Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Life

Distinguished Community Member

Default Life

I will start off by saying getting old is not for the the weak or the timid. It is a bad thing or not. TOS prevent me from using the words I want to. I recently had full blown Pneumonia. I am not sure I do not have it, I am going to the VA, to get another chest x-ray. I am as weak as a pup. I am doing physical therapy once a week, I want twice a week, and I need to see my Psychiatrist. I am already on Lex-Pro, at the lowest dose, ad that is all I can handle. I am tired all the time. being diabetic does not help. I feel like the Cheshire cat, I am slowly fading away. That is O.K. I am a man of the LORD, I will not hurt myself, but norther will I consent to any medical treatment. This is likely my last post for a while, I have a t-shirt that says "Fight or Die" I will fight for my life but it is hard. My Faith Sustains ME - so true. I will not give up but that is in the LORDS hands. Thank all of ya'll
    Skypilot steve

2. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member jingle's Avatar

(((alex44))) I will keep you in my prayers.

4. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am so glad your faith is strong. Sometimes that is all we have to keep us going. I am assuming that you know that one of the SEs of Lexapro can be diabetes. I hate the meds because I could basically sleep all day. If it weren't for my animals I probably would. I hope you manage to find some up moments to sustain you throughout your days. Don't be gone long (((((((((hugs)))))))))

6. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Alex)))))) ~

I'm so sorry I missed your post until now. I just thought I'd check in to see if anyone had posted here recently. And here you are.

Please look into houghchrst's comment about Lex-Pro and diabetes. Perhaps you can change to a different medication, which doesn't have diabetes as a side effect. Some of your symptoms, such as fatigue, could also be caused by this and other medications.

I have always fully researched all meds recommended (or given to) my sons and now my husband. I'm certain that I spared all three of them a plethora of awful side effects. No drug is side effect free, so the goal is to find the one with the least serious adverse side effects.

It's not just the getting old that is difficult and hard on us, it's the pre-existing disorders we may have, autoimmune disorders, chronic pain, etc., which make being older so challenging. That makes us more vulnerable to things like shingles and pneumonia.

Jim and I are trying to combat that challenge by eating properly, remaining well hydrated, and taking multiple vitamins and D3 supplements. We also take CBD oil, which we firmly believe has helped both of us with our arthritis pain and with Jim's cancer.

If you are not currently doing all of these things now, please start.

I've been studying pharmaceuticals for nearly 50 years now, because I was thrown into the medical arena of complications, when my sons were born. I researched for them, for my family, and for my friends. Before the internet, there was the Physician's Desk Reference, a giant book with tiny print, listing every drug, vitamin, herb, etc. I ordered a new copy every year.

Of course, I know the benefits of pharmaceuticals, but I also know their deep pitfalls.

Seizure meds barely controlled my sons' seizures, and they suffered numerous life changing side effects from those drugs. Bone deterioration, inflamed gums so they couldn't swallow ... the list is endless. Every single antibiotic interacted with their meds.

Opdivo was conquering Jim's cancer, until it caused his white blood cells to tank, rendering him weak and nearer to death. Now, no more treatments left for Jim.

My point is to weigh and balance the risks/benefits of every med you take or is suggested for you to take. You might be surprised by the effect of reducing or changing meds.

Most doctors ignore side effects when they prescribe meds, and they disregard meds as the culprit for symptoms, which are side effects of the meds. You have to be your own detective, Alex.

Don't despair. Take charge of your medical care by being well informed about all possible treatments and their side effects.

You are always in my prayers, and I send you healing, positive energy. Keep the faith, and stay strong in God's care.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

8. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Hi alex44,
    I'm sorry your health is not good. My BF who is diabetic says diabetes itself can cause fatigue at times even when managed well. Prayers to you.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

10. The following user says "thanks"

Houghchrist -I do not shock easily, but to hear that Lex-pro can cause Diabetes, yes I am indeed shocked. I have a feeling that a lot of the fatigue is attributable to that. which has led to severe Depression. I wish I had seen this post sooner, but I have been Fighting with my doctors over numerous things. I am strongly considering going to a outside Psychitrist, (currently VA) since I now feel that he has failed me in not making the connection, I am trying to get better, but it is an ongoing struggle. The VA has me on oral meds and no way to check my blood sugar so I watch my diet, limit suger intake and take Oral meds. I too just want to sleep all day - Thank You and all the rest for the concern - have to go now as I am getting too emotional.Hope this finds you well.
    Blessings
    Alex44
    AKA Skypilot Steve

12. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alex44 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Houghchrist -I do not shock easily, but to hear that Lex-pro can cause Diabetes, yes I am indeed shocked. I have a feeling that a lot of the fatigue is attributable to that. which has led to severe Depression. I wish I had seen this post sooner, but I have been Fighting with my doctors over numerous things. I am strongly considering going to a outside Psychitrist, (currently VA) since I now feel that he has failed me in not making the connection, I am trying to get better, but it is an ongoing struggle. The VA has me on oral meds and no way to check my blood sugar so I watch my diet, limit suger intake and take Oral meds. I too just want to sleep all day - Thank You and all the rest for the concern - have to go now as I am getting too emotional.Hope this finds you well.
    Blessings
    Alex44
    AKA Skypilot Steve
    I'm not a doctor and I don't know how much the glucose monitors my BF uses cost but not checking your blood sugar is dangerous and I would suggest seeing if you can buy a regular monitor at a pharmacy or drug store. I think some diabetes hotlines have free monitors. I'm saying this because I saw a diabetic on oral medication have a bad reaction to the oral medications partly because he did not use a glucose monitor. He could have died by not having a monitor and I don't want to see you die because something like that was not remedied immediately! The desire to sleep is likely because you have too high blood sugar numbers.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

14. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Steve)))))) ~

I agree with funnylegs4 that you should have a glucose monitor at home. Check with your pharmacist for a recommendation for the best kind for you.

You might want to try talking with your current VA psychiatrist regarding Lexapro and Diabetes. You are the patient, and you have rights. Tell him that you don't want to take it any longer and ask for a different drug, without similar side effects.

Talk to your PCP about this also. There is no need for you to be suffering with Diabetes, if it can be avoided by changing medications.

Meanwhile, check around for a private psychiatrist with good patient reviews. Perhaps Vets are given a discount. Are you a Senior yet?

I know you are tied and depressed, but you have to be an advocate and be proactive about your health needs.

Sending prayers for healing, strength, and peace.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

16. The following user says "thanks"

Thank all of you and God Bless You = I am having a very hard time. I Skipped my Morning dose of Pain Meds, but took the Lex-Pro this morning and the oral diabetes med after a lite breakfast. I could not/did not want to get out of bed until 3Pm. this is not right, something is draining my energy. as In, I have none. I am crying right now, I am only 64, I want to work, SS and SSI may prevent me but with no energy, how can I? I have Diabetes now, something I never had, but my Mom had it, I WONDER IF THE Lexapro HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT? the VA does not GIVE YOU A METER unless you are on Insulin, something I never want to do(Personal Reasons). I am watching my diet - no sugar to speak of) I AM ON A very fixed Income, If anyone has links as to where I can get a ree meter or one at a very nominal cost, I would be very grateful. Thank Ya'll and bless ya'll
    Alex44
    AKA Skypilot Steve

18. The following user says "thanks"

Rose - Thank You - I am thinking a Non Gov't Psyc. Is my best bet. I am a child of the 60's and still not trust the Government. I served and now I get (bad word) Thank you for your support, I know you have be3en thru a lot. Blessing to you for being strong and being there for your family.
    Blessings
    Alex44
    AKA Skypilot steve

20. The following user says "thanks"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast