Thread: Could this be a seizure?

Hybrid View

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Could this be a seizure?

I am posting this for a friend. Over the weekend my friend found their family member on the couch unresponsive. The family member was laying on the couch with their mouth partially open, and was extremely pale and would blink their eyes rapidly but they would not respond so my friend called the medics. The family member has no memory of what happened at all. Could this be a type of seizure?? If so what type? What should my friend do if it happens again?? My friend is terrified it will happen again. If it is not a seizure what else could it be?? Let me know??
    Last edited by funnylegs4; 12-20-2016 at 11:12 AM.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

2. The following user says "thanks"

Hi funnylegs,

there is a possibility that this could have been a seizure and the best thing your friend should do is call the Dr. and let them know what's going on. The family Dr. may in turn
    refer your friends family to see a neuro but if this happens in the meantime be sure that the person is laying on their side if they go into a possible seizure and they don't have
    anything in their mouth. Also if your friends family has a dog the dog can sometime tell 10 min. to 1 hr. if a person is going to have a seizure because the body gives off an odour
    that we can't smell but dogs can and the dog may start to bark. Tell your friend to write down what time the possible seizure happened along with a description this will help
    the Dr. know what's going on and if they see a pattern in the seizure as to what time of day/night a person has seizures or what months of the day.
    Wishing you and your friends family only the best and May God Bless All of You!

Sue

4. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

I agree with Sue (the expert) that what you've described does sound like the symptoms of a seizure. I'm not sure which category of seizure it might have been. Excellent descriptions of seizure types and symptoms here:

http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/types-seizures

Did the paramedics assess the family member? Did they think the family member had a seizure? Was the family member transported to an ER for evaluation?

Again, I agree with Sue that your friend's family member should tell her/his doctor about this episode. A neurologist consult would be in order and probably an EEG.

Is this person taking any medications? If so, those meds should be checked for the potential to cause seizures as an adverse side effect.

Has this person experienced any odd or unusual sensations recently? If so, that could be an aura leading up to a seizure, or that could be a seizure, and now the seizures have generalized.

It's best to err on the side of caution and have a full examination. If this was a seizure, it could be a one time only occurrence, depending upon the potential cause. Or the episode could have been a seizure, which might lead to more seizures. If it was not a seizure, then further testing would be needed to determine what it was.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

6. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Thanks so much! My friend said the family member was transported to the ER but my friend was frustrated because my friend felt the paramedics and docs did not seem to take it seriously,they didn't do an EEG or test the blood sugar(my friend's family has history of diabetes and other blood sugar issues). They even asked my friend if the family member faked it. My friend knows what they saw and has been quite traumatized by it. My friend contacted me all freaked out over it, and rightfully so in my opinion. Hopefully they will get more answers at the next doc visit. So far the family member has been feeling okay and functioning normally.

Rose, I sent my friend your link and my friend is grateful to you! We are not docs but it seems like a complex partial seizure to us from the link description.
    Last edited by funnylegs4; 12-20-2016 at 08:10 PM.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

8. The following user says "thanks"