Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking peace with multiple sclerosis.

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Default Seeking peace with multiple sclerosis.

I posted this in the stiff person syndrome forum and buried here in the keep on moving thread.

Letís not scold ourselves from what we do not do. Even though we used to do it. Letís focus on the moment letís try to find beauty in each moment, whether it is an interesting butterfly that just flew by the window, a moment of peace with no noise in our home, or even a bigger moments of beauty such as when a family member is on the phone talking.

With this disease, we do not need to judge ourselves in anyway. What my post donít show is that much of my day is spent lying down. This is with or without a swim. The only reason I keep swimming is that it feels so good moving in the water. And I am afraid of developing new problems if I donít move in someway. Yes, today I swim over 800 yards in 29 minutes. But I have been lying on the couch for an hour, dreading have to drive 12 minutes to a doctors visit.

...all day long, I try to talk myself out of going to an appointment because it just seems too much. My cooking now focuses on simple cooking, about 20% of my favorite recipes. I love the other recipes, but the thought of following the complexity of them, Even though Iíve cooked them 1 million times before, is simply overwhelming.

It is human nature to judge ourselves. But it is not a recipe for a peaceful life, healthy or not. Celebrate moments of peace. Seek peace.

2. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Unhappy

I am not sure where I should post this, but I am trying to keep it away from Howie.

I found more peace today than I wanted. I got up about 9:15 after having gotten up earlier and turned the heat up. I washed my face and brushed my teeth. I then went in the kitchen to have some breakfast, which usually consist of one boiled egg. I put that on to boil. After that was when things got tricky.

While waiting for the egg to boil, I decided I would fix my medicine up for the week which I do on Thursdays. I have separate containers for morning and night and right now for midday gabapentin. I first took this mornings medicine out and took it, then I took tonight's out and laid it in the usual place until I would be ready to take it tonight. I fixed all my weekly medicine and put containers where they stay. I ate breakfast. I had then planned to get my shower and go to the grocery store today. Well, I felt kind of tired or kind of like I didn't really want to do anything. I decided to sit down for a few minutes.

I had T.V. on watching a show that had been taped. The next thing I realized was the T.V. was on, but not that show and it was going on 2 o'clock. I decided not to go to the store today. I had my yogurt and piece of dark chocolate for lunch. While I was getting it ready, I happened to glance where I had left my night's medicine and it was not there. I thought "why would I have moved it?", "when did I move it?"

As you can probably figure out after searching all over in places I would not have put it, I realized I had taken my night medicine. Probably after taking my morning medicine and while fixing my medicine for the week, I saw it laying there and just thought it was medicine for this morning. I forgot I had already taken that.

It would not be too bad, but one thing I had in tonight's medicine was a zolpidem. I usually don't take all of the zolpidem, but cut it when I get ready to take it. I assume I took all of it, so I am having a very lazy day of not wanting to do anything.

As I said, I am a little more peaceful today than I wanted to be.

Edited to add: I have been judging myself very harshly for having done this. Not only is it dangerous, but it messed today up and tomorrow because I had something else I needed to do tomorrow. Now I will need to go to the grocery store. I will hopefully be more cautious in the future.

I can't believe it is 5PM. Where did the day go?
    Last edited by Virginia; 01-10-2019 at 02:04 PM.
    Virginia

4. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am not sure where I should post this, but I am trying to keep it away from Howie.

I found more peace today than I wanted. I got up about 9:15 after having gotten up earlier and turned the heat up. I washed my face and brushed my teeth. I then went in the kitchen to have some breakfast, which usually consist of one boiled egg. I put that on to boil. After that was when things got tricky.

While waiting for the egg to boil, I decided I would fix my medicine up for the week which I do on Thursdays. I have separate containers for morning and night and right now for midday gabapentin. I first took this mornings medicine out and took it, then I took tonight's out and laid it in the usual place until I would be ready to take it tonight. I fixed all my weekly medicine and put containers where they stay. I ate breakfast. I had then planned to get my shower and go to the grocery store today. Well, I felt kind of tired or kind of like I didn't really want to do anything. I decided to sit down for a few minutes.

I had T.V. on watching a show that had been taped. The next thing I realized was the T.V. was on, but not that show and it was going on 2 o'clock. I decided not to go to the store today. I had my yogurt and piece of dark chocolate for lunch. While I was getting it ready, I happened to glance where I had left my night's medicine and it was not there. I thought "why would I have moved it?", "when did I move it?"

As you can probably figure out after searching all over in places I would not have put it, I realized I had taken my night medicine. Probably after taking my morning medicine and while fixing my medicine for the week, I saw it laying there and just thought it was medicine for this morning. I forgot I had already taken that.

It would not be too bad, but one thing I had in tonight's medicine was a zolpidem. I usually don't take all of the zolpidem, but cut it when I get ready to take it. I assume I took all of it, so I am having a very lazy day of not wanting to do anything.

As I said, I am a little more peaceful today than I wanted to be.

Edited to add: I have been judging myself very harshly for having done this. Not only is it dangerous, but it messed today up and tomorrow because I had something else I needed to do tomorrow. Now I will need to go to the grocery store. I will hopefully be more cautious in the future.

I can't believe it is 5PM. Where did the day go?
    Ouch! I know where your day went. It is in the sea of lost days. A few of mine are there too. Days that slipped from my grasp...days that fell off the wall with Humpty Dumpty and lay broken on the ground...days that took a detour and were never seen again!
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Thumbs up

I keep all my meds in a Bose headphones box, still in the bottles. I have one empty med bottle with no label. I put all the days meds in that bottle, and put the meds box away.

I then dump them out on the bed, then I have one I take three times a day, one I take twice a day, and one I take before bed. I know at a glance what dose has or hasn't been taken.

That works for me, not to double dose like you did, and I have done before I started my dosing routine.
    Evolution spans the Universe.

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Pretty good Howie, but would not work for me. I have 5 pills in the morning -two are not duplicates of night pills. I have 4 at night - one is not duplicate of morning. Before Shingles brought about gabapentin I had one less for each morning and night. In addition to those two times to take pills I also have one gabapentin in middle of day. In spite of the very dumb thing I did today, I think for me the pill containers are still the best option. I have a white one for morning and a dark blue one for night. Also, because of taking 10 per day, I had rather get them together once a week rather than every single morning.

Before I get up for good in the morning, I get up about an hour or more earlier and take my thyroid medicine. That also is a little more complicated as I take l a day except Wednesday and Saturday when I take one plus another one of a different strength. This I keep in my bedroom along with a glass to get water. Three nights a week I give a shot.

Ughhhhh!!!!
    Virginia

10. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Wow Virginia, that is quite a mix you have there. But you have a routine worked out.

It's easy to forget if you've taken a dose. You get so used to taking pills, you just forget. I've done it myself. Good luck with your system.
    Evolution spans the Universe.

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

You guys are rookies. I take 23 medications every day. They are spread across 12 different dose times. Some are repeated four times per day.

I have boxes that have each medicine Spread across a week. Then I have boxes that include just the days does. It is the system that allows me to see if I missed a dose or double toasted. Of course it does not take into account that I might’ve made a mistake in my weekly pill count. But I usually triple check that work.

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Virginia, it's quite true that we can get so used to a routine that we don't pay the necessary attention to it anymore until we make a mistake in it.

I think this is how falls happen too.

Don't beat yourself up, I think it's human nature.

You'll pay close attention again now, I'm sure!

Beautiful essay, Sunshine!

16. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Suze-Q, Sunshine's essay was beautiful. I think what happened was that possibly I got confused with my regular pills that I mentioned and 5 that I take that are not prescription - I take two Omegas, 2 Vit D3s and 1 Vit B12 complex. These I take out of their original bottles and lay on the counter until after I have had breakfast, while the others I take before breakfast. I think I took the night pills in place of the vitamins. I have been somewhat depressed and unsettled since, because I think if I can't trust myself what will I do. I still did not get to store today and if I do not get out tomorrow I will just order thru instacart. I know I need to get out since I have not been out since last Sunday.

Glad to see you posting tonight.
    Virginia

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I take 6 types of pills but that means 8 potassium caplets a day, one multivitamin, 3 vitamin D tablets, 4 aspirin, 1/2 of a Lipitor, and 1 25 mg HCTZ + 6 12.5 mg HCTZ pills. There are also two calcium + D chews a day but they're in a class by themselves since they're not pills, and there is 1 Claritin a day but each pill is individually wrapped.

Excluding the Claritin and the calcium, the pills get organized once a week into a mediset thingy, and then I'm set for the week, assuming I've done the organizing right.

Each day has 4 compartments (morning, noon, evening, bedtime), and that works for me because some of the pills need to be taken with food. I eat 4 times a day.

SuzE-Q, what you said is so true:

Virginia, it's quite true that we can get so used to a routine that we don't pay the necessary attention to it anymore until we make a mistake in it.

I think this is how falls happen too.
    I don't know how many falls (and near-falls) I've had as a result of inattention. If I don't stay firmly focused on what I'm doing, even if what I'm just getting across the room or picking up something off the floor, I'm at risk.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast