Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Emotional trauma possible trigger for Maryland woman's SPS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emotional trauma possible trigger for Maryland woman's SPS?

Another person with SPS has made the news, at least on WJLA in Washington, DC:

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Thanks, Agate. I'm not buying the scared stiff part but do believe that major emotional trauma or stress often precedes the onset on autoimmune diseases.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Comment

Good find Agate!
      My life was perfect before I got sick. Perfect.

I am not sure where Dr Newsome gets his theory from. Is it based on well controlled studies, for example?
      Much of the world has tremendous stress such as food insecurity, living in poverty, violence, and yet only 1 in a million gets SPS. I just don’t buy that theory.

Seems like when docs don’t know something, they blame it on psych origins.

But thank you for posting it Agate! I am very curious about her exercise program. Does the movement send her into spasms, for example.
      Last edited by Sunshine; 05-24-2018, 08:54 AM.

Comment

I'm not sure Dr. Newsome is sold on this theory. The article states:

But Dr. Newsome believes emotional trauma can trigger this condition.

“Emotional stress actually can activate the immune system. So, if someone is predisposed to have an auto immune condition, if they are under big, bad stress over time, that may be enough to push toward whatever auto immune condition is going to be unmasked,” explained Dr. Newsome.
        Sounds to me as if emotional stress might trigger a disorder that has been lying dormant for a while, in some people. I believe this idea has been discussed from time to time in connection with MS as well.

Here's a video Dr. Newsome made in 2015:

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
        Last edited by agate; 05-24-2018, 05:19 PM.
        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Working...
        X