Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Doctor callbacks etiquette

Distinguished Community Member BBS1951's Avatar

Default Doctor callbacks etiquette

The doc likes me to message him through patient portal. So, on Sunday, I did so re what should I do about Baclofen causing bad constipation. I was asking if I should cutback Baclofen since there was no problem on the lower dose before. But Baclofen is tricky, you cannot just stop it, so I needed guidance on how to cut back.( In the meantime, I have Miralax but I don't know if that's one of the meds you cannot use for an extended period of time)

I never heard back Monday and suspected a technology glitch. So I called this morning, Tuesday. I spoke to his nurse and she said I could call back again if I didn't hear from her by 4 PM

So I called at 4 PM and left message on her voicemail. It's nighttime now, and no call back. Obviously I will call them tomorrow morning.

Do doctors or their staff typically call back same day? Or is that too much to expect? I don't want to be a pest, but this has really gotten me pretty uncomfortable.

And he is out all next week on vacation.

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I usually get a call-back within 24 hours, from the nurse. Only rarely has the doctor called directly. I'm not comfortable dealing with health questions for which I need an immediate answer, by using email. Too much of a risk that it doesn't get transmitted. If you can't get an answer in the morning, You should really raise heck...

I probably would have called Monday afternoon, and asking..did you get my message, here's my issue...
    ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Try using stool softener daily instead of laxatives. Senna is the product I use. Works for me and I use baclofen plus the chemo causes constipation. I also start each morning with a cup of coffee which the nurse practitioner told me to do and it works. Drinking enough water is important. Hope you can stay away from tricky laxative drugs and this information helps.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Frog42's Avatar

Don't be afraid to harass them until they do what they're supposed to. They're not afraid to ignore your calls are they?

Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Someone should return your call. I usually get called back by the doctor's assistant or nurse, sometimes by the doctor.

But in my experience it's quite difficult to get responses from any providers between from about mid-December to after the first of the year. Offices are short-staffed, doctors tend to take time off. But do keep at it. Someone is supposed to be on call taking care of issues that come along.

Increasing diet fiber can work wonders for constipation, IMO. Prunes or prune juice are the obvious thing but there are many other high-fiber foods.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((BBS1951)))))) ~

It's probably the holiday season delaying the doctor's response.

Constipation has been an ongoing problem with my sons, so we've tried everything. I agree with others suggestions, so I will be repetitious.

Water ~ drink plenty of it. Bowels and bladder compete for water, and when you're constipated, not enough water is going to the bowels.

Prunes, Prune Juice, Dates, Papaya, bran ~ high fiber content, and high fiber content can also result in producing gas.

Green leafy vegetables

Oil ~ extra virgin olive oil, or any kind of vegetable oil in your cooking, salads, etc.

We used Fruit-Eze:

http://fruiteze.com/

But you can probably make your own, or make a smoothie with the ingredients.

Milk of Magnesia ~ Good old fashioned MOM. Unless it is contraindicated with your medications, it is the gentlest laxative and usually is effective within a few hours. Take with lots of water.

Avoid constipating foods ~ bananas, rice, cheese, dairy products, red meat (hard to digest).

Glycerin suppositories ~ softens stool in place

Enemas ~ Not the most fun, but then neither is constipation. I highly recommend that you put the enema bottle in a cup of warm water prior to using it. Warms up the solution, which is more comfortable during application.

Activia ~ This is supposed to help regulate the bowels, so it might be something to consider eating on a daily basis.

As for the laxative alternatives, my sons both had terrible gas with Miralax. As I said, too much fiber isn't a good thing. Most laxatives (and other medications and OTC stuff) have Propylene glycol in them. We try to avoid those products. No one can convince me that it is good for us:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propylene_glycol

I'm sure that we've all consumed a ton of it in our lifetimes. But when it's possible, I try to avoid it.

Try treating your constipation in the most natural ways possible to see whether anything is effective, so that you don't have to use chemical alternatives. Once you get going again, try to maintain a regimen of eating properly and drinking plenty of water to keep the momentum going.

Strive for regularity through diet and exercise as much as you can. Movement is important to good intestinal health, which is why my boys suffered from day one from constipation. Jon is bed-bound now, so it's a real challenge to keep him regular. He also can't tolerate real food. So it's MOM, suppositories, and enemas to the rescue.

Sending healing energy your way for relief very soon ~

Love & Light,

Rose
    Last edited by Earth Mother 2 Angels; 12-20-2016 at 05:54 PM.
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

My diet is amazing in terms of plenty of liquid, veg and fruits. Adding figs and prunes did nothing. Miralax is helping, maybe I should change to Senna?

I will call them this morning again. And that's twice I struck out using the portal, which I had been told to use by the doctor. I think I will ditch the portal useage

14. The following 4 users say "thanks"

My diet is amazing in terms of plenty of liquid, veg and fruits. Adding figs and prunes did nothing. Miralax is helping, maybe I should change to Senna?

I will call them this morning again. And that's twice I struck out using the portal, which I had been told to use by the doctor. I think I will ditch the portal useage

16. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Coffee works very well for me, even though I know I need to add more water.
    Roswell was a gift.

18. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Coffee did nothing for me. I used a product called Enemeez for years.. Small, easy to insert, basically glycerine suppositories. Now with a colostomy I don't need anything..more often than not, I have very loose stool.
    ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

20. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast