Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Book Club: What are you reading?

Distinguished Community Member BBS1951's Avatar

Default Book Club: What are you reading?

Personally, I love to read. I read the old fashion kind, not digital. Just like holding the book! Reading is something I can do. And I have to rest so much, it’s a source of entertainment.

I thought it would be nice to hear what people are or were, or are going to read. In the past, I got my best ideas for book selection from a cooking website that reviews books.

I just finished Michael Connelly’s newest book, Two Truths. It’s another Harry Bosch book and has a good plot, as usual. It takes place after the election of D.Trump. He is never mentioned, but there are a few wise allusions to his pathology. The title of the book points to Trumps idea of truth, but the book is about other truths ....his book will give you a good peak behind the criminal aspects of the opioid epidemic. It’s an alarming part of the epidemic, one I didn’t know about. Connelly (and John Sandford) are my favorite mystery writers.

Now I will read East of Eden by John Steinbeck.i loved it 20+ years ago and cannot recall any of it, so I get to read it again. It’s an advantage to being older, forgetting plots read many years ago.so far, none of it rings a bell!

I look forward to hearing about your reads!
    Last edited by BBS1951; 12-07-2017 at 11:38 AM.

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Michael Connelly is also one of my very favorite writers. I have read all the Harry Bosch series with the exception of this one and will soon read it.

I would like to recommend "Necessary Lies" by Diane Chamberlain. Everyone can go on Amazon and see what they have to say about it and see if they think they would like it.
    Virginia

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

--And one advantage to having MS is that I tend to forget the plots of most books (and movies) almost as soon as I've finished them. But the book I'm reading (listening to) at the moment has no real plot because it's a biography--of the actress Marlene Dietrich and the film-maker Leni Riefenstahl.

I haven't seen any of Riefenstahl's movies (and hope I never do) and haven't seen much of Marlene Dietrich either but am interested in both of them. Riefenstahl made propaganda movies for Hitler. Marlene Dietrich was opposed to Hitler.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

6. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

I just got a book today. The title is something like "a Gentleman in Moscow"...I it is by Amor Towles? got it because a friend called me and told me I ABSOLUTELY had to read it. I trust her and so got the book!

I am reading a mystery by Elisabeth Rostova titled The Shadow Land. Another friend told me to read it. She said the author is a historian and the book is very good.

So, I am spreading my reading wings.
    Last edited by Lazarus; 12-07-2017 at 03:33 PM.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

The Gentleman in Moscow book got good reviews. Sometimes fine literature books are not my favorite.

To wit, I have a book called The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt which all the literary people swooned over. Some of it is very engaging and thoughtful. But I find myself wishing her editor had pared it down. I guess I will return to it at some point. Because the parts of it that are good were indeed excellent. The author has a fine eye for people’s nuances, non verbal communications in relationships, interior dialogue, subtle family pathology of casual hurts.

Virginia, Connelly also wrote Late Show this year. It’s a new lead detective. A woman. Very well done. Yes, I too have rad everything Michael Connelly wrote.

This thread is going to be fun to read and re read. I am already making a list from the above book recs!

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

It seems I'm also re-reading MANSFIELD PARK by Jane Austen. I had requested it from the library some time ago, and it finally arrived today. It may be a while before I get to it because I need to read the other book sooner.

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Linda, "A Gentleman in Moscow" was wonderful. The further into you get the more you will like it. It has humor and warmth and is so well written. I hope your friend did not tell you the ending. I am going to have to look up "The Shadow Land". Sounds kind of familiar, but I am not sure if I have read it or not.

BBS, I knew Connelly had written a new woman book, but that one I have not read. When I went to my Kindle this afternoon just to refresh my memory about my books on that, I saw that the Harry Bosch one we were discussing is the one I had bookmarked for next.
    When I first started reading the Bosch series I looked up the order in which they were written and read them in order. I was sorry when I ran out, but then he has kept writing some in that series.
    Virginia

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

I re read Black Ice last month. Which I had loved years ago but had no memory of the plot. His writing has sig improved since then. Black Ice is no longer as great to me as originally was.

16. The following 6 users say "thanks"

I think most everyone on here could get "A Gentleman in Moscow". Agate could see if she could get it in her audio books. It is really good. I just fell in love with the main character. He has such humor and is so easy going and caring.
    Virginia

18. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

I looked up Amor Towles and A Gentleman in Moscow. Yes, the NLS has it, and I put in a request for it. Even if nobody else here wants to read or discuss it, I'd like to read it.

On the author's Website there is some information about Moscow's Metropol Hotel, which must be where the main character spends his time--or in a hotel modeled on it? This interests me because I just read a book about that very hotel --a factual memoir by Ludmilla Petrushevskaya, who spent much of her childhood there. The book is The Girl from the Metropol Hotel (2006).

Her family were "old Bolsheviks" who had definitely fallen out of favor. She had a very harsh childhood in spite of the luxury hotel they lived in for some of the time.

20. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast