TBI media portrayal in "Fosters"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TBI media portrayal in "Fosters"

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register... This was a very interesting review by a person with TBI and her sister with Cerebral Palsy about how TBI is portrayed in the show "Fosters"
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

Scene about invisible disability and TBI on “The Fosters”

Text - Support Group / Jesus and Moms - Fosters

TBI Survivor [off screen]:* ...like, blow-up with a friend over, like, nothing.* We were playing a board game and I totally lost it.**

Jesus: [to Lena]* This is pointless.* Can we get out of here?

Lena:* Please, just give it a chance.

Survivor:* I tried to explain that it wasn't me.* That I sometimes literally can't control my emotions.* But people - and even my own family, who spent all those days in the hospital with me - they still don't get it.**

Jesus: [Sits back.* What she's saying is hitting him.]

Survivor:* Because I look fine, they think I should be like I used to be.* They don't understand...*

Jesus: [Looks at Lena; hurt]

Survivor: ...because the disability you have is invisible.**

Stef:[Listens.* Takes this in.]

Survivor:* So, they think you're either being defiant, or not trying, or faking it to get off easy.

Jesus:[Listening, getting emotional]

Survivor: They end up talking about you behind your back.* Not sharing stuff with you 'cause they think that you can't handle it.**

Jesus:[listening, but it's getting harder for him]

Survivor:* ...makes you feel even more alone and isolated.

Jesus: [swallows, tries to keep it together]

Survivor:* But I don't want to tell anyone when I don't understand things.* Or when I forget where I parked my car.* Which happens a lot.

Other Survivors: [laugh gently]

Survivor:* Sometimes I just wish I could fade away because it's easier to be alone than to constantly be misunderstood....

Jesus: [close up on Jesus, struggling to keep composure]

Survivor: ...by people I love the most.

Lena: [sees Jesus upset] Honey...

Jesus: [bolts from the chair]

JESUS - OUTSIDE - MOMS COME TO JOIN HIM

Lena:* That's what we're doing to you, isn't it?

Jesus: [nods, forces a smile through tears]* I know you guys don't mean to but...

Stef:* Love, you don't have to say that, okay?* We've been, uh...

Lena: We've been doing this wrong.* And I'm so sorry.* We really thought that we were just helping you.

Jesus:* I know it's just...every time you guys try to help me it makes me feel like I--I CAN'T do it.* Or like I'm bad.* Or broken, or something.

Lena: [tearfully] Honey, you're not broken.* You're not.* And I promise you that we're gonna stop* making you feel that way.**

Jesus: [exhales, relieved]

Stef and Lena: [hug him]
    Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

Comment

Working...
    X