Page 148 of 231 FirstFirst ... 487398118138143144145146147148149150151152153158178198223 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,480 of 2301

Thread: Politics

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I hope this idea won't get anywhere. This is the same kind of food that was distributed for years through the "commodities" program. You went to a distribution point once a month, waited in line, had to present ID and sign some papers, and you received government surplus food. It was always rice, powdered milk, sometimes beans and peanut butter. Back then you also got a large block of cheese--5 lbs., sometimes 10.

If this goes through, my income will be reduced by 5%. Really not looking forward to it.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I remember the huge blocks of cheese. I had neighbors who got that and cut off hunks to give away. And I remember seeing a whole chicken in a large can.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

We received commodities when we were first married -- in a roundabout sort of way. A friend, who was a Menominee Indian, was allowed to hunt on the Menominee reservation near us). He would hunt, kill and butcher a deer, distribute the meat to the elders or widows on the reservation. They would "pay" him in commodities-- which he brought to us (for free). His wife, also a Menominee, taught me how to bake bread using them (among other things).

I don't want us to go back to those days!!

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

I don't see how a distribution point could work anyway. Some people just can not get to a designated spot and carry food. However, they are talking about delivering it to individual people. Why don't the idiots just take the delivery cost and add it back into SNAP and it would come out less. In other words leave the program alone and let it continue to help people.
    Virginia

8. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

The article states that distributing the food would be a "logistical nightmare." I'm guessing that they'd reduce the nightmarish quality by setting up central distribution points, as with the old commodities program, simply because many people who qualify for the benefits are homeless or often change their address.

Yes, it would be difficult for anyone disabled or infirm and elderly to get to those distribution points but that's probably the way they'd do it.

I didn't know what to do with so much cheese every month. I decided to use it as protein for dinner on most nights. Dinner consisted of a slice of bread that I'd made, with a few tomato slices on top and 1 or 2 oz. of the cheese, melted. I toasted the bread first and tried to make sure that the cheese just barely melted but the tomatoes didn't get warm. It was supplemented with a vegetable of some kind. It met the requirements for a diabetic meal.

I didn't mind the monotony because it was such an easy meal to make. But even with so much cheese being used, I usually had cheese to give away.

We never got anything fresh, no chickens in cans either, but I heard of people in the rural areas getting fresh vegetables.

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Agate, maybe back then they were experimenting and looking for a better way. I don't know. However, as far as I know the system works now and they need to live it alone. They just seem to be lacking in common sense in this Administration.
    Virginia

12. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

I think he sees poor as feeeloaders and lazy. So he figures if he makes the food bad enough the lazy fakers will just go out and earn a good living.

14. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

The young man who killed 17 people in Florida and injured many others had a history of being troubled and threatening and a history of treatment for mental illness as well.

In February 2017 the current White House resident blocked legislation that would have required Social Security's database listing persons receiving mental health benefits to be used as a way of preventing some mentally deranged people from buying guns. From ABCNews, February 15:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump...ry?id=53113891

16. The following 6 users say "thanks"

18. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agate, maybe back then they were experimenting and looking for a better way. I don't know. However, as far as I know the system works now and they need to live it alone. They just seem to be lacking in common sense in this Administration.
    I think the motivation for this is to disrupt the Farm to table program. I can accept SNap tokens that are specifically design so that they have to be spent on fresh food...at farmers markets etc. Here in MA there is a program called the HIP (healthy incentive program).the HIP program sounds like the kind of program Michelle Obama sponsored. When these programs are cancelled the money goes to corporations selling highly processed and unhealthy food. And, as an extra benefit it puts more small farmers out of business. Sound too sarcastic? I bet I am right.
    Last edited by Lazarus; 02-16-2018 at 03:14 PM.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

20. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Page 148 of 231 FirstFirst ... 487398118138143144145146147148149150151152153158178198223 ... LastLast