Page 8 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131838 ... LastLast

Thread: Jim's Journey

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Ahhhh Rose, none of this should be this difficult - the computer, the jury duty - everything! It's crazy making that these life problems get in the way of your caring for Jim and for yourself. I posted this message to you earlier but then it disappeared because I hadn't logged in for a while:
    Hi dear Rose,
    I think if you don't want a wireless router (yes, you need one in order to have wifi in your house - usually your internet provider installs one for you - just ask them to if you decide to go that route). But if you want the convenience of wifi and don't want a router, then you could trade in your Ipad for one that has '3G' (ie. it works like a cell phone, so the billing is according to the data package you buy with a phone provider). But then Jim could have it with him for appointments while he waits and he would have something to do. Also, you could call him and see him/his doctor over the Ipad during appointments if you weren't with him for some reason. So, long story short, some models of the Ipad work just like a phone. https://itstillworks.com/3g-mean-ipad-1147.html. xox Donna
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

2. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

I was in the midst of a reply, and suddenly my browser shut down, but here I am again after a brief moment.

Anyway, the black/white flashes happen after I turn on my computer, while I'm waiting for it to get to the password page so I can log in. Could a virus cause that problem? How do I get rid of that virus?

I've written down the information to call Apple Support and our local Apple Store. I'll call them in that order, so I have a better idea of the potential status of our Mac now.

I've been running the fan into the office to keep it cool, and I've been putting the computer to Sleep, and it's stayed very cool today. I'm afraid to shut it down again, because of the difficulty I had today twice after I shut it down.

I'm calling Apple Support tomorrow. Meanwhile, I think I need to leave the computer on. It does cool down, even when I don't put it to sleep. It goes to sleep itself, as the screen goes black, and when I return, the computer is cool, I click on the mouse and up everything comes. I am closing out of all sites now, before I put the Mac to sleep.

Now, I've become a careprovider for a computer! This is ... agh ... my life. I have to have a computer or a smart phone to do what I need to do for our family. So this is a priority now.

Oh, and I was called to jury duty. For many years, I have been excused from jury duty, because I was my sons' careprovider. I filled out the juror form on line today, and my excuse request was careproviding for my husband. I need a working computer during a 10 day period to know whether it was accepted or denied.

Until April, I was employed as Jonathan's caregiver, but because he is my son, the court excused me. I've prepared an appeal, if necessary, but again, I need a computer to do that.

In the early '80s, I reported for jury duty, hoping not to be called. I was impaneled and interrogated by both the prosecutor and the defense attorney. I was dismissed by both of them. The prosecution didn't like me, because I was a teacher, counselor, had disabled children. The defense didn't like me because I had family members and close friends in law enforcement. When I returned to the giant jury waiting room, I asked the person in charge to dismiss me permanently.

"I can't change my life or heritage. I'm never going to be called to serve. I'm a single mother, and my sons are disabled and often have to be hospitalized. If something happens to them, I won't be here. I'll leave in the middle of a trial. I'll disrupt everything. Please dismiss me permanently."

She did. She looked at me stunned and said, "I can't argue with any of that. Dismissed."

Here I am all these decades later with the same response to jury duty: "I can't do it. Someone depends upon me for everything."

Should the time come, when that isn't the case, I will be too grief stricken, old, worn out and devastated to serve on a jury or anywhere.

I'd better post this, before I lose it again.

Thank you all for your love, prayers, advice, and constant support. We love you and pray for you and your loved ones.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Hi Rose,

I’m not too familiar with viruses on computers but other people told me flashes could mean a virus. I’m not sure how one gets rid of a virus. Your best bet is to call Apple. If you have a virus and can’t update your software Apple will likely tell you to either go to a computer repair person or tell you to buy a new Mac. If you go for the repair option Best Buy has “Geek Squad” repair and the ability to back up your hard drive into your external drive without Time Machine if necessary. If you backup without Time Machine your files will be backed up but not your software applications like safari. Yes if the problem occurs when you shut down leave it on. Frankly, I think getting a new Mac would be more helpful to you, rather than a repair, because you’ll have a computer faster.

I would suggest backing up with Time Machine now if you are having these kinds of issues because one of my Macs completely died after a while I.e never to be turned on again, so you might want to salvage what you can, while you still can, out of the Mac.

Yes it seems jury duty comes up at the most inconvenient times. The reasons for the prosecutor and the defense attorney disliking you did give me a little laugh though. So sorry all this is happening now! My prayers to you!

Yes Donna’s right, I once saw my friend use 3G on iPad to access google drive when we were in an area that had zero wifi. 3G is good if you don’t want the modems or if you want something more mobile in addition to ethernet modems.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

4. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Smile

:) I had been stuck on page one and missed all these updates. My memory is not great anyway.

I have a Samsung Android phone but I am thinking of getting a Jitterbug, which is a flip phone from Best Buy or Rite Aid pharmacy. It has an emergency button. I think it is only $10 or $15 a month. Jeanie :)

6. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Smile We Got A 3G iPad!

Donna ~

WOW! Did you ever save the day for us! Thank you so much for telling me about 3G iPads. I read the link, then I went to our mobile provider's site. They have an iPad. I started the on line chat and asked, "Does your iPad offer a 3G option?" The answer was "YES!"

So, I called our provider, and a very sweet, articulate, and pleasant woman helped me. I ordered the iPad. It will be here on Wednesday! We can start using it immediately!

For now, we're going to skip the Smart/iPhone and keep the one we have. We only use it for calling each other, when we're apart, or calling John, and texting. Our new plan gives us unlimited talk and text on the phone, which is 1/2 the price we'd been paying previously. So that is good.

With the iPad, I will have access to the internet, should the computer fail, before I can get a new one. That's important so that I can order from Instacart, communicate on Jim's health portal, communicate on BT, use my webmail, order supplies or whatever, etc.

I shared all of this with the very nice woman, who helped me. I even told her that Jim has cancer. And why we don't want wireless or WiFi because of the electromagnetic field. Imagine how much EMF we had with all of Jon's equipment going all of the time. His bed, his mattress, O2 concentrator, suction machine, TV, cable, lift. She was so sweet, and she said, "I can certainly understand your concerns."

Jim asked me if I had a new best friend, when I got off of the phone. I'm all jazzed, because we solved a lingering, nagging problem, which has been keeping me awake, literally at night.

I'm expecting a stress rash to break out any day now.

When I told Jim about the 3G iPad, he was over the moon. I told him he can go to Netflix and watch all of the great stuff I've been watching through the years, and we can watch together on his iPad. Jim exclaimed, "Oh, I have lots of places I want to go!"

I know he misses playing solitaire on line, which goes along with his love of crosswords. His Crosswords book will remain a bathroom pastime, and iPad will be hanging out in the living room time. His memory has improved since he's been doing crosswords, and he's enjoying it so much. I know he'll brighten up with internet access.

But he also wants to visit music sites, Native American flute sites, travel sites, and look up anything that pops up in his head.

So, thank you, thank you, thank you, Donna for this information, which just made our lives better and easier!

funnylegs4 ~

I definitely want a new computer, not to repair the old one. If I'm investing in a computer, it's going to be a new one, with the latest of everything, and I will vow to it to keep its OS updated. I will also vow to it to keep it backed up once a month.

I've been using Sleep mode, and when I got up this morning, one tap of the mouse, and there she was. I refer to our computer as female. She has been put through the wringer, and she has stamina and determination. She's in menopause now, so she's having hot flashes.

Like me, she's been too busy taking care of business to take care of herself. Of course, she depends upon me to take care of her. So, she's a reflection of me. Except I am well past menopause, but I still have hot flashes and sweat when the humidity hits 77% like it did a few days ago.

But I'm giving her TLC now. She gets to take lots of naps. She has been cool as a cucumber all day.

I didn't get a chance to call Apple today, because I was busy with the iPad adventure.

I also haven't had a chance to start the back up on the hard drive. I'm starting to feel nervous and confused about doing it. I received an email from Amazon, which offered providing the services of a geek to come to our home and do it for us.

Jim's WBC and RBC are low, and he needs another test this week, per Dr. K. It's not a good time for a stranger to come into our home for hours to do this task. It's not convenient for us, given Jim's on/off sleeping, his constant bathroom breaks, our feeding schedule, etc. I know it should be a great solution, but it's not for us. The office is in utter chaos as I continue to clean out for the termite extermination.

I spent a good part of the day, while Jim was sleeping, working in the office, tossing big folders of information as old as 2006 pertaining to our home and van insurance. I have kitchen garbage bags full of stuff for shredding, envelopes containing photos, a bag of Meds that need to be discarded, and it's a disorganized mess. I don't want anyone to come in here! And I do not have the energy to get all of this done in a few hours. Or a day. Or even a week at this point.

So, I have to give this back up process the old college try, following your very good instructions, and the video I need to re-watch about using Time Machine, and whatever prompts I get during the process. I should be okay. But this stuff stresses me out!

I woke up at 2:45 after about 2 1/2 hours of sleep, and I heard the clunking sound of the fountain in Michael's pond indicating that the water level was low. I just laid there until I got up at 6:30, listening to it, thinking about the computer and everything on my TO DO list, worrying about Jim's blood test results, missing Jonathan and Michael, praying for all of you and our dear friends, several of whom are confronting a potential health crisis too right now.

Jim only had a couple of hours sleep too, but he watched golf and made himself a sandwich. He was so quiet, and I didn't hear him, believing that he was sleeping. I could have come downstairs to share our insomnia. However, I need to be prone for a few hours and use my heating pad on my back and hips to be able to function everyday. At least I am doing a semblance of resting. TV would just annoy me.

After my morning walk, I watered the plants in the backyard and filled the pond. No more chunking motor sounds tonight.

Thank you and everyone, who is sending positive energy to us and our "devices," which are responding well at this point to your good thoughts.

Jeanie ~

You just lived through another hurricane and dragged your trash bin out to the curb in your scooter, Jeanie. Don't you worry about a thing. You are just fine! In fact, you are awesome! You caught up in time for some good news!

Please keep taking excellent care of yourself, Jeanie. I know how much you want to go to your reunion, and Jim and I are rooting for you!

Thank you all for your continuing love, prayers, support, and friendship, and remember that you and your loved ones are always in our prayers.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Donna ~

WOW! Did you ever save the day for us! Thank you so much for telling me about 3G iPads. I read the link, then I went to our mobile provider's site. They have an iPad. I started the on line chat and asked, "Does your iPad offer a 3G option?" The answer was "YES!"

So, I called our provider, and a very sweet, articulate, and pleasant woman helped me. I ordered the iPad. It will be here on Wednesday! We can start using it immediately!

For now, we're going to skip the Smart/iPhone and keep the one we have. We only use it for calling each other, when we're apart, or calling John, and texting. Our new plan gives us unlimited talk and text on the phone, which is 1/2 the price we'd been paying previously. So that is good.

With the iPad, I will have access to the internet, should the computer fail, before I can get a new one. That's important so that I can order from Instacart, communicate on Jim's health portal, communicate on BT, use my webmail, order supplies or whatever, etc.

I shared all of this with the very nice woman, who helped me. I even told her that Jim has cancer. And why we don't want wireless or WiFi because of the electromagnetic field. Imagine how much EMF we had with all of Jon's equipment going all of the time. His bed, his mattress, O2 concentrator, suction machine, TV, cable, lift. She was so sweet, and she said, "I can certainly understand your concerns."

Jim asked me if I had a new best friend, when I got off of the phone. I'm all jazzed, because we solved a lingering, nagging problem, which has been keeping me awake, literally at night.

I'm expecting a stress rash to break out any day now.

When I told Jim about the 3G iPad, he was over the moon. I told him he can go to Netflix and watch all of the great stuff I've been watching through the years, and we can watch together on his iPad. Jim exclaimed, "Oh, I have lots of places I want to go!"

I know he misses playing solitaire on line, which goes along with his love of crosswords. His Crosswords book will remain a bathroom pastime, and iPad will be hanging out in the living room time. His memory has improved since he's been doing crosswords, and he's enjoying it so much. I know he'll brighten up with internet access.

But he also wants to visit music sites, Native American flute sites, travel sites, and look up anything that pops up in his head.

So, thank you, thank you, thank you, Donna for this information, which just made our lives better and easier!

funnylegs4 ~

I definitely want a new computer, not to repair the old one. If I'm investing in a computer, it's going to be a new one, with the latest of everything, and I will vow to it to keep its OS updated. I will also vow to it to keep it backed up once a month.

I've been using Sleep mode, and when I got up this morning, one tap of the mouse, and there she was. I refer to our computer as female. She has been put through the wringer, and she has stamina and determination. She's in menopause now, so she's having hot flashes.

Like me, she's been too busy taking care of business to take care of herself. Of course, she depends upon me to take care of her. So, she's a reflection of me. Except I am well past menopause, but I still have hot flashes and sweat when the humidity hits 77% like it did a few days ago.

But I'm giving her TLC now. She gets to take lots of naps. She has been cool as a cucumber all day.

I didn't get a chance to call Apple today, because I was busy with the iPad adventure.

I also haven't had a chance to start the back up on the hard drive. I'm starting to feel nervous and confused about doing it. I received an email from Amazon, which offered providing the services of a geek to come to our home and do it for us.

Jim's WBC and RBC are low, and he needs another test this week, per Dr. K. It's not a good time for a stranger to come into our home for hours to do this task. It's not convenient for us, given Jim's on/off sleeping, his constant bathroom breaks, our feeding schedule, etc. I know it should be a great solution, but it's not for us. The office is in utter chaos as I continue to clean out for the termite extermination.

I spent a good part of the day, while Jim was sleeping, working in the office, tossing big folders of information as old as 2006 pertaining to our home and van insurance. I have kitchen garbage bags full of stuff for shredding, envelopes containing photos, a bag of Meds that need to be discarded, and it's a disorganized mess. I don't want anyone to come in here! And I do not have the energy to get all of this done in a few hours. Or a day. Or even a week at this point.

So, I have to give this back up process the old college try, following your very good instructions, and the video I need to re-watch about using Time Machine, and whatever prompts I get during the process. I should be okay. But this stuff stresses me out!

I woke up at 2:45 after about 2 1/2 hours of sleep, and I heard the clunking sound of the fountain in Michael's pond indicating that the water level was low. I just laid there until I got up at 6:30, listening to it, thinking about the computer and everything on my TO DO list, worrying about Jim's blood test results, missing Jonathan and Michael, praying for all of you and our dear friends, several of whom are confronting a potential health crisis too right now.

Jim only had a couple of hours sleep too, but he watched golf and made himself a sandwich. He was so quiet, and I didn't hear him, believing that he was sleeping. I could have come downstairs to share our insomnia. However, I need to be prone for a few hours and use my heating pad on my back and hips to be able to function everyday. At least I am doing a semblance of resting. TV would just annoy me.

After my morning walk, I watered the plants in the backyard and filled the pond. No more chunking motor sounds tonight.

Thank you and everyone, who is sending positive energy to us and our "devices," which are responding well at this point to your good thoughts.

Jeanie ~

You just lived through another hurricane and dragged your trash bin out to the curb in your scooter, Jeanie. Don't you worry about a thing. You are just fine! In fact, you are awesome! You caught up in time for some good news!

Please keep taking excellent care of yourself, Jeanie. I know how much you want to go to your reunion, and Jim and I are rooting for you!

Thank you all for your continuing love, prayers, support, and friendship, and remember that you and your loved ones are always in our prayers.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Hi Rose,

Excellent! So glad you scored an iPad! My friend with the stroke was able to operate an iPad just fine very early on in his recovery when he was still very weak and somewhat out of it, so I have no doubt Jim will be able to operate it easily. iPad is so much better than iPhone for what Jim wants. Yay!!

I like how you personify your Mac. I agree, a new Mac would be the way to go. The backup is simpler than even I thought it would be when I did it. You are probably overthinking it. As soon as you click in the right places the computer does the work for you.
    What confuses you about the backup? The formatting? Or Time Machine? I would love to help more if you let me know? Can you have Apple or Amazon help you by phone??

My prayers continue.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

10. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

funnylegs4 ~

I always get nervous, when I have to do anything computer-related, which is unfamiliar to me. I become stressed, because I don't want to mess it up, do the wrong thing, or encounter something that I don't understand.

The friend, who used to help me with things like this, sometimes was impatient, when I got flustered. The last time was when we were setting me up to use FaceTime. It took nearly 2 hours. It was a mangled mess, and I didn't have that time to spare. I didn't even want to use FaceTime, and I haven't since then. That's mostly because I don't have opportunities to talk on the phone, let alone on FaceTime. With Jon and Jim, one of them was always sleeping, so I had to time important calls around them. Now, Jim sleeps at odd times of the day, and that limits my phone time.

As it did today, when I didn't get to call Apple Support. After two sleep-deprived days, Jim finally slept for 6 straight hours last night/this morning, waking up late. After breakfast, he napped again for several hours. Then, it was time for his shower, lunch, clean up, bringing in supplies from the garage, etc. And, we watched the 1951 movie, "An American in Paris," singing along and admiring the graceful and magnificent dancing of Gene Kelly and Leslie Caron.

I know that I must get this back up done, and I will. It's just that I have to do it within restricted time limits, because we have a life going on here, and I'm doing pretty much everything. During the movie, I made lunch and cleaned up the kitchen afterward. Then, I just sat with Jim enjoying the movie and relaxing with him. That felt good for both of us.

This morning at 4:00, I woke up with intestinal distress, which kept me in/out of the bathroom until 7:00. Jim slept through all of that. I needed to eat something, have our fresh squeezed orange juice, and my decaf. But Jim kept sleeping, so I waited.

I will be surprised, if I don't have a blazing red rash in a few days. I hope I don't, but it will be a surprise.

JIM'S BLOOD TESTS

Dr. K's nurse called today to tell me that Dr. K wants Jim to come in to the medical lab for a blood draw for CBC, iron and ferritin levels. I called her back, when Jim woke up and reminded her that Jim has a home health nurse, who has been drawing his blood for 5 months. Was there a reason for Jim to go to the medical center for this draw? She said, "No. I'll call home health with the doctor's orders."

I know that they are overloaded, because there are so many baby boomers with cancer. The traffic in the cancer center is unbelievable. But Dr. K gets a full report from Nancy every 2 weeks. It's in Jim's chart. I don't know why he told his nurse to call to tell me to bring in Jim. It's a basic blood draw. Nancy is an expert, and she handles his port like it's old hat. She's an IV nurse, and she teaches other nurses how to do IVs. She gives home infusions. You know, we have the BEST nurse in that agency bar none.

I checked the level of hemoglobin indicating a need for blood transfusion. It's in the 7-8 range, and Jim's hemoglobin is 7.6. It has gradually dropped from 9.2 in 8 weeks. If Jim needs a transfusion, I would guess that he'd have to go to the hospital for it, so he could be monitored. Nancy could and would monitor him, as she does for infusions, but if there was an urgent problem, at the hospital, he'd get immediate attention.

