Anesthesia and Stiff Person Syndrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anesthesia and Stiff Person Syndrome

There have been cases of patients with SPS who develop Locked in Syndrome with certain anesthetics, not with all.

If you’re due for any anesthetic, be sure your Neuro and the anesthesiologist or dentist know about Stiff Person Syndrome ahead of time.

I did this recently for an endoscopy dome to see why I had swallowing problems. I sure wanted the doc to know what she was looking at if I couldn’t move upon awakening.

Conversely, with Propofol , for colonoscopy, I woke up and my Neuro symptoms were gone for @12 hours! It was wonderful to feel healthy! Was dancing around the kitchen.

If you have SPS, have you had such experiences?

Here is a good article on Stiff Person Syndrome and anesthesia
    Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

Comment

thetinman.org is an excellent site for Stiff Person Syndrome. It’s the best centralized source I know of. Here she spend much time talking about anesthesia and Stiff Person Syndrome . Print it out for future reference.

Comment

Anesthesia can cause long term comas in SPS and in others I am told. Anesthesia gives me the creeps! :(
        Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
        My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

Comment

What creeps me out is the case study in the above link. The surgery on the woman with Stiff Person Syndrome was an amputation of Lower legs, done to stop the pain from that location.

One wonders if MMJ would’ve benefitted her pain as was well as other non medical interventions?

Comment

Originally posted by funnylegs4 View Post
            Anesthesia can cause long term comas in SPS and in others I am told. Anesthesia gives me the creeps! :(
            I think it can cause Locked In a Syndrome. Hadn’t heard of comas though in SPS caused by anesthesia.

Comment

An articele in the Dear Dr. Roach newspaper column is about someone with Post polio syndrome reacting badly to “depolarizing muscle relaxant anesthesia). It makes muscles rigid in the body to allow for many types of surgeries.

This type of anesthesia shouldn’t be used on people with neuromuscular disorder, such as those with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy , Post polio patients, and so forth. (Succinylcholine in particular, is a problematic PPD patients)

It only mentions those but does say people with neuromuscular disorders, depolarizing muscle relaxant agents should be used only with great caution

Its worth asking about if you have Stiff Person Syndrome and are having surgery. There are a handful of anesthetic in this category. They are excellent choices for some types of surgeries. Be sure to ask your doc about it if you have a surgery.

Dr Roach said, if possible, avoid these types of anesthesia’s entirely. Or, use a regional anesthetic with a lower risk of prolonged side effects

Comment

Originally posted by Sunshine View Post
                thetinman.org is an excellent site for Stiff Person Syndrome. It’s the best centralized source I know of. Here she spend much time talking about anesthesia and Stiff Person Syndrome . Print it out for future reference.

Nice to see that they have a link to the BrainTalk SPS forum!
                SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by agate View Post
                  Nice to see that they have a link to the BrainTalk SPS forum!
                  I didn’t see a link to it? Where did you see the BT link?

Comment

Working...
                  X