No announcement yet.

Book Club: What are you reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linda, I noticed Lilac Girls is on your list for April. I have read that and enjoyed it a lot.

Just finished reading Olive Kitteridge and More Olive back to back. I am glad I read them in that order because More Olive just picked up where Olive Kitteridge left off.
    I really enjoyed Olive Kitteridge and actually enjoyed More Olive but I found it to be sad, especially the last half. I was going to read another one of her books but decided to wait until another time. I chose something else for now.
    Virginia

Comment

I've been reading Unbeiievable: My Front-Row Seat to the Craziest Campaign in American History by Katy Tur. The author, a reporter, covered the Trump campaign for the election of 2016.

Before that I read A Few Red Drops: The Chicago Race Riot of 1919 by Claire Hartfield. It was well done and informative. It's a book for junior and senior high school readers but I was reading it because I knew the author--when she was a teenager.

She and her 3 sisters lived with their parents very near us, and she often babysat for us. I knew the mother too, as well as the 3 other girls, but Claire was the one I knew best. I lost track of her when we moved away but I ran across her name in a review of her book and of course had to read it. She became a lawyer but she also has written some books for children.
      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by agate View Post
        I've been reading Unbeiievable: My Front-Row Seat to the Craziest Campaign in American History by Katy Tur. The author, a reporter, covered the Trump campaign for the election of 2016.

Before that I read A Few Red Drops: The Chicago Race Riot of 1919 by Claire Hartfield. It was well done and informative. It's a book for junior and senior high school readers but I was reading it because I knew the author--when she was a teenager.

She and her 3 sisters lived with their parents very near us, and she often babysat for us. I knew the mother too, as well as the 3 other girls, but Claire was the one I knew best. I lost track of her when we moved away but I ran across her name in a review of her book and of course had to read it. She became a lawyer but she also has written some books for children.
        Interesting history....I can understand there must be a special thrill reading a book when you know the author!
        Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

Comment

I am reading The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom. I am reading this with my book club. It has turned out to be a very interesting book. She wrote another one after this. The title is Glory Over Everything. I will decide if I want to get that one through Amazon when I finish this one. When I read a book with the book club I read library books, but someone else picks them up and brings them to me.

This is mainly about a young girl from Ireland. Her parents died on trip over on the boat and a man took her to his plantation and she works in the Kitchen House. Everyone is black and she is white. They become her family. It is about 400 pages long and I like long books if they are good.

Agate, interesting experience, finding this Author's name after knowing her all that many years ago.
          Virginia

Comment

Mom just read three of her Christmas books: Olive Again, The Dutch House, and The Stars are Fire. All recommendations from here. She loved them, thank you. :-)

Virginia, please do let us know about the Kitchen House. Mom loves long, good books.

Her fourth book is a collection of stories from public radio’s The Moth:

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

ANN
            There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Comment

Originally posted by stillstANNding View Post
              Mom just read three of her Christmas books: Olive Again, The Dutch House, and The Stars are Fire. All recommendations from here. She loved them, thank you. :-)

Virginia, please do let us know about the Kitchen House. Mom loves long, good books.

Her fourth book is a collection of stories from public radio’s The Moth:

ANN
              I just finished The Dutch House on Audible. Good, interesting, not great but I am glad I read it.
              Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

Comment

The Kitchen House turned out to be a good book. I have been reading a lot at night in order to keep my mind off everything that goes on in the daytime and to calm me down in general. A young girl about 7 years of age is orphaned when both her parents die on board a boat bringing them from Ireland in the early 1800s. She is put to work in The Kitchen House on a plantation in Southern Virginia. The black people there are kind to her and become her family. Eventually, she is taken into the Big House with the white people, but she never looses her love for those she thinks of as her family and the people who were always so kind to her.

I have the follow up to this book on my Kindle and I might read it again.
                Virginia

Comment

Hi everyone! I'm not sure if anyone is interested in books related to caregiving but if you are, then have a look at my latest co-authored book, The Unexpected Journey of Caring: The Transformation of Loved One to Caregiver (Rowman & Littlefield, 2019 with a foreword by Judy Woodruff). And if you are a parent of a child with disability, you might like my first book, The Four Walls of My Freedom: Lessons I've Learned From a Life of Caregiving (The House of Anansi Press, 2014). Happy reading, everyone!
                  Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
                  Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

Comment

I haven't participated in this thread because I have great difficulty reading. I either fall asleep or have double , even triple vision when trying to read much.
                    My sweet daughter gave me a 3 month subscription to Libro.fm, an audio book program which supports the small independent bookstores (a pet cause of hers).
                    One book a month to be chosen from an extensive list of choices.

Started my first audio book last night - Talking To Strangers. Interesting so far. Looking forward to your recommendations. I'm envious of you voracious readers!

Comment

Donna Thomson, I found your book right away online:

That is so impressive! And with a Foreword by Judy Woodruff too (I always watch her newscast on PBS). Thank you for alerting us to your remarkable book on an important topic.

nuthatch, i probably mentioned before that most of my reading has been done through audio books since around 1982. You get used to the format fairly quickly.

Some of the commercial audiobooks supply background music and dramatic narrators with changing voices for dialogue but I'm used to the readers who just read the text.
                      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Agate, how do you get audio books with zero sound effects. Just reading. Idon’t mind voice inflection, but do not want music or sound effects.

Comment

The National Library Service Talking Books program has been going on for many decades and they have their own narrators who are always very good, IMO. No background music or sound effects.

BUT in recent years they've started adding occasional commercial audiobooks to their catalog, and sometimes I get one of those. If you're careful about ordering you can avoid them but if I want the book badly enough, I'll put up with the unwelcome features.

People with MS are often eligible for this service. Now the books are available for download as well as on cartridges. I'm still getting the cartridges though. The download process is a bit of a nuisance, and I'm more likely to read a book if I need to return it by a certain date.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunshine View Post
                            Agate, how do you get audio books with zero sound effects. Just reading. Idon’t mind voice inflection, but do not want music or sound effects.
                            I use audible and the readings are quite good. Just finished The Dutch House and tom Hanks was the reader.
                            Linda~~~~

Comment

hey all ,

i just finished the alphabet (a-b-c...) mystery series by sue grafton. the series ended at the letter "y" because sue grafton died in 2017 before she could start the final "z" book in the series.

now i start the last four books in a series by jeffrey deaver featuring the characters lincoln rhyme and amelia sachs. the tv premier of the lincoln rhyme book series starts tonight on nbc at 8pm est. it's called "the bone collector", which was the name of the first book in the series.

i tend to read books in the psychological thriller/murder mystery genre, although i also like scott turow (mostly law) and amy tan. i had started a book by gabriel garcia marquez, but i couldn't sit long enough to get into the detailed novel. i'll try again.

i read this thread to try and see what other authors and books might appeal to me.

thanks for all your recommendations and opinions!

jeannie (tic chick)
                              WE ARE BT!
                              "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
                              "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
                              "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

Comment

I couldn't get into Gabriel Garcia-Marquez either.

I read and liked The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan. I believe I also saw a movie of it. Is Amy Tan still in a rock band?

Comment

Working...
                                X