Jonathan and Michael had numerous blood transfusions, and every one of them was concerning, because we take nothing for granted. I always told my boys that some wonderful people gave their own blood to save their lives, and then we'd pray and give thanks for them and ask that they live long and happy lives.

Then I would pray for only positive outcomes, the nourishment of their bodies with the blood of people, who truly cared about others with their gift.

So, if Jim needs a blood transfusion at the hospital, we'll go there and do that. He had a platelet transfusion in April, and his platelets continue to climb. Of course, he's had numerous infusions with chemo and Opdivo. I just don't want him to have to go through the exertion involved in getting ready, going in, up and down off of a bed, needing to go to the bathroom constantly. This is exhausting just to contemplate.

But, we'll have the iPad to take with us for distraction. I have already decided that if he's hospitalized, I will bring in the iPad during the day, when I visit with him, and take it home at night, to charge it and keep it safe. Things can disappear, and sometimes Jim can forget where he put something.

BACK TO THE BACK UP

Here is the link to the video I watched three times on how to set up Time Machine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGJRJv9J7ws

At 2:27, he talks about a question about Time Machine Back Up. Does this pertain to me? This part confused me.

It sounds like he leaves the external hard drive plugged in all the time.

I am going to call Apple Support first, hoping that their tech will assist me over the phone step by step. The Apple tech, who tried to help me, when my email failed, was ready to spend hours on the phone with me backing up the computer, then stripping it down, then replacing data, so that I could update the OS.

I still have his direct number, but that was a few years ago, and he’s likely moved on to another job. I could try though, who knows?

So, that’s my long story for today.

Thank you so much for helping me with all of this funnylegs4. And all of you, who have given me such great guidance and advice and encouragement. I love you all.

Many prayers on the way for you and your loved ones, and thank you for your love, prayers, and never-ending support.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

12. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

funnylegs4 ~

I always get nervous, when I have to do anything computer-related, which is unfamiliar to me. I become stressed, because I don't want to mess it up, do the wrong thing, or encounter something that I don't understand.

The friend, who used to help me with things like this, sometimes was impatient, when I got flustered. The last time was when we were setting me up to use FaceTime. It took nearly 2 hours. It was a mangled mess, and I didn't have that time to spare. I didn't even want to use FaceTime, and I haven't since then. That's mostly because I don't have opportunities to talk on the phone, let alone on FaceTime. With Jon and Jim, one of them was always sleeping, so I had to time important calls around them. Now, Jim sleeps at odd times of the day, and that limits my phone time.

As it did today, when I didn't get to call Apple Support. After two sleep-deprived days, Jim finally slept for 6 straight hours last night/this morning, waking up late. After breakfast, he napped again for several hours. Then, it was time for his shower, lunch, clean up, bringing in supplies from the garage, etc. And, we watched the 1951 movie, "An American in Paris," singing along and admiring the graceful and magnificent dancing of Gene Kelly and Leslie Caron.

I know that I must get this back up done, and I will. It's just that I have to do it within restricted time limits, because we have a life going on here, and I'm doing pretty much everything. During the movie, I made lunch and cleaned up the kitchen afterward. Then, I just sat with Jim enjoying the movie and relaxing with him. That felt good for both of us.

This morning at 4:00, I woke up with intestinal distress, which kept me in/out of the bathroom until 7:00. Jim slept through all of that. I needed to eat something, have our fresh squeezed orange juice, and my decaf. But Jim kept sleeping, so I waited.

I will be surprised, if I don't have a blazing red rash in a few days. I hope I don't, but it will be a surprise.

JIM'S BLOOD TESTS

Dr. K's nurse called today to tell me that Dr. K wants Jim to come in to the medical lab for a blood draw for CBC, iron and ferritin levels. I called her back, when Jim woke up and reminded her that Jim has a home health nurse, who has been drawing his blood for 5 months. Was there a reason for Jim to go to the medical center for this draw? She said, "No. I'll call home health with the doctor's orders."

I know that they are overloaded, because there are so many baby boomers with cancer. The traffic in the cancer center is unbelievable. But Dr. K gets a full report from Nancy every 2 weeks. It's in Jim's chart. I don't know why he told his nurse to call to tell me to bring in Jim. It's a basic blood draw. Nancy is an expert, and she handles his port like it's old hat. She's an IV nurse, and she teaches other nurses how to do IVs. She gives home infusions. You know, we have the BEST nurse in that agency bar none.

I checked the level of hemoglobin indicating a need for blood transfusion. It's in the 7-8 range, and Jim's hemoglobin is 7.6. It has gradually dropped from 9.2 in 8 weeks. If Jim needs a transfusion, I would guess that he'd have to go to the hospital for it, so he could be monitored. Nancy could and would monitor him, as she does for infusions, but if there was an urgent problem, at the hospital, he'd get immediate attention.

Jonathan and Michael had numerous blood transfusions, and every one of them was concerning, because we take nothing for granted. I always told my boys that some wonderful people gave their own blood to save their lives, and then we'd pray and give thanks for them and ask that they live long and happy lives.

Then I would pray for only positive outcomes, the nourishment of their bodies with the blood of people, who truly cared about others with their gift.

So, if Jim needs a blood transfusion at the hospital, we'll go there and do that. He had a platelet transfusion in April, and his platelets continue to climb. Of course, he's had numerous infusions with chemo and Opdivo. I just don't want him to have to go through the exertion involved in getting ready, going in, up and down off of a bed, needing to go to the bathroom constantly. This is exhausting just to contemplate.

But, we'll have the iPad to take with us for distraction. I have already decided that if he's hospitalized, I will bring in the iPad during the day, when I visit with him, and take it home at night, to charge it and keep it safe. Things can disappear, and sometimes Jim can forget where he put something.

BACK TO THE BACK UP

Here is the link to the video I watched three times on how to set up Time Machine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGJRJv9J7ws

At 2:27, he talks about a question about Time Machine Back Up. Does this pertain to me? This part confused me.

It sounds like he leaves the external hard drive plugged in all the time.

I am going to call Apple Support first, hoping that their tech will assist me over the phone step by step. The Apple tech, who tried to help me, when my email failed, was ready to spend hours on the phone with me backing up the computer, then stripping it down, then replacing data, so that I could update the OS.

I still have his direct number, but that was a few years ago, and he’s likely moved on to another job. I could try though, who knows?

So, that’s my long story for today.

Thank you so much for helping me with all of this funnylegs4. And all of you, who have given me such great guidance and advice and encouragement. I love you all.

Many prayers on the way for you and your loved ones, and thank you for your love, prayers, and never-ending support.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Hi Rose,

You’re very welcome! Always thrilled to help! I’m so sorry people are impatient with you about computers and that they make you nervous. No worries. A lot of the software I know how to use daily now used to scare the crap out of me. If I lived near you I would gladly do the back up for you and donate blood to Jim if I could! So sorry you had a yucky tummy!

For the question at 2:27 He’s using the auto continuous back up I mentioned. However when I use my Time Machine I back up(the bar will tell you when backup is compete) and use the clock icon at the top shown at 5:11 to stop the back up and my computer asks something like “Are you sure you want to stop Time Machine?” I tell my computer I want to stop and turn Time Machine off and then I eject my hard drive. When the external hard drive is unplugged the words "Automatic back up off" will be in gray at the top when you click the clock icon. When you plug it back in just turn Time Machine on again like he did at 1:47 or go to the clock icon at the top and click “back up now”. The auto back up scared the crap out of me at first too because I hate having my hard drives plugged in for more than a few hours LOL.

Any other questions dear?? Let me know??

Tons of prayers that Jim will NOT need a blood transfusion! Definitely keep the iPad with you.
    Last edited by funnylegs4; 09-09-2019 at 08:30 PM.

14. The following user says "thanks"

Blog Entries

Hi Rose,

Here's a screenshot of what it looks like when my external hard drive is unplugged.Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 12.15.12 AM.jpg

Blog Entries

Smile Back Up Is Running!

Thank you so much, funnylegs4, for all of your guidance and information.

I went to the Live Chat at Seagate, and a very helpful agent, named Angie, walked me through every step of setting up the external hard drive. She was super patient and nice to me.

She advised against using Paragon and told me we would use "reformatting" the disk. It's empty, since it's new, so she reassured me this was the best approach.

As I type, the process ensues! SUCCESS! YAY!

Angie said I could use the computer, while it was backing up data. But she didn't think it would work during sleep mode. Well, our Mac goes to sleep on her own, after a few minutes of being unused/unattended. When I went downstairs to tell Jim about my computer adventure, she went to sleep on her own. When I returned after a half hour, the back up was still chugging along. So, it's okay for her to sleep.

Angie gave me a link to a really brief YouTube video showing how to eject the drive safely. I will unplug her after I do that.

I'm exhausted! I'm so very grateful for your help and Angie's help. Now, no matter what happens with our dear old computer, I will have back up data so I can put it on the new computer.

With the iPad, I won't be as stressed about getting a new computer immediately. When I said this to Jim, he teased me, "The iPad? You're going to use my iPad?"

"Do you like to eat, honey?" I teased him back. "Because you'll have to learn about ordering from Instacart. And that, I'd like to see. Ha!"

Another major thing off of my To Do List!

Thank you so much! And thank you, Donna, for telling me about the 3G iPad!

Love & Light,

Rose

At the moment I typed my name, the window appeared to tell me the Backup is Complete! Hooray!

17. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Thank you so much, funnylegs4, for all of your guidance and information.

I went to the Live Chat at Seagate, and a very helpful agent, named Angie, walked me through every step of setting up the external hard drive. She was super patient and nice to me.

She advised against using Paragon and told me we would use "reformatting" the disk. It's empty, since it's new, so she reassured me this was the best approach.

As I type, the process ensues! SUCCESS! YAY!

Angie said I could use the computer, while it was backing up data. But she didn't think it would work during sleep mode. Well, our Mac goes to sleep on her own, after a few minutes of being unused/unattended. When I went downstairs to tell Jim about my computer adventure, she went to sleep on her own. When I returned after a half hour, the back up was still chugging along. So, it's okay for her to sleep.

Angie gave me a link to a really brief YouTube video showing how to eject the drive safely. I will unplug her after I do that.

I'm exhausted! I'm so very grateful for your help and Angie's help. Now, no matter what happens with our dear old computer, I will have back up data so I can put it on the new computer.

With the iPad, I won't be as stressed about getting a new computer immediately. When I said this to Jim, he teased me, "The iPad? You're going to use my iPad?"

"Do you like to eat, honey?" I teased him back. "Because you'll have to learn about ordering from Instacart. And that, I'd like to see. Ha!"

Another major thing off of my To Do List!

Thank you so much! And thank you, Donna, for telling me about the 3G iPad!

Love & Light,

Rose

At the moment I typed my name, the window appeared to tell me the Backup is Complete! Hooray!
    Hi Rose,

YAY!!! WELL DONE! I’m thrilled the backup is a success! You’re very welcome! Thank you! I’m thrilled to help. I’m glad Angie told you to simply reformat the external drive for Mac as I hear it’s better for the drive to reformat. Ha! Jim already thinks the iPad is his. LOL. I did another backup today after teaching it to you, just in case. My backup was also a success! Please let me know if you need any more tech support in the future??
    More prayers to you always.

19. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Page 8 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131838 ... LastLast