Thread: Popping in for a quick visit

Default Popping in for a quick visit

It's been 16 years now since my right temporal lobectomy. Been about that long since I've checked in here, too. Seizures are pretty much under control now with lots of Topamax and Lamictal.

Well, my short-term memory is pretty much gone. Surgery and the meds took it and won't give it back. I found out something interesting about time. Time is meaningless with no short-term memory. Yesterday, today and tomorrow are identical, there is absolutely no difference. A week = a day = a minute = a year, no difference when you don't remember the time intervals between them. An important event in 5 weeks is tomorrow to me. The worst part is I'm fully aware of the problem but can do nothing about it. Years of different kinds of therapy resulted in nothing.

Luckily my angel for 32 years now (Rita) has stayed by my side and dealt with everything life has thrown at us. I'll never get any better I know, but every morning that I wake up on the green side of the dirt is going to be another good day.

Take care all.

2. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Hello, sorry to hear of your memory issues. Glad your seizures are under control though.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

4. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member jingle's Avatar

Matt -- I've had two surgeries - 2006 and 2007 - and I lost my left hippocampus so my memory is shot too. For me it's worth to to never have a seizure.

Distinguished Community Member

Hi Matt,

It's great to hear from you again. I also had temporal lobe surgery and they removed my right hippocampus causing short term memory loss but what made it better
    was doing a lot of math and word search puzzles along with doing brain teasers which are riddles that are so simple they are hard. Give all that a try and see if it helps
    your short term memory. Wishing you and your family only the best and May God Bless All of You!

Sue