Thread: IVIg ...question

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default IVIg ...question

OSunshine or anybody...I have a friend who has MDS and is starting IVIg tomorrow. He called and asked me how it works. It has been so long...I know they use it for lupus, myestenia gravis (sp) etc. but I have forgotten. He is quite ill...has had chemo...I had to look up mds but it does not sound good. If anyone has a good article About how IVIg works I could forward to him...much appreciated. He is a chemist so professional articles are fine.
    Last edited by Lazarus; 04-23-2019 at 08:03 AM.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

2. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Linda))))))~

I'm so sorry that your friend has MDS. I think that is what Jim's oncologist is looking for with repeating Jim's bone marrow biopsy.

You've probably found various sites about MDS in your search. I just started with this one, when Jim's biopsy was ordered.

https://www.mds-foundation.org/what-is-mds/

I hope IVIg helps your friend.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

4. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks. I have been researching mds. in 1965, I was out on a double date. I was with this friend and the other couple was my now husband and another girl. (We were all so young then). By the end of the night John and I formed the friendship that led to our now 51 year marriage. And we are all still friends after so much time.

Sort of a nice story.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Really nice story.

For CVID IVIG works by putting IGg directly into the blood stream, since CVID ppl are lacking enough IGbg

I think for MS and SPS it tamps down inflammation, and it also tricks the body into attacking something different other than GAD (in SPS case)

I donít know the science behind it.

8. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

I have this saved, but I didn't see MDS listed. But it may give an overview of its uses, at least from a 2009 perspective:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2801038/
    Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

10. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The source isn't one I've heard of (EHA for European Hematology Association) but there's this from 2017, and the researchers are from institutions that are well regarded:

https://learningcenter.ehaweb.org/eh...tment.for.html
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

12. The following 2 users say "thanks"