Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Birthday Jim!

((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

How is your friend today? I've been sending healing prayers for his full recovery and for an explanation as to why he fainted. Prayers for you too, as I know you are very worried. Praying too that your work situation is resolved to your best interests.

JIM'S BIRTHDAY

We celebrated today with a big brunch: eggs, hash browns, sauteed tomatoes, mushrooms, and Amy's breakfast sausage, toast, and Amy's veggie beans. It's the closest I can come to an English breakfast. Jim devoured it.

He slept for a few hours to make up for last night's vigil with the toilet. We watched movies. Oh! We had a momentary problem with our cable, and after trying to figure out the problem, I called Spectrum. The solution was simple. We're just daft when it comes to programming our techno things.

Jim was in pain in the afternoon and took his T/C, then he slept for a few hours, and woke up feeling better.

He is commenting on how he is feeling a bit stronger and more alert after the transfusion. We pray that this continues.

Instead of chocolate cupcakes, I made chocolate chip cookies (from a Simple Mllls mix) for his birthday treat.

I gave him a lovely card, and then I said, "I don't have a gift for you, yet."

Jim replied, "You have a gift for me every second of every day. You've done so much for me, worked so hard for me. I don't need anything, but you."

"Good, because I'm all you've got today!"

Jim celebrated with a good BM today, and if that's too much information, I apologize. But this is critical to his well being, so we always celebrate these events.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JIM!!! YOU ARE AMAZING!!!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

:) Happy Birthday Jim! I hope you have a great day (sounds like you did) and another year. You are both in my prayers every day. With love, Jeanie :)

Comment

Just catching up tonight on your heart wrenching but inspiring documentation of your life with your loved one's. Both you and Jim astound me with your incredible strength and amazing love for each other and your boys!
        I whisper prayer for you every night that tomorrow will be a better, happier day. You two deserve it!

Happy Birthday Jim! May all your wishes come true!

Comment

Happy Birthday, Jim! With love from all our family download (12).jpeg
          Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
          Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

Comment

Originally posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post
            ((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

How is your friend today? I've been sending healing prayers for his full recovery and for an explanation as to why he fainted. Prayers for you too, as I know you are very worried. Praying too that your work situation is resolved to your best interests.

JIM'S BIRTHDAY

We celebrated today with a big brunch: eggs, hash browns, sauteed tomatoes, mushrooms, and Amy's breakfast sausage, toast, and Amy's veggie beans. It's the closest I can come to an English breakfast. Jim devoured it.

He slept for a few hours to make up for last night's vigil with the toilet. We watched movies. Oh! We had a momentary problem with our cable, and after trying to figure out the problem, I called Spectrum. The solution was simple. We're just daft when it comes to programming our techno things.

Jim was in pain in the afternoon and took his T/C, then he slept for a few hours, and woke up feeling better.

He is commenting on how he is feeling a bit stronger and more alert after the transfusion. We pray that this continues.

Instead of chocolate cupcakes, I made chocolate chip cookies (from a Simple Mllls mix) for his birthday treat.

I gave him a lovely card, and then I said, "I don't have a gift for you, yet."

Jim replied, "You have a gift for me every second of every day. You've done so much for me, worked so hard for me. I don't need anything, but you."

"Good, because I'm all you've got today!"

Jim celebrated with a good BM today, and if that's too much information, I apologize. But this is critical to his well being, so we always celebrate these events.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JIM!!! YOU ARE AMAZING!!!

Love & Light,

Rose
            Hi Rose,

Huge HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY wishes to wonderful Jim!!! So glad he got to have this birthday!!! Especially with you! I’m so glad Jim is starting to feel better! You rock Jim!

Thanks so much for asking about my friend Rose. Thank God he was discharged, returned home, and is functioning normally with frequent rest breaks to ensure he's not pushing his body too far too soon. He sounds perfectly normal when he speaks, his blood sugar levels are good, and all the tests done on his heart at the hospital like EKGs, Halter Monitors, and Heart Ultrasound show his heart is in very good condition, especially for a diabetic, and pumping well so he is not at any risk of heart attack or sudden cardiac arrest etc so that’s an utter relief. Still waiting on some other test results but I have a feeling it may end up like my fainting results where everything comes back normal so they chalk it up to a fluke. I don’t want anything to be wrong especially with his brain or other vital organs but it would be nice to know how the heck this happened so it could be prevented. I’m in constant contact with him everyday. Keep the prayers coming!

Donna, that Queen meme is so Fabulous and cracked me up! Perfect for our favorite Brit Jim!
            Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
            My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

Comment

Happy belated birthday to Jim. So glad he was able to celebrate a little. Hope the transfusion helps him to feel better.

Donna, perfect birthday card for Jim!
              Virginia

Comment

Thank You!

Screen Shot 2019-01-20 at 6.23.48 PM.jpg

The World's Most Wonderful Dad and His Sons

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

THANK YOU SO MUCH Jeanie, nuthatch, Donna, funnylegs4, and Virginia for your birthday wishes for Jim.

On the iPad, I showed Jim your posts and read them to him, as he can't find his glasses. He is so touched by your kindness and prayers. Donna, he laughed out loud when he saw the Queen.

Jim slept for 4 hours this morning, then he requested "cheese on toast with veggie baked beans and a 'sloppy egg.'" Another English breakfast. We watched the second half of the Senior Bowl. He was in pain, so he took a T/C and slept for 2 more hours.

He didn't eat dinner last night, because he still felt full. I think we may need to cut back a little on his tea, as he's upped his requests lately. He's also drinking a glass of orange juice, an apple juice box, and water throughout the day/night. He wants his decaf espresso, which I will gladly make for him, but he says I "do it wrong."

He isn't able to stand for very long now, which I attribute to atrophy in his legs, as well as the Ascites, and malnutrition. Making his espresso means he's on his feet too long. His commitment to drink Orgain shakes everyday lasted for one day, and it took two days for him to nearly complete one shake. Maybe I can bargain with him. You drink half a shake, and I'll give you tea later. That will either get him to drink the shake or get up and go to the kitchen to make his own tea and get some exercise.

We have discussed exercise, and I suggested that when he goes to the bathroom, he takes the long way through the kitchen, to and from. It's not a lot, but it's a beginning. "I know," he says. And then he goes straight to the bathroom the short way. Now, he's also using the urinal at bedside, so that is cutting down his exercise even more.

I don't know whether I'm expecting too much from the transfusion, as I was hoping that he'd have more energy by now. He does say he feels better, and his pain isn't as frequent.

I told Jim that I had hoped that his blood came from an Olympian athlete, "then you can help me around the house a little." We laughed. As with all the transfusions for Jonathan and Michael, as soon as Jim's blood arrived, I began praying with gratitude for the donor(s) and asking for them to have a healthy, happy, long life.

OH ... and a note about CARS ...

Remember when I was about to purchase a RAV4 for us, and Jim said he wanted to look at other options, so we tabled the discussion? Jim's experience attempting to get into John's RAV4 for his transfusion showed us that it is too high and tight for him to access/egress. But at the time, when we were looking at cars, the Honda was too low.

Things change.

I'm so grateful that we didn't buy a RAV4. I don't really know what car would be the best for Jim now, although he did do better in the Honda. Toyota has just recalled a bunch of models for faulty air bags, among them the Corolla.

It's times like these, when levitation and astral projection would come in handy.

Jim also has a problem with buying a car sight unseen. I get that, of course, but I don't know any other way to have cars brought to our house to drive and look at. Jim had difficulty walking down the driveway to get in John's RAV4. It's impractical to even think about it.

So, buying a car is still tabled. And we will rely on John in his Honda to transport us to upcoming appointments for tests and Dr. S.

Thank you all again for your birthday wishes for Jim. It warms my heart to know that you love him and us, and we are so grateful for your prayers and positive, healing energy.

We pray for all and for your loved ones, and give thanks for the blessing you are in our lives.

