Pharmiacist Steve Time Release Medicine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pharmiacist Steve Time Release Medicine

I have ask a lot of people how the meds work. I want to know how much of 60mg morphine is released at first and how much is released through the rest of the 8 hrs. I have ask my pharmacist, couldn't tell me. I called Zydus and ask them couldn't get an answer and they make the damn stuff.....go figure. I just really can not figure out how these time release meds work..... Sure hope you can help me.. thanks so much if you can help. Wildflr

((((((Wildflr)))))) ~

I haven't seen a post from Pharmacist Steve for awhile, so I hope that he still stops by and will respond to your post.

In the meantime, I searched the Zydus site for information on extended release morphine. Lots of info there, but not the answer you're seeking.

Here's Wikipedia's explanation of extended release, which includes a reference to morphine:

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

It's rather concerning that the manufacturer of the drug doesn't know the answer! Maybe you could try calling again and ask to speak to someone, like a scientist or biochemist, who makes the drug for them. Customer service should have transferred you to someone, who could help you. If they didn't, I'd call back and demand to speak to someone with knowledge, or to a supervisor to complain.

Have you asked your prescribing physician?

Hoping you get an answer soon.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

hey wildflr ,

this information is from this website: Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

at the beginning of the page there is a list of all the names this medication may go by. i don't know the name of the med you are taking or how often you are taking it.

i tried to copy the chart as a chart, but i don't think it translates well into this forum format. if you look at the chart on the page, you can make more sense out of it. PO means by mouth and perhaps PO-ER is extended release by mouth. above the chart are the words "Half-Life". "Half-Life" is the amount of time it takes for half of the med you have taken to leave your body. it says that morphine (in adults) has a half life of 2-4 hours. that means that half of the drug you have taken has been excreted by your body within 2 to 4 hours. so, if you take a 60mg. pill, then 30 mg. of it will be gone within 2 to 4 hours. this prolly can vary due to many factors, maybe even because you are taking an extended release version of the drug. the chart on the website page would prolly be more helpful.

pharmacists should definitely know the half life of drugs and how much of a drug is released over time. your doctor can also look it up for you.

Pharmacokinetics

Absorption: Variably absorbed (about 30%) following oral administration. More reliably absorbed from rectal, subcut, and IM sites. Following epidural administration, systemic absorption and absorption into the intrathecal space via the meninges occurs.

Distribution: Widely distributed. Crosses the placenta; enters breast milk in small amounts.

Protein Binding: Premature infants: <20%; Adults: 35%.

Metabolism and Excretion: Mostly metabolized by the liver. Active metabolites excreted renally.

Half-life: Premature neonates: 10–20 hr; Neonates: 7.6 hr; Infants 1–3 mo: 6.2 hr; Children 6 mo–2.5 yr: 2.9 hr; Children 3–6 yr: 1–2 hr; Children 6–19 yr with sickle cell disease: 1.3 hr; Adults: 2–4 hr.

TIME/ACTION PROFILE (analgesia)
      ROUTE ONSET PEAK DURATION
      PO unknown 60 min 4–5 hr
      PO-ER unknown 3–4 hr 8–24 hr
      IM 10–30 min 30–60 min 4–5 hr
      Subcut 20 min 50–90 min 4–5 hr
      Rect unknown 20–60 min 3–7 hr
      IV rapid 20 min 4–5 hr
      Epidural 6–30 min 1 hr up to 24 hr
      IT rapid (min) unknown up to 24 hr
      i hope this has helped,
      jeannie
      Last edited by tic chick; 02-26-2018, 10:35 AM.
      WE ARE BT!
      "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
      "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
      "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

Comment

Thank you so much Earth Mother 2 Angels, I think you are an angel also. Sorry it has taken so long for the reply, my computer got hit with the zeus virus and I had to take it to the shop for a through cleaning. Plus the dirty dogs were using my computer to send and receive child ****o. It is really bad that these people can ruin your computer. anyway I checked out the web site and it helped a lot. I am 70 years old now and computer are getting too advanced for me. You are really sweet and may God bless you and your boys.... Wildflr

Comment

Sorry tic chick, I will be back to thank you. OH my maybe it timr for me to retire from the computer, bur now I have to use up $275.00 repair bill. Wildflr

Comment

((((((Wildflr)))))) ~

Bless your heart! I'm nearly 70, and I agree with you that technology is getting more difficult to understand! You're not alone!

I'm glad that you were able to glean something from the link, and I hope it helps you.

Feel free to use up your repair bill here! We'll be happy to help you and keep you company!

Love & Light,

Rose
            Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Working...
            X