fainted apparently...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fainted apparently...

I didn't know where to put this so I'm putting it in the general section. After going to the restroom I had a stomach ache and the next thing I knew I was on the floor with someone telling me I had fainted for half a second or so. I have never been dizzy before or fainted before. No health issues. I have had Cerebral Palsy since birth. I do NOT have epilepsy. No weird movements during episode. I drank something with sugar after just in case. I'm NOT diabetic. I feel normal now. Any idea what could cause an episode like this??? Help?
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

hey funnylegs!

when i was about 12, i had tonsillitis. my mom took me to the er because i had 104 fever. it was my first time in the er. they said they were going to give me a shot. i hated shots. was terrified of them. they gave me a shot, i stood up to walk out of the room with my mom and i fainted. i had never fainted before and have never fainted since. everyone asked my mom why she didn't say i was allergic to penicillin (they assumed that's why i fainted). my mom said i had never been given penicillin before. they told her i was allergic to it. fast forward through the years and everytime a doctor's office asked if i was allergic to a drug, i always said "penicillin".

one day, a doctor asked me how i knew i was allergic to penicillin. i told him the story and he said i prolly wasn't allergic to it, i was just scared of the shot and my blood pressure dropped when i stood up after the shot. he said that was "orthostatic hypotension". my blood pressure tends to run low, but i have never fainted because it got too low. anyways. i have taken penicillin since then and nothing has happened.

sometimes when you push to have a bm, your bp might go up with the pushing, then when you stand up, you get the orthostatic hypotension. maybe you had a minor stomach virus. i read in your other post, same subject, different forum, that you were going to your doc. i am sure everything will be fine. fainting is not always a sign of a serious condition, especially a one time occurence. i'm glad you're getting checked out, though. it will ease your mind.

thank you for sharing,
    jeannie
    WE ARE BT!
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

Comment

((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

Like Jeannie, I also thought of the pressure associated with a bowel movement, since you mentioned the bathroom and an upset stomach. I witnessed an elderly patient have "vasovagal syncope" after straining in the bathroom. (Jon was misplaced in a hospital ward with 3 elderly men, while awaiting his own room.)

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

Please let us know what your doctor says tomorrow.

Love & Light,

Rose
      Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Originally posted by tic chick View Post
        hey funnylegs!

when i was about 12, i had tonsillitis. my mom took me to the er because i had 104 fever. it was my first time in the er. they said they were going to give me a shot. i hated shots. was terrified of them. they gave me a shot, i stood up to walk out of the room with my mom and i fainted. i had never fainted before and have never fainted since. everyone asked my mom why she didn't say i was allergic to penicillin (they assumed that's why i fainted). my mom said i had never been given penicillin before. they told her i was allergic to it. fast forward through the years and everytime a doctor's office asked if i was allergic to a drug, i always said "penicillin".

one day, a doctor asked me how i knew i was allergic to penicillin. i told him the story and he said i prolly wasn't allergic to it, i was just scared of the shot and my blood pressure dropped when i stood up after the shot. he said that was "orthostatic hypotension". my blood pressure tends to run low, but i have never fainted because it got too low. anyways. i have taken penicillin since then and nothing has happened.

sometimes when you push to have a bm, your bp might go up with the pushing, then when you stand up, you get the orthostatic hypotension. maybe you had a minor stomach virus. i read in your other post, same subject, different forum, that you were going to your doc. i am sure everything will be fine. fainting is not always a sign of a serious condition, especially a one time occurence. i'm glad you're getting checked out, though. it will ease your mind.

thank you for sharing,
        jeannie
        Thank you so much Jeanie! When I described the event to my doc via phone she thought I had a virus and had a bad reaction. I felt kinda like when I would get stomach virus in grade school from the other kids. Like the same desire to vomit. I will be more careful when I "go" now. About 11 years back I was temporally diagnosed with high BP but on a second opinion this was reversed and I was told my BP was normal. Could a BP problem be showing up again? I have a morbid mind so I feel better being checked. I do NOT want this to happen when I am working.

