Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changes -

Distinguished Community Member

Default Changes -

I would like to apologize to the forum if my answers have been a bit sharp lately I never realized the trap I had fallen into and it is eating me alive - that is why I am going away for a while. I never realized what a fog I was in until I dropped 30 Mg/Morphine XR and will give it a month and then see if I can drop another10 -15MG - I did it slowly but that and too much alcohol - is no good. I was in a brain fog I don't remember a ot of things although I am not sure that the peripheral Neuropathy played a role. I have cut down the alcohol, a slow process and very hard but with the realizations I have had, It will happen - My favorite, Cocanut rum is gone for good and I am tapering the beer down ( no, I am not a heavy drinker but it was more then I should be doing. Esp. since I have liver issues. I am at a crossroads, folks. which way I go will impact the rest of my life and I know it. I don't want to move, I am considering a single boarder as two would be too many - They will undergo a background and criminal check and I will have a safe secured to the floor for my meds. I am also going to follow Algonesdr's advice and see what else can be done to get me way down if not off, to many things go with the meds. I am not against them, used responsibly, they are a life saver but one has to be careful, I unfortunately found out the hard way. if I do move, it may be out of the area to a community has a lot of like minded people I am a child of the 60's and never totallaly lost that Glad of it too.
    Blessings
    Alex44
    Skypilot

2. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

((((((Alex)))))) ~

Good for you for reducing your meds and alcohol intake. That takes strength and strong will power, and I'm sure that you can do this for your own well being. Perhaps you would benefit from attending AA meetings. Support is very important, while making major changes in your life, and support can also keep you on the right track.

Your liver has been working overtime processing the meds, the alcohol, and coping with Hep. C. Instead of alcohol, your liver needs water. Plenty of water every day and night to flush out the toxins. Put down the beer, and pick up a cold glass of water.

Once you stop drinking alcohol, your glucose level should come down. That's your first step in avoiding diabetes. Your body will miss the sugar from the alcohol, so be careful not to replace it with ice cream, cookies, etc.

Diabetes runs in my family also, and my mother died of renal failure. When her brother (my uncle) was diagnosed with diabetes, he told his doctor that he would conquer it without meds. He changed his diet, and he stepped up his daily exercise. That was 17 years ago, and he is still very healthy. I'm not saying that this works for everyone, because diabetes, like every disease, is different for everyone. But it is definitely a positive, healthy starting point.

As I recall, Peripheral Neuropathy can be associated with Hep. C, so that may be one culprit in you having PN. Now that you've been treated for Hep. C, and once you eliminate alcohol and focus on healthy food, you might find that your PN improves.

Try to take a holistic approach to your healing, a body/mind/spirit approach, engaging in the healthiest pursuits to bring harmony to your being. Once you fully emerge from your fog, you will discover how good a tomato tastes (as agate mentioned), how lovely a flower is, how restful good sleep is.

You certainly don't need to leave us as you follow this path on your journey. We're here, and we'll support and encourage you.

Blessings upon you, Alex ~

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Thank You Rose - No, it is not easy but I can stay on the path to being healthier - I don't know if I told you but the Hep.C is GONE - the VA gave me the cure - Epclusa and Ribavarin No Picnic. my last two test show no detectable virus in my System. Having said that, My precious cynthia should have gotten the cure too - but Medicaid won't pay and the programs for low income folk are not easy to get into so a mixed blessing. I only became aware of the sugar in the beer, I am friends with a VERY knowlegable nurse who , I guess you could say schooled me on things about diabetes. My Mother had it, and I sure you know it is hereditary so I am at risk. I have already dropped a lot of sugar, no more ice cream although I wonder if sugar free is ok? The beer is being worked on, my RNP has told me that my meds are to be cut back, possibly to 0, so I am doing a self taper and I am concentrating on that. when I am at a lower dose, I will attack the beer situation fully - I am drinking less but I can only fight one battle at a time - the VA - well, anything you read in the papers is TRUE - they left me stranded after picking me up - a wait of an hour or more for transport is not uncommon - I now have a gps and will drive myself. Rose, Thank you for your support - you and me go way back and it appreciated. I miss Cynthia terribly and miss her so much - She should have gotten the cure too - but she is at peace now and out of pain, she earned her wings HERE - she is an angel -
    thank you
    Blessings
    Alex44
    Skypilot

6. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

((((((Alex)))))) ~

Type 2 Diabetes isn't exactly hereditary ~ we inherit the "predisposition" to it.

http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-bas...loc=db-slabnav

You might want to explore the above site for more information, particularly about diet and exercise. I am very wary of artificial sweeteners. In some cases, people actually gain weight using artificial sweeteners.

In your beer weaning process, perhaps you could try non-alcoholic beer.

Taking good care of yourself is especially important while grieving. Grief is the Number One Stressor, of all the stressful events in our lives. We are at risk of failing health during the most strenuous part of our grief journey ~ the part you are now experiencing, when it is fresh and raw. So, it's very good that you are focusing on your health now.

Prayers for strength, healing and peace for you ~

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

8. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Exclamation

OOPS! I'm having computer problems. This was a double post!

Rose
    Last edited by Earth Mother 2 Angels; 08-25-2017 at 05:47 PM.

10. The following user says "thanks"

Thank You to Everyone who has replied. I took care of one stressor, Moving, I will get a boarder, or my creditors will have a fit. I will never get anything as nice and the payments aren't bad. If I get a full price offer, (Unlikely) I will move but then I can do a lot more and get in an area that caters to my generation ( I am a child of the 60's.)The beer is hard, I have eliminated most of the obvious sugars, ice cream is gone, Baked beans are gone(bush's - Heavy sugar load, as well as anything else like cake and pastrys. I am not overweight, which I feel is in my favor, I have actually shed a few pounds. As I said before, I am on a slow taper, since this opioid madness has gotten to the VA, Doc. sending mixed signals about my P/M future - my Shrink is getting me in early, praise the lord because I am shredded, but some decisions I have made seem to be paying off for me mentally, like not moving, cutting back on medications (no picnic) and reducing beer consumption. I plan to get on the treadmill someone gave me (Gym Quality and start a morning regiman. Again, Thank everyone for there support Esp you Rose.
    Blessings
    Alex44
    Skypilot

12. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Please don't mix opiods and alcohol. I think you'll find the alcohol is the issue not your pain meds.

14. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've been a Type 2 diabetic since 1984 and went to a doctor-recommended diabetes class. We were taught to inspect the labels for any food we buy, and if a sugar is among the first ingredients listed, we pass up that item.

Honey, molasses, and anything ending in -ose (fructose, lactose, etc.) are sugars. You might be surprised at how many foods have a sugar listed among the first five ingredients.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Welcome to the forum - My drinking is MY business as are my meds.
    Blessings
    Skypilot Steve

I'm glad you got rid of one stressor. Hopefully everything else will fall into place. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast