Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guests

Distinguished Community Member

Right now at 2A.M. on the east coast there are 32 guest viewing. Weird!
    Virginia

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wouldn't we all see the same number of guests viewing at any one time, regardless of our location? I'm seeing 33 but I looked shortly after you looked, Virginia.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Hello everyone!

As Ann, Howie and Rose figured out, you do not have to be a member to read the forums. If you're a member and you don't log in or you are a non-registered guest just reading, the functions you can use on this forum are limited, for example you wouldn't be able to send pm's.

You can see the number of people who are viewing the forums, as you have noticed. Most of them are guests, some are spiders for various search engines, like "Google spider" that "crawl" through posts and copy them. This is how people find our forums when they type in a query. I have to commend all members of this forum. There was an OT thread here about Windows 10 a while back. Agate had posted about Windows updating being done in a 2-stage process. Then there was a post about Cortana and someone named "SteveII" posted about Cortana being updated in August on the anniversary of Windows 10 and that people wouldn't be able to disable her as they could in the past. SteveII said he wasn't a real member of the forums, but the MS forum and the OT thread about Windows 10 had come up when he was using a search engine and had asked a question about Windows 10. He signed up just to reply to your thread!

What this means is that the MS forum posts information that makes "sense" to the search engines and the MS forum OT thread on Windows 10 probably came up on the first page of Steve's query. Mike said this was one of the ways we could get BT to come up on the first page of search engine queries and you proved it! Here is the link to the thread I am talking about: http://braintalkcommunities.org/show...OT)-Windows-10 post #21.

Congratulations!

There is no way to prevent people from signing up to these forums. Some might be trying to see how easily they can spam the forums, but we have a good spam catcher in place. Some might sign up to be able to read the forums and use the specific functions that only a member can use. Some sign up and never post or come back. We never know the reasons why people sign up.

Moderators and the administration see a more informative forum than members and that helps us perform our duties, like banning possible spammers, deleting threads and editing posts .

Last edited by Moderator #7; 10-08-2016 at 08:03 PM.

6. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

I think you can view here but not post if you aren't registered.?
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Yes, Sally.
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

I had a theory that they were just coming in to see me wearing my SpongeBob Thong, but I guess that's not it. Thanks Mod #7.
    Evolution spans the Universe.

12. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Howie, so sorry your feelings got hurt. Maybe some of them are looking at you!!! You are so gorgeous, that I am actually sure they are.

Agate, yes I am sure we would be seeing the same number at the same time regardless of time zone. I think what I was thinking about was how late at night it was for people to be on here, but of course that was only in my time zone.

Anyway, our gracious Moderator #7 has now explained all this to us. Even I pretty much understand it (I think), so I know everyone on here does.
    Last edited by Virginia; 10-08-2016 at 04:29 PM.
    Virginia

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

I wish some of the guests would talk to us. Gets lonely in here on Mondays...LOL!
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

16. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yesterday there were 45 guests here. Good thing we're not serving refreshments or we'd have run out of food and beverages.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

18. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12