Love & Light,

Rose
                Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Rose,Just catching up on posts. Please extend a very happy birthday wishes to Jim!! Sounds like a lovely day! Kathleen LOVES birthday in fact every day here is "someone's birthday" if it's not a real one she makes one up. Many nights we sing happy birthday to one of her animals or cars. She is also a bit of a savant with birthdays. Generally she hears a date once and remembers forever what their birthday is. It amazes me. She's already getting excited fr her birthday coming up in March. As usual we will have . a surprise party. Last years theme was Harry Potter, I haven't decided this years but thinking maybe Superhero. She loves superheros and loves the movies. Especially spiderman and ironman. We're headed out this morning to look for a dress for the Night To shine Prom. It's sponsored by Tim Tebow and is always a beautiful event. It's all of her favorite things, dancing, music, and boys.
                  You and Jim are always in my thoughts and prayers. I read often, thank you for allowing us to travel this journey with you and JIm. Your love and dedication is inspiring.
                  Mary Grace

Comment

Kobe

Mary Grace ~

Thank you so much for your prayers. You know we pray for you and your family too.

Kathleen has two fun events waiting for her, Prom and her birthday. I look forward to wonderful photos capturing her joy.

KOBE BRYANT'S PASSING

When I read the headline in the on line news this morning that Kobe had perished in a helicopter crash, I was stunned. Of course, I'm not alone, as Kobe was loved by millions worldwide.

Jonathan loved Kobe from the moment 17 year old Kobe stepped onto the Lakers court for his first NBA Game. Over Kobe's 20 year Lakers career, Jonathan acquired as much Kobe merchandise as we could find. Hats, t-shirts, towels, framed photos of famous shots, bobbleheads, videos, etc. It was all Kobe all the time for Jon.

When Kobe retired, it was a sad day for Jonathan. Thereafter, he lost interest in the Lakers. The only Lakers he found interesting to watch were videos of their championship seasons led by Kobe. He watched them so many times.

I have been crying unabashedly all day, wondering if Jonathan has now met his basketball idol.

To add to the tragedy, we learned that Kobe's 13 year old daughter, Gianna, a rising basketball star, also perished in the crash. Seven other people died, including Gianna's teammate and her parent(s).

I've tried to imagine how Kobe's wife, Vanessa, is coping right now with the loss of her daughter and her husband. And Kobe's surviving 3 daughters, who lost their dad and sister. I understand shock, trauma, and heartbreak, but I've been prepared for my losses. They were not.

Jim was sleeping this morning, when I read the news of Kobe's accident. When Jim woke up, and I entered the living room crying, he asked me what was wrong. I told him about Kobe, bursting into tears. Jim was sad too, and we talked about Jon's devotion to Kobe. Jim comforted me.

A long, very sad, day.

JIM'S UPDATE

Jim coughed a lot last night, even after taking his Codeine cough syrup twice. He needed several breathing treatments during the night. He did better today, until he woke up. Then the coughing begins.

Of course, coughing generates pain in his rib. He has lower abdomen discomfort, which may be a bowel issue. He's peeing well, but he's still full of fluid.

No desire to eat, because he feels full. All my careful inquiries as to whether he wants something to eat are met with, "No. I'll tell you when I feel like I can eat something."

I can see all of his bones and feel them when I hug him. Of course, I'm very worried. I get excited when he wants to eat, and thrilled if he eats most of what I serve him. When he refuses food for as long as he has (1/2 bowl of vegetable soup last night about 8 p.m.), I become worried.

Jim knows he needs to eat, and he wants to eat. He just has no place in his gut to put the food. It's quite frustrating.

Please join us in prayer for Kobe's wife, daughters, parents, family, friends, teammates, fans, and all who love him. Kobe was a gifted, hard working athlete, who made mistakes in his youth, but became a dedicated husband and father, and created opportunities for children worldwide to learn to play basketball in lieu of other dubious choices. He was so proud of Gianna, and her interest in excelling in basketball. They were on their way to a game for her team, when the crash occurred.

Thank you ~

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

For your consideration: Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

Comment

((((((callyflower)))))) ~

Thank you for the link, however, I don't subscribe to the Washington Post, so I can't read the article. I did see the headline, so I got your point.

As I explained previously, Jim doesn't want to lose Nancy as his nurse, and if we move into Hospice with our agency, she will no longer be Jim's nurse.

Jim and I are not adverse to Fentanyl patches or morphine. Dr. K is holding that up. He recommended Hospice for Jim on May 31, 2018. Jim was on 3 liters of O2 then. But he got off of O2, and was even able to tolerate 15 rounds of radiation over 3 weeks in October/November.

Now, Dr. K seems reluctant to prescribe anything beyond T/C for Jim, which is where Nancy's advocacy comes in for pain management, because Dr. K is ignoring me.

I want a blood draw on 1/31 by Nancy, in plenty of time for our 2/5 appointment for CT/MRI scans. But Dr. K wanted to wait until 2/4 to do the draw. So, Dr. K will receive an email via the health portal tomorrow from me describing why we need the draw on 1/31.

The scan and draw results should tell us what we need to know about Jim's condition.

Jim is able to make decisions, so if he says that he doesn't want to lose Nancy by going into hospice, or he doesn't want to go to the hospital, or have the tests, or whatever, that is what I will do for him.

After Jim overcame his anxiety about getting into John's RAV 4, and John helped him in and out of the car, Jim was fine. He was fine with waiting, fine with getting into the COU bed, fine with everything that transpired with his transfusion.

With the exception of the 5 days Jim spent in England after his mother passed in 1999, and his various hospital stays from 2016-April 9, 2019, I have been with Jim 24 hours/day every day for over 27 years. Of course, we were separated, when he was at the hospital at night with one of our sons, and I was at home taking care of our other son, and vice versa. But we always stayed in touch by phone.

So, I feel that I know and understand Jim very well.

Does Jim have to give up Nancy, who is an outstanding nurse, and our family member, for a stranger Hospice nurse to get Dr. K to agree to changing Jim's pain meds?

If Jim needs a saline IV, or TPN, which he'd refuse, Nancy can do that. There is very little that a hospice nurse can do that Nancy can't do. Our agency is struggling, and hospice nurses are not abundant. Circumstances often dictate how we proceed.

Who will be here at 1:45 a.m. to determine what Jim needs? If Jim is in Hospice, do I call a hospice nurse, or do I take care of the situation until I can reach a hospice nurse?

And who can do anything about Jim's Ascites? No one. He's been asked by several doctors and nurses about having his gut drained, and his answer is the same: what is the point, if the fluid returns in less than 24 hours? It's a lot to go through to be drained for minimal relief in a brief amount of time.

The fluid in his gut is what prevents him from eating more. He has an appetite, and food tastes good to him. Today, I made lovely falafel pita sandwiches, with my homemade tzatzi sauce. Cucumber, tomato, lettuce, black olives. Chock full so I couldn't add avocado. He scarfed it back and said it was delicious.

I ordered from Instacart today and got everything he wanted. Veggie hot dogs, veggie beer brats, a Field Roast celebration roast, cheese to go with his Branston pickle sandwiches, veggie deli meats to go with his Picalilly pickle sandwiches. Veggie ground for Shepherd's Pie and tacos. Organic asparagus. He asked for "snack foods" for Super Bowl Sunday.

He wants to eat and regain weight, but his gut is full of fluid, and he feels full. I'm going to try again with Orgain. I know he wants to drink that too. But he needs encouragement there by me.

Jim hasn't taken a T/C for 24 hours. He has taken Promethazine with Codeine cough syrup in small doses to quell his cough. Twice during the night, and about an hour ago, he took 3 ml, and the script is for 5 ml.

I haven't discussed hospice with Jim after seeing your post/link, because we're both very upset about Kobe. We will have that conversation, and then we'll talk with Nancy about it, when she visits for Jim's draw. I'll ask her directly, "What can hospice do for Jim that you can't?"

I may be relatively new to cancer, but I am not a novice where suffering and death are concerned. Michael was in hospice at the hospital; my godmother was in hospice at home; John's dad came home from an acute care facility with hospice and died 3 days later. My mother, who had a DNR, should have been in hospice, but she was still being treated and in horrid pain. I fought for her to receive hospice care, but my father was in charge, and he was unable to come to grips with losing her.

I'm not my father.

Speaking of my father, he died of a heart attack the day after his discharge from 6 weeks in the hospital after surgery to remove a cancerous tumor from his lung. My sister was in charge. She called me from ER (I live about 3 hours away), and told me that he'd been "zapped" five times, still no response. I asked to speak to the physician in charge, and she refused. I told her to "STOP!" My father had a DNR.

callyflower, I truly appreciate all of the guidance and advice you give to me. I have learned so much from you, and Jim and I are grateful to you for helping us on his journey. I hope and trust that you believe that I know what I'm doing as Jim's caregiver and advocate, and that I will never deny him whatever he needs to be comfortable or receive appropriate care.

Today, as I was making falafel, Jim asked me to get him the pedal exerciser. I told him that I had held off on buying one to be sure that he could use it. "I need something to exercise my legs, and I will use it. I know I'm weak now, but I want to get stronger. Choose the one you think is best and order it for me, please."

Jim isn't giving up. He'll know when that time arrives. Meanwhile, we are living every day with hope and love. We know and understand the ultimate outcome, but for now, we're just doing our day to day living. Preparing for blood draw, CT/MRI, Dr. S visit. Right now, that's all we can manage.

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

hey rose ,

i copied and pasted this so you could read it and because i think it might be helpful to a lot of people. i hope you don't mind .

Health Science
                          Waiting too long to use hospice care can make suffering at end-of-life worse

By Consumer Reports
                          December 10, 2017

Consumer Reports has no financial relationship with any advertisers on this site.

Many people who are near the end of life wait too long to enter hospice care, according to a recent study published in the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society.

In hospice care, attempts to cure a disease are usually replaced with treatments solely for pain and suffering, delivered by a specialized team. It usually includes medical and nursing care, counseling and social services, and it can be given at home, in a nursing home or in a hospital facility.

People who put off hospice care might spend months in and out of hospitals, with their families struggling to attend to them. "At some point, patients and their families and doctors realize that hospice is appropriate, but that happens perhaps later than it should," says study author Thomas Michael Gill, a professor of medicine, epidemiology and investigative medicine, and the Humana Foundation professor of geriatric medicine at Yale University. "When folks are referred to hospice only in the last days of their life, it's difficult to have a meaningful benefit."

For nearly 16 years, Gill and a team of researchers followed 754 people, all age 70 and older when the study began. More than 40 percent of the 562 people who died during the study entered hospice care during the last year of their lives, but the median time spent in hospice was less than two weeks.

Many of their most debilitating symptoms — including pain, nausea, depression and shortness of breath — decreased substantially only after hospice began. So, many might have been suffering needlessly for months, says Diane Meier, director of the Center to Advance Palliative Care and a professor of geriatrics and palliative medicine at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York.

Health crises, emergency-room visits and hospitalizations can become routine toward the end of life, "a very distressing and stressful experience for patients and family members," Meier says. "Remaining in your own home, a familiar place with familiar people, is safer and offers better quality of life."

What to know about hospice

Hospice has been covered by Medicare since 1982. Health-care providers have to certify that a patient is terminally ill (with six months or less to live) — which can be difficult to predict, Meier and Gill say. People can leave hospice at any time — because their condition stabilizes, for example, or they want to pursue curative treatments again. Hospice care can also be extended beyond six months.

"Many people are fearful that if they choose hospice, they won't be able to return to mainstream medicine should they improve or new treatments become available — that's not true," Meier says. "Hospice is not a one-way street."

And some evidence suggests that hospice patients live just as long as or even longer than similarly ill patients who are not in hospice.

When is it the right time?

People with terminal illnesses and their doctors should be having ongoing discussions about goals and priorities, Gill says — ideally long before hospice is broached.

"Often, patients will say, 'I'm more interested in the quality rather than the quantity of my remaining life,'" he says, and that can help inform future discussions about end-of-life care.

If you have not discussed hospice with a doctor, for yourself or a loved one, two signs suggest when it might be time to raise the topic, Meier says.

The first is when someone is having increasing difficulty with self-care, struggling with tasks such as walking, getting out of a chair, bathing, dressing and using the toilet. Hospice care is designed to help with all of those activities. The second is the presence of symptoms such as severe pain, shortness of breath, hopelessness, depression and profound fatigue. In hospice, "most of them can be improved or eliminated," Meier says.

"It's challenging to have honest discussions with patients and families about death and the dying process," Gill says. "But leaving the conversation until the very end makes it more difficult."

 Copyright 2017, Consumer Reports Inc.
                          Last edited by tic chick; 01-27-2020, 05:14 PM.
                          WE ARE BT!
                          "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
                          "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
                          "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

Comment

Thank you, Jeannie, for posting the article. I'm curious how hospice can "improve or eliminate" "profound fatigue." Dr. S told us that radiation would cause profound fatigue for perhaps as long as a year.

Jim is up all night usually, or he sleeps for a couple of hours. Then, he sleeps in the morning and afternoon for several hours. I wish it was the reverse, because I can't get anything done during the day, when he's sleeping.

Like today, for example. I had planned a variety of tasks to complete today, including making a Shepherd's Pie. The pie is time consuming to make, as there is lots of chopping, peeling, etc. I like to get started mid-afternoon with a big meal like this (or spaghetti, or a veggie roast), so that I can do the work in phases and take breaks to sit down to rest my back. Jim is still sleeping now at about 5 p.m., so that meal is not on tonight's menu.

When Jim woke from his morning nap, he requested a huge meal. When I mentioned that I was making the pie, he decreased the size to a cheese/veggie ham on toast (in broiler) topped with veggie baked beans and a "sloppy egg." He ate it with gusto.

An hour or so later, he was asleep again. I know he needs this sleep, of course. He has to get it when he can.

He hasn't had any Codeine for 14 hours, and he wasn't complaining of pain, when he was awake. He took his steroids, but he hasn't taken his Lasix yet. This is problematic, because he'll take it when he wakes up and be up all night again. He should be taking 40 mg a.m. and 20 mg p.m., but he isn't, because he's sleeping during those times. And once he takes Lasix, he is peeing constantly an hour after the dose.

Dr. K replied to my email, agreeing that Jim could have his blood draw on 1/31. He also said that there was a technical problem with loading Jim's blood test results onto the portal, so he is sending us a copy by snail mail.

While Jim was sleeping, I ordered a bamboo folding room divider/screen to place in front of our patio door. The morning sun blazes in, blinding Jim. He wears sunglasses until the sun moves out of our direct path.

I also ordered a pedal exerciser for Jim, which pleased him today. He is anxious to do some exercises to build up his muscle tone and increase his circulation. He wants to use it for his legs and arms. I give him many kudos for wanting to do this. Of course, being awake is a prerequisite.

REMEMBERING KOBE

To honor Jonathan's love for Kobe, I have been placing more Kobe items throughout Jon's room. If I bring out all of Jon's Kobe things, his room would be overflowing. So, I'm choosing special things, like Jon's Number 8 cap, (Kobe's first number on the Lakers; he later changed his number to 24).

I am compelled to watch on line tributes to Kobe from his friends and teammates, and I weep with all of them.

We watched Kobe mature into a caring, generous young man, with unbelievable dedication, persistence, and giving his all to everything during and after his basketball career.

He adored his daughters, and he remarked that his wife, Vanessa, wanted to have a boy, but he was proud to be a "girls' dad." He became a champion for girls and women in sports. His daughter, Gigi, who perished with him in the crash, insisted that she would carry on his legacy on the court. She certainly had the talent and her father's work ethic to accomplish anything.

Yesterday, the hosts of The View showed a clip of Kobe from a previous appearance on the show a few years ago. Kobe was seated on a sofa with two brothers, who have epilepsy, and their parents. The boys were involved in a charity to support epilepsy research, and Kobe was there to support them and their charity. Kobe said, "We have to take care of each other."

You can all imagine how this pulled on my heartstrings.

As more information comes in about the crash, my sadness increases. This was an avoidable accident. The LA Sheriff's Office grounded their helicopters on Sunday morning, because the fog was thick. Kobe's helicopter should have been grounded too. So what if you're late to the game? Use your cell phone to tell the other team you've been delayed by fog. Play the game after the fog lifts, or reschedule the game.

The helicopter pilot, with 19 years of experience, chose to fly with visual rather than instrument flying rules. (VFR and IFR) Once in the dense fog, he requested help from the tower to track the helicopter, but the tower replied that it was flying too low to track. The pilot elevated to 2,500 ft, but the helicopter suddenly fell downward and hit the foothills of Calabasas at 184 mph.

The fog eventually lifted, as it always does, thus giving light to the first responders to put out the fire and begin searching for survivors.

My heart just keeps breaking as I think about Vanessa, her daughters, her parents, Kobe's parents, and everyone, who was close to him and loved him.

And for the families, friends, loved ones of the other wonderful people on board that helicopter.

Thank you all so much for your love, prayers, and continuing support of us. We love you and pray for you and your loved ones everyday.

Love & Light,

Rose
                            Last edited by Earth Mother 2 Angels; 01-30-2020, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Rose, I hope all is well... Praying all the upcoming tests including todays blood draw goes smoothly.

The news of Kobe's death was such a shock and just so very sad. I agree the more we heard about it the more difficult it was. So many lives lost in what could have maybe been prevented had they waited it out.
                              Always in my thoughts and prayers.
                              Mary Grace

Comment

Mary Grace ~

Thank you so much for your prayers. We truly appreciate your care and concern for us.

Being quite familiar with California fog, I feel strongly that Kobe's helicopter should have been grounded. The NTSB is leaning toward the fog layer as the catalyst for the crash, with the pilot becoming disoriented.

JIM'S UPDATE

Coughing is problematic for Jim, which I asked Nancy to address today. She listened to his lungs, and while they were somewhat diminished (but not unusually so), she did not hear wheezing, rales, or any other unusual sounds. She ruled out bronchitis, pneumonia, particularly because he has no signs of infection.

I asked her if she thinks the fluid from Ascites is the problem, and she said, "Yes." Another reason why his heart rate is in the upper 80s, as with Jonathan, the fluid is pressing on his lungs and heart. I'm trying to get him back to the 40 mg Lasix a.m. and 20 mg p.m., but he is resistant. "I'm peeing enough." No, not when your gut is full of fluid. His gut is still 41", so that is unchanged.

The blood draw went smoothly, as always, because Nancy is so proficient.

She also checked the wounds on his bum cheeks. A new one occurred yesterday, which I immediately treated with Calmoseptine and an Optifoam pad. In one day, the new wound had improved greatly.

We think one of the causes for this could be the briefs he's been wearing for incontinence. He really isn't incontinent, as he gets up to go to the toilet or uses his bedside urinal. The roughness of the brief rubbed on his delicate skin causing breakdown. So, we switched to his regular underwear, and he is so much more comfortable.

We suspect that much of Jim's rib pain is the result of his coughing. When he isn't coughing, he doesn't feel significant pain. He is still taking no more than 2 T/C in 24 hours.

We have to wait now for the blood work results, and of course, we're anxious to know his hemoglobin, praying that the transfusion worked.

That's the latest news. We're hoping for a relaxing weekend and enjoying the Super Bowl.

We send our love and prayers to you, Mary Grace, and Kathleen and your beautiful family, and to all of our friends. Thank you for your love and support.

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

Working...
                                X