Any suggestions for handling dental appointments with SPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any suggestions for handling dental appointments with SPS

My Spapsms from my SPS are having a secondary consequence on my teeth. For years I have worn a soft mouth guard at night religiously, but as my SPS progresses it has caused my teeth to crack and chip. All the medications also lead to tooth decay, weakness. I am now having to get crowns and root canals. Even just standard cleanings set off my spasms. I take an extra Baclofen a few hrs before I go. I also take dark sunglasses and keep my eyes closed as much as possible to avoid the light. I have tried to explain the disease and have also insisted they put a mouth bite in so that if I do go into spasms I won't bite them, or their instruments which would shatter my teeth. They can't have the mouth bite in while they are cleaning though. Between the noise of the instruments, the bright lights and having to hold my head and jaw in a set position for so long really makes spasms and cramps worsen.

Starting another crown this week so any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Kicking It

Re dental problems with Stiff Person Syndrome, I am not a doc. But my neuro has me take an extra 4 mg of Tizanidine before my infusions for that reason—to lower chance of spasm during infusion.

If spasm, he told me to take 8 mg right off the bat. So, I wonder if taking the 8 mg an hour before dental appointment could help? I would call your neuro and ask for the Rx . The Baclofen is more like a long acting drug. Tizanidine is prevention and crisis drug I think...let me know what you learn.

I met a guy at the infusion center with SPS who had your dental issue. I will email him and ask.

Also, tell me about the Meds that increase dental problems. My mouth is dry from my Baclofen and Tizanidine. I too wear a mouth guard to protect teeth from clenching at night. I never put it together with SPS, so now I wonder....
    Last edited by Sunshine; 02-09-2018, 02:25 AM.

Comment

Okay, here is his reply:

His dental experience was different in that it specifically triggered diaphram spasms. He has diazepam suppositories and Used one of those when He got home.

He also needed iv Ativan to break the spasm which He got at the IVIG infusion center. He (and I) have a PRN order for Ativan there.

He thinks hus trigger at the dentist wasn't the lights or the noise but the numbing of the nerves in his mouth.

Comment

((((((Martha)))))) ~

I thought about Ativan, perhaps 1 mg, prior to your dental treatment. My boys used to need Ativan for dental work, and their dentist also used nitrous oxide given with O2.

Some oral surgeons use a light sedative via IV. The sedation lasts only as long as the procedure, and the patient can wake up quickly after it's discontinued. Our oral surgeons are DMD, not DDS, which does make a difference in what procedures they perform.

I have anxiety with dental work, and I've learned a relaxation technique, which helps me greatly. I clear my mind and begin by focusing on the top of my head, breathing in through the nose and exhaling through the mouth slowly. I relax my forehead, then my eyes, my mouth, etc. all the way down to my toes. I begin this process as soon as I'm in the chair, before the doctor enters to look in my mouth. I repeat the process as often as I can throughout the procedure.

I don't know whether this would work for you. I just wanted to mention it, in case it could.

Sending lots of healing energy your way for this week's treatment ~

Love & Light,

Rose
        Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

A nice comprehensive post Rose. As a caveat for KickingIt, do be careful about which anesthesia your doc chooses. Some can trigger massive spasms in Stiff Person Syndrome people. My infusion center SPS fellow warrior had such occurrence during a procedure where they put his Baclofen pump in.

And be sure the doc knows about SPS prior to the procedure :)

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
          Last edited by Sunshine; 02-10-2018, 02:15 AM.

Comment

Was nice to have a successful dental visit that was uneventful last week

Comment

Working...
            X