Page 132 of 132 FirstFirst ... 325782102122127128129130131132
Results 1,311 to 1,312 of 1312

Thread: Politics

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Jeanie, when stories like yours come out, a person has to wonder at how amazing kids are, to be able to survive what they go through--and often they don't feel they can tell anyone about the worst things that are happening to them. Grownups forget that we seem big and terrifying to little people, and they aren't about to open up to us unless they're really on firm ground.

Your uncle was your mother's brother? Even if he was your father's brother, or maybe your mother's sister's husband, I can see where you wouldn't have known how to approach anyone to let them know. Kids are often thought to be making up stories, and at your age you didn't really know how to handle "family dynamics."

Your mom should have picked up on your cues. "Just be ladylike" sounds like a reply from someone who wasn't listening but parents all too often have too much else on their minds.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

2. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I had unwanted advances made toward me when I was a teen. I worked in the dime store after school and on Saturdays and full time in summer. A policeman would come in and hang around my counter, especially if the store was not busy and not many people around. He tried to get me to meet him. I was always anxious when I got out of school. I took "Distributive Education" which allowed me to get out early to go to work. So there were times I was walking alone from school to work, not far, but if I saw a police car I was always nervous. Also, when I got off at nine at night I had to go to the bus stop which was very close to the dime store, but if I was there alone until the city bus came by I was anxious. I always knew he was watching me.

I never told this at home because I could only tell my Mother and she would have felt compelled to tell my Father, who might would have said something like "What is she doing to egg him on?" I was very underage and yet this person who had more power was willing to abuse it. I saw in the paper after I had moved away from Raleigh and come back that he was something like the Chief of Detectives. He is probably either dead or would have retired years ago. It use to bother me somewhat, but I was not molested as Jeanie speaks of.

There was another incident when I was 18 and had just got out of high school. I went to work for Pilot Life Ins. Co. There was a very good looking man there and he started trying to put his hands all over me. If he could catch only me in the office that was dangerous. I remember there being an incident when he actually chased me around my desk like something out of a comedy movie, only I knew if he got me I would be in trouble. He was serious. He was the assistant to the General Manager. His wife had something like 13 miscarriages in 14 years. Finally, the church allowed her to have her tubes tied. They had been turned down by the church for years. I got another job and left. I had to have an exit interview with the General Manager and he asked me if this man had made advances toward me and I told him "no". I was still too afraid to say yes, even though he asked. It was the way things were back then. I wish I could have been brought up under different circumstances, but I went on to meet and work with many men who were nothing but Gentlemen.

Jeanie, I am so sorry that what happened to you got so out of hand.
    Some people in very important jobs can be very bad news, and some of them are finally being exposed but there are others who probably died after having got away with years of abusing the privileges their jobs gave them by taking advantage of helpless people.

There was a big story in Tacoma, WA, some years ago when the chief of police killed his wife and himself right in front of their two small kids. He'd had a long record of abusing the wife, but her complaints had been ignored:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...e-city-manager
    Interesting that his father and brothers were also established policemen. I have nothing against policemen--and in fact a niece of mine is in law enforcement-- but like many occupations (priests, academic people, people in government) they probably protect their own.
    Last edited by agate; Today at 11:54 AM.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

4. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Page 132 of 132 FirstFirst ... 325782102122127128129130131132