Rose, I will update you.
        My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

Comment

hey funnylegs!

rose's link was really helpful and i'm pretty sure that's what i had after my shot. seems like a few causes the article mentioned might also apply to you, like being in the heated environment, then going to the bathroom and feeling sick. i think you prolly got light headed for a second or two and fell because you were down for such a short time.

if you've had your bp taken recently and it was ok, it doesn't seem to me that high bp would be the cause. high bp usually develops over time, although sometimes when you are sick your bp goes up a little (that always happens to me), but not enough to cause lasting complications and then it goes back to normal.

i would think a few simple tests would probably give you an "all-clear" dx. i worry about unexplained symptoms. then i think and if i can find a plausible reason for them, i go with that and wait. if i don't improve, i go to the doctor. your doctor's explanation that she thought it sounded like a reaction to a virus seems plausible.

take care of yourself, but don't worry TOO much ,
          jeannie
          Last edited by tic chick; 02-19-2018, 08:51 PM.
          WE ARE BT!
          "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
          "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
          "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

Comment

Hi,
            I went to my Drs appointment today. It went well. I described what happened in detail. The passing out got her attention for sure. She was shocked because I am apparently one of her healthiest patients. She kept asking me if I felt light headed or dizzy again and again as she tested me. I didn’t. She did the usual tests then tested my BP, blood and tested the electrical activity in my heart. I think the heart test was called either EEG or EKG. I forget. I have seen those tests on TV but I didn’t enjoy it being done to me. It freaked me out being wired up! It helped that the nurse performing the test was a fan of my work. She said my electrical activity in my heart was normal. My BP and temp were slightly higher than normal but she said that was from the virus she thought I had, and my obvious stress from the situation especially since the heart rate went down the 2nd time she tested the BP. I asked her what she thought the passing out was from. She said the blood had pooled in my lower body and away from my brain from overheating and moving too fast, so I passed out. So its the same as in Rose's link. Vasovagal Syncope. I have to go slow in heated environments and avoid hot showers and sit after baths. I can resume my usual activities. I don’t have to disclose this condition or take extra steps unless I feel light headed, if I do I’m supposed to sit on the floor immediately(like the character in my film did). She did not think the fainting was dangerous but wants me to get a heart ultrasound to make sure I don’t have a heart valve malfunction or a hole in my heart. That was a bit alarming but I don’t want heart disease so I’m happy to check to be safe instead of sorry. I told her I have a huge fear of heart diseases so she felt it was better to check to ensure it does not happen when working etc. Please pray the ultrasound reveals normal results!! I do NOT want heart surgery or problems. Thanks Rose and Jeanie! You are awesome!

Comment

((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

Most likely you had an EKG to test your heart; an EEG tests your brain. An EEG is much more annoying, with a cap on your head and electrodes glued to your scalp. The ultrasound will be much easier to tolerate.

I feel strongly that you had vasovagal syncope and that your heart is fine. It's best to have everything checked out, so that you can relax and be confident that your heart is in good shape.

It might be a good idea for you to get a wristband BP monitor and take your BP periodically everyday (at the same time each day). When you wake up and get out of bed, after meals, when you feel especially stressed, before bed, etc. Keep a chart. This will help your physician in diagnosing you.

Your heart rate and BP could have been elevated simply because you were stressed and worried about fainting and heart problems. Many people have a higher BP in the doctor's office than they have when they are at home resting.

Try to release your fears and trust that you are well. Visualize a healthy heart beating inside your chest. Fear creates stress, and you know that isn't good for you (or anyone).

I'm glad the link was helpful. I have an unusual amount of experience in the medical world, and it's good to know that it's useful.

Be well and get some sleep ~

Love & Light,

Rose
              Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Originally posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post
                ((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

Most likely you had an EKG to test your heart; an EEG tests your brain. An EEG is much more annoying, with a cap on your head and electrodes glued to your scalp. The ultrasound will be much easier to tolerate.

I feel strongly that you had vasovagal syncope and that your heart is fine. It's best to have everything checked out, so that you can relax and be confident that your heart is in good shape.

It might be a good idea for you to get a wristband BP monitor and take your BP periodically everyday (at the same time each day). When you wake up and get out of bed, after meals, when you feel especially stressed, before bed, etc. Keep a chart. This will help your physician in diagnosing you.

Your heart rate and BP could have been elevated simply because you were stressed and worried about fainting and heart problems. Many people have a higher BP in the doctor's office than they have when they are at home resting.

Try to release your fears and trust that you are well. Visualize a healthy heart beating inside your chest. Fear creates stress, and you know that isn't good for you (or anyone).

I'm glad the link was helpful. I have an unusual amount of experience in the medical world, and it's good to know that it's useful.

Be well and get some sleep ~

Love & Light,

Rose
                Thanks for the clarification on which test Rose!! I guess I will always have a risk of passing out from this for the rest of my life if its definitely vasovagal syncope? Crap. I don't want people hovering over me or treating me as fragile because of this. I am resting and trying not to worry. Yes this forum is very helpful and I feel like I can better communicate with my docs because of you. My doc also mentioned the DRs office causing people to have high BP. How would I get a BP monitor? How much does it cost to get one that has reliable results??? A device like that would likely just make me stressed every time I put it on, but I can try it. Do you mean Kardiamobile like on TV?
                Last edited by funnylegs4; 02-20-2018, 06:29 PM.

Comment

((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

You can probably find an assortment of BP monitors at your local drug stores, for as little as $15 up to over $100. Here's an example:

A wrist BP monitor would be easier to manage and to carry along with you in a backpack or purse. Think of it as a data gathering device, which will help you and your doctor manage your health better. You are the project!

I don't think that vasovagal syncope is a long term condition. It may very well have been a situational/circumstantial occurrence for you, where things came together in a perfect storm to cause it to happen. Let's think positively.

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

Originally posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post
                    ((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

You can probably find an assortment of BP monitors at your local drug stores, for as little as $15 up to over $100. Here's an example:

A wrist BP monitor would be easier to manage and to carry along with you in a backpack or purse. Think of it as a data gathering device, which will help you and your doctor manage your health better. You are the project!

I don't think that vasovagal syncope is a long term condition. It may very well have been a situational/circumstantial occurrence for you, where things came together in a perfect storm to cause it to happen. Let's think positively.

Love & Light,

Rose
                    I will look into this but at this point my doc does not think I need it. Thanks so much Rose!

Comment

My heart test is on Thursday. Pray for me please. They showed me the estimated bill for all this...and yikes...do these people think I'm made of money? Ugh. I swear the medical profession over charges.

Comment

My appointment for my test was rescheduled because of awful weather. I'll keep you posted.

Comment

So I had my other heart test,not the ultrasound just another EKG. All came back normal so far so he thinks its a harmless form of fainting and most faints have unknown causes. Then I'm supposed to get the ultrasound and a 24 hrs heart rhythm test thing later...ugh. Its like if you think this is harmless why do I have to keep doing the tests? He responded saying because of the Cerebral Palsy they want to check it out since the CP is a sign my brain did lose blood flow at one point. Me: (in mind, sarcastic) Great. :(
                          Oh and my heart murmur is still there. Yuck. Would be interesting to find out if this caused my Cerebral Palsy though whatever it is.

Comment

So I called a different doctor because I was a bit annoyed with the first one, just to get some info and see how the heart tests might work. This new guy was much more specific which I LOVED. It sounded like my heart monitor if I had one would be a Holter Monitor(I think that's how its spelled) and it does have sticky electrodes and is pretty small which is good. The downside is you can't accidentally sleep directly on it or it will screw the result. Like the electrodes can still fall off during sleep and you need a good sleep with it in order for the result to work. I had tried to explain my involuntary movement during sleep to the first doc, and the first doc basically blew me off when I brought that up. ugh! I know my own body darn it. I even tested to see if my body could remain still enough a few nights ago and so far nope. Too much movement. I started on my back and in the morning I was on my stomach. The new doc said if my EKGs are normal I probably don't need the monitor. The new doc suggested I get an ultrasound with the first doc then either ask the first doc to ultrasound some of my arteries/veins while he's at it to see why I flushed before fainting because it could mean my arteries or veins are out of whack, or I can go to the new doc to get the arteries done. The ultrasounds make way more sense to me than the monitor at this point. Only thing that I didn't like was this new doc said my murmer could get bigger if I'm not careful. :( Will keep ya posted.

Comment

So today I was in basically the same circumstance that I was in on the day I fainted. Being in this situation was out of necessity and I had been avoiding this type of environment since I fainted as I did not want to faint again. I was careful and slow just in case. Good news, this time NOTHING happened. I felt completely normal. No dizziness, paleness,vomiting etc at all. My heart seemed to be beating at a normal rate. Only thing I noticed was I had a tiny bit of flushing in my feet so I still want my veins checked. After this good experience and all other tests coming back normal, I'm glad I have not yet consented to the heart monitor as after this I believe the monitor is entirely unnecessary. Just relieved my body is back to its normal. I feel stronger and calmer. I'm 99.9 percent sure my fainting spell was the virus and my primary care doc agrees at the moment. Yay!

Comment

Working...
                              X