Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast

Thread: Jim's Journey

Distinguished Community Member

Rose I forgot to add that I have downloaded a couple of apps and it was nothing to it. I have Uber but haven’t used it yet. I am on Facebook so I put that on my phone. I can’t remember everything that I downloaded, but it is easy.

2. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rose I forgot to add that I have downloaded a couple of apps and it was nothing to it. I have Uber but haven’t used it yet. I am on Facebook so I put that on my phone. I can’t remember everything that I downloaded, but it is easy.
    True. Instagram works fantastically as an iPhone download and is easy to download. :)
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

4. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Hi Rose and everyone, I have had a great time catching up on all the tech talk and on everyone's news. Rose, I have an apple macbook pro laptop and I can plug it in using a cable if I want. We do have wifi in my house and I use my laptop on my lap instead of a desk which is much easier for me because of a pinched nerve in my neck(it hurts to raise my right arm). So this arrangement works for me. But every laptop will plug in if you want it to. If you get an Iphone, you can also use your phone as a 'hotspot' so your laptop can use your iphone signal as wifi. It uses more data, but if you have unlimited data on your phone plan, it won't matter. I use my iphone for wifi up north when I have no internet connection (but do have a phone connection) because I can't type on my phone - I am totally hopeless - the keyboard is too small and the autocorrect is a nightmare! It's so funny that we all have different problems or comfort zones.

I hope that everything goes well with Jim's scan - I know it will be hard for everyone, but thank goodness John will be there for you. I think it's a good idea to have him drive. I will be thinking of you all! We are all doing fine in our family - Nick is excited about the NHL season starting up soon. He has a new helper called Shantel whom he loves (and we do too - she had a sister with CP who passed away - she is so sensitive and funny and kind). Anyway, I'll write again more later! It's 9pm and I haven't had dinner yet LOL! xoxo Donna
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

6. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Rose and Her Computer Woes

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Virginia ~

Thank you for the reassurance about iPhone usage. Our mobile phone carrier doesn’t have the iPhone 6sPlus. It offers an iPhone 8 and iPhone 7. I think we need to call the carrier and ask questions. Smart/iPhones are so expensive!

I think I could figure out the basics, and John is always willing to tutor us on technology. He doesn’t have an iPhone, but there’s probably not a lot of difference in how the phones are used. We’ve been Apple users since Day One on computers. I find them very easy to understand, and I don’t have to mess with Windows.

We may have to change our carrier to yours, because ours is more expensive. We’ve been with them for many years, since our first cell phone. We joined them, because they aren’t/weren’t a giant corporation.

We aren’t wireless and don’t have WiFi. We’d prefer not to have either of those. John always says that he gets terrible reception in our neighborhood, or “up here” as he refers to it, since we live on a giant hill. He complained about that when he visited his parents, who lived 2 doors down from us for 20 years, and they had WiFi.

I wish I could just hand all of this over to a knowledgeable, trustworthy person with a list of what we do and don’t want. Get us a phone, get us a new Mac, gets us a Mac laptop for Jim, get us modems, any cables we need, and back up my old computer. I need to hire a geek!

funnylegs4 ~

You’re my on line geek! And I mean that with gratitude and love. I should be paying you!!

The external hard drive arrived. Prepare to chuckle: I couldn’t even figure out how to get it out of the box! Jim had to open it for me!

That happened to me, when I got my first Apple tiny screen computer. I was talking to a friend on the phone telling her I’d received it. She asked me what it was like, and I said, “I don’t know. I can’t figure out how to open the box!” Somehow, I managed to do it, since I was a single mom at the time.

I’m going to copy and paste your instructions, then put them in a list, so I can follow them better. I’ll print out the list to have on hand, while I go through the back up process.

You are being so incredibly helpful. Thank you so much.

BLOOD DRAW

All went well with the blood draw today.

Jim’s belly dropped from 39” to 36 3/4” today, but then went back up to 38”. Nancy said that our bowels are 2 miles long, so it can take awhile for our waste to travel the distance. Once you evacuate some, you make room for more to come in.

Vitals were are excellent, weight stable, and generally, Jim is feeling pretty good. Still has the nagging muscle pull, which Nancy agreed sounded like a muscle pull and not something happening with the tumor.

I wondered whether tumor pain would also be accompanied by other symptoms, like loss of appetite or super fatigue. She agreed that those kinds of symptoms would be expected. And, if the tumor wasn’t stable, or even possibly decreasing in size, his blood work wouldn’t be as stable as it has been for weeks now. And, Jim wouldn’t look as good as he does.

When she arrived, Jim greeted her with a cup of decaf espresso in one of my aunt’s tea cups (probably about 100 years old now). It was so nice that she could sit down, relax and chat with us, while sipping her coffee.

She is a blessing to our family, and we love her so much.

CT SCAN

Was scheduled today for 9/24 at 3:00 p.m. UGH! First available appointment. We see Dr. K on 9/27, so that’s going to be exhausting for Jim to have no time to recover from one, before the other arrives.

I may have to drive Jim, if John’s daughter has a game that afternoon. He and she would probably say he should take care of us, but we know how important these games are to her, him, the family, and us, as we’re part of the family. We even have t-shirts!

I think Jim and I might try a “dry run” of getting into the van, driving around the neighborhood, then coming home and getting out and going into the house.

We have had a heat wave with high humidity (77% this morning, which is oppressive for us). Next week cooler temperatures, and that may be the time to do our dry run. I would prefer to have John’s help to steady Jim if he needs it. We’ll talk to him next week, when he visits. We have a lot to discuss.

Thank you all so much for your help and guidance, your love, prayers, support and friendship. We love you and pray for you and your loved ones.

Love & Light,

Rose

P.S. I LOVE MY NEW KEYBOARD AND SPACE AGE MOUSE! Works great, easy to use, and I’m so pleased I found this, after searching through so many options.
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

8. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post

Virginia ~

Thank you for the reassurance about iPhone usage. Our mobile phone carrier doesn’t have the iPhone 6sPlus. It offers an iPhone 8 and iPhone 7. I think we need to call the carrier and ask questions. Smart/iPhones are so expensive!

I think I could figure out the basics, and John is always willing to tutor us on technology. He doesn’t have an iPhone, but there’s probably not a lot of difference in how the phones are used. We’ve been Apple users since Day One on computers. I find them very easy to understand, and I don’t have to mess with Windows.

We may have to change our carrier to yours, because ours is more expensive. We’ve been with them for many years, since our first cell phone. We joined them, because they aren’t/weren’t a giant corporation.

We aren’t wireless and don’t have WiFi. We’d prefer not to have either of those. John always says that he gets terrible reception in our neighborhood, or “up here” as he refers to it, since we live on a giant hill. He complained about that when he visited his parents, who lived 2 doors down from us for 20 years, and they had WiFi.

I wish I could just hand all of this over to a knowledgeable, trustworthy person with a list of what we do and don’t want. Get us a phone, get us a new Mac, gets us a Mac laptop for Jim, get us modems, any cables we need, and back up my old computer. I need to hire a geek!

funnylegs4 ~

You’re my on line geek! And I mean that with gratitude and love. I should be paying you!!

The external hard drive arrived. Prepare to chuckle: I couldn’t even figure out how to get it out of the box! Jim had to open it for me!

That happened to me, when I got my first Apple tiny screen computer. I was talking to a friend on the phone telling her I’d received it. She asked me what it was like, and I said, “I don’t know. I can’t figure out how to open the box!” Somehow, I managed to do it, since I was a single mom at the time.

I’m going to copy and paste your instructions, then put them in a list, so I can follow them better. I’ll print out the list to have on hand, while I go through the back up process.

You are being so incredibly helpful. Thank you so much.

BLOOD DRAW

All went well with the blood draw today.

Jim’s belly dropped from 39” to 36 3/4” today, but then went back up to 38”. Nancy said that our bowels are 2 miles long, so it can take awhile for our waste to travel the distance. Once you evacuate some, you make room for more to come in.

Vitals were are excellent, weight stable, and generally, Jim is feeling pretty good. Still has the nagging muscle pull, which Nancy agreed sounded like a muscle pull and not something happening with the tumor.

I wondered whether tumor pain would also be accompanied by other symptoms, like loss of appetite or super fatigue. She agreed that those kinds of symptoms would be expected. And, if the tumor wasn’t stable, or even possibly decreasing in size, his blood work wouldn’t be as stable as it has been for weeks now. And, Jim wouldn’t look as good as he does.

When she arrived, Jim greeted her with a cup of decaf espresso in one of my aunt’s tea cups (probably about 100 years old now). It was so nice that she could sit down, relax and chat with us, while sipping her coffee.

She is a blessing to our family, and we love her so much.

CT SCAN

Was scheduled today for 9/24 at 3:00 p.m. UGH! First available appointment. We see Dr. K on 9/27, so that’s going to be exhausting for Jim to have no time to recover from one, before the other arrives.

I may have to drive Jim, if John’s daughter has a game that afternoon. He and she would probably say he should take care of us, but we know how important these games are to her, him, the family, and us, as we’re part of the family. We even have t-shirts!

I think Jim and I might try a “dry run” of getting into the van, driving around the neighborhood, then coming home and getting out and going into the house.

We have had a heat wave with high humidity (77% this morning, which is oppressive for us). Next week cooler temperatures, and that may be the time to do our dry run. I would prefer to have John’s help to steady Jim if he needs it. We’ll talk to him next week, when he visits. We have a lot to discuss.

Thank you all so much for your help and guidance, your love, prayers, support and friendship. We love you and pray for you and your loved ones.

Love & Light,

Rose

P.S. I LOVE MY NEW KEYBOARD AND SPACE AGE MOUSE! Works great, easy to use, and I’m so pleased I found this, after searching through so many options.
    Hi Rose,

You’re very welcome! Thank you! I’v been called a computer geek on more than one occasion and I take the term as a great compliment! You can send me a check. LOL. Kidding!!! I’m happy to do this for you for free! Yes feel free to copy and print anything I say that helps you. No worries I couldn’t open the package for the external drive either because I’m spastic and those packages are not user friendly. Don’t feel bad.

About the external drive: My fellow geek friend reminded me we had to format the external drive for Mac using “Disk Utility” like this https://www.seagate.com/manuals/back...-partitioning/ See the part for Mac format. This formatting ensures Time Machine works properly. Format before using Time Machine!

If you guys need a new phone without going to Smart Phone or wifi, this is my phone model https://www.amazon.com/Alcatel-OneTo.../dp/B00O15E9WK which has large buttons and easy features.

Yes I would highly suggest a trial run for the driving. I pray Jim will be just fine during both appointments. Glad the keyboard works!!
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

10. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

((((((Donna)))))) ~

You posted, while I was composing my reply, so I missed you!

Thank you for sharing your Mac laptop experience.

I'm endeavoring to understand the technicalities of it all. I looked up WiFi and found this:

https://computer.howstuffworks.com/w...s-network1.htm

For me, this might as well have been written in a foreign language or hieroglyphics.

Do I need to get a wireless router to have WiFi? How do I know which one is best?

Why am I so utterly inept at all of this? Children understand this stuff better than I do.

I hope that John will be able to help us with transportation too. We'll find out next week, when he visits.

I'm so happy that Nick loves Shantel and vice versa. And I'm happy for Nick that hockey season is on its way. Right now baseball, football, golf, soccer, and motorcycle racing are the top sports draws in our home. But we'll root for Nick's Senators from afar.

We send you, Jim, Nick, Natalie, and your family our love and prayers as always.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

12. The following user says "thanks"

Blog Entries

funnylegs4 ~

This morning, when I turned on the Mac, it took longer than usual for it to get to my password page. I got the swirling beach ball, but then it suddenly came up. Mid morning, I shut down the computer for an hour or so. I've been putting it on "Sleep" to keep it cool, when I'm not using it, but I thought it needed to be shut down.

When I returned 1 1/2 hours later, I turned on the Mac, and it was weird. Just a white screen, with flashes of black periodically, and the spinning "gear," which indicates it's ready to bring up the password page. Then a black flash on the screen and back to white.

I tried to shut down the computer, using the side button, but it wouldn't shut down.

I told Jim that I thought our Mac had finally had enough. I decided to leave it for awhile and watch the football game with Jim. If it hadn't recovered, I was ready to call Apple support for advice.

When I returned, the password page was up, and here I am.

Questions about the back up process:

While the external hard drive is backing up everything for a few hours, will I be able to use the computer?

Can I put the computer in sleep mode to avoid it getting too hot, while the hard drive is working?

How do I know when the hard drive is finished copying?

The drive's instructions state that I have to download the Paragon drive before I can start. It gives me the Seagate site to do that.

Thank you so much for your help. I'd be completely lost without you!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Last edited by Earth Mother 2 Angels; 09-07-2019 at 11:35 AM.

14. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Funny Legs, looks exactly like the flip phone that I had and fought so long giving up. I got iPhone in order to have GPS. That was the only way I could get Uber which I was afraid I would need. Loved that flip phone, but now getting use to this one.

16. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post

funnylegs4 ~

This morning, when I turned on the Mac, it took longer than usual for it to get to my password page. I got the swirling beach ball, but then it suddenly came up. Mid morning, I shut down the computer for an hour or so. I've been putting it on "Sleep" to keep it cool, when I'm not using it, but I thought it needed to be shut down.

When I returned 1 1/2 hours later, I turned on the Mac, and it was weird. Just a white screen, with flashes of black periodically, and the spinning "gear," which indicates it's ready to bring up the password page. Then a black flash on the screen and back to white.

I tried to shut down the computer, using the side button, but it wouldn't shut down.

I told Jim that I thought our Mac had finally had enough. I decided to leave it for awhile and watch the football game with Jim. If it hadn't recovered, I was ready to call Apple support for advice.

When I returned, the password page was up, and here I am.

Questions about the back up process:

While the external hard drive is backing up everything for a few hours, will I be able to use the computer?

Can I put the computer in sleep mode to avoid it getting too hot, while the hard drive is working?

How do I know when the hard drive is finished copying?

The drive's instructions state that I have to download the Paragon drive before I can start. It gives me the Seagate site to do that.

Thank you so much for your help. I'd be completely lost without you!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Hi Rose,

The flashes of white and black may mean you have a virus. Old Macs can get viruses whereas the new ones are usually protected. A lot of Mac updates are security updates for that reason. I also shut my Mac down completely instead of using the sleep function. The sleep function takes more power out of the computer than shut down so my general understanding is that shut down is healthier and speeds the cooling process. I could be wrong about “sleep” and computers though.

Yes you can use the computer and put it into sleep mode during Time Machine as far as I know. I NEVER shut down during Time Machine operation!!! Time Machine will show a gray pop up with the progress of the backup and when the backup is complete. The external drive itself has a light on it that may blink at times which is normal. I think Paragon drive is for if you want to be able to archive/backup both Mac and Windows. I never downloaded Paragon drive into my current drive as far as I remember. I’m not sure. You can download Paragon drive or just format for Mac only. (I think!).
    Don’t worry I don’t “get” that wifi link either LOL.

Virginia: Neat that we are flip phone twins! I don't use Uber so I think I will hold onto mine. I once met a guy who asked where I got the flip phone because he hated smart phone and wanted my flip phone model for his birthday LOL.
    Last edited by funnylegs4; 09-07-2019 at 04:38 PM.

18. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

I was in the midst of a reply, and suddenly my browser shut down, but here I am again after a brief moment.

Anyway, the black/white flashes happen after I turn on my computer, while I'm waiting for it to get to the password page so I can log in. Could a virus cause that problem? How do I get rid of that virus?

I've written down the information to call Apple Support and our local Apple Store. I'll call them in that order, so I have a better idea of the potential status of our Mac now.

I've been running the fan into the office to keep it cool, and I've been putting the computer to Sleep, and it's stayed very cool today. I'm afraid to shut it down again, because of the difficulty I had today twice after I shut it down.

I'm calling Apple Support tomorrow. Meanwhile, I think I need to leave the computer on. It does cool down, even when I don't put it to sleep. It goes to sleep itself, as the screen goes black, and when I return, the computer is cool, I click on the mouse and up everything comes. I am closing out of all sites now, before I put the Mac to sleep.

Now, I've become a careprovider for a computer! This is ... agh ... my life. I have to have a computer or a smart phone to do what I need to do for our family. So this is a priority now.

Oh, and I was called to jury duty. For many years, I have been excused from jury duty, because I was my sons' careprovider. I filled out the juror form on line today, and my excuse request was careproviding for my husband. I need a working computer during a 10 day period to know whether it was accepted or denied.

Until April, I was employed as Jonathan's caregiver, but because he is my son, the court excused me. I've prepared an appeal, if necessary, but again, I need a computer to do that.

In the early '80s, I reported for jury duty, hoping not to be called. I was impaneled and interrogated by both the prosecutor and the defense attorney. I was dismissed by both of them. The prosecution didn't like me, because I was a teacher, counselor, had disabled children. The defense didn't like me because I had family members and close friends in law enforcement. When I returned to the giant jury waiting room, I asked the person in charge to dismiss me permanently.

"I can't change my life or heritage. I'm never going to be called to serve. I'm a single mother, and my sons are disabled and often have to be hospitalized. If something happens to them, I won't be here. I'll leave in the middle of a trial. I'll disrupt everything. Please dismiss me permanently."

She did. She looked at me stunned and said, "I can't argue with any of that. Dismissed."

Here I am all these decades later with the same response to jury duty: "I can't do it. Someone depends upon me for everything."

Should the time come, when that isn't the case, I will be too grief stricken, old, worn out and devastated to serve on a jury or anywhere.

I'd better post this, before I lose it again.

Thank you all for your love, prayers, advice, and constant support. We love you and pray for you and your loved ones.

Love & Light,

Rose

20. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast