Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910

Thread: Keep on Moving Club: November 2018

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I can't be taken seriously about ironing after Virginia's ironing spree but I did some ironing today. It took about 20 minutes and was just 4 tops that needed only touchup ironing. Getting out the equipment, then putting it back is half the battle when there's so little ironing. Haul the board out, open it up, haul the iron out, fill it without spilling water all over, plug it in, turn it on--then do the knockdown after finishing the ironing. I've nearly tripped sometimes just carrying or dragging the ironing board into or out of the closet.

Once I lived in a place that had a built-in ironing board. It dropped down from behind a little door in the dining room. It was totally out of sight except when in use. It wasn't a full-size ironing board but it did quite nicely at the time.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

2. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Agate, always try to remember to be careful. My Aunt was in her mid eighties and was ironing and she started to get more water for the iron. In the process she tripped over the cord and broke her arm. Her daughter lived with her and came home for lunch every day. She called her daughter and told her not to come that day that she was going to walk to a nearby Doctor's office that she had a broken arm. Her daughter said, Mother stay where you are I will be right there. When her daughter got there her Mother was waiting for her. Her daughter looked at her and said Mother you have your make-up on. My Aunt said I hope you don't think I am going to the Doctor without my make-up. The bone in her arm was sticking over to the side - it was down close to her wrist. By the way, my Aunt's name was Virginia.
    Virginia

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What a story, Virginia! It sounds as if your aunt had a compound fracture. I hope that the doctor was able to treat her so that she healed up. Fractures can be risky at that age.

I try to be careful with the iron and with all cords. I nearly fell today but it wasn't while ironing. I was doing the week's supply of pills and had dropped one on the floor. I got up to look more closely for it, moved the wheelchair a bit, and got tangled up in it the wrong way somehow and nearly went down.

One of these days, and I don't know how long it is going to take, I'll learn always, always to have that wheel-lock/brake on. I've done this kind of thing before. You'd think I'd have learned, but no.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910