Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keep on Moving Club: January 2018

Distinguished Community Member BBS1951's Avatar

Default Keep on Moving Club: January 2018

MS creates some real challenges to keep on moving. It helps to inspire each other on how to find ways to move.

Did you stretch in your bed, swing your arms, roll side to side today? Or perhaps you did housework? Or exercised in a pool? Tracked your count of steps? Chased your cat around the home? Pushed the wheelchair wheels with your arms at the store? Post them here and we can support and egg each other on.

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

My DH took me surfing today. It started chilly, @58 and ended @65. Luckily no wind, so it was easy in wetsuit. Ocean felt @74.

I was anxious about whether the cold would trigger SPS spasms, so I stayed closer in, away from the peak,which meant it was harder to find a good wave. I spotted a good one, paddled for it and caught it. Just as I was about to pop up, here Came a young buck from my left. He was already on the wave: it was his wave, not mine. So I bailed and shouted “sorry!”. No harm no foul.

Two other very mediocre waves, forgettable. My own fault for avoiding the peak. Lesson learned.

But it was wonderful to be in the ocean with five good buddies. ... and the cold didn’t trigger spasms. And wrestling out of the wetsuit didn’t trigger spasms either.

Next time!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BBS1951; 01-01-2018 at 11:56 AM.

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Impressive photo, BBS!
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Nice photo BBS. So, you went surfing on New Year's Day! Wonderful way to start the year.
    Virginia

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

December pedometer readings average: 1145 steps/day--somewhat better than the 1105 for November

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

You’re stats are inspiring! Keep on going :)

Too cold to swim. If the locker room was close to the pool and heated, would be mo better.

This is fun surfing in icy ocean.https://vimeo.com/249618865

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

On Saturday I racked up 2,085 steps--unusual for me these days, and I spent the next couple of days taking it very easy. Saturday was patio-clearing day and I was on my feet washing off pots and other plant items (rocks, pot shards, stakes) to get the dirt and bugs off. I was also moving several plant stand gizmos indoors while cleaning them up as well. For me this was a lot of activity.

A couple of years ago this same type of activity wiped me out every time I tackled it. My walking would have been very iffy for days--wavering, stumbling, uncertain--and my arms would have been trembly and tingling. I'd have been easily confused, with a very bad short-term memory.

This time I got off easy. The whole effect wasn't nearly as severe. I took 2-hour naps for a couple of days and tried to put off any physical effort until I felt really ready for it.

I don't know how to explain this apparent improvement but I like to think that the daily exercises have been helping.

Also, the weather has been cool for months. Other times when I've had to do this kind of thing have often been hot-weather times.

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

I have to confess, I do very little walking. Most days, I'm siting like I am now, on the edge of the bed, one leg hanging to the floor, the other leg crossed in front of me, and Sam lying in the triangle my legs form. I call it the "cubby hole" and Sam loves it there. Enjoying my body heat.

The days I go to the store are my most active. Walking to the car, getting out at the store, and walking in. Once inside, I use the electric cart. If I buy more than I can carry out to the car, I always tell them I taking the cart to my car. There is a sign on every cart that they are for store use only. They always give me permission.

I try to buy only enough that I can just carry everything out to the car without the cart.

I fix a quick meal, and eat on a tray in my room on the bed. Then carry it back to the kitchen, wash it, put it away, then grab a beer, and return to my bed. Since I drink beer until I go to bed, I only get them one at a time so I have to walk from my room, to the kitchen, and back, getting another.

I want to get a pedometer, just to see how many steps I do both daily, and on a store day. I might be surprised.

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Yes, it might surprise you, sounds like grocery day is a day of activity. I wonder if you could approximate it within your home on non grocery days?

Agate, I was thinking the same thing, that your increased walking might indeed have resulted in better tolerance.

The county pool is still too cold to swim. Hoping by Thursday will be okay. Swimming is only thing I can tolerate with SPS without severe pain and spasms.

In the meantime, there is the daily activity of driving to the store, walking from the car to the inside and back. And, at home daily I climb about 4-6 flights during the course of the day.

Today I also boxed up books and framed photos to get ready to move in 12 months.

And cooking takes moving around, as you know. As does washing dishes and cleaning up.
    I lift 6 pound weights for about 10 minutes twice weekly. Today increased it to 8 lbs,
    Last edited by BBS1951; 01-09-2018 at 12:58 PM.

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Congratulations on increasing the weights you're lifting! I always thought you were doing well if you increased the weight by 1 lb. but you've jumped 2 lbs.--sounds good to me.

I also do daily exercises in addition to trying to walk more. It's only about a minute in the morning and about 15 minutes in the evening but I never skip them. I've postponed some of them by a day but I always catch up. I'm very very serious about exercise nowadays.

This is from somebody who never liked sports in school. I loved calisthenics and swimming but we didn't do much of those. Mostly we had team sports--volleyball, baseball, basketball.

Howie, my first two pedometers were freebies. I don't know offhand of any place that is giving away pedometers any more but if you do a search for "free pedometers," you'll find quite a few selling for only a couple of dollars. They may not be the best-performing ones but at least you could find out whether you could live with a pedometer.

On the other hand, some inexpensive items turn out to be really excellent.

--This board, for instance, doesn't cost us a cent and it's really excellent.

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast