Page 10 of 54 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314152040 ... LastLast

Thread: Jim's Journey

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Exclamation The iPad Saga

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

callyflower ~

Love the photo of you and your daughter! Looks like you’re quite elevated! How far up were you, and how long was the hike to get there? And how are your feet these days?

I just love the goats hanging out around you. Thank you for sharing.

funnylegs4 ~

We have been in iPad He!! for 2 days! Easy? Uh, no. Not at all.

First, I called our carrier, and Gladys, the tech, who helped me had to put me on hold to guide me through activation, so she could consult the “next level of support.” TWENTY FIVE MINUTES ON HOLD!

Then, she started to guide me through each step.

To activate the iPad, I was supposed to insert a SIM card into a very tiny slot on the side of the pad, with a cover over it. There is a hole in that cover, and a small, flimsy paperclip like tool to put in that hole to pry it off.

I could not do it. Jim could not do it. So, Gladys gave me the step by step instructions, which I wrote down to follow later. I kept trying, but I couldn’t get that cover off of the SIM card slot.

John was going to come over today, but cancelled our trip to the tire store this morning. So, I tried with a stiff paperclip with all of my might, and I got that cover off. It went flying across the floor.

Following Gladys’ instructions, I put the tiny plastic SIM card in the slot, pushed it in, and then tried to put the cover back on, but it would not work. The cover would not go in.

I texted John, and he came over about 1:00 to help. He figured out that I was supposed to put the card inside the frame of the cover, then insert it. Gladys did not tell me this!

John somehow got the SIM card out of the slot, put it in the frame, reinserted. Didn’t work. He tried to get the cover off, and just like us, he couldn’t do it. He said, “This is really not good. I didn’t have to do this with my iPad.” He finally got it off, we cleaned the SIM card with my shirt tail, put it back in the frame, reinserted it, and it worked.

He got stuck in SETTINGS, and decided to go to his home and use his WiFi to set up our iPad. He called me, and I gave him all of the info to set it up.

When he returned, it took some doing, but we got it going. Then, he tried to add Flash Player, and Apple wouldn’t accept our ID. So, I had to use the computer to go on line to change our ID password to the new one for the iPad.

John will return tomorrow morning to finish getting us all set up and showing us how to use it.

We have to learn how to use a light touch and where to go to find everything. It is definitely a learning experience for us, and we should probably take a class … taught by a middle schooler.

John told us he was trying to work out something in his home with the WiFi, but he kept running into problems. Frustrated, he told his 17 year old daughter that he couldn’t get it connected. She tried and got it in 2 minutes!

So, our assessment of the iPad so far is: Easy? NO!

Jim is very tired today. We took his BP a little while ago, and it is lower than normal, but not alarming. I think he needs to hold off on the THC for now. One of its benefits is lowering blood pressure, but his is already on the low side, and he doesn’t need to go lower.

Anxiously awaiting the results of his blood work.

Thank you all for your continuing love, support and prayers, and for all of the tech help you’ve given to me.

We love you and pray for you and your loved ones daily.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rose, your iPad SIM card saga sounded so much like my recent misadventure with a childproof pill bottle that I had to laugh--although these struggles with so much new technology and so many novel ways of doing things aren't at all amusing when you're in the middle of one. Having to hang on the phone with tech support is one of the dreariest parts of that experience, and I go to great lengths to avoid that part.

Today's adventure was with the printer my son gave me. It's actually been very nice and cooperative up till now but today I ran into a problem. I discovered a miraculous way it has of FIXING ITSELF in some instances. I tell it my problem and it fixes it. At least that worked this time.

And it's not even set up to work with Win 10. I was afraid that was going to turn out to be its problem but so far it hasn't been.

I've found my book about iPads to be helpful sometimes even though mine is an older iPad. It's called iPad: The Missing Manual by David Pogue, who writes the tech columns in the NY Times. I go to it first, and then I google the iPad issue until I find an answer. If I still can't find an answer, I'm afraid I often give up. Calling tech support wouldn't help me because it's not registered to me (being a hand-me-down). However, so far I've been able to figure out most problems with the iPad--or get away with ignoring them.

For weeks it wasn't turning on right. It would turn on, show me a page, then immediately turn off. I finally remembered that I'd changed a setting recently, setting it so I'd no longer need to enter a password just to open it. I looked in my different sources and online I learned that it's best to shut it down a certain way, which wasn't the way I'd been using.

The recommended way is a bit more involved but I've been using it--and the iPad no longer has its problem. It has other problems but I'm not depending on it for much other than some entertainment while I wait for transportation, or I look at e-mail and a few Websites if I can't connect to the Internet on the PC. It's usually quite good about these functions in spite of having been treated quite mercilessly sometimes. I don't know how many times I've accidentally dropped it while it was in its case and in my totebag. Being heavy, it made quite a thud--but so far showed no signs of damage, believe it or not.

I hope your iPad will be kind to you too.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Oh Lord, Rose - I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I read your saga of the Ipad! Well, all I can say is... two steps forward and one step back - you are still one step ahead, right? Yes, a light touch is needed. When you are learning, I recommend that you buy (not expensive at all) an Ipad stylus pen https://www.amazon.com/Mixoo-Capacit...s%2C224&sr=8-5. That way, you don't have to worry that you are pressing too lightly or too hard. Do you have an Apple Care Plan (ie. can you call Apple support instead of your carrier when you have problems?). Because the Apple people are amazing over the phone. They hire folks who are trained to be so kind, so patient and they all know exactly what they are doing with the technology. I'm so sorry that you had to go through this awful set up! If you buy an Ipad at the Apple store, they will set it up for you with your carrier but I know how difficult it is for you to get out of the house :( . Oh well, like I said - one step forward! Once you get this, you've got it and it will truly be a blessing. And Rose, a youngster teaching you is a great idea! How about John's daughter for a weekend part time little job? She could maybe be your teacher and problem solver? I hired a teenager for my Mom when we bought her an Ipad. She eventually got it and loved using it - her BFF at the seniors home was very funny and when Mom asked her, "What should we look up on this Google thing?" Mom's friend Edna said, "Let's search for Single Men With Money" LOL! I hope your Ipad works out and that it doesn't turn out to be more bother than it's worth! Hopefully it will get to be smooth sailing very soon xoxox Donna
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

((((((Donna)))))) ~

I love Edna's reply to your mom! So cute!

I'm ordering the stylus and looking also for a case for our iPad. Thank you for helping us with this, Donna.

John visited this afternoon, and we had another round of problems setting up the iPad. We can't seem to download Adobe Flash or Flash Player or any variety thereof, and there's something funky about our PayPal account on the iPad. We also had to activate our credit card to be used for Apple purchases. So, the credit card company called with a code.

And on and on it went, with still no Flash Player/Adobe.

We did record our thumbprints to safeguard the iPad. We all did this, because John is our "IT Man," per his designation. FINE WITH US!

He took our iPad home with him, and he's going to consult with his 17 year old daughter. She'll likely have it up and running quickly, unless we are simply cursed with technological devices.

John invited me to attend a family birthday party next Saturday. He said that he'd transport me, and I didn't have to stay for a long time. I declined. "If Jim can't go, I don't want to go. I don't want to leave Jim." John understood. Another concern is exposure to germs. Jim is so vulnerable now. I probably am too.

I asked Jim today whether he's been taking his vitamins, because he hasn't needed a new bottle for a long time. He admitted that he's been lax. This upset me greatly, because he NEEDS those vitamins. He said that he forgets to take them. From now on, I will put his vitamins out for him, when I serve his breakfast. I should have been on top of this a long time ago. I just trusted that he had his schedule, as he said he did, and was taking them. Then, it occurred to me that he hasn't needed a new bottle of vitamins in quite awhile.

Grief, worry, fear, and everything else turn my mind into a pretzel. And all of this computer, back up, iPad stuff has really worn me out. I also know that once it's all in place, I'll be called upon by Jim to help him find something. I'm happy to do it, but I have 10 gazillion other things I should and need to be doing. All of this technical stuff has really cut into my laundry, cleaning, and taking care of business time.

But, it must be done, and so it is being done. Thanks to John.

Thank you so much, Donna, for everything. As always, keeping you, Jim, Nick, Natalie and family in our prayers.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

8. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Rose, I have to admit, you gave me a good chuckle that I think I needed. I came on to find out how Jim is doing and I find this gem of a post about setting up an iPad. I would be even worse than you were, so believe me the laugh is with you not at you.

When Donna said she didn't know weather to laugh or cry I kind of got the feeling that she was about like me.

Hope you and Jim get some rest. Maybe we should all say some prayers for that iPad, it seems to be acting up a little.
    Virginia

10. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Rose,

Why are you trying to download adobe flash or flash player? Most videos will work on the the ipad and don’t require flash to be run. I use my iPad for almost everything and only have run into a couple of glitches of not using flash. I can watch Netflix and all of the streaming services without flash.

Marcie

12. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Hi Rose,

So sorry you had all that iPad trouble dear! My friend who had the stroke only said the operation of the iPad itself was easy, meaning after activation I assume, as I didn’t even know an iPad had to be activated. :( He never mentioned activation because he got his iPad way before I knew him. I can ask my friends who use iPads for tips later this month if I see them if you want? Your iPad saga reminds me of why I try to avoid those types of technology. The set up etc is murder on my spastic fingers and somewhat sore joints. The pen the others mentioned is a great idea. The iPad should work fine without flash if you use youtube and similar sites as others have said.
    I forget to take my supplements constantly so I’m not surprised Jim forgot in his condition. I’m sure taking more vitamins will help his blood count.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

14. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Default IV Iron Transfusion Needed

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Thank you Virginia, Marcie, and funnylegs4 ~

Jim enjoys playing on line card and word games, which sometimes require Flash Player or Adobe Flash. When we went to Jim's favorite card game, we were prompted to get Flash Player. That's when it all began.

Part of the problem was that the iPad would not accept our PayPal account. John kept trying without any success, which is why he took the iPad home.

John called me today several times, as we walked through it all again. I looked up using Flash on an iPad, and there are workarounds, but it's crazy. John accessed Jim's favorite card game on his iPhone, and it worked. So, he then decided to use our credit card to authorize use of the recommended Flash Player replacements, and it worked.

John said that all Jim has to do is press the icon, and he'll be at the game.

John was going to bring the iPad over on his way to his daughter's game, but Jim was sleeping, as he does quite a lot now.

PRAYERS FOR JIM PLEASE

Jim's blood test results are in. Dr. K called to leave a message, which was cut off at the end, so I had to call his nurse to get the full message.

I viewed Jim's results on the portal, where I saw Dr. K's notes.

He wants Jim to start taking Nexium to reduce stomach acid, in case this is the reason for his low iron and ferritin. He also ordered two IV iron infusions.

I asked Dr. K's nurse whether Jim's home health nurse can give him these iron infusions. She said she didn't think so, but then, last week, she forgot he had a home health nurse. So, I called and texted Nancy to ask her whether she can do these infusions, but she hasn't replied yet.

I asked Dr. K's nurse to send the order to the infusion center, so we can get on the calendar now, if Nancy can't do it at home. I don't want to wait, as low hemoglobin can be fatal.

I'm washing Jim's "medical visit clothes" tonight, so we're ready, if we have to go to the infusion center. Fortunately, it has been moved from the hospital to the medical building. Much easier access.

Of course, I will accompany Jim to the infusion center, and we discussed that this afternoon. I said to Jim, "They don't know that Jonathan has passed. That's going to be hard." He agreed, as he told them all about Jon, me and our family, and that's why they all love Jim so much. I've talked to most of his infusion nurses on the phone, so when they see me with Jim, they'll probably figure out why I can be there.

We'll discuss transportation with John tomorrow, when he stops by with the iPad. And, then we'll have it to keep Jim occupied for 2 hours of infusion.

Dr. K cautioned that if Jim has black, tarry stools, he needs to go to the ER. He's worried about internal bleeding, as I have been during this drop in his hemoglobin and RBC .

WBC and neutrophils also dropped, but his platelets and his glucose are greatly improved. The rest are stable.

So, it's now an anxious wait to find out where we're going for the infusions. Jim is calm. He's used to this now. And he trusts me and knows that I have a handle on everything from iron infusions to iPads, and anything else starting with the letter "i".

Thank you all for your guidance, support, love, prayers, and encouragement. We couldn't do this without you. We love you and pray for you and your loved ones every day.

Love & Light,

Rose

16. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Thanks for keeping us informed. I will be praying and know that many others will also.

Blessings for you and Jim.

18. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

((((((Virginia)))))) ~

Thank you so much for your prayers and blessings.

I looked up Nexium. There are cautions in taking it if you are taking iron supplements, or if you have an autoimmune disease (Jim has RA). Now, I have to write to Dr. K and reference these cautions. I'm very frightened for Jim to take Nexium and have his iron infusions simultaneously.

Nancy isn't allowed to do IV iron infusions, so we'll be going to the infusion center. She told me tonight that the length of the infusion depends upon the dose, what they mix it with, etc., but it could last 3-4 hours.

When I told Jim that we'd take his iPad, he laughed. "I'll take my CD player and listen to music. You can play with the iPad and figure it out."

We can do this. Not looking forward to it, of course, but we can do it.

Our prayers are with you too, Virginia, always.

Love & Light,

Rose

20. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 10 of 54 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314152040 ... LastLast