Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Me too! Me too!

Comment

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

Comment

I swam 1/4 mile in 14 minutes. Then I stopped. I have a sinus infection and didn’t want to be a big shot. And my thigh muscle was stiffening. So, time to stop. I hate Stiff Person Syndrome.

Comment

Swam 1/4 mile, 15 minutes today. Muscles are stiffening, hoping they quit doing that!

Comment

Today is chilly, so will just lift arm weights. Unsure what tomorrow brings re swim weather.

In meantime, am trying to educate local county rec head re the inadequacy of their ADA accommodations at the pool. It will be a process. Govt employees are trained to be slow in response.

Comment

I swam a bit over 1/4 mile today : 650 Yards, 19 minutes

As I started my last 25 Yards, my thigh muscle started to contract and the leg wanted to turn in. These are warnings that a spasm is coming,

So, I quickly got out of the pool. I sure didn’t like how that SPS stiffening felt. A friend was sweet enough to stay in the locker room when I showered off, in case i got in trouble.

Am resting at home now and hoping it will stay settled down.

Was glad to swim though, trying to preserve what remaining fitness there is left.

Comment

Today I swam 20 minutes:650 Yards, between a quarter and half mile. I am fit enough to swim my mile, but my muscles stiffen and want to spasm after 1/4 mile. Water was 81,air was 73.

The lack of chilly wind made it better than last time. My muscles want to lock up in the cold
                Last edited by Sunshine; 02-02-2018, 10:08 AM.

Comment

I swam 15 minutes today, 550yards. I cut it #hort to reserve muscle performance to deal with the cold. The pool wS a nice 81; but it was windy and cloudy 69F air. Not to mention the frigid 63F locker room!

Comment

I swam 20 minutes today, 650 Yards. Stiff Person Syndrome makes me startle. As I was swimming past a big black marker in my peripheral vision, I startled, and with th startle, the offended SPS thigh muscle jumped out. It felt awful, so tat ended the swim. But 20 minutes is still good for me :)

It’s the stripping off neoprene in the cold that’s the real challenge!

Comment

Originally posted by Sunshine View Post
                      I swam 20 minutes today, 650 Yards. Stiff Person Syndrome makes me startle. As I was swimming past a big black marker in my peripheral vision, I startled, and with th startle, the offended SPS thigh muscle jumped out. It felt awful, so tat ended the swim. But 20 minutes is still good for me :)

It’s the stripping off neoprene in the cold that’s the real challenge!
                      I don't know how you do the neoprene although I totally understand the need for it. I just don't know how you do it without triggering a spasm. I barely get some of my socks off without having one.

Way to go on the swimming. I know some people can't exercise with SPS, and I have heard some drs don't recommend it, but with RA and spinal issues too the not moving just makes everything worse. I am working on water resistance exercises in warm water and I live on a ranch so I am trying to e back out walking around on it and doing some minor work that allows for bending and stretching. Unfortunately the later is very slow going. Just being able to be out on the land is nice though. It is out in the country and so I do not have to contend with the noises of the city.

Keep up the swimming, it sounds wonderful.

Comment

I used to love swimming.

Now it is a scary chore. I do it to try to be fit, and to be in public. It feels good to immerse in water. But it’s hard to walk, hard to be cold afterwards, hard to gingerly peel the rubber off. My muscles don’t like it. It triggers spasms in midriff. Legs complain, but no spasm yet.

The drive home is scary.

Wish I could walk. But it’s very painful to walk. My legs feel like they’re fractured while walking.

You live on a ranch! How wonderful! Cows? Horses?

Comment

Just wildlife like deer, foxes, ring tails, turkeys, bobcats. I was in a wheelchair the first half of last year so I totally get the leg pain. That is why it is way more challenging for me and going way slower. I have to do it when my back starts screaming from too much time sitting. We have a small razor, (think four wheeling but I only go five to ten miles an hour. I can ride around and put my folding chair out and watch the animals. I put food out for them when I can.

I gave up driving for awhile. Out here it is all two lane roads with no curbs so I don't worry as much. It is not as much sensory input and I can pull off at pretty much any spot without an issue. When I have to go to the city for my drs my husband drives. On really bad days when I have had to go the dr and all the sunlight flashing through the windows and all the traffic I will use an eye mask while he drives. It actually is calming. I do drive into the city once in the while though.

I also try and do the one thing out, every few days. Store, acupuncture, massage, go to small restaurant with my husband on off times. That way if they aren't busy they don't mind turning off the sound on the music or tv. Less crowds but still being among people.

I don't know how you do the neoprene. I have some snug socks that help with support and I have to weigh whether helping my RA or triggering a spasm when I take them on and off is more important on any given day. It is a fine dance as my dr says.

Comment

Maybe try a looser sock, and then use a Velcro situation to wrap around and snug up the soc. When you want to take it off, just undo the Velcro band and the sock becomes loose again. I do that with my neoprene booties. Theyremloose dive booties.

Haven’t figured out the long sleeve, long leg suit yet. Still trying. It’s the cold air that’s the real enemy.

I love your description of your ranch activity. It sounds like you have developed some very clever ways to try to remain in the world and yet protect yourself.

I know what you mean about going to public places. Television and radio noise about send me out of my skin. And television seem to be everywhere, from the gas station pump, to Dr. waiting rooms. It makes me want to scream.

Comment

Too cold yesterday for swim. So I lifted 8 lb weights and five min of arm swinging in chair for aerobic. Best I could do :(

Comment

Swam 600 Yards today, 20 minutes. Again, the walking, the cold and the taking off the neoprene was harder and scarier than the swim.

Comment

Working...
                                X