Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guests

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Guests

Others are noticing this and now I'm starting to take a closer look. It's true--there are a sizeable number of "guests" here at any time lately. Sometimes about 30.

Since there are only about 18 people actively and regularly posting here, that seems like quite a few people lurking.

I hope that some of them will decide to conquer their shyness and post occasionally.

We don't bite. Well, I can't speak for Howie's cats but then nobody can.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

2. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Thumbs up

All are invited! The more the better, and I'll even keep the cats at bay until they get to know you. After that, well, just keep your eye on the one called Sam.

How was that Agate?
    Last edited by Howie; 10-07-2016 at 05:08 PM.
    Evolution spans the Universe.

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Frog42's Avatar

I wonder if they're web crawlers looking for somewhere to post spam. I've been getting a lot of it in my Yahoo mail the past few weeks.
    Last edited by Frog42; 10-07-2016 at 05:16 PM.

Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Don't they have to be registered before they can even view this board? My impression is that you need to be registered but you don't need to be logged in.

They could still be spammers. One glance at the membership list for BT should persuade anyone that there are many many registered spammers here. Apparently there is no way of deleting the bogus registrations although they're rather readily identifiable.

Someone who registered 6 years ago and has never posted or shown any activity and whose user name is a strange long string of letters and numbers, for instance.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

My computer has a "spam blocker" you can use, and pick how close it scans an email. So spam goes directly to the delete folder. And here, you can tell how real people are. Remember the "music poster"? Gone.

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

You can't tell about the ones who never post. There are a zillion "people" registered on BT who I'm betting aren't very real.

12. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I do not think you need to be registered to read here.

I could be wrong.
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

14. The following 6 users say "thanks"

I think you're right Ann. One of my car forums, it won't even acknowledge I'm there unless I want to post, then have to log in. As soon as I leave, I'm just a lurker when I look in again. I check the "remember me", but it never does.

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((agate)))))) ~

BT is a public forum, and anyone can view it. One doesn't have to be registered to view/read here. A registered member, who isn't logged in, shows up as a "guest."

At least that is how BT was 16 years ago, when I first discovered it on line. I was searching for a forum for parents of special needs children and found BT's Child Neurology forum. I lurked as an unregistered guest for weeks, before I joined.

Whether we have 30 unregistered guests, or members who aren't logged in, or they are spammers, or "spam bots" (I think they're called), who are viewing the MS forum, is a good question for Mike. Or perhaps Moderator #7 knows the answer.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

18. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Thanks, Rose. Now that you mention it, I lurked for a while before joining here too, and I was able to read everything that was posted.

I'm glad if it's still this way. Just wondering if there might be some way of deleting the bogus memberships but I asked about this a while back, and it's not feasible.

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast