Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast

Thread: OT July Chit Chat

Distinguished Community Member Cherie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How do I find out if Peapod delivers in this area? Instacart doesn't.
    Type into your search bar "Grocery Home Delivery" and enter your zip code. It will give options in your area. Peapod is $6.95 for delivery or $2.95 to pick up your order at the store. Staff shops your list the night before delivery (or the morning of if you are getting an afternoon delivery), packs it and the drivers are paid. I find I can add a tip on the delivery sheet without having to pay cash. For the store pick up, you pull the car into a certain area, dial the phone number on the sign and they bring your order to the car, load it in and will not take a tip.

2. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by agate View Post
    Consumer Reports article (Dec. 2017) on generators:

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...uide/index.htm
    This article is about portable generators and is more recent (July 2018):

https://www.consumerreports.org/port...new_newsletter
    Last edited by agate; 07-12-2018 at 04:10 PM.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Distinguished Community Member Pegakafarmgirl's Avatar

I shop at Hy Vee,, and have seen employees with a list shopping for people..a worker told me,, one time a elderly lady had 6 carts filled for her,, she picked them up,,
    " Don't outsmart your common sense"

Peg

Distinguished Community Member

Peg, I can't imagine getting six carts of groceries. I have seen people get two, but that is the max that I have actually witnessed.
    Virginia

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

((((((agate)))))) ~

Thank you for the links. We have a portable generator. Portable is a laughable term. They are quite heavy, and they don't move easily.

When we've had outages, Jim moved the generator to the side of the house, so that the gas fumes would go toward the street. Then, he hooks up the extension cords, takes off the screen on Jon's window, drops the power cord into his room via the window, fixes a precut board against the window frame to fill up the gap, pours gas into the tank, checks all of the meters and what have yous, then pushes a button to start it. We have to check it every hour to make sure that there are no problems, and we have to run out to get more gas, if the outage lasts longer than 8 hours.

Jim cannot do any of that anymore. He would in an emergency, but I'd probably have to call paramedics. He gets out of breath just bending over to pick up something. And John's not always available. He goes on vacation, travels to volleyball tournaments with his daughter, has a social life and a very sick mom.

I haven't had a chance to call our various pros about installing an automatic generator. We have a 2 week break in Jim's doctor appointments, so maybe I can fit it in during that time. On the other hand, I haven't been to the dentist for 2 years or the optometrist for 12 years. It would be nice to take care of myself for a change...

Thankfully, it appears that we're heading for a cooler temps in the mid 80s next week. That takes a little of the onus off of the generator, but it's not something we can ignore.

Thank you again for helping me.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad.

7. The following 8 users say "thanks"

I've never seen it in action, but I'm told that, if requested, they'll accompany someone and help them shop. My store does have a pickup service -- I shop, check out, they'll give me a number, take my cart to a side door. We drive around to that door, and they will load the groceries, and won't take a tip.

9. The following 8 users say "thanks"

I have seen a blind woman at Stop and Shop here. She approaches the desk. I think she may have had an appointment. They ask, Are you ready? They call a young woman and off they go shopping. I imagine most stores will do this.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

11. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

It's Friday the 13th. Have a great day. Muahahahaha!!!
    Evolution spans the Universe.

13. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    It's Friday the 13th. Have a great day. Muahahahaha!!!
    Holy mackerel! That totally got by me...thank you for the heads up!

15. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Cherie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
    Peg, I can't imagine getting six carts of groceries. I have seen people get two, but that is the max that I have actually witnessed.
    We have a fishing port about 5 miles away so when I have gone to the store instead of ordering on line, there are often three or four guys from a boat with 2 carts each loading up food for the crew for 1-2 weeks out on the water. I'd hate to pay that bill!

I washed my car this afternoon for the first time in months. Short while out and not overwhelmingly hot but it wiped me out! Car looks better though. However, the pollen will probably be back by morning. Kristof has been in String Camp at the University all week. Finishing tomorrow morning with a concert at 2 tomorrow afternoon. He learned so much last summer at this camp and it propelled him into a much more aware and active violinist. That kid can hear just about anything now and pick it out on the violin, keyboard or guitar.

17. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast