, about how I was coping and staying strong, and he told me that several of the guests had praised me for my input. He told me to "keep doing everything you're doing." At the end of our conversation, he wrote our names in a little notebook and told me that he would pray for us.

That was a turning point in my life. He empowered me to be an advocate and an activist for all persons with disabling conditions. He gave me confidence and strength. When I looked into his eyes, because he never stopped looking into mine, I saw his beautiful, gentle, loving soul.

Tom Hanks' performance is truly remarkable. He captured Fred's softness and kindness. The story is fact-based, and everything I knew and felt about Fred is conveyed in it.

Fred Rogers devoted his life to equality, peace, and love. During this pandemic, we need Fred Rogers. And this film is the closest we will get to having him here.

JIM'S UPDATE

Dr. K left a message this morning that: a) Jim has a UTI; b) he prescribed Augmenten; c) Jim's hemoglobin is 6.8, down from 8.2. Pre-transfusion it was 7.2.

He said that if Jim has any bleeding, he will need to go to the hospital for another transfusion. Meanwhile, he ordered another blood draw for this Friday.

The rest of Jim's blood work is adequate, with some slight fluctuations. His WBC is 5.8, down from 6.? a month ago, but still higher than it was for the last 2 years.

So, I went over all of this with Jim, and he does not want to go to the hospital. "If I have to go, then we'll go. But I do not want to go. I do not want to deal with this or be in a place where I can get this virus and die a horrible death."

How can I argue with that? This is the fear that everyone has, but it is exacerbated, when you are as fragile as Jim is and still fighting to get stronger.

He's finally acknowledged that he's overdone it with sugar. He put in his dentures and asked for an egg and two slices of toast. He ate all but the crusts.

He's eating oat milk yogurt, which has sugar, but it will also work for him with the antibiotic.

His belly was reduced significantly after his most recent BM, but now he's blown up with gas. Hence, the teeth. He's also been using straws again, which we must stop.

John texted this morning to check in. He asked if he could stop by to pick up a couple of cases of water for his family. Of course! But I told him that we would have to steer clear of him since he is still working and out in the public. He said that he understood completely. Of course, if we have an urgent need for his help, he will don a mask, gown and gloves and help us.

We are down to our last egg, as my Instacart shopper yesterday said, "no eggs at all." But, he was able to find almost everything else, and he kindly left them at the front door. He's shopped for me before, so he knows our situation. He's a sweetie.

So, I asked John if he could pick up a dozen organic eggs for us. "No problem," is his answer always. So, he did and left them on top of the stacks of cases of water.

He is worried about Jim and texted that he's available to help us anytime.

Please join us in prayer that Jim's hemoglobin will re-calibrate (a term used with regard to Jonathan by several physicians), and he will not need a transfusion. While the nurses in the unit were so wonderful, it's just such an ordeal for Jim to move or be moved now, on a gurney, transferred, waiting, etc., plus, well, you know, THE VIRUS.

This is a time, when they should allow qualified nurses to do transfusions at home. I don't know how that could be done logistically, because a blood draw is needed first, and the results are necessary for the transfusion. Nancy does IVIg infusions in the home setting, as well as TPN, setting up saline and antibiotic IVs for home use. She was an infusion nurse years ago. She could give Jim a blood transfusion. But it's not permitted by law.

Thank you all for your love, prayers, support, and continuing friendship on our journey. We love you, and we pray for you and your loved ones everyday.

These are difficult times for us all. But we're still here, and we're still together. We can support each other through this. We're never alone.

Healing, positive energy around the World!

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

Much love and many prayers

Comment

Rose, I am really sorry that Jim has a UTI and has to go on an antibiotic and also that he is close to needing a blood transfusion. I totally understand about not wanting to go in a hospital at this time, but that is the law, as you said.

When I had surgery one time I had to have blood after it and a Nurse set by my bed through both bags. It was during flu season and blood of my type was running low so it was late at night before they gave me the first blood. She was still sitting by my side at 10:30 or 11:00 when I drifted off to sleep. We were watching a movie that was really good, but I couldn't keep my eyes open.

I will pray that Jim's blood draw this week is better. I always pray for the two of you each night. It will be more specific right now.
                  Virginia

Comment

Originally posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post

How is everyone faring in isolation? What are you doing to keep yourselves occupied, distracted, and less stressed?

On YouTube, Global Citizen is sponsoring Together At Home, with musical artists performing from their homes. I watched John Legend the other day. He and his wife, Chrissy, entertained for about an hour.

Late Night TV hosts are also on YouTube with mini monologues from their homes, including Jimmy Fallon, Stephen Colbert, Jimmy Kimmel, Conan O'Brien, and Trevor Noah. The Jimmys also include their children and wives.

Amazon Prime has many Oscar nominated movies available to rent or buy. Yesterday, while Jim slept all afternoon, I watched "A Beautiful Day In the Neighborhood," with Tom Hanks as Fred Rogers. I wept through some of it, recalling that Jonathan and Michael watched Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood everyday, as well as Sesame Street. Both programs began about the time they were born.

In the mid 70s, I was invited to participate in a retreat with Mr. Rogers' staff and a group of professionals, including teachers of special education, nurses, a physician, a psychologist, and therapists. The purpose of the retreat was to discuss ways in which Mr. Rogers could incorporate children with various disabilities into his program. I was the only parent of children with disabilities on the team, as the other invited parent was in ICU with her child that weekend.

This was a tremendous honor to be among this group of experts laying the foundation for Mr. Rogers to promote inclusion and love for all children. By Sunday, we were all friends. Then Mr. Rogers (he asked us to call him Fred) appeared to share our last meal with us. He spoke with us prior to the meal, and then he circulated throughout the group, addressing each person individually by name and thanking them for their participation and the work they did for children.

I just watched him in awe, and then he approached me. He asked me questions about Jonathan and Michael, about how I was coping and staying strong, and he told me that several of the guests had praised me for my input. He told me to "keep doing everything you're doing." At the end of our conversation, he wrote our names in a little notebook and told me that he would pray for us.

That was a turning point in my life. He empowered me to be an advocate and an activist for all persons with disabling conditions. He gave me confidence and strength. When I looked into his eyes, because he never stopped looking into mine, I saw his beautiful, gentle, loving soul.

Tom Hanks' performance is truly remarkable. He captured Fred's softness and kindness. The story is fact-based, and everything I knew and felt about Fred is conveyed in it.

Fred Rogers devoted his life to equality, peace, and love. During this pandemic, we need Fred Rogers. And this film is the closest we will get to having him here.

JIM'S UPDATE

Dr. K left a message this morning that: a) Jim has a UTI; b) he prescribed Augmenten; c) Jim's hemoglobin is 6.8, down from 8.2. Pre-transfusion it was 7.2.

He said that if Jim has any bleeding, he will need to go to the hospital for another transfusion. Meanwhile, he ordered another blood draw for this Friday.

The rest of Jim's blood work is adequate, with some slight fluctuations. His WBC is 5.8, down from 6.? a month ago, but still higher than it was for the last 2 years.

So, I went over all of this with Jim, and he does not want to go to the hospital. "If I have to go, then we'll go. But I do not want to go. I do not want to deal with this or be in a place where I can get this virus and die a horrible death."

How can I argue with that? This is the fear that everyone has, but it is exacerbated, when you are as fragile as Jim is and still fighting to get stronger.

He's finally acknowledged that he's overdone it with sugar. He put in his dentures and asked for an egg and two slices of toast. He ate all but the crusts.

He's eating oat milk yogurt, which has sugar, but it will also work for him with the antibiotic.

His belly was reduced significantly after his most recent BM, but now he's blown up with gas. Hence, the teeth. He's also been using straws again, which we must stop.

John texted this morning to check in. He asked if he could stop by to pick up a couple of cases of water for his family. Of course! But I told him that we would have to steer clear of him since he is still working and out in the public. He said that he understood completely. Of course, if we have an urgent need for his help, he will don a mask, gown and gloves and help us.

We are down to our last egg, as my Instacart shopper yesterday said, "no eggs at all." But, he was able to find almost everything else, and he kindly left them at the front door. He's shopped for me before, so he knows our situation. He's a sweetie.

So, I asked John if he could pick up a dozen organic eggs for us. "No problem," is his answer always. So, he did and left them on top of the stacks of cases of water.

He is worried about Jim and texted that he's available to help us anytime.

Please join us in prayer that Jim's hemoglobin will re-calibrate (a term used with regard to Jonathan by several physicians), and he will not need a transfusion. While the nurses in the unit were so wonderful, it's just such an ordeal for Jim to move or be moved now, on a gurney, transferred, waiting, etc., plus, well, you know, THE VIRUS.

This is a time, when they should allow qualified nurses to do transfusions at home. I don't know how that could be done logistically, because a blood draw is needed first, and the results are necessary for the transfusion. Nancy does IVIg infusions in the home setting, as well as TPN, setting up saline and antibiotic IVs for home use. She was an infusion nurse years ago. She could give Jim a blood transfusion. But it's not permitted by law.

Thank you all for your love, prayers, support, and continuing friendship on our journey. We love you, and we pray for you and your loved ones everyday.

These are difficult times for us all. But we're still here, and we're still together. We can support each other through this. We're never alone.

Healing, positive energy around the World!

Love & Light,

Rose

Hi Rose,

I ABSOLUTELY ADORED “A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood” when I saw it in theaters! Fred Rogers has the compassion and patience I wish I had! Watching the film brought back so many memories of the TV show for me. I saw on youtube that the real Fred Rogers adored disabled children and deeply befriended disabled fans of the show. He had 2 disabled children as guests on “Mr Rogers Neighborhood” which was a really groundbreaking show that discussed a wide range of topics from electric cars to grief. SO THRILLED YOU MET HIM! How Blessed you are! Tom Hanks nailed his mannerisms. Doing well in isolation except I’m finding I can come across as a horrible jerk on digital modes of communication as opposed to in person. Oy! I disgust myself.

I imagine Jim’s body wants the fast energy from sugar but the tumor will feed on the sugar unfortunately. Avoid the hospital where possible to protect yourself and make room for virus victims.
                    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
                    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

Comment

funnylegs4 ~

I'm so glad that you enjoyed the movie. Initially, although I love Tom Hanks, who is a superb actor, I wondered whether he could become Fred. Did he ever!

The purpose of Fred's retreat was to learn ways to teach non-disabled children about children with disabilities, as well as include children with disabilities on the show. He was a champion of inclusion for everyone. In 1969, his episode featuring an encounter with the show's black mailman, was controversial, as Fred invited the mailman to cool his feet in a wading pool with Fred.

Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 4.17.13 PM.jpg

Indeed that weekend retreat and meeting Fred were true blessings for me. He set me on a course, which allowed me to be strong and to fight for the rights of people with disabilities. I treasure the moments I spent with him.

ABOUT THE HOSPITAL

Believe me, we do not want to go to the hospital! Or anywhere, but especially not to the hospital. However, I don't think that we will be interfering with care for other patients, regardless of why they are there, for a blood transfusion. We go to an outpatient unit, restricted to patients, who need infusions or transfusions. There wouldn't be any C-virus patients in that unit. Any patient in the unit absolutely needs the procedure they are receiving. For Jim, a blood transfusion will save his life.

I'm sure that Dr. K only wants to send Jim to the unit, if he doesn't re-calibrate by Friday, when Nancy will do another blood draw. After all, Dr. K cancelled Jim's appointment, which would have been yesterday.

Based upon data collected from a paltry number of test kits, the current number of C-virus patients is 125 in our county. That number doubled from the previous report. In California, with a population of 40 million, there are 2,200 tested cases of C-virus. Clearly, there are more people carrying it than that number, but we don't know who they are or how many of them there are, because we don't have testing kits.

I am always nervous about going to any medical facility, as you all know, prior to this pandemic. I've been protecting our family from the flu for 50 years. Amazingly, Jonathan and Michael never got the flu, even when they were in school.

After a dear friend visited and stayed with us for Christmas, and got the flu the day she left, we have had a restriction on anyone, who flies, visiting us unless they've been here for a week or, better yet, 2 weeks.

As Jim was transporting our friend to/from the airport, he got the flu. I moved Jon and Michael downstairs (at the time, their bedroom was upstairs; it is now our office). Jim was isolated in our bedroom upstairs, and I served him food on a TV tray I left in the hall in front of the bedroom door. He opened the door, got his food, ate, then put it back on the tray, while I was downstairs. We didn't have masks then, so I wore one of Jon's bandanas around my nose and mouth as well as gloves.

Miraculously after 10 days, Jim emerged and neither the boys nor I got the flu.

Jonathan was in ICU during the Swine Flu, and H1N1. We were often in the hospital with Michael or Jon during flu season, Christmas, Valentine's Day, name a holiday, we were in the hospital.

This isn't our first rodeo.

On Friday, Nancy will bring us a couple of bottles of hand sanitizer, which will be easier to use than alcohol wipes. We have plenty of BioMasks, which we will wear. And gloves. Our ambulance service is immaculate with the best EMTs I've ever met in 50 years, hands down. We know that they thoroughly scrub their rigs after each transport, and I'm sure that they have even amped that up since the C-virus.

All of that being said, the main reason we don't want to go is that Jim is just so fragile. Even for his drainage in February, he still could bear weight and help himself on and off of the gurney/bed. Now, he can't.

However, a blood transfusion could turn it all around for him, boost him enough to fight off the UTIs and help him to eat better. He wants that, but there are times, when he feels ready to "fold" (poker term ~ he watches poker on TV ~ not my favorite choice of his TV viewing).

On Friday, we will have a good conversation with Nancy about all of this, and she will guide us in our choices.

TODAY

This morning, Jim was so discombobulated in the bed, I couldn't believe it. He was laying diagonally, with one foot resting on the bottom rung of his overbed tray, and the other with his knee bent on the bed.

"What are you doing Jim?!"

"I don't know. I just woke up, and I was like this."

That was a challenge for both of us to get him straightened out and up in the bed, change his britches, and begin the day. But we succeeded!

He ate a reasonably sized bowl of cereal with a few raisins, prunes, and 1/2 a tub of last night's leftover peaches. Then he took Augmenten.

He fell asleep and woke up with gas and a sour taste in his mouth. After he rested, we successfully got him up in the bed and changed. He finally asked for a cup of tea, drank half of it and went to sleep.

Originally, I planned to make his favorite garlic roasted red potatoes, and whatever else appealed to him as a dinner meal, but with the gas and sour taste, I decided that wasn't the best idea. We have lovely large organic russet potatoes, so I suggested I bake one, we share it, and he can have butter and cheese on it. At this point, he said it sounded like a better idea.

He is disappointed that the Augmenten took away his anticipation of the garlic roasted potatoes. So many things, which he enjoys eating are being farther out of his range of what his gut can tolerate. Our dearest friend is going through this same issue right now, for other reasons, so she knows what this is like. It sucks. Plain and simple.

He's wearing his dentures and not using a straw, but his belly blew up with gas today. I don't know how much he can eat, or if he'll even want to eat, when he wakes up.

Thank you, funnylegs4, and all of our friends here, who are praying for us, loving us, and walking beside us. We love you and pray for you and your loved ones always.

Be strong. Be safe. Be well.

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

Choices, Decisions, Fears, Infections, Leaks

Nancy texted today that Dr. K wants Jim’s blood draw tomorrow rather than on Friday. If the hemoglobin level is the same, he will likely want Jim to go to the hospital for a blood transfusion on Friday, if they have availability to squeeze him in. Otherwise, it will be Monday or Tuesday.

A couple of nights ago, Jim asked me to unplug the small Lakers’ lamp on Jon’s chest next to the closet. I had to pull the chairbed away from the wall and awkwardly bend down to unplug it. My right hip was not happy about that action, so I’ve had considerable pain since then.

I have been applying heat and Aspercreme, which does help slightly. I haven’t been able to take my walk due to weather and needing to be here for Jim, which usually loosens me up a little. So, I was planning to clean and prepare for Nancy tomorrow. Tomorrow became today.

Jim was nauseated today 2 hours after taking Augmenten. He woke up feeling queazy. He vomited a very small amount of the soup he’d eaten prior to taking it. Most of it was mucous. This has been the issue previously, when he’s vomited. So, I think we need to step up his breathing treatments again. He also slides down in the bed, so he isn’t upright, when he’s sleeping.

For 2 1/2 hours, I alternated between tending to Jim and Swiffering, vacuuming, and scrubbing. A breathing treatment did help him in the end.

PLUMBING PROBLEMS

Because we don’t have enough things going at once, we have plumbing problems.

There is the long standing mold under our kitchen sink from a dripping faucet. It’s dried now, because our plumber told me to let the faucet hang down into the sink, until we can have the mold removed. I just keep the doors closed. I moved our under the sink trash out. Now we have a huge stainless steel bin in Michael’s and Jon’s room (they share it now, of course), along with the recycle bin. Supplies, and boxes and bags of food are in the room too. Our home is just a clutter box.

New problems:

Our upstairs toilet is leaking in Jon’s walk-in bedroom closet. Maybe 20 years ago, Jim put two boards over that space in the ceiling to prevent leaks after he installed a new toilet. It has worked until now. Our toilets are only a couple of years old, and our trusted plumbers installed both on the same day. Dad and son team.

Another potential mold problem there.

Also our ancient upstairs bathroom … it’s just awful. We started remodeling, and then everything came to a halt, when Jon’s health began declining in 2004. We’d make some attempts, and then 2009 happened, and we were basically running an ICU for Jonathan until he passed last year.

In November 2016, when Jim was coughing up blood, he replaced the bathtub downspout. Our plumbing fixes are very difficult, because of the cheap way our homes were built. Like us, almost every one of our neighbors has had a slab leak, which is like living in a horror film for months.

We have hard water, so everything corrodes, and now the downspout won’t work. I have it permanently in the up position, so that I can take showers. I cannot push it down, and if I could, I’d be afraid that I couldn’t pull it up again for showering.

So, now, the shower head is leaking, plop, plop, plop, plop. It’s a good thing that I sleep downstairs now, because that would drive me around the pole every night.

I finally told Jim about the shower (he knew about the toilet leak) this evening. Jim said, “We have to call the plumbers. We can’t let water be leaking and building up.”

We can’t do it tomorrow or Friday.

Plus Jon’s closet is stuffed to the brim literally, and I would have to remove all of that for the plumbers to access the ceiling. Jim thinks we’ll be okay, if we gown, mask and glove John to help me. And we wear masks when the plumbers are working. How are they going to be able to do this, when Jim sleeps during the morning and afternoon? I don’t know.

I began crying, trying hard not to give in to it. Jim invited me to climb up on the bed with him, which is lovely, but very impractical in several ways. We hugged, and he assured me, “Everything will be all right, honey. We’ll find a way."

JIM, THINKING OF ME

Today, Jim offered that I should not accompany him to the hospital, if he needs a transfusion. He said that there was no need for both of us to be exposed, if COVID-19 or the flu or any other germ is around.

I explained to him that if he gets COVID-19, I will get it too, because I am providing him with 24 hour care. We don’t have enough masks or gowns to protect me from him. Like him, I’m in the high risk group, and I have RA, am rundown, exhausted, stressed, and grieving. If I get it, I probably won’t survive either.

It hurts so much for me to say this, but it is a fact. I’m not in great shape, and if I get COVID-19, my odds are not at all good.

So, I said, “Jim, where you go, I go. I don’t want you to be alone. I can protect us. You won’t think about washing your hands or not touching your face. I can be there to do that for you. I’ll make sure that your mask is over your nose, as it often falls down. I will be there to reduce the risks as much as I can for both of us. I love you for thinking of me. But we’re in this together regardless of whether I am there with you or at home worrying about you. I will be there with you.”

It feels like I can’t pray hard enough for Jim’s hemoglobin to rise out of the danger zone. Or that we don’t get COVID-19. I understand that Jim’s journey is precarious, as does Jim. But, I have to survive to get all of our affairs in order, otherwise the state will have everything. I cannot allow that to happen. Unfortunately, life keeps throwing obstacles in the way of my ability to prevent it from happening.

So, there we are. Choices, decisions, fears, infections, leaks.

Thankfully, Jim is feeling much better tonight, albeit afraid to eat. I contend that it’s his lungs getting filled up, not his belly, that is the issue with his nausea and retching. I know that was the case with Jonathan, and this is like a mirror image of him now.

We love you, and we pray for you and your loved ones every day. May you be safe from this virus, strong and well.

Abundant Blessings Upon All ~

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

Count Your Blessings

Grab a beverage, a snack, and anything else you might need to get you through this long post!

Jim was miserable last night, feeling defeated and depressed. The Augmenten has really messed up his appetite, with nausea and a bad taste in his mouth. He has obviously lost more weight, which he can not afford to do.

So, we skipped last night’s Augmenten, and it’s an Augmenten-free day today.

NO TO A TRANSFUSION

He told me that he doesn’t want a blood transfusion, regardless of the test results. He is afraid of getting COVID-19 and infecting me. I assured him that I support any choice he makes and that I understand as well as I can, without being him.

Hospital Environment/Risk

When Nancy arrived, we discussed the hospital situation. She told us that everyone is greeted at the outside entry with a nurse taking their temperature. EVERYONE has to have a normal temp to be allowed in the hospital (except ER, I would guess). A procedure gown (paper) is also provided to everyone to prevent germs spreading from clothing.

She didn’t mention whether they give out masks, which I doubt, although the hospital had masks in the radiation oncology unit, as well as hand sanitizer, when Jim had his radiation treatments last Fall. But now, masks are so scarce for medical personnel, I don’t think they can give them out to the public.

She takes lab work to the hospital, and before she can enter, she has her temp taken and is given a gown. She runs in, drops of lab work, runs out.

I asked what she thinks the risk is for us to go in for a blood transfusion. She said she really didn’t know. But she did say that another hospital, in vicinity to her home, has 5 COVID-19 patients. For the size of our metropolis, that is a very small number. But as we have seen, it can expand rapidly.

"I’m Ready"

Jim told Nancy that he doesn’t want to go in. “I’m dying anyway. I don’t Rose to be exposed. I worry about her. And she needs to be here to get things sorted out with the house and our will. I told her I would go alone, but she insists on coming with me.”

I explained to Nancy that if Jim goes alone, and he is exposed to COVID -19, he will definitely transmit it to me. So, I might as well be there with him to protect him.

Jim said, “I don’t want it. I’m done. I’m ready to go. I can’t do anything anymore. I’m weak. I’m ready.”

Nancy gently, caressed Jim’s shoulder, “That’s okay, Jim. Whatever you want and decide to do, that’s how it will be. No pressure. You’re the boss.”

THE DRAW

Nancy suggested a peripheral draw from Jim’s hand, since the draw last Friday was difficult from the port. Plus she has to waste 5 cc of blood from the port, but not from a peripheral draw.

Jim agreed. But he’s dehydrated and malnourished, and where he has incredible accessible veins, she was unable to draw anything. And it was very painful for Jim, even though Nancy is so gentle and the best IV/port/peripheral nurse ever. I was holding his other hand and watching him as she wiggled the needle a bit, and I said, “Nancy, he’s in a lot of pain here.” She stopped.

So, she drew from the port. No resistance today, and the blood flowed out like a river. “This is great!” she exclaimed. “And look at that blood. Very nice.” She explained that as soon as she saw Jim’s blood last Friday, she knew that he was anemic. Not surprised at all by his low hemoglobin. And the difficulty of the draw then was “low volume.”

She told us that about 10 years ago, the insurance companies refused to pay for a home health nurse to do blood transfusions. It was a 2 day visit. First day, draw blood for type and cross match. Second day give blood. Nurse sits there for 6 hours. It was too expensive. Prior to that, Nancy gave many blood transfusions to home patients.

Okay. The ambulance to take Jim to/from the hospital is $1,600 each way. I haven’t received the Medicare breakdown of the cost of the hospital, the Clinical Outpatient Unit, the nurses, the blood draw, the blood, etc. But I can’t imagine it would be less than a home health nurse.

POST DRAW

Nancy chatted with me in the living room about Jim “declining” and that she would provide me with a booklet to help me understand it better. I told her that I had read the book, when sitting beside Michael, as he was dying. So, I know that dehydration is more comfortable than too many fluids.

Yet, she gave Jim 4 extra saline flushes today in his port to boost his hydration.

I walked out to get our mail, as she was loading up her car.

She had mentioned Canadian butter tarts, which she is making, when she’s in isolation. Flour, butter and salt for the crust, filling is butter, a bit of brown sugar, and raisins. She gave me two tarts for Jim to try. He did, and he loved it!

A BM and 40 cc of Saline

It had been 5 days since Jim’s last BM, but he sure made up for it this evening! First formed and solid, followed by what we call “soft serve.” It went on and on for an hour. We ended up having to change his bed, because I just couldn’t control the output fast enough. That’s fine. He needed a linen change anyway.

As this was going on, he told me that once it was over, he wanted a bowl of cereal with raisins and coconut milk and an Orgain shake. He ate about half the cereal, and he’s drinking the shake with purpose.

He’s in a great mood now, laughing, joking, and feeling so much better. Right now, he’s reading the Wine Folly book I bought for him months ago, which is probably the last time he looked at it.

I told him that I think that 40 cc of Saline boosted him. Jim replied, “That sounds like a song title.”

I paused, then I broke into song: “Before 40 cc of saline, I wasn’t feeling right. But after 40 cc of saline, I’m feeling great tonight! Cause I had 40 cc of saline …” Then, he chuckled and said that was enough.

In just a few hours, we went from grim to grin.

No word on blood draw results, so I’m praying that means that the lab didn’t find anything alarming as they did with the last draw.

We are hopeful, because his blood draw went well, and his blood looks healthy, and he feels so much better this evening.

Jim told me to text Nancy and tell her to get to work on making more tarts. I’m sure that she would be happy to do so for Jim.

NANCY’S COVID-19 SCHEDULE

Nancy is a Senior, so she’s in the high risk group. She now has 3 patients only to serve, which is Jim and two other young men, who she’s been caring for through many years. They are family to her, and she will not leave any of us stranded, even with the C-virus looming.

She told me today that she feels safe coming to our home, because “this is the most sterile home I have ever visited! You never go anywhere to pick up anything. And you wipe down every thing. Gloves, masks, gowns, you’ve got it all here. You’ve been doing this long before this pandemic.”

That is because I recognize the flu as a potential threat to us. We don’t take the flu vaccine, so we have to isolate. It isn’t fun, of course, to be isolated from others. We miss John terribly, for example. But we have to do this, and John knows full well that we do. He misses us too.

We’ll have to figure out how to use the iPad so we can FaceTime or whatever it is called with John and our other friends. That would probably be good for all of us for many reasons.

COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS

Probably more than you wanted to know, but this day was impressive to us. We know that every day we reassess what awaits, and today, we’re enjoying the boost of a BM and 40 cc of saline.

Count your blessings, for they are many, and be grateful for each moment of every day. I watch the sun rise and set, and often Jim joins me. Through our windows we have a lovely view of the sky, trees, clouds. The morning sun breaks on the back of our home, and the sun sets on the front, casting a glorious array of hues on our trees, roof tops and the sky.

Let your heart fill with peace and love for all humans, creatures, and the Earth. Let positive, hopeful energy keep you strong. Then share that energy and send it into the Universe.

Find ways to help others, even in the smallest way. Anything we do for each other makes us all feel better.

If you’re holding onto something painful, try to let it go. Search for forgiveness, because that heals you. It helps the person you forgive, but it’s healing for you.

We are all isolated now by COVID-19, so it’s a perfect time for reflection and spiritual growth.

Take good care of yourself, inside and out. Eat well, take your vitamins, get rest, exercise, get out in the fresh air everyday.

We love you and pray for you and your loved ones, and we give thanks for the blessing you are in our lives.

Love & Light,

Rose

Attached Files
                          Last edited by Earth Mother 2 Angels; 03-27-2020, 07:36 AM.

Comment

"No Transfusion Necessary"

Blood work results are in!

Jim’s Hemoglobin rose from 6.8 to 8.0!!!!

Dr. K’s note: “Blood counts are better. No transfusion necessary.”

Other results are also significantly improved:

WBC: 6.9 up from 5.6

RBC: 3.2 up from 2.7

Hematocrit: 25.4 from 21.8

Platelets: 172 from 141

So, I’m in tears and praising God for answering our prayers. Thank you all so very much for your prayers and positive energy on our behalf.

Such a blessing and a tremendous relief for us.

Jim is sleeping right now, and I am so anxious to tell him this good news. I know that he will be delighted and grateful.

We send you our love, prayers and gratitude.

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

:) Yay! Our prayers are working. Love, Jeanie :)

Comment

Congratulations and bravo!!!!
                                SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Working...
                                X