Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Keep on Moving Club: Sept. 2017

Distinguished Community Member BBS1951's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by agate View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The two chairs idea is nifty, Howie. You don't have to keep moving chairs around!

I often have to move chairs (and other furniture) around just to make room for the wheelchair I'm often using, in other places. So the wheelchair that is supposed to help with a disability actually tires me out because of the effort involved in moving furniture to make way for it--and of course there are the doors that don't automatically open, the curbcuts that aren't there and I have to make a detour, etc.

That Americans with Disabilities Act has a lot of loopholes in it, evidently.

There hasn't been even 70% compliance so far as I can figure out.

ANN, I agree about the laundry pile. What it says to me is, "And just what are you going to wear if you let this go undone?"

We can't all go around wearing just a thong.
    And why aren't toilets in handicap stalls required to be higher? Even docs are way too low. I end up having to stand over and pee like a guy. Can't squat

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Frog42's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BBS1951 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And why aren't toilets in handicap stalls required to be higher? Even docs are way too low. I end up having to stand over and pee like a guy. Can't squat
    I usually end up in a regular stall because the seat in the handicap is too tall for me. My legs dangle if I can manage to get up on the seat. Two sides to every coin and all that...

Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz

4. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Vicky, regulations might be different in different parts of the country but I've never noticed that the toilets in the handicapped stalls were especially high. The grab bars are what I depend on.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Vicky, you must be a short person.

All you guys have been smart today, even Howie got a lot done.

I went out to the UPS store to mail some things, went through the drive thru at bank, got my nails done, went to Whole Foods, then to Lowe's Foods and then to Panera to get something for supper. I just find I am not as smart as Howie. On the days I do grocery shopping I usually get something out and bring it in. I leave the cooking for the next day.

Hope Agate's day and evening are less exciting than the one she recently had in her building. Agate, you are such a responsible person that you are probably the only one they really feel comfortable turning things over to.
    Virginia

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Thank you, Virginia! The repair guy actually arrived and I hope fixed the system but time will tell. At least I no longer need to wait for him. I was sure he wouldn't be around on the weekend or Monday but was glad he turned up this morning.

Vicky is short, you say? Doesn't she spend part of her time as a frog, though? Frogs are what I'd call short.

10. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member BBS1951's Avatar

Default Surfing

DH took me surfing this morning. I was fearful since the waves were forecasted to be waist to stomach high, which used to be a gas, but I worried if my body could handle the paddle out and wipeouts. But I thought it was good to see.

We got there and it was very crowded as the forecast was so promising. Maybe 50 dudes in the water.it was knee to thigh high with an occasional waist high. It was thick with seaweed. When it wraps around your leash, it becomes an anchor, ..my friends groomed it because they know I can't do a pretzel to grab it.

There was plenty excitement in the lineup and chatter about the swell filtering in mid week. It will be bombing next weekend. All the characters were there. It's like coming home.

I lasted almost an hour including walking to,the beach and a 5 minute time out mid sesh to settle down the leg chatter.

I took in a bunch of waves, and two were my keeper waves-- am still on that last wave. The energy of the wave transfers from the board To my legs, making it easier to flex which is impossible on land. Such freedom!

This infusion yesterday may be helping. I recovered very quickly from the surfing. And have had almost no neuropathy the rest of the day.

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

BBS, another great surfing day. I love to hear you talk about this. I can only dream, but then I couldn't do it pre MS, however just listening to you has made me wish I had tried.

I am so glad you get these thrills and are able to get the legs and body to work as well as they do. It just sounds so exciting.
    Virginia

14. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Resurface

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Speaking of surfing ~

I watched a short documentary on Netflix, RESURFACE, about wounded veterans, who have learned to surf. For all of them, this is the therapy they needed to prevent them from suicide, depression and despair. A Vet with no legs and only one arm. A vet who is blind and deaf. A Vet with TBI and seizures. They are not deterred.

http://www.resurfacethemovie.com/#intro-horizon-section

Watch the trailer on the site. You will be inspired.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

16. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member jendie's Avatar

I had no caregiver on Friday, one thing I don't understand is why she didn't ring my doorbell, I would have woken up to that. I just went to my mom's house in the afternoon and she gave me a haircut, then did a little grocery shopping and brought $100 worth of food home on my scooter. $100 worth of food isn't nearly as impressive as it was 20 years ago.

Speaking of short people, the toilets in handicap stalls are usually tall for me. I'm a whopping 5' tall, with a 27" inseam and my feet dangle in most chairs, unless I point my toes down.

Jendie
    I've been a member of this forum during its different incarnations since I was dx in 9/98

18. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Jendie, pointing your toes down all the time can be tiring. Sometimes I take the leg/footrests off my wheelchair, if I'm going to a place where the access is poor, and that's when my legs are dangling. It is so tiring that I end up resting my feet on the front wheels.

I'm 4'11" nowadays, down from 5'2" back in the days when I was trying out to be a model.

That's just a joke, of course. There's no way I'd have tried out to be a model.

20. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast